Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

dude

did you lose your head on that giant air . come on i have seen your girls ripping those waves to pieces, thanks for the kind words. i think some day there with be many rc surfer shapers all over

the world ,just like surfing ,, but lets hope they let us have a little fun with it first...

maui john
Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

kite

i got a few waves today but not as nice as yours
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24057.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1810008  
Old 10-10-2012, 06:00 PM
kitekook

That goofy foot dude done already?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM
kitekook

did you lose your head on that giant air . come on i have seen your girls ripping those waves to pieces, thanks for the kind words. i think some day there with be many rc surfer shapers all over
Nah. lost the head almost immediately for a tumbler with the whitewash...I was surprised when it happened...

He surfed real well once he got 'out of his head'...

The Divas do indeed surf well...but the cost is high.....half the run times, half the Speed, half as high, half,half,half....I guess it's not bad that I was able to get within 1/2 my mentors board in the first year.

The difference was shocking...matter of fact I am still in shock. I came home after two batteries....just couldn't wait to get started on the next board!

It really has given me inspiration for this second year.

The Divas will not allow me to rest!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Hey MJ,

That could be a winner for biggest wave ridden by an RC Surfer Photographed To Date.
Thick, Hollow, clean and Offshore. Great Shot !
Has to be a 10 - 12 ft face
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Hughengland

Ripping John - you found much better waves than I did.
- Paia Bay was big, messy, storm surf, very difficult to get out to lineup and avalanches of white water on every set
- wish I had driven west side today.
- Jaws was breaking - wall to wall people on North Shore today - frikin zooooooo

Surfcurls
- MJ wave is 5' 9" face......................what kinda tape measure you get?
- kidding aside
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM
kitekook

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jil65lhG-l8&feature[/youtube]
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

surfcurls

thanks , i have seen you catch bigger ones than that at bro down #2 ,, here is a wipe out pic

maui john

Name:	Yw67769.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1810123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53828.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1810124  
Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 AM
YPC

Euphoria !...at work

..Some great 'moments' captured in time...Looks like Maui is going off........great waves........... I'd love to see some actual video 'action' !

Kite.?....I feel happy for you as you share that MJ's board surfs so well, even as you compare it to yours.....looks like you had a blast with it !...I guess a surfer 'without ' his head....can turn heads....LOL
Yet... I am also left kind of puzzled, thinking to myself that even after you have watched the MJ build DVD numerous times - completed '16 plus board builds' this year & having actually met and surfed with MJ- you say yours are not quite there yet ?.....not even close you say !
I would have thought with you now been able to (IYO)- judge exactly what the Best Board in the World is....you would have known better by now...perhaps, as you say then- it would have been wiser for yourself to have simply purchased the Maui******** 'in the first place'........yet you are going to build more ?........go figure.
After 16 boards - you say you are half way there - perhaps after another year -totaling 32 boards later ........ you'll have done it !...............!!!

Besides MJ's Boards been amazing (agreed)- even though its head has broken off twice in average surf ( being The BEST 'n all ?)...I assure you -besides your personal experiences and judgment - their are a good number of 'other' ******** boards available out there -if you really have watched most uploaded videos unbiased - from Kyhoso - Tubby- QD's production boards being modified - to numerous custom built boards from all around the world, that have brought equal performance - joy and pleasure - you seemed to have only 'just' experienced, to many a folk......

Lets not forget what this forum is all about...........sharing the STOKE !.....with all ! for all !

As a matter of interest....just to try and extract some actual facts and figures to better compare......

-How much did your maui******** cost you?........or are you an agent.......I see your business card promotes maui********.
-What was your actual average run time in minutes with what size amp packs ?
- What does the entire board/surfer- ready to surf weigh ?
-What is the length and width of the board?

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

# move on

Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 AM
kitekook

Bro Surfer

Sorry if my opinion differs from yours.

Just adding my opinion to as the best way to proceed if you/I were starting today...needed to point out that there was another 'way' to go

else, newbies might think you possess the keys to the kingdom and follow your every word.

I bought my Maui Surfer used...and paid accordingly.

The Surfer does have some issues....as John lent the board out alot while in SoCal and it took some abuse along the way...nothing a little epoxy won't heal ...looks like he used CA to fix it last time...he was on the 'road'.

Agents are needed only to those that dream of mass production, conquering the World, or making their names' famous.

