Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 39 of 311 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: RC Surfer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: RC Surfer

Thanks for that Kev.
    I will have a look at that later.

Hey Seb,
    The other day before I totally lost the plot, you asked me where do I get my seals.
    I thank you for all the info you gave me.

But I just ordered 4 sets of seals from "SURFCURLS".
    They cost me $56.00US.

Now, I know you will be pissing yourself laughing but even though John is probably still fuming at me for my crazy ramblings the other day,
    I really like the guy and I honestly believe that he has done more than anyone else (on a global scale) to try and promote the growth of this hobby and stop it from disappearing alltogether.

$35.00 was postage so the actual price of the parts was comparable with what I could obviously have bought elsewhere.

I just don't mind supporting the people who really care about RC Surfing.
    Of course, I can understand if most people want to save costs and get the stuff nearer to home.

If I did go elsewhere I may have had to experiment a bit with materials until I found something that works.
    But at least I know that "Surfcurls" products work just fine for me.

Hey,
    Cutting up the bracing on an NQD lid to epoxy on my SS washers for my "Inverted Wingnut" footpegs was ok.
    But last night I cut up the bracing under the deck of a Kyosho Lisa to fit the same setup.

That was freaky fun.
    Just don't look back, I thought to myself.

Anyway, hope you are getting plenty of air with those big LiPo's you use.

Sea Ya.

JIMI
    My work here is done !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

$56 bucks...... yes my jaw is hanging on the ground if you are asking!

For that you could have got 20 meters of marine neoprene and still have had enough sponsor an entire village in Africa for a month. A meter of marine grade neoprene seal is only $1.50.
    Thank god for eBay and local hardware shops as I seriously couldn't afford to buy anything from Surfcurls.

I picked up a fresh NQD board today for $60 and will video separating the hull for all those NQD surfers out there who want to seal their boards properly. Will post in the next few days.

Maybe if I fit the neoprene in it, add 4 stainless steel bolts and some silicone tubing I could sell it as a super stock rc surfer and sell it for $300 bucks and make a whopping 400% profit.

Hmmm.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

seb

sweet ya got another one!. Did they have many left?Imight head up on the weekend and grab a couplejustto have spares.
    Goldcoast Rc surfers
    http://goldcoast********s-com.webs.com/
    youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CananziRc/videos

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Seb,
    Dr Curlz was kind enough to send me a $20 refund 'cause the website overcharged on the postage cost.

When I saw the refund in the email inbox I thought he had sent me a total refund and was telling me to piss off.

Ha, Ha Ha.

But yeah I know bro.

Well done anyway, and yes, ebay is a pretty cool thing alright.
    My work here is done !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Brett,

They have about 8 left. Bargain price! Cheers for putting me onto them.

Don't tell too many people they sell them or they will disappear very quickly!

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Since You Asked Seb,

It Takes more Than Silicone Tube, SS Screws And Neoprene to demand ( And Get ) Our Price...

Dont Forget About Sealing The Boards, And Some Other Vital Installations We Perform
    To Get A $150 ( Our Cost In The US) Stock Board To Perform.

At Your Estimate, Of A 400% Profit, WOW, Why Not Try To Sell Some Yourself !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

good to hear every ones spending up i just scored a flexi shaft for 36 n.z
    How do i post sum video footage on this crazy site

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jimi,

You Have Been Great, All The Emails,
    Phone Calls Have Been Fun.

We Have Talked In Lenth About The "Passion Of The Sport"

A Few Comments, Different Opinions Here,
    Will Not Change My Friendship With You !

You Are My Vote For RC Surf Pilot Of The Year,
    And I Bet Most Will Agree.

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I Got The Avatar Working, Thanks To All.

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I Don't Have Many Surf Photo's,
    Mostly Shop Photos, R & D Etc...

As You Know, I spend Most Time Fitting Boards,
    I now Know What A Real Surfboard Shaper Feels.

They See All The Cut Foam On Their Shop Floor,
    Groms To Pros Stopping By To See How Their Boards
    Are Progressing, And Talking Waves Of The Day.

The Shaper, Is Working On Boards For Others To Enjoy,
    Making The Sacrafice Themself, To Work And Not Surf
    For The Enjoyment of Others.

I Now Have A New Respect For The Mcoys and The Merricks !

Dr. Curls

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I’m glad you took the bait.>>

My argument is that your product prices are discouraging the expansion of this hobby.>>

The exchange rate of the US dollar to Australian dollar is 1:1. So exchange rates are irrelevant in this discussion.>>

Breakdown of a Super Stocked board will be my first argument. Your eBay price $300>>

$50 for the Board (this includes the unit price from wholesaler and shipping)>>

$5 for four SS nuts>>

$3 for silicone tubing>>

$3 Silicone. You do not seal the seams as I can see the stickers are still attached on the board.>>

To make these modifications takes very little time and effort, I know as I have done them myself many times. With product costs at just over $60, your labour costs are more than a Commercial Airline Pilot and this price is a definite turn off to those who might be considering taking up the hobby.

