Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Hughengland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Surfcurls;
Hugh uses acrylic and then clear coat.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Thanks Hugh,

Your board looks Da Kine with color, and shreds as swell.
How and when are you applying Acrylic.
Like after sand coat, or on the foam itself ?
I'm thinking of diluting Acrylic paste and running thru an air brush.

When you say clear coat, are you doing a finish resin or just spray paint a top coat.

The Poly Foam & glass boards are a bigger animal to tame than the Production Plastic Hulls fo sure.

Thanks for the emails on the Carbon advise.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Hughengland

For folks who use UV sun cur polyester resin - you can still add pigments to the resin BUT you must then use MEK Peroxide catalyst to cause resin to cure correctly - as color pigments will reduce correct curing if only using UV sunlight.

Acrylic can be applied as spray or with paint brush or any number of ways - acrylics seem to give best colors. Yes you can dilute the acrylic paste.
I apply acrylic colors after sanding the sanding or filler coat.
I then apply clear coat urethane spray over the acrylic colors - as I only use epoxy in my laminations - I do not use polyester clear coat finish resin (it does not work that well with epoxy resins).
If you use polyester resin you can use polyester clear coat finish resin and do the final polishing with the correct types of polishing compounds - I think that MJ uses this method.

Picture below of my first rc surfer build using carbon, epoxy with epoxy clear coat (brushed on)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:57 AM
bearcave

Hi guys nice too see the forum shareing the good stuff again.

YPC... reckon you are getting close to the Maui/Cali surfers in many ways. Having a bulletproof construction is one thing but now you are surfboarding not speedboating...... nice last vid brosurfer.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:44 AM
YPC

Howzit Bearcave........thanks for the heads up on the past video !.....I'm becoming consistent in pulling the Rodeo moves....I had an awesome weekend of rcSurfing.....3 flat-out sessions......cant get enough of it.

As you say, this board and surfer has been solid since day one....cant fault it...just need to continue developing my rcSurfing skills - more and more....8 months in - lots to come.

I'm a little amused by the 'speed boating' - 'surfboarding' comparison ?.........do you reckon my previous vids are more like Bro 'speed boating' rather than Surfing ?.....LOL - I'll have to look at them again 'carefully'...why didn't you tell me earlier..........and their I thought I was coming along so well.....LOL

Lets not forget that Tow in Surfers when riding 'big waves' surf as fast as 80km'h plus ( 50 mph) straight down the line of the face - so relative to the scale of the waves - 'fast' is sometimes part of rcSurfing, especially in the bigger surf.....

When I set out with building the ******** in February - I really got caught up in the development and building - but now that I am happy with this board - I am especially happy to find that 'mastering' how to Surf' an ******** is certainly as much of a satisfying challenge as learning to build one.....its a very satisfying moment when one pulls a maneuver, and it all comes together... certainly keeps me going back for more.....even been a seasoned surfer of 40 years myself -surfing a ******** - reading a wave from the shore - sometimes from a fare distance and directing the board to time it perfectly - is a whole new concept, as apposed to actually being on the wave....a couple of pretty hot local surfers have tried surfing Bro - only to be transformed back into "GROMS"......LOL

Personally- contrary to much of the constant 'big wave talk' - I am finding that the ideal wave size for Bro and the spots I regularly surf is the 2-4 ft face wave - besides not having to fight with surfers for waves any size bigger than that - it allows for more length of wave face to ride and a decent doable lip for aerial maneuvers, etc. - bigger than that and it becomes more of a mere full speed charge down the face - simply hoping to make the section before it closes out...

It would be great if there was more discussion and tutorial video input on actually 'how to' set up the board and execute various maneuvers - in the many pages on this forum there is basically nothing written on 'actually surfing' the ********....

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 AM
bearcave

YPC... and all surfers.

My sense of humour and cryptic commentsoften offend many.... I guess i just expect everyone to read between the lines.... Here and everywhere.

Being from Australia on this forum doesn't help either we are usualy very blunt and always takin the piss out of each other etc but let me say now.... anything i say to anyone on this forum is always a compliment....if I am gunna give anyone some stick i'll be doin it in a pm not public... unless you realy realy piss me off that is lol!

YPC you are a racing speedboat dude at the high level.... I started makin comments on this forum because of this... I think many have taken notes on how you do your hulls and dudes and your mathematical electronic esc prop power to weight stuff etc is something else bugger me it would take days to go through the relevent forums to work out all that stuff............so for better or worse you have made a huge impact on the rc surfing community.

Horses for courses is whats real.... Kelly Slater learn't to surf in the warm waters but little waveseast coast USA.... as a many time world champion wherever he surfs now hehas a quiver to suit each break... Sure he could ride an Esky lid Pipe or Cocoa beach but given the right board to suit the conditions well hey now we're talkin!

