Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 10-13-2012, 04:36 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

I guess I should say that I wasn't cutt'n on any west coasters or 808 posters in my above entry.

Do the math.

I'll lurk off on the outside hoping I can make the break for now. Keep up the great work it is inspiring.

Casey
Old 10-13-2012, 06:39 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glaze
No Worries, Get into the stoke, This is ACTUALLY an Rc Surfer Friendly Forum, Believe it or not ...

Just a ton of passion, which is great. BUT as in real surfing, at times it gets Territorial, Tribal and Personal. Which is not a good thing.
Every Person that has interest in Rc Surfing, Takes the time to come on this forum is what it is truly all about. THE STOKE and Amazement of it all ...

Every Opinion, Question, Suggestion, Thought from anyone has a lot to offer to this unreal Hobby/sport that is really only 10 years old.

Red
shoot me an email
[email protected]

Power
Ty for dakine words we try.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 PM
redeyejedi

will do curlz.

cleaning up the hull a bit
first fill

first sand after fill

goin at it with finer grit tomorrow and see how it feels.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 AM
powerpark

Hey Red Lookin Good! Thanks for the photos! Pick up a few extra props for back up. The stock red ones broke on me. The ran good , but some how they break. And watch you hands around that prop. I think it hit my hand and cliped off a fin. Besides that Stoke Up and Go for it. Its more than a feeling!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:01 AM
bearcave

hey YPC... regardeing post 5552.

You are probably right bang for buck... espc as the 2s batts have the bigger mah atm.... My dudes are still runnin the 3s batts and in little waves average approx 20mins run time. Yes i get some tourque spin from the30mm prop and have tried smaller props but facts are i rarely use the top end except for big waves and getting out the back fast........but whenthe motors and batts pack in i may go back toa 2s setup.

Was postinmainly to give the other production board dude's watchin what could work...reckon weare both helpin espec you with the mathamatical stuff and yeh props mean heaps regardeing runtime speed or grunt ...... operater preferences prevail there but hey.

Heyredeyejedi.... could be wrong but it looks like you skinned your kyosho! Wheni carved my one down i still had plastic on most ofit except the railsso justepoxied a strip of glass around them to finish the sealing....I totally changed the tail too but hey seeing you are fully skinned and back to basics reckon you should maybe fill in the tail toreduce the rocker then glass the whole thing proper hey be bulletproof then.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:19 AM
bearcave

BTW i dont know much i just like surfin my boards..... hopefulywhen myhelmet cam gets happening i can show some vids of my surfers... until then my thoughts are just what works for me andif it helps anyone else gettin into it i'm happy....if notdoesn't matter shareing is careing andthats what this forum is about hey.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:05 AM
longboard dave

Alohato the members of the RC Surfing world. My respect to each of you. My name is Dave andI have been surfing for the past 30+ years but have recently been introduced to the RC surfingexperience through the internet. As I sit here on the beach andstudy the break (this forum) I realize that I am not ready to paddle out into your line up and charge the first swell that comes along. But as a respectful Grom, I was hoping for some advise from the elders. I have read much of the last 244 pages but not all. So maybe a quick sum up of".. the best way to start rc surfing would be to ....." I appreciate any help that you may offer..

Mahalo

"I'd Work to surf and live my life exactly how I do now, no regrets." Sion Milosky (1976-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 AM
redeyejedi

ORIGINAL: bearcave

Hey redeyejedi.... could be wrong but it looks like you skinned your kyosho! When i carved my one down i still had plastic on most of it except the rails so just epoxied a strip of glass around them to finish the sealing.... I totally changed the tail too but hey seeing you are fully skinned and back to basics reckon you should maybe fill in the tail to reduce the rocker then glass the whole thing proper hey be bulletproof then.
i am still absorbing all the info being shot my way, and boy it is a lot of great info!
not sure what skinning/skinned is, or if it is good or bad, but i did cut/sand away the excess plastic from the sides and filled with plastic welder epoxy and sanded again....might go back with finer grit.
can you elaborate on the tail mod?
thanks.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM
powerpark

I think what he is refering to is the plastic edge around the board. I left mine on. I figured that it would wear down by its own. But either way you will be fine. Kyosho made a good strong board.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 AM
powerpark

Longboard - They show up on ebay once a while /  check out surfcurls or rcsurfrider.com
Old 10-14-2012, 06:13 PM
surfcurls
Banned

That's one thing I hate about the Kyosho Hull and Dude. The Trimming of the excess mold lip.

