Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM
itsfishi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

shellharbour is just south of wollongong in n.s.w. yeah already got the missus lined up for camera ops. waves here er not to your standard but have been tempted to try this point break called cowries its off the rocks and sucks hard so could be awesome just reliability issues have kept me away from there as any failure could and probably would end in total carnage over the falls to rock crunching death, but when shes rebuilt thats the goal. havnt got any shots worth showing but when i do ill post, but rebuild is gonna take a while. cheers
Old 01-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Jimi Findrix

Hey Crew,
I just noticed that one of the deck bolt holes on the deck is cracked so I got some Palmers solar res with fibre in it and put some all around the deck holes.
That should toughen 'em up a bit.

I also accidently squeezed out some super epoxy (grabbed the wrong stuff) so I put some of that along the outside of the two main bracings under the lid.
Don't know if it will do anything but it can't hurt.
Can Ii???

Over and out.

JIMI
(Gero W. A.)
Old 01-16-2011, 10:31 PM
skowowski

HI Jimi,

Yeah, it is just a piece of rubber from century foam and rubber. It's about 2mm thick and costs less than 50 cents.

When I used neoprene washers I cracked (on two different decks) the spot where yours cracked. Super strength overnight epoxy will fix it. Just pack some silicone all around the underside of where it cracked to be safe.

I strengthened the support pillars which house the nut. One cracked and another actually snapped off. A plastic welder will fix that if it ever happens for about 10 bucks. Another advantage of separating the board is that you can change the nuts to stainless steel nuts as I actually threaded one of the original nuts a while back. Think rust may have been a factor also....

Ahhh.... the dramas of RC Surfing : )

Seb
Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 PM
itsfishi

jimi same thing happened to me too. a couple o times but not since i glassed the deck lid inside and out and glassed into place the rubber washers off roofing tech screws. also reinforced support pillars with glass. lid is super stiff and no more cracks and can crank the screws down super tight.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Cananzi

jimi

yeah i would love a maui board but im not to keen on the figurine and the size of the board . i would prefer something roughly the same size of an NQD but wider and on a 3s using a dude or dudette figurine . I would love to have a crack at building my own board so i could put a big lipo tray in it and have the lipo tray in front of the engine and down as low aspossible. also have a decklid with alot more deckbolts!!!

Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 AM
R a i n e r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Surfergirl!
I'll summarize the most important modifications I applied to my NQD-Lisa step by step to make it easier for you and others to save time, money and nerves. The following text is an advancement of an older version, which I posted approx. 40 pages ago, already:
1) Seal Lisa figure seams with glass fibre and epoxy.

2) Change RC to proportional system. Use a simple receiver (non-programmable) and put it in a balloon to make it water-tight.

3) Re-route antenna cable and attach it to her leg with an o-ring as shown on pics below. I don't like those vertical antenna tubes, which make Lisa look like a kid's toy. This way it the antenna looks (more or less) like a surf leash. ;-)

4) Exchange prop shaft to decent stainless steel type with 4mm. Glue in new shaft with a mixture (slush) of epoxy and glass shavings (tiny little pieces of glass). The result is a very tight, solid and indestructible mass - resistant to any vibration.

6) Take out original rudder and glue in a piece of aluminium tube with inner diameter 4mm into the drilling in the hull.
Cut away the original rudder shaft and drill a 4mm-hole into the rudder. Use an M4-stainless screw as rudder shaft instead. Put it through the 4mm hole in the rudder and fix it with stainless steel nuts and washers. Same with the rudder arm inside the little round compartment.

7) Drill and glue in new water in- and outlet tubes (brass, 5mm diameter)

8) Seal main hull seam with glass fibre and epoxy (= laminate seam)

9) Glue approx. 120-130g lead below the keel. I used epoxy thickened with micro balloons until it was like putty

10) Dismount everything from the deck and laminate 3 layers of glass onto the main deck lid to make it stiffer. Re-mount the little silver hooks to attach Lisa's O-rings.

11) Use another (thicker) rubber seal for the main deck lid (for Europeans: Tesa Moll "P"-profile works perfect!)

