Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Jimi Findrix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Curlz,
The new radio seems fine.
No drop outs in the surf .
But it is different and takes a bit of getting used to. (Like any digital gadget)
Being a bit old school, I like the simplicity of my old FM radio but was having a few problems at some locations.
So far no problems and the stubby 2" antenna tube is cool.

Have not been out lately, just doing other stuff.
Got a bit pissed off with all the breakdowns and decided to have a break for a while.
Will get out for a run again soon no doubt.

Sea ya.

JIMI

Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Well, I think You Have Charged Harder Than any Other Rc Surfer Pilot For The Past Year
On A Global Scale...

You Deserve a Break.

Hey, tell Your Wife Karen, and son Joseph Hi for me.
I bet they haven't seen you Near Enough for some time.
My Wife Told Me The Same, All She Has Seen For Years Is Me At Computers, Epoxy, Chargers, Sanders
Tools and Parts all over the place ....

It's all good. This sport Rocks, and Is Growing Because of Guys Like You !!!!

Curly

Old 04-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Jimi Findrix

Thanks John,
Yeah, it is pretty cool fun alright.
But these little rockets sure are high maintenance.

I have a new NQD and I have cut out the battery tray, I have cut some engravers plastic for the new tray.
I am gonna fit the Seb flexiend shaft in and then glue in the new tray.
I think I will go back to using a weight under the motor for this one, rather than on the bottom.

Just can't seem to get round to doin' it at the moment.

JIMI
Old 04-26-2011, 08:55 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Take a break, Hit Some Salt Water With a Real Board
As Time Permits, and call Me In The Morning

Dr. Curlz
Old 04-27-2011, 08:08 AM
jcrave

Hi guys, been doing some homemade boards, but not good enough yet, now I'm doing it the right way, with poliurethane and fiberglassed... This has been quite a challenging project, I can say the hardest I've had... By the way I'm from portugal so I have plenty of waves around to test my surfer

Here's some pics of the build at the moment. Will try to keep you informed about the developments!

By the way, THANKS for all the good tips found in this forum!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

jcrave

nice board how long and wide is it ,it is great to see boards from scratch , please keep us up dated on your progres . john maui
Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM
jcrave

Thanks Maui,

Good question, I only eyeballed it's shape, but later I'll make some measurements! but it's probably some 30" long and 9" wide... It looks quite wide, I'm looking at a stable platform for now.

One question I have is, where shoud the center of gravity be? and how much weight must I put underneath? Enough to level the surfer after the board is on it's side?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
itsfishi

epic morning got 6-7 foot face waves at a rock point break called cowries near my place, just chargin up and going back for more, only 2 resl surfers out when i got there at 6.30 probly packed now but i gonna give it a look. i wish i had someone with me to film.
had one really good wipeout and got held down and pushed way in close to the rocks, popped up just in time to get out a little and get hit again but not as bad and got away. cause point break can just get out away from the rocks and get around the breaking waves, other wise no chance.

got me thinkin about the scale of these things, our dudes dudettes are approx 1 foot tall for arguments sake lets say equivalent to a six foot person

so our surfers on a 6 foot wave would be equivalent to a real surfer on a 36 foot wave.

so to scale we could be surfing the biggest waves ever ridden!

whats the biggest waves that anyone knows an rc has surfed?

a 10 foot face would = 60 foot for rc (sick)

i challenge everyone to ride the biggest wave in history!! (to scale that is)

jcrave on my nqd 26inch cg is almost 15 inches back from the nose and goes great(thanks jimi)

JImi my board is going great many thanks for all your help the .150 flex is going great and no probs yet at all just smmooth running, i used your how to on page 71 to build stuff box etc also the jimirocker is a winner. and your reccomended cg is spot on. cant wait to get some good vid to share but as you know its hard to get someone to film.
have you heard any more about the wombara boards.
cheers mate . cant really believe your gonna do anything by halves on that new board lol.

hope you all have a great day
Old 04-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Justin-san

Sounds like you had a great time. Good on ya mate!
Justin
Old 04-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Justin-san

Ben working on a RC surfer from Curly. I going to go with a bi-fin rudder on this board. The original rudder shaft is to short so I drilled out the old plastic one and inserted a steal shaft that is counter sunk and epoxied in (hope it will hold). I'm fixing the outside fins and using a brushless system. I had to order a 5mm to 4mm shaft connector and I added pads under Lisa's feet so she does not wobble as much. I may try to lower her stance, as I have seen some of you guys have done. I'm thinking of heating her in the oven to evenly soften the plastic. I have done this with other plastics I needed to bend and it works well. The trick is the right temp and time.
Justin-san
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49682.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1600208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87008.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1600209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82052.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1600210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58900.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1600211  
Old 04-27-2011, 06:24 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Looking Good Justin !

The Hull Was From Me, But I got it From Surfrider Ed Years ago.
Just To Clarify, so There is No Confusion from Ed.

Make sure to get some Zip Ties on All The Hose Fittings.
One slip will fill that Hull in Seconds.