No matter how careful I was, even trying different tools and methods on a many number of boards
I always hit the foam, or opened the seal. Nothing that a bit of epoxy or glass can't resolve. But it was a Hassle.
One Safety Note: Don't use an exacto knife like the instructions state. One slip and you loose a finger.
An orbital sander or dremmel worked safer for me. I can still "High 5" lol

I Suggest, In my Humble opinion ( Verified by experience) Just trim the mold lip how you want it,
then go back and seal the voids, prime , paint and clear cote the hull and it will be fine.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

longboard dave

welcome,, i think all of us agree the best way to start is to score a good deal on a NQD or if you are lucky a original kyosho like powerpark .. then rebuild the inside make sure its water proof ,, and then have the time of your life. but be careful it is very addicting , and can get costly,,we will help you any way wecan just ask..

redeye looking good,, shes almost ready

maui john
Old 10-15-2012, 04:57 AM
YPC

Howzit Longboard Dave....a Big welcome to the Forum.....

To 'second' MJ's good suggestion.......here is a link that currently is the cheapest option to obtaining a stock NQD online ( postage included in the price) - amazing !
PayPal registered.....makes it easy enough.
The guts are worthless - and - as you have read most of the forum, you will have a good idea of what needs to be done.... all simple enough !

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-No...t-p-48059.html

Then drop into Hobby King........grab a water cooled motor ( 3000 - 3900 kv brushless motor / 2s 5000mAh plus batts / 60 A plus water cooled ESC) - 27 mm prop - HK 2.4 Gig radio - inexpensive 5A lipo balance charger....

All told - you could have a GREAT board for around $250 - $300 - depending on the number of batteries ( 3- 4 should be enough - giving you 45 - 60 minutes total run time)

Get hooked !........its a 'upper'....with no known side effects......the rush just gets 'better' & 'better'

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 AM
powerpark

Yea I second that on triming the Dude. I thought it was me. I trimmed it with dremel and then sand paper. I did the best I could. But that line was still there. LoL , Kyosho did a great job designing the dude.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:05 AM
kitekook

Longboard Dave...welcome to our little family

All good advise unless your the kind of person that likes the BEST! in everything.

If your on the CHEAP then the previous advise is GOLDEN...just be prepared to want more out of RC Surf than that, and spending more 'down the line'

Prepare your self for lots of questions at the Beach, routine maintenance and plenty of repairs...provided you use your model in any sizable Surf...regardless of the Surfer you use.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:42 AM
bearcave

longboard dave....
powerparkmentionedhow you canget started... or get em cheap on ebay etc then rip em to bits and start again......
David Reece has a good dvd of how to do mod a foam Kyosho and a lot of the stuff relates to the hollow boards too...if you are into building one of your own maui john has a dvd..... hope to get a copy soon too but so much to do ha the distraction would be too much then i'd be building not workin and....

Anyway real Kyosho's aresolid likemost customs while nqd/wavesharks/kyosho lisa's etc are hollow hard plastic and need hull sealing.... and deck and component sealingis another thing electronics hate moisture..... the engine room at some time will be flooded....waterproofing all the individual components is the key....

If still keen remember if you haven't done any rc stuffbest youget an electric car to practice with.... batts chargeing and basic radio stuff is part of the trip and how to get your head out of reality and into the radio is bestlearn't in a carpark... or basketball court... or in the air if your into planes....

