Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 PM
rc surf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Im am not positive, but I don't think there is much of a difference. Maybe slightly more power. It is more important to make sure you are using NiMh( not NiCd) batteries with the higher mili amp hours. I use 6 cell NiMh 4200 mah. I think that is the highest mah although I may have seen a 4400 mah. If you have the room you can also use a 7cell battery for a little more power and run time. But that adds the weight of the extra battery. I have been wanting to get one to see if the trade off is worth it.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Brinky

Hi Everyone, just to let you all know I have just purchased what I believe to be a genuine Kyosho Lisa from Switzerland. This is my first surfer and it's great fun the only down side is the crap 1400 battery.

If any one is interested in buying a Lisa check out the web site at www.Racingmodellbau.ch if you don't speak German use Google search and click translate. I contacted them buy E-mail and they were very helpful. The surfer cost me 90 Euro plus another 30 Euro for delivery to the UK. I sent cash through registered post to avoid hefty bank charges for transfering funds and this worked fine. I received the model within 3 or 4 days of them receiving the money.

If you contact them let them know I have recomended them and Esther might send me a christmas card .
Happy Surfing Ian.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:45 AM
licolau

Is anyone using a brushless motor with the surfer??
Old 09-04-2007, 03:12 PM
rogue29

The Kyosho is a better product than the boardsharks, but you can't readily get them anymore. I was hoping somebody with some insight would modify the boardsharks to perform in a similiar fashion. It would save people alot of money in trial and error. They are starting to show up on the clearance shelves now and if they can be made to surf better, post some mods. If someone has gutted this thing and put in hobby grade equip. put some step by step up and see if these things can be sea worthy. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Beware of imitations! There is some clown selling the surfers on other forum sites and on eBay who claims that they are the real Surfer Lisa's when they're not, just a cheap Asian rip-off. He is also using a video in his ads that he claims is the actual one that he is selling. Sorry folks but it's not. The one in the video belongs to a person who highly modified his and he's not too happy about this Bozo either.
If you want to see the Kyosho Surfers again, write lots of e-mails to Kyosho America and let them know!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 PM
licolau

Personally I am happy with this "imitation surfer". Comparing it to the shark board , it is a lot easier to work on!
I recommend it since the Kyoshos can't be found anymore, unless you are really lucky!!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Paolo.75

Hi, I have both surfers, Kyosho original dude and the fake one Lisa chinese NQD.

The NQD board is strong and heavier than Kyosho, however good build. But the metal parts very very poor! Yuo must change rudder linkage, shaft and every metal part because is not made in stainless steel like the Kyosho.

My Kyosho Dude run with Jeti Phasor 15/3 brushless motor, GP 3700 8,4 Volt, 30x1.4 prop. Is not a rocket but I interested for much more runtime, in fact, going at full gas only in the waves, return at half throttle and waiting still for the good set, I can get 25 to 29 min.

I have another 2 Dude Kits, next summer I'll motorize one of them with Hacker B40 12S, this yes it's a rocket!

If you would see my NQD Lisa that I covered in carbon fiber check this link to my website: http://digilander.libero.it/squalett...ocomandato.htm

I'll post soon a review with photos in action and video in 3 foot waves with my other rc surf, Kyosho Dude, below in this photo.

Regards
Paolo - Italy
Old 09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
licolau

Sick Carbon Board Bro.!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 PM
in-d-boat

You guys may want to try Toys-R Us.......the surfer there is only 39.89! At least at the store in Eastern Iowa. Lotsa big surf in Iowa......lol
Old 09-22-2007, 12:13 AM
oahubuilt

YEAH I BOUGHT MY SURFER AT TOYSRUS... I TOOK UM FOR A TEST RUN AT OUR OAHU BEACHES WITH ATLEAST 5FT SURF..... SHE GOOO!ALITTLE BEATING BUT IT DID GOOD FOR STOCK! THE NEXT DAY I DISMANTL'D IT. I THROW IN A 4.5SS NOVAK BRUSHLESS THAT I TOOK OUT OF MY YOKOMO DRIFT CAR, PUT A BIGGER PROP, MADE SOME CUSTOM FINS,GLUED THE GUY SO HE IS STATIONARY. TOOK IT FOR A RIDE........ SOUNDS LIKE A GAS RC, MIGHT ALITTLE TO FAST. BUT I'D RATHER HAVE IT TOO FAST THEN TOO SLOW. THE ONLY THING I MIGHT NEED TO DO IS UPGRADE THE COOLOING SYSTEM. I GOT SOME PICS CHECK UM OUT!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:01 AM
brushlessboy16

