Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:22 AM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Great links Kite !........thanks for that !

For my interest.......what do you estimate the actual size of the waves in your pictures above ?

On a side note to wave size .........after watching the Mavericks movie twice......30 -40ft wave faces. rated as extreme .(mean avg. 6 X an average humans height)...I then calculated that for an average ******** of 1 ft.... to ride a 6 ft face wave by scale would be much the same as Mavericks.......a more realistic bench mark to be enjoyed, rather than the bantered 10ft face myth.................

SEALING YOUR BATTERIES !.......A MUST !

Never say never when it comes to water - prevention is better than cure - any bit of salt on the battery terminals and they will corrode in no time - Big expence !

Solution - Duct Tape - insulation tape - some Tic Tac ( USA -blue poster tac)

Pictures show the how to !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23401.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	1849149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50558.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1849150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30159.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1849151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga78002.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1849152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc38954.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1849153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86565.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1849154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln11422.jpg
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	1849155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wv72895.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	1849156  

Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 AM
surfcurls
Banned

Kite, I guess the 10 foot face will always be a mystery to some ...
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 AM
dreadrock

G'day Guys,
 Cheers for the kind words and advice, it's greatly appreciated.
With any luck i'll be able to get the board all shaped up in the next weak or so and then start glassing (need to head into the big smoke for supplies tho).
I'll keep you'se posted

Loving the pix and vids....Yeeew
Cheers

Old 02-07-2013, 01:25 AM
YPC

Curls...come on, move on !.......rather than continually add unnecessary insult to my every contribution........it would be great if you could rather share some of your new boards design pro's and video's - as well as share the extensive knowledge and know how you have of so many years, with those like surfkiwi who really need your valued input.

To Clarify !

.......none of the recent design features of my board has come from the 100 pages .....if anything -it is much the opposite to what most chose to recommend and build.

.....I don't rate myself as 'an expert' with regards to rcSurfing....not yet, I've only been at this for just on 'One Year' !... I'm simply sharing my take on my latest design of board and demonstrating the nett worth of it actually in action, which is far easier to demonstrate and film on flat water, than in the ocean..........it sure beats talking about it.
Just for the record.... http://www.youtube.com/user/formulaish .......I do have 25 plus surf videos to share.

.........I don't believe that their is a problem representing oneself, thoughts and products on this forum......after all, so many others, including yourself do it all the time. From what I understand RCU only requires that we represent ourselves correctly, which I believe I do. For the most of it, it is why folk enjoy the forum so much.......information id King !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

"Flattering to say the least !"

Old 02-07-2013, 02:04 PM
surfcurls
Banned

It's difficult to keep answering the same questions. My advice these days is to start from page 1
You never know what you might find. Here's a gem from 3 years ago. YPC only 25, seems more like 50 ?

ORIGINAL: Jimi Findrix

Hi guys, Just thought i'd give you all a laugh. Here is my latest Email message to John. Dear Mr Curls,
What type of battery do I get for my Tx?
BB suggested Lipo, will this be suitable?
and John, What type and what size shall I buy? and John, and John, and John.............................................. .......
Yeah, Alright Dude You are the Big Kahuna, Man. We gotta get the whole world turned onto this.

This is an addiction. Freak me out. So Sick Dude. I am gonna help spread the word until every surfer on the planet
and his mum and her mum have got a whole quiver of these little rockets.

This poor guy gets about half a dozen of these a day, from me alone. God only knows what his other customers do while they anxiously await for their childhood dream to come true.
No wonder he is trying to push my board through. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, And he loves it? Anyone else would tell me to stop, but this guy actually encourages the stoke. What a freakin' legend.
If you want an RC Surfboard, do not hesitate, Email:Surfcurls and live the dream.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 PM
surfcurls
Banned

With The recent Localism Issues, It's very important that The Rc Surfing Association
Continues it's progress to legitimize this Hobby Sport and help protect the rights of Rc Surfing Enthusiasts.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 AM
YPC

Curls I agree !

