Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 03:37 AM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Thanks Kite

Trying something different - leads to discovering a new path ! we have to enjoy the journey to travel it - I sure do !

I do feel that the 'reverse rocker' is simply countering a inherent design problem. I am in search of 'the problem' - it will just make things that much better.
I now strongly feel ( been affirmed by the recent results) that the direct THRUST angle - strongly effects the drive attitudes - as long as the thrust is upward - it will have an effect - be it up or down, depending on the CG relationship.

I am now modifying my board with the drive shaft absolutely level with ( horizontal) to the running surface - see where that leads us.

The 15 degree of my V upfront will still benefit the board through the chop - the 5 degrees aft will stabilize the board better - I found that with the 15 degrees throughout - the board was unstable at speed and tended to spin out in the turn - as the board cambered in the turn, the rudder tilts and in essence becomes a aileron to a degree - lifting the tail out of the water.

Onward we go !................................................. .....................

Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Old 03-31-2012, 12:24 PM
YPC

Saturday evening 10 pm - Finally got all the necessarily changes complete - rebuilt the hull completely

Drive shaft is now absolutely parallel to the running surface of the board. ZERO DEGREE ANGLE OF THRUST !!!! Motor fits into the POD entirely !

Eager to see the running attitude and behavior of the board in the morning - testing outback ( flat water first) - hold thumbs ...............................

Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75886.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1745087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76107.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1745088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23078.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1745089  
Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM
trippergreenfeet

Hi RC Surfer crew

Finally made it to the end of this great thread, what a trail of innovation I see here.

I've been aware of the RC surfer for 10 years or so but never mananged to pick one up and being a surfer into RC already I guess it was inevitiable that Iwould eventually get one. Went into my LHS the other day, he was off loading the NQD for $75 so Ifigured I couldn't loose. Of course it leaked, poor electrics, bad TX....all the things I expected. No biggy, $150 later with new electrics, 2.4 TX and some TLC it rocks. I did break the crappy plastic fin off on the reef but I have shaped a new one out of perspex and with a little bit of jiggery with a cut down 450 heli 5mm main shaft it's better then ever, just need to reduce the size a bit as now it's got too much bite at speed.

Now the best part is right before this post I ordered the Maui Surfer how to DVD, this is going to be a blast. I've had plenty of experience in shaping boards and I'm also a test pilot for a small custom RC Heli company so I'm attuned to the design/testing/failure/retesting strategy to get things on track.

I have access to some handy machinery as well, CNC, milling & lathes so making custom gear to suit is real easy.I have got some ideas already floating around the vacuous space in my head, not reinventing the wheel but will hopefully work out well. Going to call on some expertise from an old master shaper mate of mine as well to get the finished product I'm after.

Don't hold ya breath as this won't be a quick build, work takes me away so my time at home has to be spread between family and all the other fun stuff I like to pursue but it will happen....sounds like a bloody shampoo add, ha, ha.

I gotta say the NQD has got the attention of the local crew, been taking it out on the right hand ledge behind my house and out come the camera's from all and sundry. Plus another upside I have found is that even my wife and kids are loving it, they are not keen on my helis and planes but this little number has them all wanting a go. I can see it now that I'm going to have to shape one for each member of the family other wise I'll be waiting in the wings to get a turn.

Here's to sharing the stoke of these little shredders

Cheers

Fez

P.S. the stoke spreads fast, a mate took one look at mine in the water and went straight to theLHS and picked one up for himself.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:12 PM
kitekook

Just got back from the pond......

I knew that 7mm worked from Melikas' board, and I put 9mm in Tinas' last board...so I decided to use 5mm, the amount Koyosho put into their boards(measured at rudder hole)...5mm of JIMI Rocker and the motor hop is a thing of the past!

The amount did not need to be scaled up for my 32 inch board. Question now is do I sand thru the glass and try 4mm???

Whats the harm I guess? It was scrap glass cloth and a little UV resin.

Dom, at top speeds I did not notice any instability with the 15 deg Vee hull...maybe because my model is heavier? but I likes!