.................................................. .................................................. ............

Haha redeye... Skinned meant i was just commenting that your board is just esky foam.. no skin!.... the plastic sheeting around the foam is not there... when i built my one it had a lip of plastic where the top and bottom sheetsmet (surfcurls/powerpark bothmention this last posts) and when its filed down nice you always end up with uncovered foam.... and it should be sealed off..... real and cosmetic wise....
You seem to have no skin you have to make some, just like a realsurfboard has a fiberglass and resin skin.

Tail mods are varied everyone has their own preference depending on what or how they surf.......my kyosho went good in tiny waves but couldnt handle speed no matter how much weight i put up front..... reducing the tail rocker the board handled speed better..... i filled in a lot between the prop skegandthe trim tab.... in this and other forums you will see negative rockers are happening too..... up to you what you do i spent years getting it close still going
Old 10-15-2012, 07:24 AM
kitekook

LongBoard

Take of instance the Radio....the communicator of our desires...my brain to my Divas'.

These are the 2.4 gHz Radios I have used for RcSurfing...

FlySky FS-GT2-2
$14.00 plus shipping
This Radio DOES work. GOOD Range, limited features....it DOES work.
I use it on my Rc LandYacht now where I do not need many features....left/right, in/out, and minor adjustments

FlySky FS-GT3B
$39.00 plus FREE Shipping Cont US (orders over $50.00)

I really like this Radio.I have three...kept setting them down where the Waves could get to them...[:@] it has GOOD range and an excellent feature set, fully programmable. Would be my choice for a 'Value' Radio.

There is a FS-GT3C 'C'...have not heard much...except that the on/off switch is in the steering wheel, which the reviews thought a bad idea. I wouldn't go there yet...it cost more anyways and is unproven at this time.

Spektrum DX3S
$249.00 plus shipping

I used this Radio next...I like the 'Best'!
There was all this talk on this forum about the value of Telemetry...you should see ItsFishi's Break...SCAREY!

So I bought this Radio and a marine receiver....believing their ads..
Fantastic Feature set, advanced Programming, Countdown/up timer, a whole line of very cool accessories...
like interchangeable hand grips...boy did that radio feel good in my hands...

In my 'opinion' this Radio SUCKS for our purposes....its SOOOOOOO Smart, Smarter than ALL the rest of the Radios that it goes behind a wave and loses contact with the World, then takes 4 seconds to reBind...it has a whole book full of calculations, it HAS to do, before it can have fun...well 4 seconds and the next wave or wall of whitewash is upon us....USELESS...It just washed in.

If you do not believe me, I have one I will sell you CHEAP!

$199.00 Free Shipping
Airtronics MX-3X

This is my current Radio....

Excellent Range, Very Good feature set with advanced programming...although it would be nice to have had a timer...for those that are obsessed with run times,and replaceable grips for different hand sizes, but it feels good in my hand.

It does not like to get Salt water on it...BEWARE![&:]
The FHSS-3 technology is fantastic! It never seems to lose its bind...or at least it rebinds so fast that you never even realize you lost it.

This is the BEST Radio for RcSurfing. I can't imagine using anything else without wanting for this Radio.

No, I am not an Electrical engineer, nor can I offer hard data...my expertise comes from the fact that I own and have used all these Radios for our passion RcSurfing.

There you have it LongBoard...the full range of Radio options...you can start Cheap and work your way up (like I did)....or you can 'Cry once' and just jump to the BEST!

Shall we talk about Servos next? I have a whole box of 'value' servos before I discovered the BEST! I have to warn you they are over $100.00 each....but if servos give you Orgasim.....

edit....Here is a photo of all the 2.4 Ghz Radios I have used for Rc Surfing

Do not want anyone confused, thinking I was being dishonest, and secretly sponsored by Airtronics...although that would be nice!

