Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 AM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Howzit Bearcave !

I'm sure JIMI does 'visit' the forum...he enjoys all our posts !

He is 'very ill'............
Right now, he is desperately trying to stabilize his health in preparation for the much needed operation - come month end.
I am hoping our contributions - well wish's and prayers will offer him encouragement to get better prepaired.
I believe it will be as long as SIX MONTHS of recovery 'after the opp' so he has a long road ahead - As Hugh suggested - lets all make an effort to surf the waves with JIMI's health in mind...and continue to share our STOKE with him.....

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

bearcave

thanks,, i wish karl and hugh could have been there ,,karls new board would rip that stuff up,,

jimi we are all praying for you

maui john
Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 AM
billybongo63

Jimi,
I may be new here, but I have read your posts and feel close to you because of them. You have touched many of us with your stoke and your witt, and now I hope we can give back with our prayers and positive vibes.
Stay strong and know that you are loved, and ride the waves of awesome energy traveling around the globe and breaking on your shore.
-Billybongo
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Maverick Wave Project:

Progress report
Talked an Hour Tonight With Jeff Clark
He plans to shape and glass a few boards from his facilities in Oceanside California, with a tad of my input for shape, and I will fit The Elecs.
We just need 10 MPH to drop in.

Jeff Will scale up The shapes I am sending him, to attempt the left at Mavericks that could be a 50' (Fifty foot) Face. Jeff wants to
Only Throttle it out at Max Conditions. Gopro, Sierra Nevada, Monster, Red Bull all have interest in The Mav Project
that will surely be an epic event. The Board that achieves the Successful drop will be placed in Jeff Clarks Surf Shop As A Part Of Rc Surfing History.

For Those That Didn't have the time to devote to this huge project. No Worry...
Turns Out Jeff Wants to help out more than I anticipated, and has the time to do so...

"Live like Jay"
Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 PM
InDaTube

This is an exciting project...........

I'm here in San Clemente and if there is anything I can do to contribute, just let me know.

If there is going to be a support team for the epic go out....... I would love to be part of the team.

Thanks......

InDaTube

Old 11-07-2012, 11:34 PM
YPC

Sounds 'Very Cool' Curls that these guys are willing to invest into the project...........it will be a interesting project to follow.
You should contact that company that already has the 'jet powered' surfboards - for the size of board you will need - their system may work well.

I reckon the board will have to be a fare size and weight- at least 5 ft and weighing around 50 -60 kg's -mainly to avoid 'blow over' down that size of face - especially if their is a reasonable off- shore breeze. The surfer will also have to be very aerodynamic otherwise his body shape will create nose lift at speeds over 60 km/h.
The long steep drop in should generate speeds of about 70-80 km/h - so the overall weight and various dynamics will be critical to holding the tight bottom turn, especially through any of the bounce.....

You will need some serious High Voltage running gear - 750kv motor - 44V .....monster ESC..............
Keep us posted...........

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 AM
bearcave

ORIGINAL: billybongo63

First post, I am Billybongo, born in Perth WA, grew up on Oahu, and currently on the coast of Oregon. Like many of you, I have been in the ocean since small kid time, going to Sandy's and Makapu'u when I could barely walk.

Now i find myself nearly obsessed with the desire to take and combine my love for the ocean and my passion for all things remote controlled.

-Billybongo63

Hey Billybongo63... i'm thinkin you have all the necessary ingredients to be a total addict.... when JIMI started he knew nothing about rc stuff.... then there are many other rc dudes who have never surfed before butkeen to participate.... so bestbe prepared for a life of addiction.

Big waves now in Maui... maui john and crew are going to go off.

Maverick wave project...damn Surfcurls maybe the cathas got it's claw maybe even a whole arm out of that bag of secret surfing hey...just sayin butmight be good tolisten to doctor YPC and all others for a maybe one off go at this... all the best whatever happens.

And whatever happens I will be keenly watchin enjoying it all.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 AM
bearcave

Oh yeh and one more thing.... I doubt anyone needs more than 60 degrees combined rudder throw unless doing a slow speed U turn.... faster you go the less rudder needed more about throttle control but anyway just my opinion..... roll roll roll zzzz zzzz zzzz lol.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:57 AM
Jimi Findrix

G'day to all RC Surfer Addicts, Builders, Carvers, Cruisers, Shredders, Shralpers and Kooks,

Thanks for all your kind words and prayers, I know that they will certainly help me to continue smiling during this very difficult time in my life.
I do like to get on here when I can and catch up with what is happening.

