Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Hughengland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Aloha Kite,

I love the new shape, one of best outlines I've seen & like the fact that you have kept wide point further back.
It has Hawaiian Flavor for sure!
Will be interesting to see size of surfer you have ride it.

I am also switching to 5 & 6 cell - got to have it for the BIG ONES

Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM
YPC

Hey rc resinator................fun video !

As with most go pro vids.......its a great perspective - the point I was making, was that I would NOT be able to surf my ******** as Curls suggested, by simply looking at a screen which would be giving me the same feedback view as the go pro does. I would not know my ass from my elbow...........LOL

Kite........thanks for the info.........I thought a bigger prop for that set up would work better........I have plenty of Stainless Steel Prather 235's if anyone is in need. Great Prop.
2300kv x 5s is a high RPM - over 41 000 rpm - would it not be better to drop the kv down to 1800 kv.

Muai......I used to get upset when folk paid me a compliment until recently my mom said they simply meant well.....so I'm getting used to it......thanks !....LOL

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM
InDaTube

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I could find CF Props that would be the equivocate to the1/8" shaft  432 / 435 and the Grim Racer 36x55?

Here I go........ Tinkering again... lol

InDaTube
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Inda

Gonna be hard to find carbon props that size, but here are some glass filled that might work
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...led+Propellers

YPC
Nice new board ! As for the on board video concept, learning how to surf it is the fun.
I would love to see the actual line up, drop and down the line shots in real time.
It's not going to be an every session thing, but more of an experience once in a while.
Imagine having a 32" monitor, and you can always look off the screen.
Pete Hodgson's first couple of video's on Rc Surfing gives the effect.

As For The No Elec Board option, It's plug and play. Everything is included
except the motor, servo, TX / RX or Battery.

Randy
Great Vid, Like MJ said, tons of Tube time !

Kite
Nice New Board !
Just Saw RCSA hit 100, pretty cool. I want a shirt !
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
RC Resinator

Hey guys,
     Thanks for the great comments on the video; lots of fun and more to come...
     The GoPro mount is a standard GoPro surfboard mount with leash system.  One mount behind and one in front of the surfer.  It's a large board, so the camera doesn't affect it much.  I'll leave the mounts in place for now...Keep an eye out for more coming soon!

Aloha Nui Loa,
RC Resinator
Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 PM
kitekook

Got my new prop in the mail today...

Grim Racer 36 x 55 ....all Sharpened and Balanced...

Here is a photo of the Octurs x432 I was using and the new prop.

Boy is it big!

Got 2 new Lipos yesterday...ran them through a cycle on my charger...it was cool, never used the cycle functionality of my charger before...

Build is coming along nicely...hopfull early next week we can hit the Surf!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM
InDaTube

I have been running a balanced/sharpened/polished Grim Racer 36x55 for the last month......... it's killer.

What batteries did you get and where from?

InDaTube
Old 01-12-2013, 04:10 AM
YPC

Hey Kite.......good looking prop....that size looks great for your set up. It also looks more like a submersible prop rather than a surface drive prop which will reduce tail lift.
Are you running a M4 threaded end shaft ? I have been looking for 30mm submersible CF props, without much success. .....any help would be great.

My board is coming along..........If it was a regular surfboard I would be planning my first surf session...........BUT - being an rc board.......the work has only just started.
Got the first 'hot coat' on .......now to cut out the housing and fit all the running gear.....then the fiinal 'hot coat'..........and some wonder why they cost more than a Surf Board...LOL

With the 80mm thick foam I am able to create a healthy nose rocker.....which works well in the tighter sections.

Great weekend ALL !!!

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49478.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1839424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51835.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1839425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90094.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1839426  
Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 AM
bearcave

RC Resinator...nice gopro vid espec in the tube and landing the airs.......looking forward to you're next visions.

The GoPro camera is really getting out there now hey just saw quite a few visions on the youtube... noticed Kite's Slash is in a few too but what i find reallycool is the great editing and musicyou and the other users of the camera's are doing.

Anyway (and no offence to you or anyone) imo apart from the wave vision, Killowatt Karlsharks boardshark guy still gets themaximum gopro stars for dude vision!

2013 certainly shaping up to be a big year of knowledge sharing and advancement.

Regards bearcave watching all with much interest.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 PM
YPC

Howzit Bearcave..........

My head battles with the on-board Go Pro perspective....like 3D in the movie house.......I still have an old analog cranium drive.......LOL... If anything though, I prefer the 'forward camera view' to the looking aft view. Looking aft makes me feel like I'm facing backwards when riding pillion on a motor bike ( squirmy)

I also think - looking at both the Randy's static ******** dude as well as Karls board shark moving dude - Both the Dudes are a distraction from the actual wave surfing action experience.

