Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 11-06-2010, 02:16 AM
surfcurls
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Add A Mini Video Cam On The Mohawk
And You Will Have It Solid !

Old 11-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Cananzi

Jimi

The board looksawesomewith the black sides, might have to steal that idea off ya ;-)

I started my battery tray mod today.Made a mould of the battery and fiberglassed it. Cut out theexistingbattery tray to fit the mould and cut off the small ribs on the lid and presto! lid should still be strong without the ribsbecauseits glassed.Ialso made it so the battery tray slots into the rear wall 5 to 10mm and glassed it all in. My pack is145mm x 49mm x 26mmI could fit a maxium of roughly 155mm x 50mm x 28mm . I'll get pics up soon as its finished.

Seb

that cam is pretty clear! love the flips your pulling off thats wicked.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 AM
R a i n e r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome video!!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:43 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

seb

killer vid you are doing some unreal airs and making it your board is ripping , cant belive you vid at the same time that you surf unreal vid great idea , john maui
Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 PM
skowowski

For anyone interested or who just wants to kill some time, the links below are vids of my other hobbies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU5mxd4znFE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wumIE_NvwKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riFR6GMDoA4

I enjoy making videos!

Seb
Old 11-08-2010, 04:12 AM
goggz

punk head [:-]
Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 AM
CalifKid

Love the skydiving vids Seb. Especially the footage of guys shooting thru clouds. Makes me want to go again!
WHOOOOOOOO!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Cananzi

Goggz

that mohawk is wicked!! ,love it. Punk rocker!

Guys

finished the tray mod and took the surfer out for a spin in the pool with theoriginalshaft , self rights good andIdunked it under water and held it under for ages, there wasnt a drop of water inside but Im guessing pounding waves will be adifferentstory. just gotta get some props for the flexi shafts and im sorted.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Saltypirate

Hi,
Has anyone made a contents page for this thread, if so please paste below, because it takes me half an hour to find what I'm looking for evertime. This is even with the "search this thread" button
Cheers
Old 11-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Kevinmham

Greetings surfers.  

I tried attaching a small video camera to my transmitter ( instead of a helmut) to try and get some surf video.  It worked pretty well, except I needed to point it up a little more.  First video showed a lot of shore waves, but not much of  the dudette !!.  Second and third were better, but I forgot to use the zoom, so she looked a little small . All three videos were too craptacular to post !!  Deffinetly worth exploring again.  I'll post some video when it is half decent.  You guys have great videos, so you have set the bar pretty high !!!

I also have a small video camera ( cheap crap !! ) that I might try to mount on the board , to get some on board action shots.  The extra weight might be a problem. Maybee if I remove chinese Lisa  but leave the camera for a couple of rounds, I might get some cool footage.  Any thoughts? 
    The camera was cheap, so I'm not concerned with wrecking it. 

I talked to a full size surfer I know, and he said the surfing is generally pretty poor here on the lower Island.  To get decent waves, I'll have to go to the west coast of the upper Island . This means Tofino.   Kinda a long drive !!  I'm still going to search down near me first.  

Later, boys !
Old 11-09-2010, 12:55 AM
R a i n e r

So far I helped myself printing each of the 47 (!!)pages of this thread into a PDF file andjoin all 47 PDF-files into one PDF-file.
Then searching is easy.

Nevertheless, a contents page would be a good idea, indeed!

Old 11-09-2010, 01:44 AM
surfcurls
Banned

Best to find a way to mount the camera on the board WITH The Lisa Figure on it,
As The Figure is needed to self right the board ...
Old 11-09-2010, 02:09 AM
skowowski

Come to think about it, if you want to attach a board cam, I suggest to lose the Lisa to start with as she will just be a pain when trying to fit a waterproof camera.

Attach the cam so thelensis at the highest point (you don't want to film the nose of the board) If the camera is shooting upside down or side on (all depends on what camera you have), no problem, when you edit the footage just rotate it 90 or 180 degrees so it is level on screen.

Than attach a small piece of foam or a balloon to the top of the camera to assist with self-righting.