It is great to see a few new members joining the crew.

Anyway guys, I am not really sure if Iam gonnamake this huge and nasty section just ahead but I am putting my front foot down and pulling in and I will continue chargin' on down the line as long as I can hang in there and although the hold down will surely be a long one I hope and pray that I will somehow make it back in to the safety of the beach and eventually recover enough to one day paddle back out to the peak at RCU and join in all the fun and scandalthat is without doubt RC Surf at its very best.

Thanks to all who have helped me to experience this amazing hobby and good luck too all who have a go at RC SURFING.

It aint easy butit is a blast!

JIMI

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38293.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1818554   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44341.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1818555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12546.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1818556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55643.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1818557   Click image for larger version

Name:	It99306.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1818558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx31616.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1818559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo13735.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1818560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ut66435.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1818561  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ih74086.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1818562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc29288.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1818563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd26787.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1818564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw90032.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1818565  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:33 AM
YPC

Hey JIMI!.....Its so good to see your post..........

I have no doubt you will make it through this 'Section' and come out on the other side, an even 'Greater Legend !'

Looking at all those awesome photo's, one really has to 'commend' you and Bob for taking the Kyhoso and QD surfers to a 'whole new level' 'inspiring so many' to follow suite.

Please ! keep us posted on your progress and we will continue to keep you inspired to get back to the beach as soon as you are well again.........

Take 'good care of yourself......

Bro ********. ....
Share the STOKE !

Old 11-08-2012, 06:35 AM
InDaTube

Hi to all,

Thanks for answering the question about rudder travel needed.

I noticed that due to linkage geometry etc, there was a huge difference in the rudder travel R to L. After tinkering around the answer was programming the radio's "End Point Travel Adjustment" to equalize R to L rudder servo movement. This also allows you to make sure you are not over driving or binding the servos which can drain the battery.
For the steering linkage I used swivel ball rod ends to attach the control rod to the servo.The result is smooth and predictable steering response that is equal R to L. Also, starting any servo adjustments should begin with centering the servo horn arm.

InDaTube

Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

jimi

great to see your pics ,,we missed you,, its great to haveyou back

curls

have youbeen drinken again ,,, 10 miles a hour ,, youare never going to make it of the beach,, that wave moves 40 milas a hour,, that thing better have a,, 454 HEMI

maui john
Old 11-08-2012, 10:38 AM
K-H2o

Jimi- Best wishes !! Will be keeping you in Prayer.God Bless Bra !! Aloha, Karl
Old 11-08-2012, 01:22 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

surfcurls

i am sorry for that comment,, at least you are willing to try ,,
Old 11-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Hans N

Jimi, all the best wishes for you.
You have been an inspiration for me and I enjoyed your stories/reports.
Time again for me to pick up the project again, Kyosho Lisa and all the stuff in the house. So no more excuses for me. time to get Lisa ready seaworthy.

Hans (other side of the globe - Netherlands - Europe)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Hughengland

Curls,

Here is my initial input on surfing Mavericks.
Why go left, as it ends in the rocks?
All surfers I have seen go right at that spot.
Board shape: I will leave that up to someone else......as most of my custom boards have been less than perfect.
Speed: My guess is that +30ft wave you will need at least 40mph to get board down the face.
Weight of board: probably about 30-40 lbs on a narrow 48" gun shaped board
Offshore wind - forget about even trying - as the board will just be blown off the face.
I notice on big waves the wind created by the wave moving forwards and compressing the air moving up the wave face will be in the 15-20 knots range.
Surfer shape: as Dom says, very aerodynamic will be a must. I vote Dom makes you a skinny neoprene surfer dude....? Cold water there you know!

K-H2o: already had a red gun shaped rc custom board that he is hiding that would be perfect......or maybe he's saving it for Jaws this winter.........

All very exciting to say the least

Aloha
Hugh

Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 AM
surfcurls
Banned

First Order:

Jimi
Hope you got my Email, If I was a real Doctor of Medicine
I would prescribe this to you: KEEP SURFING, as it has spell binding Healing Powers Unknown to Those That Never Surfed.

