Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 AM
dreadrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

G'day all,
Cheers for all the help with regards to the electrics/motor selection etc.
Ok so it's shaped (and yes with tail rocker in there too), glassed now i've got to make some decisions on the running gear side of it.
The poor little thing had a run in with an angry belt sander early in the piece (my bad i was cheating ..lol) so it shrank somewhat a result, it's now 710 long x 180wide x 40mm thick, oh well it's the first of...............?? haha yes the addiction is already kicking in i want to start another without the mistakes i've made in this one..lol. I've gone with a fairly hefty v in the bottom also so it should be interesting to see how it goes when i eventualy get it finished. No pod/keel yet, the board weighs in at 436gms. Back to the self righting formula i'm down to 1.6kg..cool
I've come up against the limitations of the uv cure resign, no working at night....doh, oh well need to sleep some time i guess.

John, when making the hatch cover you say to use cellephane, is that the harder crinkly sounding stuff or just lunch wrap, cling/seran/glad wrap?
Cheers Nigel
Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Cananzi

dread

baking paper works also if you cant getcellephane.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM
YPC

Hi Nigel

Great Guns ! - sounds like you are going strong !

You will benefit by the 'small mishap' with the belt sander - that 'unintentional' run in will save you plenty of AMPS being drawn - reducing your estimated weight by almost an entire 1kilogram - will make a huge difference. Is amazing how the overall required weight is reduced so exponentially in respect to the small percentage of size reduction - only about 10% less in size.

Your board is much the same size as mine now - AND - my gear arrived today Yeh ! - SO - I have a few pics to share with you as I install every thing.

I am running the 3900 kv motor ( which is more likely a 3600 kv) with paralleled 11.1 V batteries total of 4400mAh - taking the usual percentage of loss into account - it will most probably produce 35000 rpm - within a safe limit. The reason I am aiming for the highest 'safe rpm' is that I like to run as smaller prop as possible - 25 - 27 mm - this reduces the 'ROTATIONAL' torque, which otherwise tends to roll the board over in a clockwise rotation. Obviously, when the prop size is reduced - the pitch is reduced - so the speed is reduced - HENCE - the desired higher rpm. If you go for a lower kv motor = you need the bigger 'diameter' prop to realize the speed = increased torque. ( or higher V batteries)

Another added advantage when maintaining a 'lighter set up' is that you can run a smaller prop - If the board gets to heavy the smaller prop will lose its efficiency i.e. it will slip/cavitate more and not work that well in driving the board forward. That is why most boards in the 2.2kg plus range work best with the 30mm prop. (bigger blade face) The nylon props also 'flex' a whole lot more when driving a heavier board - even brake a blade every so often - so the metal props are then needed requiring balancing and sharpening.

I run a solid shaft (detail pics in previous posts) The thrust line is straight to the motor so no flex shaft is needed - it is a 3mm s/s shaft so some small degree of flex will be adequate to absorb the running vibration of it all.

With regards to your hatch cover - if it is flat - I simply use a sheet of glass to lay it up on - a few coats of release polish - lay down a few layers of 400 g woven cloth - the texture makes it look like a genuine non-slip pad. machine to required size/ shape.
The 'rim' around the hatch cover deflects the water pressure entering 'under the hatch' when penetrating a wave or landing. I managed to source some very nice 'nylon' knurled nuts - light and rustproof.

Decisions - decisions - decisions .......................................LOL

Keep it going - it will soon be getting wet !

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

PS - the reason I prefer batteries in parallel -l is that each battery will only 'see' half of the AMPS been drawn - i.e. if your motor draws 60 amps - instead of a single 4400 mAh battery enduring a draw of 60 amps and heating up sooner - the two batteries each only see 30 amps - so STAY COOLER LONGER - more efficient - longer run time and longer lasting battery life. You can also use lower C rated batteries this way.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98534.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1743478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89977.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1743479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74641.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1743480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11997.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1743481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45798.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1743482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29436.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1743483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21008.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1743484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv65869.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1743485  

Old 03-27-2012, 07:46 PM
jocktime

Me and John hit the bay Sunday afternoon good fun.
Long runtimes, Jock

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0BnVkqoWjA[/youtube]
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Nice Sesh Jock.

Hey. By the way, I talked with John Last night
and U.S. Bro-Down #2 has been scheduled for May 19th & 20th - 2012
in north county San Diego. Get a plane seat next to John...
Kite (Tom), Curlz and Maui J, Will try to dial in a location that will work best for all.
ALL THOSE PLANNING TO ATTEND- CHIME IN ON THE LOCATION OF CHOICE.

U.S. Bro-Down Event #2 San Diego May 19-20th 2012
Attendance List as of 3-27-12

Maui John - Added 3-26-12
Curly - Added 3-26-12
Kitekook - Added 3-26-12

What Say Sail D, Justin and All.
Event #3 will Be In L.A. County For Casey (Surf ink) And San Pedro John.
To Not have to travel so far for #1 - #2. They Will Decide Date / Location

This will be a good time, prior to the summer flock prior to "schools out for summer" crowds. Alice Still Rocks...