As long as it is not a 35mm professional camera and is only 5 to 7mm high, the balloon should bring the board 90 degrees to the water level, the weight of the board should flip it back to zero degrees as the camera's weight is low on the board.

Will look weird surfing without a figure, but i'm sure a small camera (with no optical zoom) should capture something interesting.

John from Maui did it but it didn't look as good as when real surfers do it. But hey, no harm in trying.

We definitely need more surfing footage!!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:14 AM
Kevinmham

My Lisa figure by herself weighs just under 5 ounces. My camera also weighs just under 5 ounces. They are almost identicle in weight ! I think both together will be too much and it won't self right. I could be wrong ,though. Since I added a bit of weight to my keel to balance Lisa, I think it should surf in a similar fashion with just the camera. I might have to add something to the deck to give it some hight though. Kind of like the way your transmitter feels different with the antenna extended. It weighs the same, but balances better.

This is ,of course, just a theory.!! It could end up at the bottom of Juan de Fuca Strait !!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:28 AM
Kevinmham

I like the balloon idea !  good call !  No, it isn't my 35 mm camera. It is a cheap video camera that shoots in suprisingly good HD.  I've used this camera in a rc boat and in my rc car.  The car footage is kind of jerky and hard to watch.  The rc boat footage is kind of boring, 'cause it's slow, but kind of realistic as well.  They can be seen on my youtube channel if your interested.  I don't know how to post a link, but if you go to " Kevinmham's channel "  you'll see them.

The camera itself is a DXG-567V HD and is 4.25 x2.5 x 3/4 inches.  The lense will be about4 inches off the deck.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Jimi Findrix

Seb,

After cooking yet another brand new Kyosho coupler and shaft I decided to google a bit more and go shopping for the Flexi coupler liike yours in my motor shaft size.
Eureka, I have found the place that has Flex-Hex 3.2mm to 3.2mm Steel Coupler.

http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/fastelectrics.htm

They have the grub screw and they look exactly like yours.
Alright bro, I just ordered 3.
I have one shaft already and some props are on their way.
I think the extra power of the Lipo's just destroys the Kyosho direct couplers and am extremely relieved that I have found these.
Thanks bro.
Sea ya.

JIMI
(Geraldton - W. A.)

Old 11-11-2010, 05:43 PM
skowowski

Jimi,

Well done for finding it, I had a look and couldn't find much. So you ordered 3, you are an RC Surf shop my friend!

When it arrives and your setting it up. Install the motor, shaft and coupler make sure everything is in line when you epoxy the end of the shaft and kiss your shaft and coupler problems goodbye! I'm still on the first coupler and it's been years, so coupler wise you're set for at least 6 years ; ) Just maybe change the shaft every 6 months if the ending does start to become a little wider.

Perth doesn't look to fantastic for surfing, the reef and Rotto island seem to kill the swell before it hits the beach. What's your opinion on Perth surfing, especially for RC Surfing?

Cheers, Seb
Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Jimi Findrix

Sebski,

Perth is not too crash hot for real surfing,  the serious surfers based in Perth always go down south to the Yallingup - Margaret River area.
But they do get some swell and I think you could find some awesome little waves if you check out all the various beachbreaks groynes, marinas and reefs.

But Perth is a pretty big city and depending on where you live it could be a bit of a hassle travelling through all the traffic to find it.
One tip I can offer is, most of the surfers live in the suburbs around Scarborough,and Trigg 'cause that is where the best waves are on a regular basis.

Why don't you just move to Gero, we have dozens of places that are suitable, all within half an hour from anywhere you live.
We have great swell often and a lot of the time I am the only one in the water, Rc or real.
Some of the breaks that I have found perfect for RC Surf NEVER get any swimmers or surfers out.