12) Replace all screws by stainless steel screws.

13) Add rubber or neoprene washers for the main deck lid screws

14) Put loads of grease into the little round rudder compartment:
- to keep away water-
- to grease the moving parts
- to grease the round lid / cover plate.

15) Put grease into shaft and rudder tubes

===> See how she rocks / surfs!!

Take care!
Rainer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qn38452.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1549268   Click image for larger version

Name:	sn40809.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1549269   Click image for larger version

Name:	ot48274.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1549270   Click image for larger version

Name:	lf95511.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1549271   Click image for larger version

Name:	it99865.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1549272  
Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Jimi Findrix

OK Guys,

I think I have found a major part of my recent problems.
My deck lid is not flat it is all warped out but I never realized that before.
It is lower at the holes and raised up in the middle and at the ends.
The warping is a result of a variety of bizarre experiments gone a bit wrong I think, it is quite an old deck off an earlier board.
That can't be too good for the sealing now can it?
Luckily I do have several other decks laying around so I will probably swap that over pretty quickly and try again.
Then again, I like to think that everything is fixable, so how do I fix this one then.
I might try a few more crazy experiments to see what I can do about it.

Sea ya.

JIMI
(Gero - W. A.)
Old 01-17-2011, 03:06 AM
Cananzi

jimi

Since i changed to my glassed deck itdoesn'tflex. I mixed up some fiberglass resin and i tipped a small layer in the sections under the lid where the ribs are( roughly 1-2mm deep). have a try and tell what you think , compare a stock lid and a glassed one. As i said earlyer i found with the stock lid when i tighten the lid tight it would start to flex the lid slightly up in the front and rear of the lid. The glassed lid seems to have stopped flexing.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:16 AM
skowowski

I don't even use supports on the inside of the deck lid and I never have any problems.

Fiberglassing the deck lid will just adds unnecessary weight to the top of the board which will effect the balance and make the board bounce around more.

I screw my lid on and push the deck lid flat on either end with my thumb. If you are using really thick or hard neoprene then it will be harder for the deck lid to close down. I use a 3mm hard on the bottom and a 5mm soft in the deck lid.

It's crazy how many problems you guys have.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:35 AM
R a i n e r

I also added 3 layers of glass to the outer surface of the deck lid.
Due to its very short lever arm to the board's center of gravity the negative effect on the self-rightening or balance is zero.
But the deck lid becomes WAY stiffer because the original material of the deck lid is rather soft(thermoplast).
I never had anyproblems withthe tightness of the deck lid.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:02 AM
skowowski

Rainer, you want all the weight at the bottom of the board, if you add 30g to the deck lid by fiberglassing it you will need to put a lot more down below to balance it out. I took 10g off lisa's legs and lowered her 1.5" and the change in her stability and balance was very dramatic.

My newer lipos are 6 cm taller than my old 7.2v and that threw the balance out by a huge margin, just ask cananzi, he experienced it also.

I'm totally for you to give advice on deck lids, but first you need to use a board with a stiffened deck lid, a non stiffened deck lid but with supports glued in, a completely un modified deck lid and in different conditions numerous times before you can say, fliberglassing a deck lid is absolutely necessary. Half the mods you told surfergirl are debatable or just not necessary. That list would have scared me off if I was just starting out.

I'm not trying to slam you mate,
Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 AM
R a i n e r

Skowowski, think - you shortened your Lisa's legsand the only reason for this improvement is her shorter arm of lever - not the weight reduction of 10g.

My listmentions just the basics. Which items of my list are unnecessary?
Make your own list, then you will find that you won't get along with less mods.

Take care
Rainer

Old 01-17-2011, 05:57 AM
Jimi Findrix

Sebski.

We all know, that crazy legrope mod idea thingie of Rainers would DEFINATELY NOT last 5 seconds in my environment and certainly not in yours either.

NOW HONESTLY, WOULD IT BRO?

But I suppose it must work fine for him.