I think Maui******** wants to Surf first and foremost...
building a few models along the way to pay for his passion...He does't need agents to push what he cannot possibly build.

The links on the back of my 'Calling' card (I am not in business) are for the people on the beach that ask all the questions, giving them places to look for more information online, ends the questions, and they go back to enjoying the Surf action...that's it.

I suggested emailing right away and start begging for a board because the building process wears you out and then it becomes work....and we all have jobs we do not need another!

Here are the numbers you asked for...

RTS 6.85 lbs

Weighed him last night at the Fed Ex ....with his head along side him on the scale..lol...my last two boards were 8.5 and 9.15 lbs..gotta fix that much right away

My video camera recorded 26 and 28 minutes of video on the two battery packs I ran yesterday. +/- a little for turning the thing on, walking 20 feet to the Surf, and then turning it off as I exited the water.

The board is 34 inches long and 11 1/5 wide

I use 4s 5000mah nano tech batteries

I had Starbucks Venti medium blend to jump start me.

Hope those numbers help you.
To me numbers are ....well just numbers...until someone hands you the Radio and you take it for a spin in the Surf you will not understand..
The board ran longer, ran faster, was 'light' across the top of the water without being 'cork ie(like so many of the smaller production boards), and carved the heck out of the waves.

Last Spring I had the opportunity to burn a battery and it radically changed the way I was making my Surfers...yesterday will mark another radical change...

For one, I am going to Surf that Dude more often so I can remember what I am striving for...let you know if/when I get there.

PS Your are 100% correct when you said it would be better to just buy the Surfer from Maui and be done with it...It would be cheaper, and my family would be happier if I did not spend so much time at it....but I like to build things with my hands, I can not get it out of my head., and if not this it would be something else.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 AM
ronkytonk

Hey Guys,
Havnt been around for a while but I came acoss this deal at banggood.com, looks like a kyosho??

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-No...t-p-48059.html

not a bad deal..
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 AM
jocktime

Hey Ronkytonk,
Haven't heard form you in a long time. When are you coming to see us again.

Name:	Ki18082.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1810304  
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM
ronkytonk

Hey,
Great Pic!!
Iam also YYCSpyhawk on youtube, Icommented on your last video. Just got back from a 10 day in Oahu with me and my youngest daughter. The the wife and oldest daughter are mad at us, soooo looks like we are trying to plan a January Maui trip. It started snowing here today so I am finding it hard to say no to Maui right now!!..

I am subscribed to your youtube channel so I will let you know, keep up the vids Ienjoy them everytime!..
-Ron-
Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 AM
surfcurls
Banned

Ronky, Its not Kyosho, It's The NQD, Which is The Model YPC is going to Modify.

Dom might end up liking the way the NQD Mod surfs better than the "Bro" 1 X 1 Model he spent all the time "perfecting"
and Ironically Come to the conclusion that it would have been easier to Simply Buy one, Mod it and be done with it ...

Secret Agent Kite, As you also graciously List me on Your Cards, Your Commission Check Is in The Mail. LOL
Your Opinion Should Not Offend anyone, This forum is all about opinions
Some may look at using this forum to gain other Objectives.
I can personally attest, it does not work. Been there, done that.
Others will find that true as swell ...

About Sharing The Stoke:
Here is a video on the Kelly Slater Rc Surfer Model
You can hear the stoke these folks are getting from it.
They may feel they have the best Rc Surfer in the world.
They would be 100% right just by removing the RC aspect ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV4r-dWffrg
Old 10-11-2012, 12:17 PM
YPC

Hey Kite & Curls.........you are so right, we are all entitled to have and publicly share our own opinions.....hence mine.

Opinions are great..... I appreciate and respect most all..... my opinion of the Maui******** boards are of High regard..certainly a leader in the Custom builds. I have great respect for John - for his opinions - and appreciation for what he has done for the sport.....simply a legend.......his work certainly inspired my custom builds to where they are to-day.