I am so glad I got up super early this morning to work on the board before I had to leave for work.
We can go Surfing Monday!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 PM
K-H2o

Kite- I love the way your Diva's hair looks. In the vid a bit back it's totally realisticswinging it the turns. Good on ya !!

Leak Test- (Previously discribed# 4237) Use caution on the PSI, Whenyour board blows up like a balloon it must be sealed ?

Welcome- Tripper

Aloha, Karl
Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 AM
YPC

Hi Kite

Very pleased to hear that you have sorted your new board out........................

I would love to see some close up pics of your hull's -/V/pod/drives haft/JIMI ROCKER arrangement.

I to had a degree ( excuse the pun) of 'success' with my tests this morning - with the drive shaft set parallel the 'wild jumping' is gone and the board is far more stable - however- there is still a small degree of hop out of the water at higher speeds.

The board is very light (1.5 kg) - so this could be a consideration - BUT - ...hear it comes !!!!!!!! ........................ " I WILL FIRST TRY SOME 'JIMI ROCKER'.............LOL
I will rather have some small drag - than dead weight.

Speaking with some of the'older' rc boating guys who used to race FSRV ( inboard 'submerged' propped boats/ could not adjust the thrust angle negative) - they all used to add a measured degree of 'wedge' to the trailing edge of their boats to smooth it out. Obviously - the least - the better.

On a SAD note - in my eagerness - I did not plug an existing water outlet hole - eventually flooded the compartment - and- it seems like another 'WATER PROOF' ESC is done........................... have a spare !

Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 AM
jefahead

Hi guys,

Here isthe molded glass teint board, not finished yet but close to.I still have to trim andpolish the hull so it will shine.

YPC I like your work! for me I solved the bounce issueby front mounting the battery and dead weighting thegap underneath the battery, I made a mold to cast the lead. Its not performace oriented but it surf well, the weight help to self right in aflash, tojump with ballance and make it easy tocatch wave. On the other hand the added weightreduce theacceleration, top speed, battery and motorlife my little 2845 is being runned hard. Icould hardlyfit larger engine as the hatch is flat.

This set up is the same I used in my board 3 with the green frog, I was happy with it so made the same on the glass teint with smalls improvements to lower the CG even more.

Let me know your thought.

I will post more pict on the french forum this week.

@+

Name:	Wu61337.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	1745360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32942.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	1745361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68565.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	1745362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20606.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	1745363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61337.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	1745364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32942.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	1745365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68565.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	1745366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20606.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	1745367  

Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 AM
kitekook

Jefahead

nice board. I really like your molding skills.

if I didn't love working with Surfboard foam so much I would ask you to teach me how to do that...a trip to France would be real cooooool!

You mention a French forum??? will you post a link? thanks.

Keep up the good work.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 AM
kitekook

K-H2o

Thanks for noticing Tinas' hair...like most girls, she is very proud of her hair...lol

The hair is 40lb Specrta fishing line. About 250m worth! a little epoxy and three hours later....

Best part is that it does not soak up water so it does not get heavy when wet like real/doll hair does.

I used 'Power Pro' with Melika...it turned out to be too stiff...much better results with Tina and PE Specrta bought off eBay shipped from China.

Cheap and comes in different colors...good combo...if they could only ship faster to USA. I am waiting on some white so I can cut off Melikas' head and give her an ultimate makeover.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 AM
YPC

Hi Jefahead - good to make your acquaintance !

Its so great to be able to chat and share all that we do with others 'all around the world' - it blows my mind !....................just amazing !

Thanks for the thumbs up with my work - rc boat design and building is my thing - been doing it most of my life - SIMPLY LOVE IT !!!!!!

The rc Surfer is very new to me - having great fun figuring it all out - huge learning curve - I think you said it 'all' in a nut shell - it should be all about - HOW WELL IT SURFS.