Curlz
Old 03-27-2012, 09:37 PM
YPC

Hi Jock

Very inspiring ! Great break ! Well ridden

Thanks for that !

Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 AM
jcrave

Maui guys, you must have to be our inspiration! congratulations!

My new board has been designed following your photos and videos, it's done, but now I'm lacking power. 28mm 3700kv motor on 7.4v with a total weight of about 2.5kg. Tried to go 11.1v yesterday but my coupler kept blowing out. but as soon as I manage to make it work I'll have some speed then!

For now some first video in really small river surf... lol

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WInt3TpoYdE[/youtube]
Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 AM
kitekook

Red Mon looks good...
Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Hughengland

Now I know what I really want - a place that I can surf in AND back out.

Here's a shot from filming yesterday - see Maui John standing between the light and the guy in the green shirt.
Yes John is soon to be a movie maker toooo - we look at the cameras & dream that we could use to film out little rc surfers.....

Aloha from Hollywood Maui

Name:	Ig12763.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	1743835  
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Hughengland

correction make that ... a guy in a blue shirt....

Aloha
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Hughengland

this is how my rc surfer feels

Name:	Qo39290.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	1744095  
Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 AM
jcrave

Good first "real waves" test early this morning! After fixing my flexible rubber coupler with a better hose, it's now bomb proof!

Went out with two 2250 3s 25c in paralel, 4400mah total, and it went much better than previous testing. have to work on propeller sizes an pitch.

The board worked pretty much as I was hoping for, much more stable than the previous small and narrow board I made (being narrow made it much more challenging, I loved it).
With that said, it was soooo easy to surf! Managed to do a perfect air, landing smoothly in front of the wave, on a good lefty I got. the waves were pretty good outside, but I didn't have the balls to go further from the inside, yet! so, mostly 2 foot faces, but that lefty made all the work worth it!!!

surfing with the narrow board gave me the necessary skills to grab a hold of how these vehicles surf, so stay tuned for some great footage soon! maybe today yet....
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 AM
K-H2o

A Cool BuildingTip - Finding leaks Yesterday I took my new model down to the beach to leak test it in the water. It wasn't even close. had about 5 oz of water inside. It is really hard to figure out where it is coming from ? I guess I am a dummy for not figuring this out before but had the idea to take out the prop shaft and run a compressed air nossleintothe stuffing boxfromthe outside. It is easy to hear or feel where the air is coming out and where theleak is.
Jock- Nice waves!! I hope I get to go next time.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 AM
jcrave

Only two waves now in the afternoon, no video... got one of the wires in my esc come loose

the waves were just perfect! Now I'm gonna be dreaming about the first wave, it was perfect I must say! More to come, more to come...
Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Justin-san

Curly,

I'm open, Oceanside is cool, so is HB or Seal if you guys want to go North. I'm geographically right in the middle.

Great video you guys!!!

Justin-san
Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Justin-san

Curly,

I'm open, Oceanside is cool, so is HB or Seal if you guys want to go North. I'm geographically right in the middle.

Great video you guys!!!

Justin-san
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Cool Justin,

As You Are A Big Part Of The So. Cal Region Crew We Will ALL Plan For What Will Work Best For All.
My Thought is Kite, Is A Big Part, And Missed The Stoke on #1, So #2 Will Be In His Backyard
To Simplify. I'm Glad you're in again. Maui John is getting A Plane Ticket. More Fun Ahead.

Discussion on #2 US Bro-Down Is Encouraged ....
Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 PM
kitekook

I am into going where ever the waves are the BEST! I do not mind the drive to LA...I have asked for that weekend off...I'd really like to get into some nice peeling waves instead of the broken up mess we have had lately.

edit: I wish Surfline.com had an archive of the forcasts you could look at to get a feeling of past conditions for a given period of time.. I kitesurf/windsurf has that feature making it easier to plan a trip.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:31 AM
dreadrock

Howdy, sweet vids and great surfing guys, making me seriously jelouse, oh well soon enough.
Well i havent had a chance to get any more done, works been flat out. All i've managed is a couple of pix..lol
another mistake i made was not cutting all the black ink out from the cloth..haha, it's never mattered before a i've always painted after but i'm a little dissapointed as a clear finish would have looked cool, oh well painting as usual now..lol
I'll be realy interested to see how your board goes there Dom, i've got basicaly the same running gear here (spares from the little nqd jet) so i might even use them in here?? And go 4s in the next build, Thanks guys for the feed back/advice on the running gear also.
cheers nigel

Name:	Ig12317.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	1744563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75427.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1744564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71675.jpg
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1744565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24771.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1744566  
Old 03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
kitekook

Hey all,

Been in build mode for a week now...Tinas' new board is ready, self rights well, just waiting for the shoe gooo to set...24 hours is best...can I wait this long???? Its got all the new improvements, not sure of the weight...gotta go to Fed ex Office later for that.