We are 4 guys guys now rc Surfing in Cape Town.......so we can look to get something formal going.

Most rc boat disciplines have a pond that is dedicated to that sport , where as we operate in public areas which makes it that much more challenging.

Even to-day when I was surfing.....the more I move down the beach to stay away from surfers and bathers.......the more they move down, following me.....when the board launches off a fare size face and gets hurled by the wind.......I have no control......Have to stay far away from folk !!!

Bro goes 'external' to improve the Bind

Back from a very windy onshore 3 battery session...........Man ! were those surfers envious of Bro being able to grab just about any good face that popped up......This board is shredding so nicely !.......cant believe I enjoyed a onshore session as much

AND - the external Arial was a major plus !!!!........I have always used 40mHz on my race boats......the first 2.4 gig was with my first board build.....seeing the boating guys tuck the 2.4 gig antenna in the radio box encouraged me to do the same with my board.....and for the most of it as can be seen in all my vids......it works.......BUT....on that odd occasion their would be that 'flat unresponsive spot'........I wrote that off to 'noise' (interference like cell phones etc)........just did not want an ecternal antenna.

Anyways, after sharing this subject with you guys and watching a few video regarding the marine 2.4 gig........I thought I owe it to myself to 'Just Try an External Antenna'.................even if I don't like the look of it.....LOL

RESULTS:......Faultless........I surfed in very busy on shore surf......took it out as far as I could comfortably see the board, rode three packs without once experiencing that 'flat spot'......before, I think I would almost preempt my reaction, to time it right..thinking that was how it was......now -I could feel the better response.

Do all the ESC's come with the attached Ferrite Bead on the power output lead that runs to the servo ?........that obviously has an effect on the radio's bind.

They are predicting the wind to swing off shore for tomorrow so hopefully I will have some great surf !

Would not mind a ride like this one... http://www.wavescape.co.za/video/the...he-closet.html 'local spot on the west coast'

Bro ********. ..
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Ec87671.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1849585  
Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 AM
kitekook

It's difficult to keep answering the same questions. My advice these days is to start from page 1

This illustrates the shortcoming of this forum...here we are 250+ pages into a 6 year old thread...We were promised a change a while back but it never materialized...not even a post that it wasn't happening.

Most people do not have the time to search through this thread looking for the information they need...TODAY.

Forums, set up with multiple catagories, are much easier to use. Information is more readily available. Search engines actually work.

Since my PM's have gone unanswered regarding this issue...it is clear RCU does not care to make space for us..I guess we are too small fry for the RC Community.

Fine, this is my last post.

See you in the Surf!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Kite

Metal Dog on RCU and Dave's Yahoo Forums Were The Beginning Of it all.

A lot has changed. There are Now Other Rc Surfing forums in France, Australia And The United States.

Moderator Matt (J.A.W.) Did his best to get us a new format on RCU, but The Owner of RCU Negated it.

With That Said, This place is more of a Chat room with a ton of history and valued info within the pages (250+)
It's a great place, But it is what it is.

The Sport Has developed, New Forums Have developed, RCU Is Still The Best Chat Room ...

Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 PM
dreadrock

Howdy,
Kite i can see your frustration with the system, it's extremely frustrating to say the least, a more dedicated/organized set up would be far better for all.
I'm guessing the biggest hurdle would be getting the existing thread organized as such....there is sooooo much information in here and just random at best...I'm guessing the next best method would be to archive it all and start again with a better set up/categories etc???
My personal method for searching is go to the gallery (picture ( top/left of the page)) and look for some pix that are relative to what i'm looking for and then open the forum at that point via the link (new Tab) and go from there
This forum is great, i follow a few and this tends to the most active of the lot by a fair whack. I guess that's just what it is, a forum/blog so to speak, full of characters passionate about rc surfing...sharing their collective experiences, hints an tips, do's an dont's, opinions and everything else in between related too and some not so.....
What makes it so great is all the people like yourself , willing to share advice/opinions/experiences to help those with a question or 3....like you said who's got time to read the whole thread (even then you might not find the answers to your Questions) , i did once but that was like a hundred pages or so ago and it took me ages (about 3 months) as it kept growing an growing at a rapid pace