I am a bit to critical most of the time with my performance expectations - coming from a rc F1 DESIGN/ RACING background - I want the board to perform like a racing boat.....LOL - sit 'perfectly smooth' at top speed ......................... what is top speed.................how fast is fast for a rc surfer..................... how smooth is smooth................................... what weight is ideal..............?????? - how sharp should it turn ?????................ driving myself crazy ..............LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and a few others................

Hey ! - you sure have achieved something great with your molding skills ! - well done - it looks great - what are you doing for your 'Surfer' ???
How have you joined the deck and hull - do you have a overlap joint for strength ?
Are you running a direct or flex shaft ?

What is the total running weight of your board ? Ready to surf !

I to hope to produce a "production mold" in the future - just want to spend some good R&D time figuring the ideal board ( if there is such a thing)...................

I have videod some of my new board, running on flat water today - finally happy with the overall running performance and handling - its pretty stable at top speed ( I think its actually to fast) - might step the 3900 kv motor down from 11.1v to 7.4v or I might add a few more 'dead grams' ........
The V hull design works well, initiating the board to lean into the turn - it tilts the surfer very nicely and avoids the chance of 'digging the rail in'

Anyways - get that board 'polished' so that it can look as good 'out of the surf as I am sure it will look 'in the surf...............................Keep the pictures coming.

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Old 04-01-2012, 11:43 AM
jefahead

Hi Kite,

I think that shapping is the way to go for Surf building, your surf is original,my surf isa copy of a chinese copy!!

The french forum is http://********.*****.fr. feel free to join / post there isn't much user using it so I guess we should make it international.

YPC, nice to meet you.

Me too I was obsessed with weight aspect not so long ago. I must admit I really like lightdesign too, but at the end of the day even millions dollars racer sail boat may carryhalf a tonof lead on their keel (even depleted uranium in some cases ) for sure they would get rid of it if they could.

The deck and hull are overlapped from the inside, it is a little bit tricky due to space, I alsopour some foam in the tail and nose.
I run solid shaft and never had an issue, my experiance with flexi thing was relatively short, did somebody tried silver brazing the insert?
The total weight is about 1800g with 3s 5000Mha, its is heavy but I like the way it surf and jump flat, I had real fun running my first light board, it was just 1100g, you can check the vid on youtube ''bedzart'', it wasgreat onglassi tiny waves but nightmare on windy swell.

I have a dude figure for this one (and I am not happy with its weight!!!), your foldable figure is amazing, I read that you glued layer of neoprene together? How did you do do to make it to hold its position? and the surface aspect?

I will hot coat and polish the board with epoxy, cross finger not to stuff up I dont want to spend the rest of my life sanding the board I have never done a hot coat with epoxy before...

Cheers

Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 PM
YPC

Hi Jefahead

1800 grams is still light by comparison of most of the boards weighing anything from 2400 - 4000 grams plus.

I will most probably also add some weight to my set up as I realise the need in various conditions - I will certainly look to stay below 2kg's. ( 1800 is ideal)

Question - when calculating the max rpm - do you start with the FULL CHARGE 12.6 V x the kv or do you work with the 11.1 V's in the case of a 3S.

I feel that I am running 'to high RPM' with the 3s set up - when I do the theory with a 27 mm ( 37.8 pitch) prop X (11.1 x 3900 kv) - the max speed is 98 km/h "theoretically"

I reckon I should test a 2s ( 7.4 V) pack = 65 km/h - which in reality could be more like 45 -50 km/h considering 20% loss's, which seems to be the desired speed and a better suited hull speed all in all.

Allow the epoxy to cure for at least a week before you try to polish it. Dont try to make a 'HOT MIX' with epoxy - it does not work like with resin - you need to keep your ratio's as prescribed.
Use a very fine brush and brush in varying directions front to back - centre to side - diagonal - GET ALL THE BUBBLES OUT.

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Old 04-01-2012, 12:48 PM
YPC

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ7lGHbN2S8[/youtube]

Hi Guys - some flat water testing - its been a long weekend of work- but well worth it - need to slow the board down a tad !
Happy with the V doing what I expected - leaning the surfer and lifting the outside rail.