But KITE....I feel compelled to challenge your very biased 'ADVISE' - in fairness to 'all the folk' who have added there part - and there are PLENTY - even including the Chinese manufacturers of the Kyhoso & NQD's - who have been the life blood in building this awesome sport over the past almost 30 years to where it is to-day.....your statement (not an opinion) frankly negates all there input and effort.....! - without most of these good folk.........I doubt whether there would be a Maui********...and without these good folk into the future.......well need I say more.
To openly ADVISE/STEER/ENCOURAGE 'all' on such an open community forum 'to only' consider purchasing a Maui******** if they are looking at getting into the sport, is frankly not sharing an opinion- but rather acting either in ignorance or arrogance. It may not have been your experience with any of the boards you happened to surf - but I assure you - there are 'many' out there who have excelled and are still excelling at rcSurfing......without a Maui********....thanks to either there own God given talents and efforts or some other source / contributor or supplier......I'll high-lite a few great rcsurfing videos dating back to the early 2000's for you if you like..I understand John is your mentor and mate......but hey !...moments like these certainly brings the true sentiment of Teddy Roosevelt to mind.....good luck with the rest of your builds.

Curls....just to set you up on the same page as myself 'yet again'....you are always a few pages behind....I am not 'wanting to sell' the mod production boards as a better performance option to my Bro Custom build - IMO - my Bro's surf just fine - and as for the current orders I have - it seems to be the opinions of others as well. I'm rather looking to be able to offer the upgraded NQD board as a far more affordable entry level option...low risk investment......as there are no others on offer.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 PM
surfcurls
Banned

YPC , Your post about your NQD Mod Idea was literally a page behind this one LOL.
I understood you want another option, And my Comment was in regards that you might actually like The NQD
And Find It surfs as well or better than what you are used to surfing.

To Further Knowledge - The KYOSHO was made in JAPAN. Not China.
There are other modified NQD Models currently on Offer.
Kites comment was an opinion, even if it is Advice, a suggestion, an endorsement, they are all still opinions.

Hopefully, your new product will achieve the same positive opinions, But then again They are just that ...

In Reality terms, Do you think someone is going to read 222 pages of this thread, spend all that time
and then go buy a board from Surfcurls, Maui or Bro ??? Doesn't happen.
In Fact you didn't yourself, you wanted to build them to sell right from the start.

The guy that should be upset about Kites post is MJ himself I don't think he wants 1000 orders next week LOL
Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Hughengland

Kite: you are correct MJ boards are the best I have tried - they work very well in every situation
My first build & still my best board, Silver Surfer was using MJ's cd & ideas
My other 6 builds, I have gone and tried my own designs and ideas - none work in all conditions - MJ's work unreal in all conditions.
My next build will be different again - Hugh's search for the perfect design........that MJ has already figured out!

Dom: I can see why you want to promote rc surfing - especially as you are probably the only one in Africa!
You will love it when there are a few of your mates to go share the stoke with.
That's how I feel on Maui with just 4 of us.
BUT when all 3 or 4 of us hit the water at once it sure feels crowded fast..............

I do not want to see rc surfing promoted at all locally on Maui
I'm ok seeing it progress along it's own (sometimes selfish) lines with the home builder.
I would hate to see them sold in shops anywhere - once that happens they will be banned from beaches shortly thereafter.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Hugh,

There are Actually quite a few Rc Surfers already In SA. With Doms Bro Rc $urfer there will be a couple more.

Real surfboards are dangerous, I know of a local from Cali, a 14 year old that was mearly wading in the shore break
at Waikiki and a drifting heavy longboard came in without a leash and killed Her. Very Sad.
But Oahu, Didn't ban Surfing, Nor created a leash law.

The Thought of Rc Surfing Being Banned is Not Gonna Happen.
The only Problems we had in the past was that OZ Beach patrol
used 75 Mhz Radios, and The Radio's were banned from the beaches, to not interrupt their communication system.
With The 2.4Ghz It is Now a non issue.

Everytime you take your board out, You are indirectly promoting it on Maui. There is no way around it.
The Boards will never be sold in shops, Since The Internet came alive. It's just the sign of the times.

Protecting The Ocean Dwelling Public simply requires Common Sense.
"Just keep Clear" From others in the water. Simple as that ...

The main goal at RCSA is to protect the rights of RC Surfing If ever needed.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:38 PM
kitekook

I am rather unlucky... in that I have never found the 'Holy Grail' of anything the first time out, I just plug along learning from my errors, hoping that one day I achieve what my mind is imagining.

Mike Schmidt, famous third baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies, said in an magazine interview I read a long, long, long time ago...and I paraphrase...'The Road to Mastery takes Five Years'

I have found this to be true in own my life experiences...with Skiing, the Fighter Kites, Kitesurfing, Flyfishing, and Archery...it took about 5 years and that was as good as it was gonna get.

So Here we are,

Year 2, Boards #1 and #2...