You'll Have That Kyosho Hull Running By The Weekend ...
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM
itsfishi

looks sick justin, if havnt already done so you should waterproof your esc, servo and reciever just in case. there are various ways of doing it.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:31 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

jcarve

With the board being 30in longand 9 in wide and the keel being 2 to 21/2 in. deep .I would start with 1 pound , and try to keep it in the bottom off the keel . I like to keep the balance point just back from the center ,the more back it is the moreit will turnoff the tail , the more forward you put it and the board will do 360s or spin out. Theboard being wide really helps it in the whitewater and is very stable all around .

how about your motor ESC set up ,you might have to use a large 540 a nd a3 cell lipo

FISH

6 to 7 foot i wish maui had waves like that, its summer now small waves

jimi

when is the new wombarra boards coming out.

johnmaui
Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Cananzi

justin

you board looks great! nice one.

A few of us had a go at heating the plastic of the figurines but it seems to have a very fine line between being able to bend/heat it without it crinkling up. You might have more luck with it.

Ive come up with a rudder configuration that is able to take an impact and then be simply beturned back into place and then tighten if needed. Far better then haven to re epoxy the shaft back in place all the time if you take a big hit. let me know if yours breaks and ill show this other way , seems to work really well.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Justin-san

Thanks everyone.

Curly, yes I will put zip ties on the hoses. I'm just checking length and fit right now.

Cananzi, Thanks for the tip on heating and rudder I'll let you know how it goes. I made some lenses for a Storm Tropper helmet by heating them in an oven it works great much better than using a heat gun. The heat gun does cause wrinkles and warpage.

Itsfishi, The ESC is suppose to be waterproof. Its one of the Turnegy 60 water cooled.? The servo is just a standard one I've got extras.

Justin-san

Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Jimi Findrix

G'day from W. A.

After doing nothing but RC Surfing for a whole year I decided to paddle out at a fun little right hander 5 minutes from home.
This time last year I was quite surf fit and paddling 'round and catching waves like a grommy.
2 hour surfs at the main breaks with a full on crew was an everyday occurence.
Well, by the time I had paddled out today my arms were nearly falling off.
After a couple of not so good waves I got caught inside for a couple of long sets and had to paddle for about 10 minutes until a lull let me get back out to the takeoff zone.
After that my 47 year old arms were really feeling like jelly, lol.
But as there was only 2 other people out, I hung in there and did manage to ride a few right through from the peak to the flickout at the end.
It is amazing how unfit you can get in 1 year but it did make me realise just how fit I was this time last year.
Think i better start surfing a bit more regularly again.

Now concerning the new Wombarra boards, I don't know, have not heard from Brendon for a while.

Sea ya.

JIMI
Old 04-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Cananzi

jimi

i can feel the difference even after2weeks of no surfing i would hate to of felt the pain of your arms after a good year or sowithout a surflol
Old 04-27-2011, 10:32 PM
itsfishi

justin those esc are not waterproof. dont trust the chinese manufacturing against salt water. your esc will loose. just fill each end up with silicone or even just hot glue will help. its worth the effort.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 AM
jcrave

Ok maui, thanks, I'll use your answers as a starting point!

The electrics used are normal airplane brushless motor and speed control for now, later I'll buy some better electrics for another board.

Right now I'm starting to fit the electrics and found I'm gonna be in trouble to manage to fit the battery in such a short and thin board, but managed to do it!

Still waiting for a shaft and propeller from cornwall model boats to arrive, anyone knows how long they take to ship stuff?

If it takes too long to arrive I'll just start to build a bigger board, to accomodate the electrics better, as I wanted to go with 4s (low kv motor) and now, because of space I'll be restricted to 3s...
Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 AM
jcrave

Double post...
Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

justin

your board looks great you are going to have plenty of power to make those super hollow beach breaks of so cal . I cant wait un till i can RC surf with you and curly , iwiil be there in 3 weeks or so i hope the waves are good .

john maui
Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Justin-san

Thanks Fishi I'll squirt some goo in there.
JS
Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Justin-san

Sounds good Maui.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 AM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

cananzi

i want to ask a question i burnt my 120 seaking ESC now i am going to buy a turigey 120 is it a good ESC , i nomaly use caslte ceation or an etti ESC but very costly.,any body have a comment... thank you

john maui
Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 PM
itsfishi

seaking = turnigy = seaking = turnigy,just different stickers. i got the turnigy 120. imo its great but i havnt ever used any other marine esc so i have nothing to compare too. its the 2nd one ive bought, drowned the 1st(they are not waterproof). its worked perfect so far on 4s for me. will be good to get your opinion comparing it with castle/ etti esc. the program card is good to get too alot easier to program than beep method. hope that helps john.
the surf here has gone from dead flat a week ago to 6-8 foot and should continue thru the weekend hopefully.

someone down the beach this morning had a vid camera and got some film of my board, hes gonna give me a copy this arvo so hopefully i can get some vid up later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.