Need to add some finishes to make it SURF PROOF - cant wait to get this one in the line up............................

Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Old 04-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Cananzi

dom

love the way it turns, very realistic. should look good in action.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM
surfcurls
Banned

U.S. Bro Down #2
Date: May 19 - 20, 2012
Time: Dawn Patrol - ???

Attendance List As Of 4-1-2012

Maui John - Added 3-26-12
Curly - Added 3-26-12
Kitekook - Added 3-26-12
Justin - Added 3-30-2012
Sail Dog - Added 4-1- 2012
Bad Billy - Is Sure To Show ( He's near the location)

Sail & Curly Are Planning to Arrive Friday the 18th
We are looking in To Ocean front Accomodations at This tme
More info to follow on our Investigations Regarding
The Accomodations Hub for U.S. Bro-Down Event #2. May 19 - 20, 2012
Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 PM
YPC

Hi Cananzi

Thanks for the rating ! - The V does seem to do the trick quite nicely Makes the turning action look 3 dimensional. It should be able to ride the face of the wave (down the line) standing more upright, and closer to the face, as the V should fit into the waves curvature better.

I did reduce the angle of the V toward the tail, as I found it to be 'to unstable' at speed (rocked from side to side) and tended to spin out in the turns.
The board is light and a tad to fast - so that could be the reason - but - I want to keep it as light/fast as possible.
The 15 degrees of V upfront will still help with cutting through the chop on the face and the 5 degrees aft is good for a more stable ride.
Even with the parallel drive shaft thrust - 45% CG - I still needed to add 2.5 degrees of negative trim ( JIMI ROCKER) to the tail, to keep it in the water at WOT (wide open throttle)
Once again, that may be due to the light weight and speed - but - the trim is not wetting the board out 'to much' - or pushing the nose down - so I am happy with it.

I had to 'cut' the original hull of the boat of to reconstruct the hull, which effected the water tight integrity of the motor/electrics housing compartment somewhat - so I need to do some more glass work 'inside' the board to get it SURF PROOF.

I also want to do some tests with a 7.4 V pack - want to get the speed/power down. The throttle is almost to viscous - I like the quick throttle response - but it almost feels to aggressive as is.

I'm very keen to start the tests in the surf - LOVING THIS !

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Hughengland

Maui Report: John & Hugh had Sunday off from filming "Blue Lagoon" today.
Hugh's am session 4 bricks
Hugh afternoon session - 5 bricks

Used my new Vee bottom - worked fantastic all day in 4-6ft surf.
Very little weight, quick self righting, clean jumps. not super fast, I may even put lower rpm motor in with bigger prop - as I tend to over rev engine when I get excited on some sections of wave, causing cavitation.
Where this board really seems to work in carving on wave face.
I will get John to take video to post after Easter - no keel Vee is not dead yet - working well for me so far!
Yes this is getting exciting as I feel I am getting closer to real surfboard.....time will tell.

Aloha
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Hughengland

Hugh reposting larger picture of Vee bottom deck

Name:	Hf98353.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	1745799  
Old 04-02-2012, 02:35 AM
YPC

Hi Hugh

Happy to hear your board is going well !

I am happy with the parallel drive shaft aspect - reduced the 'hop' somewhat - I am now going to remove the pod and use a flex shaft to establish the 0 degree thrust with the V.

Look forward to your footage !

Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 AM
dreadrock

Gday Crew,
Wow things happen fast on this thread, it's only been a couple of days and heaps of development!! Some good some not so, glad to see you got Bro sorted out there Dom, it all comes down to trial and error in the end but you'll never know till you try. Bro seems to be going well on the flat and looks like he's just amping for some swell....Great shots there Kite, i hope you don't mind i'd like to copy your Diva's hair, it just looks so cool and yes i'll be going a Diva also..more floatation up top an all haha.
Great to hear your V is working out well Hugh, i think these are going to be another chapter in R&D here, can't wait to see some footage.
Well i haven't got a lot done due to work. The pod/keel is on (just waiting for the resin to set) and got the deck lid glassed up yesterday morning before work.
I don't think it's been mentiioned on here as yet so, A work around for the uv resins at night is a black light, slow and a bit like watching the grass grow but gets there in the end. Seeing as i've been working seven days of late it's the best i can think of to try and get this little board built, and all thanks to the band practice room where i had a couple, kind of got me thinking so i thought i'd give it a go and yeeew it worked.
Cheers Nigel
All the bugs in the neighbour hood love it too