Airtronics are you following this thread?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Hughengland

Hugh - seconds Kite on the Airtronics MX-3X - don't get second best when it comes to tools, toys & women
Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 AM
K-H2o

Jedi - If you are still looking for weather strip this is the best .  You may want a diffrent size.  http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3556/=jqftae

To find leaks compressed air is a great help.  Take out the driveshaft and blow in the stuffing tube. you will hear / feel the leak.  Be carfull to not blow up your board.

To All -   Remember !!   No toy has the right of way to a person in the water !!!!    Keep EVERYONE stoked on RC Surfing !!!

Tripper-
  Did your friend ever give you the low down on Y versus D windings ?

Aloha, Karl 
Old 10-15-2012, 10:58 AM
YPC

Hey Guys...

For what it is worth.....

I can honestly report that the $14 Hk radio has served me very well ( especially the later RX's with the longer aerial) It has throttle and steering trim as well as steering proportion settings, which works fine for the ********. I dont even run an external antenna on my board...simply tucked into the housing.
Still using the first one I purchased.....even after a good few splashes and drops. I also like the optional direction antenna.
The rx's are small & dirt cheap.

- for servo's - this little $14 digital all metal gear servo has been super..its fast..low amp draw....not broken one yet....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9391..

ESC's .....60 - 120 amp.......make sure it has a BEC lead and that the BEC voltage matches the voltage input of the servo you chose to use. The only ESC I dont like due to poor performance is Birdie.

- for batteries - 5000mAh plus 35C is a safe bet......from my data I have gathered a rough rule is - a ******** needs 100 watts for every 1kg - so a 2kg board pulls around 200 watts.
If you are going to be running a 2s set up = 7.2v's therefore = 30Amp draw down - so at 80% battery draw down = 1000mA's - you will still have a 35amp draw down capacity in your battery.

I have no doubt that there are ' far better' products - however - for my size set up of board - 700mm (28") long / 2kg in weight - 2930kv motor / 3s set up - these products have well proven to be more than capable of doing a great job at possibly 1/10th of the cost.

Bro rcSUurfer. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Looked at some older footage of Rc Surfing on You Tube.

This was the first High performance Custom Built Surfer (In My Opinion)
Maui Johns "Yellow Mon" Circa 2008
MJ - I hope you still have that board, someday it will be in the Rc Surfer Hall of Fame ...

MJ hit the sweet spot on custom boards from build one.
They only got better from there...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cupYw3Og0_g[/youtube]
Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 AM
bearcave

Thanks to the fact a little water can keep us all alive for a few days more its good to see we are all talkin about surfin again......

BTW Maui Johns Yellow mon back then showed methat i wasn't the only one that thought this somewhat out there rc persuit was reaching for the big waves...... nice post surfcurls.

All that share and contribute on this forum no matter in bussiness or just cruisin are part of the scene. The knowledge and stufffromthe many who areinto their own trips regardeingelectrics to hull shapes drivelines green energy custom dudes etc or just startin their own trip are all part of it...... surfin is good hey lets keep it that waywaddyareckon.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 AM
YPC

Howzit Besarcave....... thanks mate -All's good by me......in Africa we develop a thick skin to survive the heat !.....no sunblock needed.... eventually we dont need to stand in the shade to feel cool...........LOL

Let me take this opportunity to clearly STATE my position for all to completely understand it........hopefully paving a better future for all concerned going forward.

........Bro ******** is my current STOKE!....only 8 months in and I'm really loving it.. I love sharing it all 'with all' who are genuinely interested.....much the same as my Gas F1's...... I hold nothing back.....no need to.

The fact that I now have a Bro Surfer - a very basic 'web site' and produced over 20 short clips of rcSurfing over the past two months surfing in SA- is merely to play a part to promote rcSurfing, especially in SA, giving it some local substance.

The Bro speel in th eweb and the price on the web is simply to show an intrinsic value of a custom build 'to be appreciated' and for the 'odd' interested person who would 'really like to 'just' purchase one'...simply because he/she can- like it- and wants it............believe it or not, they are few and far between.....but they are out there, it even surprised me.......

