Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 PM
K-H2o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resinman, I have surfed Hanamanu bay. I live pretty close but I don't go out there much. I like the right if you can score it uncrowded. I paddled out today after a 2 month lay off, man I am getting old. it ain't easy

YPC- Glad I don't have Kelp balls to hit !!! there are other things like SUP's but the kelp monsters look narly !! Nice there aren't at your beach break.

What is up with that Rc********* it crashed both times I went there and I am pretty sure it gave me a Trojen Horse virus.

Cave- just remember to keep the scrimp on the barbie and the brass on the bench !! The Map Gas is cheap here but you don't need it. It is actually a bit hot.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:00 PM
YPC

Howzit Karl...'my dad always told me every birthday he celebrated - that men don't get older - we just get wiser...LOL - but - as you say - we sure do feel the age - as we get older...everything seems to hurt just that little bit more..

The Kelp heads are a serious problem around the Capes hot surf spots - it can be a real problem when surfing as well - especially when paddling out and trying to push under - or when paddling for take off - as the water surges- one can get caught up in the kelp.

All our big surf spots have it - Witsands - Kommetjie - Long Beach - all the reefs.....even the beach breaks often have plenty of kelp floating around after a serious storm at sea...you can see it in my video's ...

Looking forward to seeing you latest build - !
Old 09-04-2013, 12:34 AM
bearcave

Unhappy

Originally Posted by K-H2o

What is up with that Rc********* it crashed both times I went there and I am pretty sure it gave me a Trojen Horse virus.

Yo K-H2o i often get viral horse dwelling computer retarding stuff happenin when i go to rc*********.... Kite reckons it's cause we are all outlaws and deserve it... lol.
If i log on member wise its not so bad... outlawish members like kite mj bro and others may know more about dealin with these Horse people.. if you find out *** is goin on please let me know!

Anyway thinkin BBQ best for food only i got a std Propane bottle for my burner ($16) and some 5/32" brass tube from local hobby shop AND a Dubro pipe bender ($20)

So enthusiasts...
What i found out last night is that without Anealing the brass tube (like heating it to a straw colour then letting it cool... and yes red is too hot) it will kink on the inside at the sligtest of bends.. (see kink on brass tube with label)
After anealing the brass bends very nice up to 90 degree angles but if bending more than 90 degree angles it flattens the tube.
BUT if filled with salt it bends ok.

Remember this is just my trip just sharin what happened..... oink

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cooling tubes.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1916518  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 AM
YPC

Whilst reflecting back on our youth...

Found this old picture...A blast from the past 1998 ( Myself and Lisa- Marie standing together) - Our Jet skiing days down at Cemetery Beach...those were great time - Post Kids !

Name:	206632_6117637370_9756_n.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1916598  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:58 PM
K-H2o

Cave- nice looking bend Grass Hopper, Sensay say you do good !!! Another bend tool is a tight fitting spring, I don't really know if the Conduit style is all that great but let me know if you like it. Same K&S tubing we get. I sometimes dip the hot tube in water to "Quench " it hoping I will get back some temper, Not sure if it hardens at all, but it is cool faster.

YPC- Nice beach scene !!! You needed a couple strapped boards and you could have been towing up a storm out there. a little small but it would have been fun. Nice left.

Aloha, Karl
Old 09-05-2013, 12:45 AM
bearcave

Many many years ago when learning (ha) at school a metalwork shop teacher mentioned something about the 'straw' colour on the brass. Had us heating tube to this colour and following it up the tube then letting it air cool for max softness.... after bending to shape he said heat it again to this colour then quench in water to bring back the hardness.... i think....

Anyway bending is done for the moment thanks for previous info and recent like of my attempt... atm convincing myself its ok to drill holes through the hull.... oh the horror of getting them wrong... lol

Nice pic YPC and what K-H2o said...... btw the dog looks like a Staffy, did he have a go too or just bark at the waves and try and eat them, like so many of them type do.. haha!