Now For Some Less Serious Issues:

Mavericks Project Update: Answers to Questions Thus Far:
OK, I admit, I Dream/Think Big, and Am Usually "In Over My Head" Doing So.
I Have The Attitude " Climb Mount Everest ? No Biggie" But I Know It's not An Easy way to Fly.
"Easy" Is Not A Challenge, And I Like BIG Challenges. Heck, Most Folk Pay To Ride A Roller Coaster
For The Trill, I Decided I Could Have Those Same Trills Without Buying A Ticket, Been Living that way for 25 years ...

I'm Not Looking To Claim That I Solely Took On Mavericks With An Rc Surfer, This Project Is Bigger Than That Gnarly
Wave Itself. However, I Wish To Claim That I was The Instigator To Push The Global Top Pro Builders And Myself To Set An Extreme Goal In Rc Surfing
And Work Together On This Project With Those That Wish To Take The Time To Sea It Thru.
All Involved Will Be Part Of History, Even If The Board Fails, Like MJ Says, "It's The Attempt That Counts"

Indatube
You're In, Along With Anyone Else It This Room !

YPC
I Want You To Be Part Of This Project. It Will take Some Major Calculations To State The Least.
Your "Bro Figure" Could Help Out, But You Would Have To Scale it Up, And It Won't Be A Tall Task For You.
I've Seen The Wave Jet. I don't Think We Need That, As We Have The Elecs That Suit Our Boards Better.

Bear
Yes, My Goal Is To Have Everyone Involved, It's Going To Take A Lot Of Thought To Pull Off.

MJ And Hugh
OK, You Guys Know That Jeff Clark Is "Mavericks"
I Call Him The Mavericks Man To His Face, He Just Chuckles About It All.
He Surfed That Beast Spot For 15 Years By Himself, And Knows That Place Swell.

Last Night, Jeff & I Talked About The Project, And He Gave Me His Take.
I was Stoked To Be Actually Talking To Him About The Possibility
An His Attitude Was Full On " Ya We Can Do This, I Will Help Anyway I can"
Then Offered Me CNC & Glassing, And To Top It Off A Personal Invitation
To Be A Guest At His Home With His Family. He Mentioned The Guest Room Has Windows Overlooking The Mavericks Break.

Then We Got Down To More Detail On Mav Proj:
We Talked about His Big Wave Mavericks Invitational Surf Contest.
We Both Agreed, That The Contest Has To Be Completed Before We Attempt The Rc Surfer Run
As The spot Is A Media / Spectator Circus, During That Time.

Then He Shared Some Secrets About Mavericks:
Depending On Swell Direction, The Right Is A Longer Wave, The Left Is A Better Take For What Is Planned Rc Surfer Wise.
Now Here Is The Deal: We won't be Throttling out, As it's 1/4 to 1/2 Mile out. No Rc Surfer Could Battle White wash from a 50 Foot Face.

Also, Remember This Is A "Paddle In" Wave, Not A "Tow In" So Jeff mentioned 10 MPH Will Do The Drop, After I Asked About Required Speed To Drop In.
Jeff Plans To Use His Zodiac, Get out in the Channel, And Launch The Rc Board.
That Is Going to Be Up To Someone Else To Pilot The Board, It Sounded Scary Talking To Jeff About His Theory.

Imagine This:
The Mav Team Is Looking To Ride A 50 Foot Face. The Zodiac Will Be In The Water Close To The Impact Zone
Channels or Not, It's Scary, Even With Mav Man at The Helm. Peaks Shift, Freak Sets Happen.
Any Takers On Who Wants To Pilot The Board ? I Thought A Helicopter For The Pilot Would Be A Safer Go ?

Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 AM
bearcave

Nice post and pics jimmi....

btw until you hear the fat lady singin (even though there are plenty of porkers singin these days) ora giant seal munchin....... never ever give up on what the latest medical technology can do.

PS... with all the latest technology and stuff with surfers boards and camera's right now there could be some rather impressive wavevision soon.... best you stay tunedfor that... maybe evenlearn some more for an even harder charge at it when you get back in the waves hey....
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 AM
YPC

Hey Curls..........all things start with 'a Dream !'..........its your Dream......run with it - dont let anyone stop you.....It will most definitely be 'a First' and a 'World Record' into perpetuity !

Some TECH TALK !.....some I'm sure may already know this....