I was recently sent a link to a more dedicated site....http://www.********s.com/index.php....far more user friendly etc etc....and yes i joined :-) but i know i'll still be following here also
hey twice the viewing pleasure

I hope yourself and others stick around, it'd be a real shame to loose such great characters
Cheers
Keep the stoke............Yeeeeew

Old 02-09-2013, 02:16 AM
bearcave

hi all ********s

hear hear dreadrock.... pretty much says it all..... and thinkin anyone with a passion will always search for others doing the same and enjoy the characters involved and their different aproach whatever site they are on and will include all sites as worthy for regular perusal... 

rcsurfing is something unusual as nobody atm has the ultimate 'this is how they are built and surfed' perfected model... sure plenty of takes on it and has come a long way recently but those who are interested can still do their own thing.... being related to real surfing which is always variable imo makes this hobby one of the best rc adventures ever.... 

Kite... your pics, boards and riders are always inspiring... last post6271 about rudder control and links to the relevant sites was great... didn't thank you at the time am trying to stop commenting so much just watchin and takin all the info in...... but thanks to you I now have some 'where do i get em" control arms on order..

YPC... your mathematical theoretical way is always good and in very short time imo you are up there in the masters section.... btw your link to the longest tube ride i've seen on post6278 is something i enjoyed watching... but would never have the time to search for.... goodstuff.

The other masters of this hobby i'm thinkin are happy to watch and comment maybe post some pics or vids when they think it suits... as are many newbies or longtimers... so i will always be watchin and hope everyone else does too....

regards bearcave
Old 02-09-2013, 03:15 AM
YPC

RCU..RC Surfer....nowadays is certainly more of a 'way cool 'on the button' whats happening now ?, chat room.......and it I reckon it is still the best rc site overall.

it would soon be clear to any new reader that any of the required details for production board rebuilds, would take a simple PM to Curls or BB for all the answers in a snap.
As Bear sais......their are so many takes on just about every aspect ........that it is perhaps more confusing than informative......
Getting in and being apart of the 'forum' is part of the 'experience'........its not the Wikipedia of rcSurfing.......its a hang out !

The Forums with the various Topics within itself can get rather busy - scouting from one topic to the next......they to get so bif that one cant keep up with all the various topics.

Forums to me are like favorite 'hangouts'....we don't want them to all be the same.....visit which ever one you feel like being apart of at any given time....... admission is Free !

Surf
Had some 'small' ......very low tide....fun surf this morning.........hung out with David and Nick......it was great having three boards in the water.....always a spectacle for all to enjoy...we drew more attention than our local province surf comp...........LOL

Bro ********. ...
Share the Stoke !
Old 02-09-2013, 08:13 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

dreadrock

[/b]bearcave

you guys hit the nail square on the head

YPC maui john

[/b]surfcurls [/b][/b]
[/b]
Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 AM
YPC

Cant always get what we want......but we can make the best of it !

Quick 'one pack' evening session........small onshore slop........but their is always a 'face' to be ridden.....It was hard to film....always losing the board in the troughs.......fun never the less !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv8FKAhmVtQ[/youtube]

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Hughengland

Maui Update:
Another big NW swell arrived Friday, outer reefs +12ft faces
Today ran 3 bricks in Paia Bay steady 4ft thumpers with some bigger sets - but kinda messy as waves popped up all over the place.
Silver Surfer broke both legs today after a fantastic wipeout onto a rock shelf while backdooring a good tube today
Quick repair with carbon & epoxy - so he will be ready for another session Sunday.
Start work on a film shoot next week so got to get some waves over the weekend.