Last edited by bearcave; 09-05-2013 at 12:49 AM. Reason: adding 'eat them' to last sentence
Old 09-05-2013, 01:11 AM
YPC

Howzit BC...Brass and Copper also work hardens - so over time it actually hardens up as well...Drill the holes close to the housing side wall so that you can bond the brass tube against the side wall.

The dog was a Staffy - Our fond Queenie - she loved the beach - spent hours dragging Kelp up and down - stayed far away from the water - they dont swim well....she has since passed away.

HowziT Karl - those were the days- I meant to say 'pre kids' - I dont think we knew about tow in Surfing back then 'as it is today' but we did often tow each other on our surfboards - like water skiing - on the wave face...with our rubber duck and jet ski's.....used to be great fun....could get some big airs hitting the lip... off a towed bottom turn.. great fun !
Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 AM
RC Resinator

K-H20.
i have not had any problems with Rc********* , I am using a Mac, not sure if that makes a difference.
MJ has been telling me you enjoy big waves as well as small ones. Paukukalo is one of my favorite waves that breaks small but still can hold some size. It gets a sick "elbow" when it is small, and downright scary when it is big! Have you ever tried to rcsurf the place? I only go there by myself, the locals can get heavy at times.
Aloha,
rc resinator
Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 AM
YPC

Have had a great few days in the workshop 'ploughing my trade' building a board for Oz SE Coast. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...l#post11606301

Enjoy sitting back and the end of the day with an espresso coffee - watching a few of the 'great sessions had' ....keeps me fired up...

This one was special for a few reasons ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiOH05CV6_E#t=65
Old 09-05-2013, 07:25 AM
YPC

The coolest video I have seen - sharing the features of the Vanguard Board

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BDZwESf--M#t=183
Old 09-05-2013, 10:58 PM
bearcave

Theory sounds good but damn its ugly reckon he might have had 20 coffee's before sayin all that too.... then again i am old.... lol
Old 09-06-2013, 12:22 AM
YPC

Howzit BC...LOL - I would rather call it Cute : - Ugly but Desirable !
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM
K-H2o

It's the YPC fullscale. Looks like where you got your design, or did they copy you ?

Resinator- I guess Paukukalo is a secret spot I don't know about ? Is it Kahakuloa? Discribe please.

North swells are back. Winter is starting. Yahoo !!!!

Aloha, Karl

Last edited by K-H2o; 09-06-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:31 PM
YPC

Howzit Karl....somewhat a rhetorical question...although I must say I am flattered you asked...

As I shared way back in April - on my custom forum http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...l#post11464346 I was instantly inspired by Daniel Thomson's Vanguard design when I saw a young surfer from Mexico, surfing one at a local comp being hosted in the Cape.

The peripheral shape just made so much sense to me - especially for an ********. The big advantage is- as mentioned in the video - you have way more 'effective rail'. than when compared a traditionally shaped board - this helps tremendously in the turns. not having as much ability to transfer weight onto the rail. The wider tail certainly helps with the stability - acceleration and speed of the board, which is very evident in my video's.and the wider nose just eats the big white waters...

Effectively - the float'ers water and rail line is equal to a board 900 mm's ( 36") in length.

The float'er is not all Vanguard design - the hull running surface - pod shape and rocker - are all critical features contributing to the boards overall performance.

The more rectangular shape certainly seems to be 'the future' for boards of all sorts..

PowerSurfing - a full scale rendition of rcSurfing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EWGTFcxAr7g ********urfing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNhMhzNBsYU

Name:	IMG_0660.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1917373  

Last edited by YPC; 09-07-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 AM
YPC

Default Bro - Hardware Kit

A complete Bro******** hardware Kit - suitable for boards between 600 - 800 mm's long - Cost USD 150

A link with more details : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...l#post11601518

Name:	IMG_0675.JPG
Views:	773
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1917408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	1917409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0672.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1917410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0673.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1917411   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1917412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.JPG
Views:	764
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1917416   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.JPG
Views:	763
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1917417  

Last edited by YPC; 09-07-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Jimi Findrix

Great looking parts Dom, at a fair price too.
I really like your servo holders and the bi-fin.
What diameter is the rudder shaft and what is the distance between the top of the fin and the underside of the arm ?
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 AM
YPC

Thanks JIMI for the feedback..The standard S/S shaft = 4mm diameter - can be changed out to any diameter required - the standard length of the shaft 'to under the plastic arm' = 30 mm's The fin itself is also slightly 'bigger' than the standard plastic bi-fins. It is really a tough set up - I have hit kelp numerous times and only needed to simply bend the fin back in place - no damage to the shaft at all.