>>

Lets now take labour and service costs out of equation and focus on tangible product prices.>>

You buy an NQD surfer for $50, but when you sell the products individual components, you are selling an entire board for $200. Now there is a 400% profit margin for you.>>

Your modification kits are just under $400, but all the same components can be bought on eBay for $185.>>

$3 for 2 foot O’rings, that’s hilarious! I buy packs of 50 for $5>>

Only $100 for a seaking 60A esc??, they are $50 on eBay.

>>

When someone mentions you are the one keeping this hobby alive, I disagree. Many potential RC Surfers would be turned away by the cost of your products. You say they are selling, but eBay is telling me you have only sold 2 at this price. You did however sell more when they were almost half that price. So why the massive price increase?>>

John (Maui********) sells his boards for $900 which is explainable as I have built three of these surfers and know how many hours it takes to build one from scratch, over 30 hours if you’re interested. >>

If you are paying royalties to Jason (out of good faith) with the average royalties being around 7%, I’m sure the $200 buck in royalties from Surfcurls has seriously helped him with all his production and development costs and has helped the future of RC surfing tremendously.>>

Surfcurls is out to help Surfcurls and that’s about it.>>

Now please prove me wrong.>>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to be honest here, I was someone that was nearly discouraged from taking up the hobby due to the pricing at surfcurls/ebay. I had a friend who was discouraged and has now steered clear from it.
    I was lucky enough to find this forum ,which from all theexcellentknowledgeand info that is packed in this 37page rc surfing bibleImanage to get my head around it all and have done things at nearly half the price of an upgrade package.

That'smy two cents andIhope Ihaven'toffended anyone

cheers brett

Goldcoast Rc surfers
    youtube channel

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, Where Do I Start ?

I'm just gonna ride waves, and not create them ...

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What About The GENERAL Public .
    Thats Why We are Here.

Is Our Ebay / Web For You Guys ? Probably NOT.

But it is a start For Others Interested In The RC Surfer
    That Don't want to read 37 pages to fit a board
    properly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well Guys,
    This sure is one crazy blog alright.

But that's all good because the 'One" thing we all agree on is;
    RC Surfing is "KILLER FUN."

Whether it is building up boards or trying to get an awesome photo or video to share and be proud of.
    Or just disappearing down to quiet little beach all on your own for an hour or four to shred that perfect A frame peak that is just a bit small for all the other surfers to even consider.

Without doubt, this blog is the most active place on the planet that I am aware of that deals with this subject and it is getting better all the time because of the fact that all of the knowledge that has been gathered, and is shared openly, after many hours of R & D by people like John, BB, Seb and all of us others is helping to make our equipment perform better and faster and more reliably and our experiences with these powerful little "Pocket Rockets" more consistent and exhilerating for us and the lucky onlookers who can't help but be amazed at OUR achievements.

One thing is certain, things will only get even better the more we all continue to share, discuss, debate and develop.

I am probably the cause of a lot of the craziness that goes on here within this blog, but in some bizarre kind of way I think that all these things do need to come up and be aired from time to time.

This blog is the "RC Surfing Bible" at this time and we are all contributing to the Gospel contained within it.
    Therefore, the combination of all of Our words will definately help to shape the future of OUR very special and unique little passion, not only for us, but for those who are yet to discover the intimate joys of this amazing cross between Radio Controlled Hobbies and SURFING.

Please always remember, there are also other brothers who are still active and have been for a very long time who for one reason or another choose not to participate here at this time.
    However, they also have a rich history of reseach and development and discussion and we should always consider their records as a companion text of equal validity and value as ours.

The combination of our records and theirs is a very interestic topic to study and definately represents the evolution of RC Surfing at its very best so far.
    There are also other exciting chapters and records dealing with the early history of RC Surfing that appear to have been largely lost to the sands of time.

We are all so extremely lucky that out of all the people in the world, We have found this amazing hobby/sport/addiction and must always remember to enjoy our individual participation within it as much as we possibly can.

Blahdy bloody blah blah blah.

Yeah alright Dude, Surfs Up.
    Should be some classic waves at "Stockies" early.
    Better ring Bob.
    Sea Ya.