IN A POND

LOL

JIMI
Old 01-17-2011, 06:13 AM
R a i n e r

Jimi, what's your point? "Seb" even said that my mods are too much (without having posted a comparably helpful "starter" list, yet.)
I'm curious to see your list.
... and what pond are you talking about?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jh16100.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1549352  
Old 01-17-2011, 06:24 AM
R a i n e r

P.S.: That "leg rope mod" holds perfectly - it sure would as well in"your very, very special conditions"
It only looks much better than your "kid's RC-toy-antenna" LOL
Ever thought of adding a little pink flag to the antenna...? ...with a little teddy on it...? ROFL

Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Jimi Findrix

Hi Rainer,

My point is that if your happy, that is cool and that is all that really matters.
You are having fun building your models the way you want to, just like everyone else on here and that is good.
Everyone is entitled to tie little pink bow ties on their Dudes or paint their Dudettes naked, I don't care.

But I just  don't think that particular legrope idea would be suitable here in my everyday conditions.
It would probably get ripped apart in the first  surf session.

Honestly mate,until you start running your model surfer flat out in real ocean waves for 2 to 4 hours on a regular  basis at numerous variety of locations and experience first hand the environment that Seb and I and others are operating in, then I don't think you could possibly understand why I am saying that.

However, I think your model surfboards are great .
You obviously really enjoy building them and have put a lot of thought and TLC into their construction.

Just havin' a laugh bro.
Please don't get upset with me over nothing..

RC Surfing is just great fun after all.

JIMI
(Geraldton W. A.)
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 AM
R a i n e r

Good to seeformulations turnmore constructive again. Actually, Iwas only having a laugh, too.

My point was to sum up some basics for a beginner, who has no chance to find all this info in meanwhile 67 thread-pages.
Iwould have been happy to have a list like this when I started.
Anyway, I'm stillopen forsome CONSTRUCTIVE critique.

Take care!
Rainer

P.S.: ...and by the way: 'Ever tested that leg-rope thing?You'd be surprised how good and tough it is as the water doesn't drag toohard on a thin wire like the antenna.
Add another loop or a simple knot of the antenna wirearound the o-ring and it becomes evenbombproof.
One way or the other:Re-routing the antenna is sure one of the necessary mods.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Jimi Findrix

Hey Guys,

I flattened out the base of that warped out deck.
Put a sheet of 120 grit wet and dry on a flat table top and sanded the bottomby rubbing the deck in a circular motion until it sat flat on the table.
Tub tested fine.
Hope to test at dawn.

JIMI
Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Lolocarrera

Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Lolocarrera

Old 01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Lolocarrera

Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 AM
R a i n e r

AWESOME PICS!!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Cananzi

guys

Man this forum can get out of control its a real turnoff of the sport. People need to try things before they make there opinion. Its want ever works for people in there surfer conditions.

about all this lid talk

For starters my
2s ran perfect was just two slow
3s has swaying...............notbecauseof a decklid i have already ruled this out due to tryin deferent tests on the boards
i have a completely defferent weight problem on my 3s surfer. my enlarged tray sits alot further back then anyones setup .so add that plus 146mm x50 x 26mm lipo and theres your swaying.

I have tryed my glassed decklid and a stock decklid and i have moresuccess with the glassed one. does that make the glassed lid wrong??
I have tryed the glassed lid on the 2s withabsolutelyno problems and also have tryed a stock one and itwasn'ta noticeable difference.The lid has hardly no ribbed supports underneathbecausei wanted the room so i left the ribs roughly 1mm high and put a 1-2mm layer of resin inbetween.

guys thanks for all the tips it helped alot but the ego alot of people in this room is unbelievable.
good luck everyone with your surfers
Il be moving on to a different hobby.

all the best for your future projects

cheers

Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Lolocarrera

My setup is as follows surfing after much testing.

1500kv motor in 3650
ESC 60 A
Lypos 4S 3000mah
plexiglass cover
hydrants
brass fin
helix Graupner K33

kyosho dude with the boards (the light) I'm 28 minutes of battery
with another NQD and Lisa have 23 minutes

sorry for my bad English
Old 01-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Lolocarrera

one other idea
my solution to surf the waves of more than 2m:

ankles springs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.