I have had a great run with my current board - over 40 sessions ,without a single glitch - until my recent session - when all of a sudden, I intermittently lost power to the motor - the servo still operated..........
After some tedious investigation......I found that the standard male connectors on the Leopard motor had lost their "diameter' ( the split plugs had become lose) and hence were not making good contact when fitting into the female connector.....this obviously caused some arching and due to the heat, disrupted one of the soldering joints on the female plug end..........

So ! every now and again......disconnect your motor/esc 3 phase connectors - clean them up and expand the male connector ( guys now how to do this.....LOL) then push it back in. ensuring snug all round good contact.........hope this info prevents it happening to you....

Have a great weekend Guys......To the US guys - the election is over......all the best for the next 4 Years !.............

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 11-09-2012, 07:04 AM
YPC

Curls - I want to build myself a 'Big Wave Board' for our local 'big breaks' and the tow in spots like Dungeons - Sunset -etc............I would be looking at a 4 ft board - making a mold for a 'Big Bro' to suite..........let me know what size of board you guys are looking at and perhaps we can find a compromise size for Bro if their is not to much of a variable.

Bro's construction will definitely stand the better chance of surviving a good 'Thump' from that size of wave......

I still feel that you would want the board to have some 'big speed' - you will certainly want to power yourself into a better line/position on the actual face AND you may even need the power/drive to stop been drawn or blown back up the face..........especially if the board works out to be to light.
I'm thinking of using a 1000kv motor with a 6s 22V pack.............

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 AM
K-H2o

Curls- What are you planning to do about radio reception ? Is theoporator goingto be in the boat or onland ? Both will present a problem in large waves. If you are in the boat it will disapear inthe troughs And from land you are not going to have reception. The only thing you can do is tobe along sideat close enoughdistance to have constant visual of the board.
It will beall about the water texture any lump or chop and you are over. Really glassy= Piece of Cake. AtJaws itcanlook smooth from the top of the cliff but there are really 2 foot high chops and lumpson the face.
Tested the new 2.4GHz 6ch Radio and it was sweet !!Went to the bay with MJ and Jock (Hope you back is better) And had no binding or reception issues. YA !!!

Aloha, Karl
Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 PM
surfcurls
Banned

YPC
Sounds Fantastic, I'm Going To Need All The Expert Help I Can To Make The "Dream" A Reality.
At Least It Will Get Some Mental Juices Flowing On A Grand Wave Scale.

Karl
Thanks For The Input, Jeff's Theory Is To Launch It From The Zodiac, The Break is 1/2 Mile Out
So The Shore Is A No Go. For More Visual Aid, My First Thought Was A Type Of "Whip Flag" On The Board
Similar To Dune Buggies, That Allow You To Sea A Buggy Before It Comes Over The Sand Berm (it could be 6 - 8 Feet Tall With A Flag ?)
And Also Some type of Color particle trail like Rc Airplanes use off their wing tips.
This is a great point you brought up, and must be dialed in.

The Mavericks Contest Opening Ceremony Started Today
Here's A Pic Of The 24 Invited Big Wave Riders ...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71822.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1818985  
Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

i have been working on karls interview ,,this guy is a genuis
maui john

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXmy57-aSL4[/youtube]
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Hughengland

Karl - like I said back in my post dated 9th Nov - really digging BIG RED
throw a dude on there and lets go Big Red.
My Silver Surfer has same big Leopard motor and I just got in my new 5 cell and some 6 cell lipos to throw it down the face as fast as is needed.
My filming job finishes on Sunday - so call me!

Hugh
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 PM
bearcave

ORIGINAL: surfcurls

Imagine This:
The Mav Team Is Looking To Ride A 50 Foot Face. The Zodiac Will Be In The Water Close To The Impact Zone
Channels or Not, It's Scary, Even With Mav Man at The Helm. Peaks Shift, Freak Sets Happen.
Any Takers On Who Wants To Pilot The Board ? I Thought A Helicopter For The Pilot Would Be A Safer Go ?

Surfcurls.... Formula 1 is the pinnacle of any motorsport alwayspushin the boundaries trying new stuff and thinkin outside the boxfor the ultimate performance.

Afterwatching Karl's interview i'm thinkin you have a choice of two pilots.... although Karl may want to have a go on a real board as well but..... lol.

Hey maui john and crew.... awesome stuff.... Formula1RCsurfingis here and now hey..... watch out for the YPC team pushin hard from SA but.

Yep no time for hibernation at the moment.... bearcave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.