So... just cause I thought your latest vid made bro look good surfin doesn't mean the others werent worthy ok........... LOL!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:22 AM
bearcave

Oh yeh and one more thing before i go back to my cave (remember no offence.. anyone)

I doubt there will ever be a page on how to do certain things..... surfing is an individual trip there are no rules its an expression of oneself...
Unless you are a Pro Surfer and need to follow the rules to score a winning ride... beauty is in the eye of the beholder no matter how lame or extreme... as life and surfing should be.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:26 AM
YPC

Howzit Bearcave......I was not offended by your comparison..............just rather amused !
All's Good - I assure you - one thing - no matter which board I chose to use of Kellys - I wont be winning any comps soon........LOL
Like you say - we have to learn to surf them first......and have lots of fun while trying.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 AM
YPC

Before you go back into your cave - I disagree with you on the value of a 'How to surf'....page......I'd almost like to say "enough said on how to build it" - lets talk about - "how to surf it"

Their is much to be shared as to how to best set up a board for a given wave condition/size/wind ( one set up does not suite all) -OR- how to approach a section of the wave to pull a particular maneuver........ they are not rules......simply proven pointers to help ones advancement.....

Enjoying the STOKE is undoubtedly a personal within experience - enjoyed from day one.......but I am sure, you have to agree that a few good pointers from those who have the experience, will only add to ones ability and bolster the FEELING.

In my brief spell of rc surfing so far - I have already learnt much about setting up the boards prop size /weight / cg / rudder choice / turning degree/ acceleration - etc for certain types and size of waves and wind conditions -as well as - having a few basic approach steps in my mind when riding a wave, looking to execute a particular maneuver - Information goes a long way in 'making it happen....

OK ......now you can roll the stone over.....LOL

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 AM
bearcave

roll roll roll.... hmm ok well you could be right... stabbin the power at the right time with a bit of rudder at the sweet spot yes that works for a spinning air, a little rudder on the lip and power on coming down off the lip works for me getting the board back down the face with a bit of a slash up top, not too much rudder but... and....yawn yawn i have to hibernate now.... roll roll roll... zzzz zzzz zzzz lol zzzz...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:15 AM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

Fast or slow I enjoy it all. Its a blast to do and watch! Stoke up!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

waves hit maui

report has it hugh was seen riding 10 footers ,, i got some 5 footers,, freind took some pics,,
maui john
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57152.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1817976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd95006.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1817977  
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM
kitekook

[X(] That's HOT!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Hughengland

Yo John - my waves this am in Paia Bay were only 6ft-8ft - kind like yours but not as clean or hollow.
Silver Surfer hit a big ramp and must have been 50ft in the air.
- after about 30 secs of surfing in I was dead in water only to find that engine mount broke off (BIG Leopard power)
- lost my 58x prop & 3/16" shaft coz the flexi cut where it rubbed against prop shaft housing - bummer.

Had white bikini Tita as backup but she has difficulty with the huge white water sets, did get some good waves with her.
Bigger waves = bigger boards
Silver Surfer will be ready for Jaws soon.....................

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94490.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1817992  
Old 11-05-2012, 09:19 PM
billybongo63

Aloha all you insane rc surfers!
'Sup Hawaiians! Killer Maui pics
OZers, SAer, NZers and Mainland Haoles, thanks for more education and entertainment relating to this wonderous sport.

First post, I am Billybongo, born in Perth WA, grew up on Oahu, and currently on the coast of Oregon. Like many of you, I have been in the ocean since small kid time, going to Sandy's and Makapu'u when I could barely walk.

Now i find myself nearly obsessed with the desire to take and combine my love for the ocean and my passion for all things remote controlled.

I recently purchased and gutted a Kyosho Lisa, and stumbled onto this neverending thread. Weeks of reading and re-reading will hopefully keep me from asking the usual newbie questions. But here I go anyway;

Sensored or Sensorless on the brushless systems?

How much steering are you custom builders getting?
I get about 90* with the stock kyosho set up and can't see anyway to improve upon it, also it seems the bi-rudder somehow accentuates the steering more than a single fin.

Sorry for the lenghty post, and mahalo for all the help and knowledge shared.

-Billybongo63

Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Hugh
Thanks for the Paint Tips, I now have a few ways to tackle it.
When you say 6 -8 foot, thats Hawaiian Measure from the backs ya ?
That would = 12 - 15 foot faces, Awesome !
Jaws is a must, Can you imagine the hits on you tube !
Jeff Clark talked to me about building a board to drop into Mavericks
a few years back, I'm thinking of making a board that would be about 42"
To just take on the drop there. That could be a record for the smallest board
that dropped into pumping Mavericks. Maybe KitePro would help me with the Mav Project ? I'll fund it for the fun.
C'mon Tom, Lets go for it, The window for Mavs to break is coming soon !