I spent all day today...making a new Template...measuring the Maui Board I have, remeasuring, then cutting it out of the particle board, checking the symmetry, sanding, checking, sanding, Ect., Ect.....all the while dreaming of Big Surf and of a Magical Board and Rider...No Radio, No TV, just alone in my thoughts...keeping my mind free to put forth 100%...this is when I do my best work.

I ended today with two blanks...outlines all squared up, the Vee set in one...

I had hoped to get that far with both...but I have to pace myself...

I'm looking at 150ish hours of labor...for these boards and riders to make it to the Surf.

I decided to make them both since I was lucky enough to acquire another Leopard 3665-B-2300 motor, this one new, from my daily search online for these motors...very hard to find these days.

I have all the supplies I need...so Nikki and Melika will not be scraped for parts...
...no something far worse yet glorious awaits them...

I think I will do a Diva and her Boyfriend this time...high time I made a 'Dude Surfer...

My Lipos are all in Storage charge, if it gets good I will return to Trestles, till then I am sliding into 'Build Mode' again...it will be make or break with these two...I will give it my best...I hope to get at least 300 Batteries out of these two...but they very well may only be steps on that 'Road towards Mastery'.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 PM
trippergreenfeet

YPC, with your concernstowards safety practicesof new RC Surfers coming into the hobby, may i suggest a simple set of "code of ethics" like have been done for crowded surf spots. Include a copy with each surfer sold.

www.surfrider.org.au/archive/initiatives/education_rtb/06_01_surf_etiquette_2.php

www.natyoung.com/spirit.html

Old 10-11-2012, 11:31 PM
YPC

Hi TGF.....that is a cool display...thanks for the info.

A Proactive thought I have had and just starting to discuss with our local life saving body - is issuing each ******** with a operating card -after they declare they understand the expected rules. Without it - no rcSurfing for the operator will be permitted . This will enforce a sense of responsibility upon the operator and manage accountability, should they act era-responsibly. It will be seen as a preventative measure and hopefully draw the life guards into helping manage the activity from the outset.
Fortunately -the Beach management love the ******** - they see the attraction and its value in adding to folks visit to the beach..........

I may even start a 'Ride Rental'.....that should get some folk going.

Curls....Way back, when I set my heart on getting a ******** - I looked for available 'upgraded NQD's' ..,hoping to find a Off the Shelf solution to my burning need...I visited your Surfcurls site to see your top of the range PRO board in action on your video page.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NbgHQ43iC-A ....and frankly - if that is as good as yours gets..for $600. hence - I now build my own boards......( no wonder the comment option is closed)
....besides your two Bro Down momentary surf rides I've seen....I cant say that I have ever seen any more of you and your boards in actual surf action....even within these 222 pages.....which I have read.

Here is a challenge.....post just 5 minutes of 'yourself surfing your best upgraded NQD board in any reasonable surf - then- I'll post 5 minutes of myself surfing Bro...just in case you have not seen the recent 20 video's I posted in only the past two months......then lets leave others to actually decide - based on 'what they see'- not what they are merely told.
Come on....just 5 minutes....

You may have sent a few boards to SA in the past - but I assure you - I have not seen one of them been joyfully enjoyed in the surf....send me the contact details so I can connect.
As a matter of fact....I have prospered well from this forum to date and find it a great platform to promote rcSurfing & source product.......A little tip....folk like to SEE things !

SEEING IS BELIEVING- TALK IS CHEAP !.................coming sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon!

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 AM
bearcave

Hey YPC... and all other NQD/Kyosho Lisa/ real KYOSHO/Waveshark and other production surfers under 2kg.......3900revs 2Ssounds good (itsfishi and jimmi may not agree) but almost like the 2200revs 3S i run ok in my boards...
Battery sizes and rateings are changeing fastthese daysatm2S batts that fit the std NQD/Kyosho cavity have way more mha than 3s....tune the motor prop wave sizeand operater ability hey should equal long run time.........best of luck sealing them but!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:25 AM
bearcave

[/quote]
Everyone should know this... and learn to swim.... before they enter the surf.... or life in general
Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 AM
trippergreenfeet

ORIGINAL: bearcave
Everyone should know this... and learn to swim.... before they enter the surf.... or life in general
Ihave a couple of laminated copies around the house. Ihave also given copies of this to some groms around my area who have started surfing, without having surfing parents to teach them the way.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 AM
kitekook

Team HomeSchool

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.