I really would not want to wake up every day to have to make one of these little guys.....I assure you.....simple reproduction is not fun......far from it

Bro ******** is 'certainly not a Profitable Business proposition for myself' as some really seem to think..more like a NPO (A NON PROFIT ORGANISATION)...LOL...I reckon I would make more money as a online data capturer, than what I could hope to make, making/ selling the odd Bro ********........genuine....if anything......this COSTS money........and lots of it.
I dont think I would ever recoup my time spent, let alone my money spent, developing my Bro.......if I was doing this to 'make a profit'.....it would simply be a dead loss upfront.
At best a TAX right off..........FORTUNATELY...........I love it - and that's what makes it worth it for me !

My actual daily intention interacting on RCU ! - 'which I believe is well proven and documented within the now 70 odd pages since my involvement in RCU ******** from around February 2012 - to date is to 'share' all my past rc boating experience - and all the ******** gunk I have come to realize - discover - experience and know - in as much detail as one would need to understand it, to the point that it will hopefully benefit others. On all 3 ******** forums to-date,which I have been a part of thus far - I have spent many many hours documenting - sharing detailed calculations - explanations - process's - photos and videos in the hope of in lightning - encouraging - adding value - to anyone out there wanting to 'know more'........all for FREE...... simply, yet intently .......sharing the STOKE !

A few occasionally rub me up the wrong way - give their opinions but dont enjoy mine or my response - get my 'attitude flowing'......... but hey...... I'm hear to stay for now - still enjoying the interaction with the many others, such as yourself who genuinely appreciate the well intended contributions....and interaction.

I am currently working on a ' CUSTOM BUILD Bro ******** DVD as I build the current board I am working on - with detailed component listings and suppliers/list of various materials needed /building instructions and tips/ design calculations and PDF files for board and surfer templates - which I will present, when it is complete 'in full' on a new RCU Cutom build a Bro ******** forum - I will drive the video media through a YOUTUBE video 'series part' type collection.....which is downloadable if you have the free software on your pc.

When the NQD type boards arrive - which should be soon - I will film the upgrade process - list the needed components and suppliers - and create a purpose RCU Forum for that as well......just to compile it all together for easier reference.......

This I reckon is still the best way to REALLY ADD VALUE to the growth of rcSurfing Globally -Teach a man to catch a fish and he will never be hungry !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 PM
powerpark

kitekook    Great Radio Posting. It dont get better than that. Maybe a Futaba thrown in. LOL , I use the GT3B. Its is a great radio. 10 model memory,
40 bucks. Im impressed everytime I use it. 
YPC thanks for info. I was wondering what the apm draw was. I just took a chance with the 60 amp esc. I guess I got it right. Watercooled helps alot. Do you think it matters if the cooling goes 1st to the esc and then the motor or the other way. Or does it matter? Mine works good .It may help other surfers looking at this page.
Surfcurls - Great video Thanks for posting it! 

Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 PM
YPC

Hi Powerpark.....

Always cool the ESC first...you want the coldest water hitting the ESC as it needs the cooling 'more so' as well as some having heat safety cut offs.. . ..then to the motor. when you route the motor water cooling pipes - ensure that the supply is at the low point of the motor and that the outlet is at the high point,so as to prevent a few issues.

If the water flows in from the top end of the motor and flows out 'faster' at the bottom end.....the water cooling jacket will not 'fill up' and the overall cooling will be insufficient.

If your motor outlet is at the low point - every time the board leaves the water - it will be probable that water will dispel (run out) without been restored in that moment - it may not sound like much of an issue, but can allow more heat to be generated throughout a run....which will effect performance and run time.

If the water outlet is at the top end.....waster will be retained in the system throughout the run and ensure the better cooling.

Bro ********. ....
Share the STOKE !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74489.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1812045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52266.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1812046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92442.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1812047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99479.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1812048  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.