Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Jimi Findrix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Kite,

*** is that big fin shape in your photo?

JIMI
Old 02-07-2012, 07:55 AM
kitekook

JIMI

We have a growing seal population here in Southern California...I think some are taking notice....

I did not see it until I was reviewing the photos...I had a vid camera going as well...I couldn't tell what was what...have to dial in the zoom setting. First real time out with rig.

Glad I was only shin deep!

Maybe Melika saw it and wet her panties!...that would explain the moisture that I found
Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 AM
itsfishi

jimi yeah the tail mod works sick, im kinda annoyed at myself cause i had tried to do it ages ago after you had 1st done yours but didnt get it right obviously, and messed around trying heaps of other stuff to fix it and pretty much gave up untill now. i had pretty much retired her and was gonna build a custom, but ive been so busy and tight, that she was the only option for rc surfing, so i took the knitting needles off her and now i think she'll kick on for ever, that is she'll die in the surf not on the shelf.

unfortunately the swell is dropping here but still should be some nice waves about, will probably hit the same spot, tide will be perfect just after i drop the kids to school lol.
good thing about a point break is its so easy to get out(that is once you get out past the rocks) around the breaking waves.

have a good one

later
Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
kitekook

There is a thread on another forum that deals with the hand launch gliders...it is 3-4 times longer than this one....they broke it into part 1, then 2, and now part 3.

Maybe that is what is causing the problems here on this forum. ie: its just getting too long and the server is trying to load it all.....time to put an end to Part #1 and start
Part #2 Sticky.....moderators?????

Went out today to the same spot as yesterday...light rain so no photos....High Tide was awe some...all the action was right in front!

Melika got some real nice 2-3 foot waves. Best outing yet!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
itsfishi

kite i think it was the whole site was messed up, i had trouble getting into any forums.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:27 PM
itsfishi

another good sesh was had this morning at a different spot from yesterday called Cowries, was a guy there filming and hopefully he will send me some footage.
had a good wipout and she got washed up the rocks but no worries. biggest issue came when i was retrieving her in over the rocks which has gotta be timed right following in a wave over the rocks then grabbing her just before the wave washes back out and leaves her stranded high n dry, well i manged to rip her other arm off trying to grab her luckily i was able to grab both her and the arm or shed really be armless. cant wait to get this vid, hope this guy comes through, he also said hes keen to do more so could be awesome!

hope you all are ripping it up too

happy days

later
Old 02-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Jimi Findrix

Itsfishi,
I have brand new Kyosho Dude kits if your interested PM me with an offer.

Jimi
Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
Cananzi

hey boys

got out for a small 3pack sesh. shafts held up but i will definantly switch to a full flexi set up.want to run bigger prop but the semi flexi shafts cant handle it.

im running 1800kv, 4s ,37mm prop anything bigger the shaft dies. i guess im stuck with that for now.

jimi

you would have a whole garage full of kyoshos by now wouldnt you? lol
Old 02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
itsfishi

cana been trying to catch you, cant get on ya facebook page link from youtube not working. my flex has been pumping the last few days 4s 2700kv 30mm prop

later
Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 PM
YPC

Hi itsfishi and Cananzi

I reckon props 30mm and smaller with a 1.4 box ratio are the better choice.
27 mm - would me the ideal
Most of the production props have a box ratio of 1.4 ie to calculate the props pitch ( prop diameter X 1.4)

I would want a prop of 25mm X 1.6 = 40mm pitch ( equal pitch to a 29mm diameter prop) that would present less torque, load and lift- give better acceleration and more top end as you will rev out higher.

Going bigger on the props - will put 'big load ' on the shaft and load on the battery packs, as well as far more 'TORQUE' ( rolls the board to the right)
You can see this in some JUMPS. If the power is kept on as the board leaves the wave - the board will roll to the right.
You can also get 'paddle steer' from a prop- ( pulls the aft part of the vessel to the left, steering it right) which is the effect the prop has in the water due to its rotation, this can be felt by one having to correct the steering 'more' left at high speeds.
If you combine the torque ( board rolling to the right) and the paddle effect correction ( rudder to the left) you end up with a more unstable - power sapping vessel.

Prop selection is critical - if you find the smaller props tends to cavitate on acceleration - add some CUP ( bend the tips)

Itsfishi - you need to make a 'Flexi rider' like my YPC surfer to handle the conditions you enjoy.