JIMI FINDRIX
    (Geraldton, Western Australia)
    My work here is done !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, cool to see more avatars !  I just replaced the starter in my Dodge Charger.  I paid $99 for the part.  My labour cost nothing ( to me ) since I did it myself. I could have taken it to a shop, and they would have charged me $300 probably.  My point is if you can't do the work  yourself, you have to pay someone ( like surfcurls ) to do it for you . This is a fact of life. Also it is a buisiness.  If you are able to do the work yourself, great! power to you! You saved yourself some cash. The hobby needs people that are interested in helping others with their boards. Sure, they charge mark-up on parts. What company dosen't ? So far I have not needed to buy anything from surfcurls, but I'm glad they are there . I might need them as I get more and more into these little surfers.  There is also nothing wrong with hunting down your own parts or doing the work yourself. Thanks all!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh Yeah RC Surfer Dudes,

Besides an awareness of all the fantastic developments in modifcations and general knowledge on this subject that have happened in recent times, I honestly believe that you all have a hell of a lot to be very proud of because this blog is really coming alive in so manydifferent ways.

All this new found enthusiasm for colour with Avatars, Mod Photos, and HARDCORE Action Pics.

Also, the willingness to have heartfelt discusions on some pretty Taboosubjects which in one way or another do warrent considerationand also the ability of all our members to overcome various differences of opinion and get on with the job of improving their equipment and knowledge of the craft and to continue sharing the fruits of their labours and to continue helping keep the overall vibe of the blog alive, interesting, civilizedand fresh.

This blog isreal visual verification that against all the odds, RC Surfing is well and truly alive and growing in 2010.

Future generations will not only piss themselves laughing as they search through these pages but they will be left with avast accumulationof hard won knowledge and a very high standard of equipment performance that I hope they will also be extremely proud tolearn from and improve upon, thanks to Us.

I myself, am extremely proud to be a member of such an outstanding global bodyofRCenthusiasts who share a common passion for such unique and special RC models.

So because you have all been so very tolerant of me and my over active imagination and crazy ranting and raving, here's another cool pic for ya's

Keep on chargin'

JIMI FINDRIX
    Gero, W. A.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ca82351.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	1519433  
    My work here is done !

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Point well Made, This is a room of experts for the most part.

We do fill the void for people that don't want the hassles,
    I 've had guys send me brand new kyoshos unassembled
    to fit them because they didnt have the time and
    said they "Just wanted to run it, not build it "

Thanks for the help for all of us with the Avatars

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys

For someone that is not crafty enough to do the work them selves thenItotally agree, No doubt if you have the money surfcurls is the place to give a nice lil package to get you going (upgrade package) or (pro package). standard sales mark up is around 100% or more on most things anywhere, so $400 for the upgrade package is actually about on par. I think the stock model is a lilpriceyfor what it is tho

I guess if you are selling it for less then like surfcurls said there really is NO profit in it anymore.

Its a veryinterestingbut touchy subject.

BUT on a bright note!!! its raining here so ive got the day off!! and im just about to pick up my brand new custom 6'1 DMS panther!! wo0o0o0oho0o0oo0

HAVE FUN AT WORK FELLAS!! lol

Goldcoast Rc surfers
    youtube channel

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Crew,
    Today there was another RC Surfer in the water with me.
    His name is Luke and he has been into RC cars for several years.
    He has been watching me run my models over the last few months at a little reef just in front of his house.
    A place called "St Georges".
    He has had several goes on my surfer and now he has just got a Venom board.
    He took a motor, ESC and radio from one of his cars and sealed her up a bit, chucked in a Lipo and had a little session with me today.
    He still has a bit of work to do but he is so stoked.
    He got some really cool rides too.
    Go Luke!!!

Sea Ya.
    JIMI
    My work here is done !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This forum has become very entertaining. Not only is there plenty of info here, but  the people seem to be genuinely  interested in helping out fellow surfers. Myself, being a newbie rc surfer ( haven't even had it in salt water yet !! )  I especially appreciate the tips and advice. Thanks to all.  Also, the people on this forum seem to be comfortable expressing their opinions on whatever, and fellow readers Allow this.  This is part of what makes this blog great !. It is nice to see people from all over the world be able to dissagree on something in a very adult and accepting way. There dosen't appear to be any name calling and everbody's veiw gets to be expressed.  37 pages worth of banter proves me right ! Right ? Keep up the good work. I know I'll continue to read this forum.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Me too, bro.
    My work here is done !

Banned
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Cananzi,

GET YOUR AVATAR !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sebski,
    I just ordered the flexi stuff.
    Just 1 of each part for now.
    Thanks for the help, you have made getting that stuff sorted very easy for us all.
    A guy from another chapter also gave me some info for an Octura flexi set up that he uses on his Kyosho hulls.
    Might not need to drill out???
    I will check it out and let you know all about it when I have time.
    Sea Ya.
    JIMI
    My work here is done !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a test pilot run pic before i painted the figure. It.... might be hard to see with this pic.. Ive dremeled a deep trench along all the molding seams on the skull surfer and fill with glass rovings and pretty much fibre glassed and sanded till smooth....Now he's a thosand times stronger and after sum heavy shore break drillings.. He always pops up grining for more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf10262.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	125.9 KB 
ID:	1520039