I much preferred the view of Surf Curls's pro surf photographer friend, Pete Hodgson, who positioned the Go Pro facing forward in-front of the Dude, so that one saw only the wave and ride action. Kind of like one would see it if you were actually 'on the board'.............very realistic. It would be very cool if the one could control the Go Pro to rotate left and right to be able to get a better view of the wave face when the board is pointing away from the face..........that would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=26wIJRdIHs4#!

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 AM
surfcurls
Banned

YPC

Thats the idea with the swivel gopro . I would love to sea the view
down the line, drop in and tube ride footage from the board prespective.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 AM
surfcurls
Banned

Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 AM
YPC

Hey Curls.........I'm sure it will be real COOL !.......and no doubt ,available SOOON !

I must say though, just watching these little guys surf 'from the beach' is still awesome............over and over...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cM7ZVU9xak[/youtube]

2013 is going to DELIVER !!!!

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 PM
bearcave

Hey YPC I hear what you are sayin..... btw you're pants off/on between meetings vid is still one of my favourites!

I don't know if the mega special wave action is what makes a great vid but imo maybe it's more about how its edited and what its sayin
There is a Wombarravid done way back with nicewaves and Barbi girls and all sorts of stuff happening that is still one of themost enjoyable onesi've seen

Btw rekon a movable GoPro will need another chanel for the swivel and faaark (says the raven) it's gettinpretty busyin the radio operation bay these days now hey... LOL

I like all the vision butprob like itbest from the shoreline...... just my opinion.....bearcave
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 AM
YPC

Hey Bearcave........I seem to have different favorites, on different days....I really enjoy watching moat 'all' rcSurfing vids...........I remember sseing the Barbie in the Jacuzzi with Bro vid........LOL

You could connect the the GoPro pivot arm by way of a rigid rod, to the rudder steering arm, having the Go Pro turn to wards the wave face as the board turns away from it. Kind've like we would be looking when ridding a wave. Very slight rotation would be required.............20%of the rudders rotation.

From the Beach does it for me as well...........infact - sometimes when Lisa-Marie films Bro to close within the frame........one loses the 'perspective of the wave.......so we try and keep a good overview of the wave in the frame to keep the ride in context...............

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 01-14-2013, 10:16 AM
kitekook

...sometimes when Lisa-Marie films Bro...

Without a doubt the best footage comes from having a dedicated cameraman(woman)

Unfortunately we are not all blessed with partners nor posse of RC Surfers, so we are

stuck trying to come up with a way to record our sessions without diminishing the

experience at the same time...

The GoPro connected to the rudder sounds promising...allowing the aiming without my

input sounds like the ticket. Not sure I can visualize it though...but it sounds great!

Looks like its warming up out side so I have to go...Darn it been COLD! in San Diego this winter...probably would have had snow on the ground if it weren't for Global Warming.

On that note: check out these photos and tell me the rest of the World is responsible...

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/china-s...lem-slideshow/

Until China comes along with the rest of the world...we are just throwing money at it and destroying our own economies at the same time.

away...
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM
YPC

Hey Kite...........to true......I am very fortunate to have Lisa- Marie who enjoys the filming......I reckon I enjoy re watching the videos as much as I enjoy each actual session.
Often, when we have a social at home, I set the videos up on my big screen - let them play one after the other - the music is good and my mates just love watching Bro rip........LOL
Almost 2 hrs of background STOKE !........

That said.......I 'do to' enjoy all your and every one else s footage and photos you share.......it all great !........I reckon I have watched just about every ******** video on YouTube.

With regards to the Go Pro Pivot mount........watching some of the video's - the thing is as the board steers away from the wave face, even ever so slightly, you lose the 'down the line view.
If you set the Go Pro up to steer (slightly) 'opposite' to the boards turning direction, you should have a far better 'surfers' view of the overall ride.

To set that up you could simply run a rigid rod from the external steering arm to the camera's pivot mount steering arm - OR - you could run a 'Y' lead from the RX steering port ( one for steering - one for the camera mount) then run a second servo, that can rotate the Go Pro camera, as you actuate the steering.

It will work really cool - as you cut back .you will get a better view of whats building down the line, rather than whats on the beach and when you head up to the lip, you will get a view of whats beneath you. rather than the blue sky............