Name:	Ca80471.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1850140  
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM
surfcurls
Banned

YPC

Please Don't Get Me Wrong. Your New Board Is Looking / Running Great,
But It Definitely Gets Huge Air, Even With 1 Foot Shore Break.
Looking at Time Mark 1.00 It Looks Like The Board Launched 6 - 8 Feet In The Air.
Would That Launch Height Become Exponential On Larger Waves Even At 4 - 6 Foot Faces ?
I Love Launching Off Waves, But How Much Is Too Much Air, As The Elecs Might Take A Pounding.
We All Used To Worry About Water / Heat. Maybe it's Time To Look At Launch...

Hugh
Some Size And Carnage.
Got To Sea Pipeline Yesterday From My Office Desk
And Watched The Waves Grow, and Grow And Grow Until The Swell
Was Hitting 3rd Reef Just Before Sundown.
Some Awesome Rides, A Lot Of Broken Boards, So Damage Goes With The Territory ...

MJ
Always Great To Chat ! I Think This Is The Biggest RC Surfing Wave Caught On Video And It's Got Your Name On It.
Can You Imagine The Launch Air Time With A Light Board In Size Like This ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFjlqnHs2s&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 PM
YPC

Howzit Hugh.......Silver man has been taking a hammering........sounds like it was all worth it !
Hope you have a great session to-day ( Sunday) I'll be out looking for some 'bigger' surf as well

Hi Curls......thanks for the 'rating'.....I am very happy with the board.......always a design in progress.

That particular launch was an 'intentional high jump'........from my Jet skiing days ......a vert face and big gas .....gets you 'high' The hefty onshore also helps it climb a little more.
No leaks and no heat problems. I doubt whether the electrics will take a hammering from the landing. I have done 'plenty' of big airs with previous boards and never damaged anything. As long as everything is 'secured' well.....all should go well.....

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 AM
bearcave

hugh............ pic of silver surfer contemplating his next move...... priceless

Surfcurls......big waves RC HAWAIIN STYLE..... always good seein that vid

YPC..............internal/external antenae test finaly done by someone.... 5 stars for your input.... new surfer looking good in the waves too

Anyway while thinkin about the section sections and how hard it is to find relevent info when you need it now.... and the fact it has all been said before and the frustration and time consumption to post and search for such stuff... production/non-production wise and custom.....was thinkin maybe some interest in this post may show RCU we are serious hobbyists by starting something now...
Have no idea how this could work but.... espec regarding all the previous posts... but what about this for a try out?

I have some modified ********s know some basics like them lots and want to build a real one this year..... One of the biggest things i see is that the pod/engine room is a big weakening of the hull once the stringer has been cut and was wondering if any would be prepared to show or speak about there ways of construction in this area.

I have watched maui johns vid and peeked into your compartments and pod shapes when you post.... i know its a kind of personel thing and many may not want to share their secrets.... (remember i'm just lookin at your boards... happy with my girls personel pods and compartments atm....)

Of course i am being greedy and selfish, time searching for everything faark even the raven who does nothing but fly around cruising the skies  all day looking for food and updrafts maybe even some walkin on the ground attacking a Mcdonalds wrapper, reckons it takes too long, even if you take notes...but it could be a start of a section called "the engine room" ...or something.....

Anyway just a thought.... 

Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Hughengland

Aloha Bearcave,

I do not use stringers in my blanks. I actually remove the wood stringers if the blank(broken used boards) have them before I shape the rc surfers.
I find that stringers are a real ***** when shaping, doing engine room & installing prop shafts & skeg posts.
The rc boards are so short and narrow that all strength & stiffness is adequate you wrap the rails when glassing.
This being said I still pay attention to reinforcing the skeg post tube so that it is very strong.

Waves are huge in Maui today - copy & paste in your web browser the link below: scroll down 1/3 page to see wave heights measured in feet - wave face
http://omaui.com/maui-surf-report-fo...ary-10th-2013/

Aloha
Hugh
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM
YPC

Bearcave........its always good to compare notes............I should receive the radio itsfishi suggested I try, toward the end of this week....I'll let you know how it compares.
The HK GT2 has been working great !