NICE!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:28 PM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

just picked up some of the surfer dudes from walmart for $20 ea. (renton Wa) Try in your area

YMMV
Old 10-07-2007, 07:04 AM
J T

Hi Benos (cycle soul), i've just gutted one of the cheap NQD lisa boards and replacing everything, i hear the figures don't self right too well, so i am thinking of swapping the lisa for a kyosho dude figure as rcsurfrider sells replacement figures. Have you though of trying this with yours? also it looks like you are still using the stock prop shaft and prop?
James
Old 10-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Paolo.75

Hi, the NQD it self right well after wipe out, the Lisa remain still in one side on the water but if you give throttle it self right, and so is for the Kyosho.

In the NQD I've changed everything, new 4mm srainless steel shaft and brass prop 30mmx1.4.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:00 PM
cyclesoul

ORIGINAL: J T

Hi Benos (cycle soul), i've just gutted one of the cheap NQD lisa boards and replacing everything, i hear the figures don't self right too well, so i am thinking of swapping the lisa for a kyosho dude figure as rcsurfrider sells replacement figures. Have you though of trying this with yours? also it looks like you are still using the stock prop shaft and prop?
James

Hey mate, the figures self right ok, especially if you seal up around the arms n head n leg joints with some epoxy or glue. I have also fitted one of the skull heads from surfrider which is made from foam, this adds a bit to the flotation of the body as well and is a lot cheaper than buying a kyosho figure! For the mean time Im still running the stock shaft, i have one of the upgraded props from surfrider to put on there, but havent used it yet.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:51 AM
J T

yeah i spotted small holes at the bottom of the feet so will epoxy them up as well, problem is where it screws into the board doesn't look too water tight either and those screws are a pain to do up, the kyosho dudes look so much cooler though and doesn't stand so high. can't wait to mod this and run it i saw a vid of what it runs like stock and i'm not surprised people have been dissapointed in it. Paulo is yours a flex-drive now? how did you manage to get the old shaft out? i fear breaking it as it's glued in pretty tight.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Paolo.75

JT the stock screws for the feet maybe could break into serious wipeot...I've reinforced with adesive velcro straps and a inox 3mm screw like below.

In my surfers I have no flex shaft that is better however. In the NQD whith few hummer hit I've removed the stock shaft, then replaced whit a Graupner 6mm out diameter and fixed with epoxy glue.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:13 AM
J T

Cool thanks Paulo, on speaking with a guy over at rc surfriders, he reckons to send it to him for complete rebuild but he's only got the reformed lisa/skull dude figures left, no replacement dude figures. Benos, have you got any pics of your skull dude figure?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Paolo.75

Yes JT you can see the pics of my models figure at this link:

http://digilander.libero.it/squalett...ocomandato.htm

Fist the Lisa NQD chinese copy with the board covered in carbon fiber, then the original Kyosho dude model.

And Kyosho dude brushless video in small italian waves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQuv1P-kX4

Regards

Paolo
Old 10-11-2007, 12:17 PM
J T

Nice video Paolo! Apart from the carbon fibre what have you modded the lisa with?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Paolo.75

Apart the board, the figure, the rudder (covered in titanium fibre and with new stainless steel shaft) and the motor mount I've changed everything like can you see in the pics!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 PM
J T

Ah i see! sorry, i thought that was your kyosho dude i was looking at!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 AM
jra111

Hey guys I just bought one last night and I was wondering how many fins the BoardSharks have on the bottom. Mine only had the main turning fin.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 AM
MiFi

Hi
I just bought an NQD surfergirl and registered here because you seem to hav lots of experience with it....i´m from germany and in the german forums nobody tuned the surfer....
im a student so it should be not too expensive and so i decided to get a brushed motor, elektronics and an new servo (is this the right word for it??) in it. i think i got a quite good decisison for electronics but the motor is my problem. the original one is not really powerful enough for the waves in netherlands, even if they are only about 1m high.

do you use tuning-motors from RC-Cars????or special-boat-motors??? i got a look on a 17 or 19 turn car-motor from lrp with about 28000 (at 17T) or 25000 rpm (at 19T) at 7,2V....do you think this might work or is it to much or less power?? i would like to use the original prop for the start.

thanks for your answer

Michael
Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Paolo.75

Hi MiFi,
the car motor betwenn 15-21 turns and 2500-3500 rpm are good.

In the NQD surfer the original shaft, the screws and every metal parts will get rusty soon, you must replace those whith stainlesss steel parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.