The ideal would be filming in sincronized time - one camera on the beach and a purpose built Go Pro board - with a camera Forward and and a camera Aft - if you are an editing junkie - you could have a blast........that would capture some insane footage..............slap that together with a few sweet soundtracks of your choice and you can have some very entertaining music ******** DVD's of your very own that will be sure to keep the conversation going at a party !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
surfkiwi

Hi All,

Wow - what an epic forum. 240 pages of great info.
I was looking for a Radio Control boat for my son when I stumbled across the RC Surfers! They looked so good that I had to get one. I have ordered a Bondi Surfer Girl one from Australia and it's due to arrive at the end of the week.
From what i have read it sounds like it is basically made in China and is much the same as the NQD boards?
I have also had a look at the Radio Waves video from back in 2006 and they recommend some mods like improving the seals, big motor, speed controller etc. Does this all apply to the Bondi Surfer Girl. Could you give me some pointers of the first things to change to get me going.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Hughengland

Hugh's news from Maui:

Got myself a new GoPro Hero 3 Black surf Edition today - so now my rc surfers will be bringing you some heavy wipeouts & hopefully a few good waves.
here's a picture of my starter package - yes tax deductible too.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 AM
bearcave

Hi surfkiwi

The radio waves vid is a great starting point. Mainly focuses on the origi Kyosho foam type board but the info is good as is the wave riding.

Kyosho also made a 'Lisa" which was copied as the NQD or possibly the Venom Bondi girl. If it has steel hold down nuts within the hull to screw down the deck its NQD, the Kyosho has non-corrosive nuts. (lots of regular grease applied to the steel nuts does stop most corrosion but)

The origi Kyosh needs the tail rocker flattened to get it better but the NQD has a flatter tail (much better) but it leaks big time so you have to seal the joins of the hull much better. Both decks need stiffening and better seals. Water intrusion is the major trip... hull and electronics wise... and the center of gravity point being way back doesn't help when getting some speed.... the lisa doll is rather woefull too.
The electronics motors and batts have come a long way recently so there is some time to be spent sorting that out as well.

Remember this is just my opinion...i've only ever had these little boards and even though i've modified them extensively and enjoy themlots theydo havelimited potential.... espec being so small its hard to see em out the backas well.
This forum ismore about where its going. The next step for me will be to build my own bigger model like is seen and talked about most... eventually.. i did say eventually... rc persuits are so time consuming and btw you should have bought two, i doubt your son will get much play time once you start lol.

All the best enjoy the addiction..... bearcave
Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 AM
bearcave

YPC

Mechanical rudder linkage sounds simple and good.... not sure how GoPro do their swivel but rekon it would need to be anti floppin around when moving or could be some shaky vision hey.... just sayin.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 AM
YPC

Hey Bearcave.......it would be simple enough to make a sturdy GoPro mount.......its not going to rotate more than 15 degrees either weay.

Found some time to create the housing today........... in between running the kids around.......still on holiday.

A note for any newbies into custom building......when you glass the inner sides of the housing 'make sure' that the glass laps onto the bottom of the housing all the way around by at 10mm.
If not.......you may find after a while that the /hull.......may start pulling away from the foam around the housing base at the bottom, due to the weight of the running gear / battery and lead weight it is supporting......

I like fimishing with the white flow coat afterwards to neaten the housing up. It also blocks the view into the housing from the bottom.

Once all has dried, I sand the rough edges down flush with the boards deck surface and add the rim.

For those wondering 'why' the pod looks 'bigger'.........this is my new personal board........I am trying something different to hopefully create more rail to rail riding (lean). I am hoping that the bigger pod will generate more lift in the turns and allow the board to lean even more, onto the turning rail.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Om33816.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1840638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39600.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1840639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17818.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1840640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39799.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1840641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68290.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1840642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20769.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1840643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76718.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1840644  
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 AM
YPC

Cleaned up around the edge........One housing, ready set for running gear.

Kelly pulled in to check out how things are going.............LOL.......really likes the ride.........unfortunately about 4ft to short for him...

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Yv66260.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1840728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12795.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1840729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19056.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1840730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98440.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1840731  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 PM
RC Resinator

Hugh,
That GoPro set up is sick! The remote should prove to be the hot ticket, it will cut down on the amount of footage you have to go through. Make sure you get the leash system and maybe the surfboard mount. I used marine silicone around both mounts as insurance. The camera takes a beating, waves, sand, etc., I broke a mount already and almost lost my camera! Thank you leash system. Have fun with your new camera, I can't wait to see what you come up with!
SHAKA,
RC RESINATOR
Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 PM
RC Resinator

Does anyone have any funny or serious stories about losing or damaging their surfers? I had to swim halfway to Seal Rock after my straight shaft let go; flex-drive is the way to go with high-powered systems. I have never had a malfunction again. Jock didn't you have a serious situation?
ALOHA,
           RC RESINATOR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.