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 PM
itsfishi

dominic thats good timing, i just ordered a 27mm prop last night to try. i have been running 30mm.

im quite interested in your flexi figure, can you do a how to on making one. i just have reservations about it being stiff enough to right my heavy board. it wasnt actually the conditions that broke her but me grabbing her that snapped it off but its all wrapped up now in glass clothe and epoxy, she'll be at it again in the morning.

had alot of people interested in getting a board today, a friend of mine was actually out in the line up where i was surfing her and said every single person out there wanted one and said i should be selling em, which matched the crowd in the parking lot. maybe you should send me a proto and get you some interest going down here, not to be rude but that is they are any good which i suspect they will be anyway. would be happy to give it a good thrashing.

waiting for the vid from this guy hope it comes thru soon he said a couple of days, just hanging to see what he got. i know i got some nice rides, hope he got em.

later dudes
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 PM
YPC

Hi Itsfishi

You will find the 27mm give you better performance 'overall' and more 'run' time - load=more power.

Should be even smoother on the flat out (less bounce) and punchier out the hole ( better acceleration) - let me know if my predictions are right.......

The flex - rider - is way rigid enough too right the board - it is very light in itself and 95 % buoyant. Even though your board is heavier, that will not effect the ability of the flex -rider righting it. In sense, the board rotates around a buoyancy axis - so the overall weight has very little to do with it, it only requires the board to be rotated from flat down (upside down) to just past vertically ( on its side) after that the already low CG of your board does the rest.

The manufacturing process of the flex rider simply explained is a 'skeleton' made up of 3 layers bi-axial cloth - picture a silhouette of a surfer - set in a 3D pose. Both sides of the flat ,posed skeleton are then laminated with 10mm neoprene ( making it 24mm thick) his head is laminated either side with polystyrene and shaped/painted. Feet have the Velcro locking system.

I will make a short video of his 'flexibility' - He certainly does not present the colorful character of what the other surfers do - but - I am more of a 'functional designer' and rather want a product that has less chance of breakage.

Here's a question - what does your Surfer weigh ?

The flex-rider = weighs all of 75g's all in - stands 250 mm in a crouched position and has a stance 220 mm wide. The lighter the rider , the less outward centrifugal force it will have, in the sharp turns.

The question of whether our board works or not - hey - I'm as interested as you are to know .................................................L OL - even my kids ask every day - Has the parcel arrived yet DAD ?......................................

I have no doubt that there will be plenty who would love the rc surfer - there seems to be much happening in the line of availability.

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58761.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1724549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37378.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	1724550  
Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Hughengland

Aloha from Maui,

I find it interesting that so many of the folks on this blog are keen on having more rc surfers in their breaks.
Yes everyone says they want one BUT my feeling is that if rc surfers are readily available for sale, it may just cause problems with owners not using them responsibly by running into surfers & swimmers - maybe even having them banned in some areas.
Personally I feel that if someone wants to take the time, effort and expense of making their own rc surfer - that person would hopefully be more aware of the fragile situation out there using a motorized craft.
Yes I want the sport to advance but I sure do not look forward to some idiot spoiling it all for the rest of us.

Hugh
Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 AM
itsfishi

dominic looking forward to trying the smaller prop and seeing how it goes, i had thought that a larger diameter prop would increase acceleration and decrease top end and a smaller prop the opposite, so it will be good to try. its also on a slow boat from china, probably in a long line of orders to be filled after the chinese holiday period.

my surfer weighs in at between 2050 and 2200 grams depending on battery setup used so pretty heavy, not sure what figure weighs on its own as i dont want to pull it off the deck its a pain in the a@s she stands 265mm crouching and stance heel to heel is 125mm

what is biaxial cloth not sure what you mean is that like fibreglass cloth or something else

hi hugh hows it going in hawai, i agree with what your saying but more people input etc more advance in what we have to work with. anyone can go buy a rc plane and crash it into someone down the park and i guess thats why planes are banned from public parks here. its a full on hobby 5 or so packs will sort out anyone serious once they realise that it takes alot of effort to keep one running, ive only ever seen 1 other board in the water and that was a stock nqd that i found out today is dead and gone(wish hed kept it i could use an arm)but it would be nice to share this experience with others in person not just online. its like i nearly always had more fun skating or surfing or snowboarding with friends not alone. also the price keeps only the serious into it so i guess im all for readily available surfers just like planes helis cars etc and i dont htink it would spoil it for us just make it better, i hope anyway.

later
Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 AM
YPC

Hey Hugh

If they ban RC Surfers where you are - move back to AFRICA - you know - we have rules here - you just dont have to abide by them..................................

Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 AM
YPC

Hey Hugh

If they ban RC Surfers where you are - move back to AFRICA - you know - we have rules here - you just dont have to abide by them..................................

Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 AM
Cananzi

fish

my custom boards are3kg with lipo

ypc

Ihear ya on the thoery side of prop selections...I personally with my boards have had much more success with slower kv motors and bigger props so thats why i have stuck with them, im using 35-42mm...I like my boards to be really responsive from take off to midrange.. amps are high but my run times are still long. motor temps stay around 40degrees so theres still room.

since changing from 150mm semi flex to 100mm semi flex the shafts are failing. had no problems with the 150mm shafts. future boards i will definantly go a longer semi flex shaft or a full flexi.

kite

good to see your board is running well!!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 AM
jefahead

Hi guys,

wow the forum is really taking up on RC Surf, I am glad to seeyour boards in actionand some brillant ideas on the way.

I am still busy with my work and had no time to do anything recently, BTH I am in Angola, not far from you Dominic! One day I will go furher south on vaccation time for a surf, I used to surf in Congo and swell was great....

Attached pictures of the usual mess in my workshop, and a first carbon attempt!

Cheers to all

Clement (bedart on the french forum)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17831.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	1724569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb43822.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	1724570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf34489.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	1724571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17831.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	1724572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb43822.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	1724573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf34489.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	1724574  
Old 02-08-2012, 03:45 AM
YPC

Hi Cananzi

Thanks for the details- in your case - with a 1800kv motor you 'would' need the bigger size prop and 4s pack to get the acceleration and speed.
It's a powerful motor - and the board weighs 3 kg's - placing big load on the flex shaft.
How do you measure the running temperature of the motor ?

For a exercise - I researched these figures to get a relative 'average' of all relevant factors.

Some comparative combinations of speed -weight and pricing - and - for those who are still 'not sure' about the motor/battery/prop relationship

1800 kv X 14. 8 = 26640 rpm x 32 mm prop ( 45 mm pitch) = 72 km/h

Cost 1800kv - 120A ESC - 4s 5000mAh = 1300 g's = $ 170

Used in a 3 kg board set up ???? of size

A higher kv motor with a smaller prop will have less load and less drag -less torque

2200 kv X 14.8 x 27 mm prop (38 mm pitch) = 74 km/h

2200 kv - 100A ESC - 4s 5000 mAh = 1050 g's = $ 120

Used in a 2.2 kg board set up - 650 mm long

Im going with a 4800 kv motor and 7.4 v (2s 2p) set up. set up only weighing 1200 g's

4800kv x 7.4 v x 25 mm prop (35mm pitch) = 75 km/h

4800 kv - 50 A ESC - 2s 2p (parallel) 4400 mAh = 410 g's = $ 70

to be used in a 1.2 kg board set up - 600 mm long

What is also a very 'relevant consideration' not discussed, is the FREE Wheel the motor has when 'off the power' I would want it to be as free as possible so as to achieve 'minimum drag. Coming off the throttle and having a prop stall ,will slow you down,and pitch the nose of the board

The lower kv motors seem to have more drag and the bigger prop will present more surface area - more drag.

All just 'good old ' food for thought - relative to what will work best for each board and rider.

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Old 02-08-2012, 03:54 AM
YPC

Clement

Work of art !!!!!!!

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Old 02-08-2012, 04:43 AM
Cananzi

ypc

yeah its definantly horses for courses. my other custom board im running 1500kv 3s 42mm prop and getting great results.

Im just using a infered monitor and also have a heat guage that you strap to the motor and it records the highest temp but i dont use that much. i found only a variance of 5degrees whilst its running to when finishing run then read straight away. so poping the lid and using the point and shoot infered is great easy way.

fish

definantly hit me up for a sesh if your up this way!! rc surfing spots are bit dead atm but im sure will can find somewhere.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
itsfishi

dominic i like the way you work things out. have you you worked out how many amps you'll pull on that 4800kv 2s 25mm setup, i could be wrong but i reckon it will be over 50. but thats probably just when accellerating hard. just thoughts.