I tried my Gathcam the other morning, worked fine but no zoom means I can only really use it for certain places.
Pages and Point moore break very close to the beach and are perfect left handers, but you have to know when to hit it.
I did not get any footage worth keeping 'cause the surf was tiny and no real good banks and the surfer looks so small in the vid 'cause he was surfing off the beach a fair way at Greenough.
The surf has actually been flat and blown out most of the time for the last 2 weeks.
This time of the year surf drops off and we get a lot of strong southerly winds, especially in the afternoon.
But even on small swell there are plenty of beach breaks that can offer really good quality waves for RC Surfers.
Just need a nice offshore wind.
Swell is coming up today and should peak at about 4 foot, I am hoping to get some video footage at Point Moore early Sat morning.
Bob is away at a mine site for a couple of days, so no photos tomorrow.
I am thinking I might just run my Nimh packs until I have the new coupler installed, I just don't seem to have as many problems with the Kyosho couplers when I use those packs.
I guess they were designed fir NiCad and can handle NiMH ok but Lipo is just too much power for them, they always play up and come loose and then they are dead due to the heat caused by the spinning..

Cananzi,
Looks like you did an awesome job on your battery tray mod.
I wish I could do mine like that.
I assume you did it while the hull was split apart?
Well done mate.
Sea Ya.
JIMI
(Geraldton - West Oz)

Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 AM
R a i n e r

Thanks for finding that Prestwich UK page - cool! - 'got everything you need!
Old 11-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Jimi Findrix

Hi Crew,
I amputated a Dudes broken arm this morning and glued on a new one (Thanks for the body parts Dr Curlz).
Also glued another ones leg back on at the hip.
They have been broken for a while, as they were not reinforced with CF they eventually got hammered.
So I am preparing them for a CF treatment and I think I will get many more moons out of them then, even though they have been SERIOUSLY broken and fixed several times before.
I currently have four that have been glued back together and need CF and paint.
My main CF one in use at the moment is showing no signs of cracking and has been getting a beating for a while now.

Swell has come up but the wind has been bad but it should be not too bad in the morning.
I am preparing for a Dawn Patrol at 5:00am and I am hoping that "Point Moore" is crankin'.
I will be taking my Gathcam.

Sea ya crew.

JIMI
(Geraldton - W. A.)

Old 11-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Jimi Findrix

Surfer Crew,
While there is a 3-4 foot swell and the wind is light SE, after a couple of weeks of howling S the waves looked pretty average this morning.
So after checking "Point Moore" at 5:00am I made my way home checking "Pages", "Stockfence", "St Georges" and "Sunset".
While "Stockies" and "Shories" did have a few waves they were bumpy and average.
Decided to wait 'till another day and got home @ 6:15am.

My point is, "As with real surfing, If the waves are, at best, average, then the whole experience will be pretty average."

No matter how amped up you get, sometimes it is better to just go home and wait for a better day.
There is a bigger swell hitting on Tuesday, I might have to wait and have another look then.

Basically, our prevailing summer southerly wind pattern has put a stop to my run of daily offshore RC surf perfection.
But at least now I have a bit more time on my hands to work on boards and Dudes and all the other things I should be doing around the house.

Sea ya.

JIMI
(Geraldton - W. A.)

Old 11-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Jimi Findrix

Crew
Old 11-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Jimi Findrix

Hi Crew,
I saw some good little waves at "Pages" late testerday afternoon but the wind gusts were up to 56Kmh.
I did the 5:00am dawn patrol again this morning.
Nothing I didn't expect to sea.
Similar to yesterday.
Sightly better wind but the swell has dropped a lot.
Home by 5:30.
Back to bed.
Beautiful morning though and at least there is no traffic this time of the day.
Sea ya.

JIMI
(Geraldton - West Oz)

Old 11-14-2010, 04:22 AM
skowowski

Hi Guys,

****ty surf conditions on the Gold Coast again, a week of onshore winds is annoying. Anyway, used the head cam this morning so have a couple of minutes of seriously crappy footage, but something is better than nothing. Only got through one battery pack and I broke the plastic bar the O'ring goes over inside Lisa foot. Surf was crap so I didn't mind leaving to be honest.

Here is the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDLsKM7vdPw

No real effort in the editing as footage is nothing special.

Ciao, Seb.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:41 AM
Cananzi

hey guys

any tips on getting the O ring over the footpegs? I can get them on but i just thought it would be good to here what others are doing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.