Took Melika out at WindanSea...waves were fair with a couple good rides...just used one battery so far(I'm off all day...bought 4 more so now I have eight charged and ready to go!!)

Stopped for lunch and here I am...Arron posted a new picture from last week on the RcSurfDivas Facebook page...

Yeah!! Aaron has been holding out on us with the photos.

Can I wait?
whats the worst to happen??
Servo move around a bit???

...gonna give it four more hours
See you in the Surf...
Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM
jcrave

Nice pic kitekook! Love the hair!

Here's some footage from today, only the last waves are better as my friend was surfing it for the first part of the video, he's still getting used to this rc surfing thing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLO0Z1HZqT4[/youtube]
Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
kitekook

Jcrave

Red mon surfs real nice. Is that the beach where that monster wave comes to visit?

I took Tina and her new board to the pond for preliminary runs(me being responsible) Tina just wanted to go right to the Surf.

Well....Its back! the dreaded motor hop.[:@]

Runs real nice to about half throttle...when I gun it...it just about flies out of the water!

The pronounced Vee hull is very nice. Tina can lean into her turns much more than before. Should make for even better photos. She gives off nice rooster tail on the turns....he,he,he...can't wait to spray boogie border friends at Marine Street.

Overall weight is still unknown...feels lighter??? edit: 9.5 lbs 4.3 kg (maybe lighter when I finish sanding...not much lighter I expect)
COG 13.5 in from aft.....42%
thrust angle:below and forward of COG
straight 15 deg Vee out the back

I think I did everything we discussed....
I am going back to JIMI Rocker and put an end to the motor hop. It was worth a try to do without...I know JIMI Rocker WORKS. everything is a compromise in life...a little drag...unavoidable at this time....motor hop....completely unacceptable!

I am going to see if I can find the minimum amount to do the job, multiple trips to the pond is the weekend forecast.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Kite,

Bro Down Event #2 looks good for North County. Lets shoot for Oceanside Pier on May Sat 19 - Sun 20.
It's a lot easier to plan the event if we have a decided spot. We can always look at Sun 20
To Tweek it a bit, If Conditions Are not What we want...

I recall O.S. Pier north side has beach front parking / amenities / Tables / ? I haven't surfed there for some time.
As Surfers, You Know We never can predict the spot that's going off. For #1 We Got Lucky For Sure.

Maybe #3 Should Be Orange County, #4 Could be LA County.
Once we all decide, This could be the calendar / spots for years to come.

Heck, Its a Good Start, And Every Event Will be more fun with better planning.

U.S. Bro Down #2
Date: May 19 - 20, 2012
Time: Dawn Patrol - ???

Attendance List As Of 3-30-2012

Maui John - Added 3-26-12
Curly - Added 3-26-12
Kitekook - Added 3-26-12
Justin - Added 3-30-2012
Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 PM
YPC

Hi Kite and all others following my V bottom theories !

I owe you guys a "BIG APOLOGY" - really sorry............................................

I simply ( stupidly) overlooked a very obvious matter that has a huge impact on the running angle of the hull.

I have spent the past 2 days figuring it our as my hull jumped higher than what it would go forward................. huge disappointment.........................

THE REASON !!!!!

I have tried to sketch the difference between the pods drive angle and the V drive angle in the attached drawing - in essence 'the THRUST ANGLE is greatly increased with the V HULL.
When looking at the drawing - visualize the running surface of the two hulls. If you can tilt your PC screen for the V hull's ( blue) running surface to be level with the horizon - you will see how the thrust angle is increased - EVEN MORE..................................not good at all !!!!!

I have cut the hull out of my board - rebuilt it " still with a 15 degree V up front - tapering back to a 5 degree v at the tail.
Fitted the POD.................LOL........................... ... pod will allow me to install the motor so to achieve a drive shaft thrust line " parallel to the running surface of the board. 0 degrees.

I want to see if this will have the board run 'flat'

We live and learn !!!!! ..................... truly sorry for what it has cost any of you .......................

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Name:	Tr51217.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1744882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87218.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1744883  
Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 PM
kitekook

YPC
Don't beat yourself up about it.
The journey is most of the fun!....[&:]ok,ok...the Surfing part is most of the fun.

It was exciting to try something new...in the end we will look back at the mistakes and failures as those precious first steps...Maui crew has built how many models to get where they are???? They truly have set the bar high, both in performance and cosmetically...can't figure out how Maui John and Jock get those cute little pods...

I really like the 15 deg Vee out the back and don't want to give it up.

The 5 deg you are trying is more in line with what my previous boards have.
I do not think that Kyosho put that negative rocker in there for the heck of it, probably hated doing it, but, did make the board work well ...

it took a White-bellied Sea Eagle to spot it...

I didn't notice it and I had four of them, but I named it:

"JIMI Rocker" don't leave shore without it!

We are lucky to have this forum to bounce ideas off each other, something good is bound to come of it.
We can expect to stumble some as we push the limits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.