Heard To-Day !. that there is a Custom Board with a Flex Dude 'including battery and radio - now on the market - going for USD 700..... I wonder who that could be ???

Had a great session yesterday evening- Lisa-Marie is studying for an exam so no Video's - will have another session this evening on the high Tide.. - after taking the kids to see 'Turbo !'...LOL

Last edited by YPC; 09-08-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 AM
RC Resinator

K-H20,
I am sure you know the spot. I have also heard it called "Big Lefts". It is near the wave that breaks inside Kahalui harbor, you have to drive thru the local neighborhood to get to the spot. Lite trade winds or Kona conditions are best. I think a North/Northwest swell makes it pump.
Like almost every spot , these days, it can get crowded. The kids from that neighborhood rip!

Aloha, RC
Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 AM
tunda

I surfed that place a couple of years ago when I visited one of my friends up there he lives right down the road in HAWAIIAN HOMES..........Big Lefts is a unreal wave when get kona winds.............
Old 09-08-2013, 09:42 PM
YPC

Howzit Tunda...your board is a week away from being on the work bench !...

Had a few sweet session over the weekend - Lisa-Marie has been studying 'flat out' - but - I managed to drag her out for some fresh air Sunday evening to capture a few Bro moments in the surf. Surfed a pack at Fishoek and Cemetery - making the best of the surf is always a good thing ! ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdoBnUV4eJU

Last edited by YPC; 09-08-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:55 PM
K-H2o

Hey Resinator- Sorry, I didn't sound out the name right and you are right on the name we usually put an s on the end. As far as I know the whole area around Big Lefts is Paukukalo's. I like the other spots as they are rights and usually less crowded.

Winter is starting to turn up some swells but maybe some hope for the Southside this week too.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM
YPC

Howzit JIMI...

....the Aluminium Bi-Fin sure has proven to me what a hammering it can take. I reckon most other materials used for a Bi-Fin like plastic / perspex or glass fiber (even carbon) would likely break on impact, when hitting a chunk of kelp. We've been talking about the amount of kelp I have to deal with in most all my surf sessions...as on the reefs....the kelp is every where in the surf. as seen in the video above - and - look at the amount washed up on the beach at Muizenberg.....in this video....Its great to surf with the confidence that the components will hold up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-t8k88n_9U
Attached Images  

Last edited by YPC; 09-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:18 AM
YPC

Check out this awesome video ! recently filmed by a mate of mine "Dan"...This chap is seriously committed to the task...they traveled for days through the desert to find this spot and capture the footage. Eat you heart out if you dig barrels !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni_xEeAAle0 He is also in the throws of completing a Bro******** narrative film.

Last edited by YPC; 09-11-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Hughengland

Angloa here we come!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:36 AM
YPC

Howzit Hugh....Long time 'no hear' - I do hope you have been busy 'prospering'..

Sure is an amazing 'surf spot' - there are quite a few similar hot spots up the South West Coast...my mate Dan is currently on 'another' secret spot shoot...apparently !... this spot is 'even better'........ if one could imagine that been possible...

You will need some serious 4 wheel drive vehicles and gear to reach those spots ........

How has the rcSurfing been going - has any decent swell arrived ? we are moving into Summer now - so i'll have to be spending more time over the mountain- on the cold Atlantic side - with the prevailing Southerly winds ....I sure was spoilt with much surf in the bay- this past Winter...

Keep us posted !....miss your classic pics !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.