Curls....speed - trajectory - hieght - weight -all make for good air ......BUT .......remember this as learnt on the skateramps .......the 'heavier you are'......'the harder you fall'....LOL

You can see the difference in the wave launch in the session I had today...... the wind was offshore.......completely different, not that landing big air has been a problem.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Spx7wJe1Y[/youtube]

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 02-10-2013, 11:02 PM
YPC

Howzit Curls....looking at the video you posted !......as impressive as the size of the wave is...........MJ said it all..........it chewed most of his battery just rying to get out.....he needed to be on a cliff to see over the white water.......and Jock needed to be on the beach for recovery..........the wave face was very bumpy and more of charge down the line ride, rather than surf .......a ******** Mavericks experience.........survival !

IMO.....rcSurfeing anything from 1 - 6 foot face is realistic.......bigger than that .......pure survival !

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 PM
bearcave

Aloha Hugh.

I never thought about the stringer getting in the way (do know how hard it can be to drill through something solid surrounded by soft stuff and keeping it centeredthough)...Ilike the strength anegg has with its shell and will be makin sure my rails have plenty overlap... one of the broken boards i have already has some of the shaping done for me regarding nose rocker was gunna give it a go but do have the rest ofthe board... hmm thinkin thinkin oops another confusion headache lol... thanks for sharing your way of doing it.

YPC.... latest board surfing good.... flat water vidnot as good as your other boardsflat waters but surfing vid way better.....your bestsurfboardto datehey.... (i have noticed myself what seems ok flat water doesn't always work so good in the waves)

bearcave

Name:	Ge95194.jpg
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1850757  
Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 PM
YPC

Bear........LOL.......you will be scratching your ass plenty during the custom build.......just remember....'one bite at a time'

I suppose flat water testing could be like testing a F1 car on a rally track.......

Thanks for the positive feedback !

This board still has a number of the previous boards great attributes.......just the nose being slightly wider seems to make an added positive difference in hitting the lip more effectively and overcoming pearling in the tight hollow......one more step forward.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

This was a session filmed yesterday on the False Bay coast line close to the notorious Seal island - the Mac Donalds drive through for Great White Sharks...........
The surf spot is called Cemetery and works mostly in Winter when the NW comes through with th elow pressure ground swell. I grew up surfing this break.....one of my local surf spots.
Did plenty of Surf Jet skiing here with Lisa-Marie......post 4 kids.........LOL

The test for Bro was to see how he handled the Lumpy & Bumpy......its always fun trying to milk a section out of a onshore wave....the surfers really enjoyed hanging out with him......
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNwU6ecMPyw[/youtube]
Old 02-11-2013, 05:29 AM
bearcave

yeh YPC one bite at at a time... you also stated makin a board is like abc.... haha imo its a bloody big elephant too eat and digest properly in one go without spewing the good bits out and wasting them before finishing the meal if you are a slow eater like me....... lol

Glad you took no offence with the flat water comments F1 testing on rally track good analogy for what i meant.... but more like a skiier learning the basics (includinghis waterproofing and equipment theedging the weight transfer the crashing and inabilityto get back down the hillhaha and thegeneral whats happinin..) on a groomed run with the mountains of untracked snow just above...... waiting for the basic training to end and be used accordingly... wherever

btw ..... thinkin your thinkin youmay soonwant to be testing RC HAWAIINSTYLE.....Lisa Marie may not agree if you don't take her and the kids but.... lol

Old 02-11-2013, 07:56 AM
YPC

Hey Bear.......seriously.....just start by carving that piece of foam.....keeping the much spoken about fundamentals in mind.......before you know it.....you will be surfing it......

I am wanting to venture into some 'bigger'' surf this year...no need to visit Hawaii ....Cape Town has plenty to offer.......its just not easy getting into a spot that is firing with good surf - packed with hyped up surfers.........well get their.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.