as for run times mine are pretty crap
3s 3000mah 40-50c i get right on 10 mins with 30mm prop
15mins on 5000mah 3s
4s 4400mah around 12 mins but i only timed when the lipos were new should be a little better now they have had a few cycles.
off the rocks i only dare stay out for 10 mins on the 4s as it takes some time negotiating back in.
ill see how the 27mm goes when it gets here.

cana was trying to get on your facebook page but it wouldnt link from youtube and couldnt find it doing a search is it still up was gonna tell people to check it if they wanted a board.

later
Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Cananzi

fish

Ihad to stop building because of my realestate so i have unpublished/deactivatedthe page for now untill i can get back up n running.I had 3 boards to build to :-( . i have my32inch board just sitting there also thatshalf way there,bummer. might look into epoxy instead if its less odour...thing is i can even spray the boards becuase ppl complain about that also.

just been for a real surf and now im going back to run some packs found a good lil spot ....

run out of work lastweek!! so have plenty of time for a bit of funatm lol:-)

Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
YPC

Hi itsfishi

Who knows ???? - there are no specs from the manufacturer although a user reported some tests he reckoned he had done.

I tested this with 7.4v 1800 mah lipos and a 25 amp speed control and it rocked! super fast and consistand power.

I got 50 watts at 8.2 amps and lots of thrust.

I am fitting a 60A ESC and feel that with the light load/small prop, it will be fine.

I have designed my build around the Race ECO FE's - they are the smaller electric boats weighing around 1- 1.2 kg's - this particular motor is rated for them and the ESc's are around 50A's

I am going to run 2 X 7.4v (2200 mAh) packs in parallel - this doubles up the mAh (4400 mAh) and also softens the actual Amp draw on each battery by half - in effect - improving the Run Time effectively.
I have also set up DUAL water intakes - so that the motor and ESC have 'independent cooling' - hoping to maximize the cooling effect, which also helps with 'run time'

10 minutes, for most of what I have heard, seems to be the benchmark. I am hoping that with our design/set up I can improve on that.

Bottom line - LOAD on a motor - be it GAS or ELECTRIC - is a POWER SAPPER- the heavier the load/more the drag - greater the DRAW exponential.

To a real degree - looking at the weight comparison figures of the motors.ESC's and batteries - its a mine field of numbers - but there is some genuine thought required as to the expected efficiency increase hoped for - considering the increase in actual weight as one steps up.

Considering the calculation I set out above - each combination being different - yet with a very = speed outcome - that's just the 'numbers' - now add to that the LOAD Factors - the Bigger - Heavier - the board - MORE LOAD- the more ENERGY it will require. Kind of like a heavy big bore car as apposed to a light small bore. Lighter - more fuel efficient.

At the moment it seems you are getting about 3 minutes for every 1000 mAh - It will be interesting to see how that improves with a smaller prop - then you could look at trying a parallel battery set up - see where how you can make the board lighter. Remember - every time we ' accelerate, we draw big power - like stop/starting a car - uses plenty gas - so the lighter the board - the lessor the pitch of the prop - the smaller the diameter of the prop - the more efficient it should become.

If I can get 20 minutes of general surf ridding " pie in the sky" that would be great - That,s my goal !

If I do have a FACE BOOK page " I think my 12 year old daughter posted one for me a while back " I would not rate it to anyone. As for the board - well - we'll first have to see if all that I say and think makes any real sense in the water. Talks cheap ....................

If all does go well - well be sure to have them available and appreciate the 'heads up'

What do you call an individual hooked up on YouTube - Twiitter and face book .................................................. ....... "YOU TWIT FACE" - got 4 kids - got to love it..........LOL

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Old 02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
itsfishi

dom as i thought you have done some figures. my 4s setup is actually 4 x 2s 2200mah bats parrallel then series connected, does that make it a 4s 4p setup thats how i run 3 batts in the back and one up front, even with this setup the batts are coming out quite warm. i actually have a little room to moove the batts at the back and front to get the balance right. was maybe even gonna try 6 batts to run 6600mah for run time but that would throw the balnce right out. yeah im not real happy with 12 mins outa 4400 4s but like i said i havnt timed it since ive had afew cycles through them. 15-20 would be nice.

cana ive been having too much much fun and gotta knuckle down and do some work. im pretty much keen to chuck lisa out anywhere after the last few days so find some good spots for when im up there we can hopefully get some good vid. my missus is worried im going to get washed out and killed like a rock fisherman, gotta stop telling her what im doing lol.

later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.