MJ
That wave was HUGE !
You, Hugh & Maui Crew HAVE to make a board for Jaws
I mentioned that about 100 pages ago ...

YPC
Great to see the cool maneuvers & tips to make them work.
I recall a few years ago, when I first fitted a brushless board
and was so stoked on getting out in the line up in a matter of seconds
with some size and consistency. I enjoyed getting jumps over big white water
and even having to get covered by some only to have the board self right and continue out.
It's all about timing the waves and looking for the sweet spots just like real surfing like you said.

Bear
No time to hibernate, time to have some fun
And Yes you are spot on. How can anyone describe the stoke from within ?

Billy B
Welcome to The Crew
Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 PM
surfcurls
Banned

I'm going to makes some calls for Mav Project.
The Window is open now, and will last 5 months.
Here is a link: http://mavericksinvitational.com/contest/

Maui Crew = Jaws

I envision YPC building a rocket for J Bay
And OZ Crew For Bells ...

How about Portugal, Teahupo, any takers ?

This could get really interesting !!!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:52 AM
YPC

ATTENTION GUYS........Our long standing Friend and Massive contributor to this forum - "JIMI FINDRIX" has been 'very ill' over the past months. He will be undergoing a very serious and delicate operation at the end of the month. Please chaps !....lets keep JIMI and his family in our minds - hearts and prayers.......those of you who have his contact e-mail please drop him a line.......I know he will enjoy a few words from you all.......

MJ - WOW - that is some serious size - I have no doubt you were at WOT to make those sections. Credence on the board handling that size and Power......any film of the session.

Curls....Thanks for the rating on the video - its seems to be been enjoyed by many - it has had 80 plus views in under two days - which for my vids is a 'new record'.
It would be cool to build a 'Bigger Board' for those 'Big Breaks'.........something like a 1200mm (4ft) weighing around 10kg's - low kv big volts......
The only thing with such a board will be finding a open break to surf.....when our local big wave breaks are firing their is no way I would be able to get into the line up....

WELCOME biillybongo... you're gonna love it !

to answer some of your questions.

uncensored motor

For any rudder system - more than 45 degree steering either side will simply STALL the turn ( lose its directional effect) so if you have a collective 90 degrees thats fine.

Personally -Most of the time I prefer the Bi-Fin - it holds the tail down - created a more realistic yaw (lean) in the turn and seems to hold the board onto the steeper face better. The single fin allows for more speed and a loser tail for 360's etc - its best to have both and switch them out on the day.

A video I made on flat water trying to demonstrate the difference.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuUZnFtLU-w[/youtube]

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 11-06-2012, 06:02 AM
YPC

HEY JIMI...........this is to say we have you and your family in our' Hearts and Prayers' through this difficult time.............we wish you a speedy recovery and hope that when you are all better, that you return to RCU to share more of your awesome rcSurfing from that little piece of paradise you have in your backyard.........as well as rev us up every so often...............LOL

From the Young Ones in South Africa

This vid is for you !......before you know it, you will be back out their ripping Stockfence apart..........chewing away those Amps.

Take Care my Friend !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixHBP_TSrts&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

billybongo63

man your a perfect fit for RC surfen , born in western oz,grew up at sandys ,, and you love RC,, i will bet you oregon has some sick spots for rc surfen,,

jimiour hearts go out to you , we wish you a speedy recovery ,,dam we miss your killer pics two

maui john
Old 11-06-2012, 12:25 PM
redeyejedi

this thread grows so fast, is there a way we can have rc surfing a sub-forum?
with a general discussion, build pages, riding tips and vids, classifieds and GTG section?
would make for a much more organized section and easier to navigate.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:47 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

here some very choppy waves ,,but it sure was fun

maui john

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFjlqnHs2s&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Jimi:

Get Well Soon Mate !

MJ: HUGE Monday, That's a record.

Mav Project:
I contacted Jeff Clark Last Night and got this reply:

Hey John,
I would be stoked to help put some pieces together, let me know.
[email protected]
Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Hughengland

MJ - wish I could have joined you last monday - your waves were faster than mine, but similar in size.
I really want to try that new spot of yours - next time for sure - work permitting!
Lucky that I even got a few hours in because my film work started 2 hours later that day.

Jimi: we are all going to ride a wave or three for you over the next weeks, hang in there!

Everyone elso - ALOHA from Maui

Old 11-07-2012, 12:57 AM
bearcave

maui john.... special thanks to you for postingyour junk..... (junk my ass that was awesome)

YPC.... Nice words forjimi... adding one of your best vids too nice I hope he still checks out RCU now and then.

Everybodyelse new and old.... this forumseems to be happeningnice now hey andas there arenow waves in Maui lookinforward to thebigboys doin there stuff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.