Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Jimi Findrix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

OK Rainer,
I just got a photo sent to me by Bob Fawcett, the guy who takes my photos.
He took this one last year.
This place only happens rarely, I have had 3 good runs there so far.
But.... nothing quite as good as this.
This will help you to dream of your next vacation.
Perhaps you can come to Gero.
I live in RC Surfers Heaven.
Hope you like it Dude.

Jimi Kramercaster Findrix.
Geraldton, Western Australia
"Surfcurls Oz"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44342.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1507567  
Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 AM
surfcurls
Banned

Hi Jimi,

Nice photo !

With waves that perfect, lets hit it with our real boards ...
Old 09-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Jimi Findrix

Wish I had a shrinking machine.
It is only a 2 foot face.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:58 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Thats Triple overhead to the Dude !!!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:23 PM
jocktime

Hi Guys,
Latest board is finished, photos and short test video is on our website, [link=http://www.maui********.com/index.html]Maui RC Surfer[/link]
The surf in the test video is pretty weak but we wanted some video and make sure all was working well before we give it to Howard.
Found an old Lisa we had and I think I'll bring her back to life. A lot of great Lisa modification ideas in this forum.
Long runtimes......... jock
Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Jimi Findrix

Just thought I would let you all know;

"Greenough" had perfect 2 foot waves again today, beautiful rights and lefts.
On the sixth pack I crashed into a friends son's surfboard and cracked a Dude's leg and lost half his left arm.
36 degrees C today, Summer is on its way.

Oh well more repairs to do.
Looks like low quality surf for a few days but ya never know.
Sea Ya Guys.
Keep on Carvin'.
JIMI
Old 09-30-2010, 03:16 PM
Jimi Findrix

New arm on its way.
Thanks to John at "Smurfswirls"
and the beat goes on.....
Jimi
Old 09-30-2010, 05:11 PM
jocktime

Aloha All,
Better waves today........Long runtimes. [link=http://www.maui********.com/Surf-Video.html]maui********[/link]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCjG94A1r0[/youtube]
Old 09-30-2010, 09:07 PM
jocktime

Hi Guys,
here is a nice wave from Tuesday at The Ironwoods.
Long Runtimes, Jock [link=http://www.maui********.com/More-Extreme.html]Maui********.com[/link]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhfdLWMAqjc[/youtube]
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Nice Tube Ride !

The Big Guy is Performing Well Under Swell ...

[link=http://www.surfcurls.com]Surfcurls[/link]
Old 10-04-2010, 04:23 AM
Cananzi

hey guys just thought id say gday!!! New to RC surfing and just got a NQD. I have to say that this thread isawesomeso muchknowledge and info. waiting on mods atm cant wait!!

cheers brett

Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 AM
skowowski

Hey Brett,

Welcome to a very addictive hobby. Finally another RC Surfer on the Gold Coast. I'm usually down Burleigh Heads or Miami or occasionally the points. If you need any help or advice just ask and someone will answer your question pretty quickly.

When you're all sorted, let me know and we can head to be beach for a session.

Sebastian.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Kevinmham

HI everyone !  I recently got a NQD  surfer Lisa.  These little surfers rule !! After reading through all these post , I'm not surprised that it leaked. I replaced  the receiver ( spektrum ) motor and esc ( 3600 kv brushless ) and servo ( hitech hs 81 metal gear ).  I  used some of the ideas on this thread and have now sealed all the leaks. I still have to add more cooling coils for the motor and some water cooling for the esc because they both get fairly hot. But right now it works, and is a blast !  My biggest problem is that I added a doll head with hair to the lisa figure ( you can check it out in my RC universe gallery, or youtube at  " Kevinmham's channel " . It looks cools, with her hair flowing in the breeze, but when it falls over, the hair soaks up water and gets a bit heavy no self righting !  I have added weight to the inside of the hull, but I need more or another option.  I wondered about adding a keel to the bottom of the board.  Nothing to big, but that way I could get the weight down lower for a better (hopefully ) recovery Anyone tryed this ? any thoughts or ideas would be great. I don't want to try Lisa out in the ocean yet untill I know I can get it back !!  Excellent thread buy the way, lots of good info here. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:47 AM
surfcurls
Banned

The Dude Rules
Old 10-05-2010, 04:33 AM
R a i n e r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add approx. 100-120g to the keel ...

... and sorry, but Lisa will have to do without flying hair - no good for self righteningin surf;-)
Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Kevinmham

Yeah, I'm realizing now that the hair wasn't such a good idea-it might have to go. Nice pic of your keel, Rainer, that was exactly what I was thinking of doing as well.   Sweet fin, too!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Kevinmham

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I have only used my surfer in a rc boat pondno waves.   I have never surfed before, so I don't know how. When the little surfer gets on a wave, do you back off on the throttle and ride it ? or do you have power on all the time?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Jimi Findrix

Kev,
I would recommend watching some real surfing vids and check out real surf mags, then try to emulate what you see happening at the pro level of surfing.
These are great models that really can surf very well when you get the overall balance right.
Depending on the wave, you can either go flat out or back off a bit and let it surf.
If the wave is running fast along a sand bank or reef you will need to give it to her, you will be amazed at the sections you can make with the speed of these little rockets.
If the wave is backing off and rolling in towards the beach just back off and stall a bit and pull back into the pocket, as soon as you see a fast section looming up ahead give it to her again and wack the top just as the lip throws out, or carve hard off the lip and drop into a fast barrely section just under the lip.
Look for waves that peel consistently in the same place.
Although some guys are content to use the stock NQD Lisa rider and do get some great results, I prefer to use the Kyosho Surfer Dudes.
Dudes are lighter and look better because they crouch lower and look more like a real surfer, and because they are lighter they self right a bit better and don't need as much ballast in the board which is good for a slight increase in runtimes.
Carbon fibre is needed to reinforce the Dudes for bigger more powerful surf but will also help in the small stuff in the event that you do a barrel roll in the shorebreak or get worked hard on a shallow sandbank while coming in on a low battery or something.
If you carbon fibre them and add a layer of epoxy over the top of the paint they are WAY STRONGER and can take a real beating in some heavy conditions, I am sure they could still break but the extra work is fun to do and they are a lot tougher than the standard Dude.
Anything from 1 to 3 foot surf is pretty cool fun, bigger than that and it is extremely awesome and challenging but expect a bit of damage to the Dudes occaisionally, especially if they are not strengthened.
These board can actually surf very big waves but you really do need to find the right kind of surf breaks to operate in, having said that, I have had a great deal of fun running mine in 1/2 to 1 foot surf just as long as the wave breaks and peels along for a while, even if it breaking just feet before the shoreline.
Hope this helps mate.
JIMI (Gero W. A.)
"Surfcurls Oz"
Old 10-05-2010, 09:58 PM
skowowski

Surfcurls, I have to disagree with you. The Lisa figures need to stay.<o></o>

The "Lisa" figures, while they weigh more, they are able to sustain a seriouswipe-outsignificantly better than any "Dude" figure ever could.

Even without strengthening any of her joints with epoxy or fibreglass, she will take a beating that would turn a dude into a china doll that has been dropped out of a three story window.

Filling her with foam is a waste of time and is a messy task which doesn'tstrengthenher much anyway.<o></o>

Ifibreglassa small piece of fibreglass cloth over the knee joints and even after a seriouswipe-outonto the sand from a solidshore-break, she pops back up and keep going. I go through one or two 2mm O’rings every shore-break session, so that will give you some idea of the punishment I put her through and she keeps going without a problem.<o></o>

And the fact that there are almost none available to buy anymore and the remaining figures are selling (or not selling) for the insane price of $199, need I say more?

Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Kevinmham

So, Lisa has some good qualities eh ?  Well Skowowski, I'm also still trying to make her work !!  I think she adds a bit of character and besides, I always have Barbies ( or dollar store Barbaras ) in  all my planes and boats.  Why? I don't really know other than the fact that it annoys some people.  I'm going to try to add a small weighted keel to the bottom of the board to see if it will self-right a little better.  A test in the tub with about 6 oz. taped to the bottom seemed to make her right herself  easily even with wet hair !  Maybe there is hope. Stay tuned.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Kevinmham

" simulating the true styles and making carefully ".  Ummm,  what ? What does that mean !!??
Old 10-06-2010, 02:33 AM
surfcurls
Banned

In Your Opinion, A China Lisa Is Stronger in Surf That A Kyosho Dude Figure ?

Have You Ever Tried One ?

You Are The First RC Surf Pilot In History With This Opinion !

Any way, If You Need To Replace The China Lisa, We Have Those Available, At Only $25

Old 10-06-2010, 03:22 AM
surfcurls
Banned

Thats a China Proverb, So Take it Too Heart !

And For Comments from Seb,
Thats Cool He Likes The China Lisa, NQD Board And Figure
As We Are A Global Dealer For Them.

We Also Are The Only Licensed Kyosho Global Dealer For The RC Surfer,
Which Gives Us Various Price And Product Ranges.

John

Email Is
[email protected]

Old 10-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Jimi Findrix

Hi guys,
As I said, some guys use the Lisa figures very successfully.
I'm just sharing my ideas and thoughts and to be honest, I don't really care what anyone else does or does not use.
All I know is what works for me.
Here is a pic from this mornings session.
This is a place called "Stockfence", I go there often.

Why don't you guys post some pics of your Lisa riders in action?
I would love to see a few being shared by all of you.Keep on Chargin' DUDES!!!

Keep on chargin' DUDES!!!
Jimi
(Gero W. A.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18567.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1511827  
Old 10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Jimi Findrix

Oh yeah Kevinmham,
If you have never surfed before then you definately don't think like a surfer thinks, by this I mean, you won't be able to read the surf conditions, wind, waves, swell and tides like a REAL SURFER does.
So while I am sure you will still have a great amount of fun operating your Radio Controlled Boat with a Ton Of Lead Glued Underneath and a Top Heavy Girl standing on top of it, chances are, your model will Never Ever actually look like it is really surfing.
So by learning a bit about surf conditions and surfing STYLE then you will have a better chance of actually making your RC SURFBOARD look like it is surfing with a good realistic surfing style.

If you "Honestly" can't understand that, then I hope you have a lot of fun playing boaties.
Better still, why not just get into RC Boats and put Barbie in the cockpit?

Plenty more photos of REAL RC SURFING ACTION ON REAL WAVES IN THE REAL INDIAN OCEAN being operated and photographed by REAL SURFERS coming soon!!!

Just be sure to have a lot of fun playing with those barbie dolls, OK?

JIMI FINDRIX (No Lead Keels Needed Here)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.