Old 04-02-2012, 07:27 AM
kitekook

Dom

2.5 deg ???

If you put a straight edge from say where the prop comes out of the hull(or thereabouts) and the tip of the tail...what is the height of the gap at the rudder hole?

I had 5mm...got smarter than Kyosho and shaved it down to 4mm...did not work as well(ok in glass...not so ok in chop) going to build it back up to 5mm this morning and then get out there!

JIMI ROCKER now dominating 3 of the 7 continents! Did Rainer put some JIMI in his Board? That would be 4! Over half the World.[X(]

Rainer are you still out there?

Lolo...I have the posts with your boards bookmarked so I can enjoy them every now and again. Did you use some of that JIMI Rocker in your models?

If not how do you deal with the motor hop at WOT?

Maui?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 AM
YPC

Hi Kite and Every One else !

Kite - I have built my 'Trim tab' (JIMI ROCKER) a little bit different to what you describe.

I have 'tapered the tail up from the prop area ( reverse rocker) , starting at O degrees about 120 mm in. angled at 2.5 degrees to the end of the tail, (5 mm high) flaring it around to the rails, so that the trim angle is consistent.

It sounds like you have more of a hook at the very tail - I would calculate that the end would have to be as much as 8 mm high for the height to be 5mm at the rudder pivot point. Like a trim tab would work - deflecting the tail spray downward resulting in lift.

I am still marching on - after all the 'experimenting with' - hull changes - thrust angle changes - etc -

I have concluded - the V does work well - however I dont like the POD.

I have now "REMOVED THE POD" ( my heart is with Hugh - I just like the POD-LESS look............ and a few other &*$less looks ...............LOL)

PICTURES ' HOT OF THE PRESS - Got the changes done between things this afternoon - need to neaten it up to=morrow.

The 'progressive V hull' - tapering to the tail has allowed me to install the drive shaft with a very shallow thrust angle, in comparison to the original V

I am going to install a THRUSTER skeg arrangement. as I feel the outer skegs will act as 'TURN FINS' enabling the turn better ( not having much keel) and avoid the slide out when banking very sharp. (Much the same concept as what is employed on the v hull model racing boats- they simply wont turn without them and slide around like they are on a oil slick)
In the last pic -Look at the hardware on a racing V hull needed to get it to 'behave' the way we want it to....................................... some serious JIMI ROCKER equipment.......LOL

I am starting to feel like a 'GLASS SURGEON' - been at the operating table for quite some time with this patient........................................... .........Dr. Dom.......

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Name:	Lj23022.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1745968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96859.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1745969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94210.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1745970   Click image for larger version

Name:	He96973.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1745971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19202.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1745972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18692.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1745973  
Old 04-02-2012, 05:57 PM
rcdsurf

Hi all.
This is my first post here as I have only just stumbled across this site and RC Surfer community. I think it's awesome.
I'm a surfboard maker by hobby and I have been thinking about these little surfer dudes for ages now. Well the time has come to build one myself.
A few questions if you guys don't mind.
1. Has anyone made a weight system that is linked to the control arm that will help the board roll onto the *inside rail in turns? So it can perform more like a real surfboard. A movable system if you know what I mean.
2. Has a twin engine version been made before?
Sorry if these have been discussed before but the thread is MASSIVE and I haven't read it all........yet!
Thanks for reading my post.
Cheers,
Rob
Old 04-02-2012, 08:07 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Hey Dom (YPC)

We are planning the U.S. Bro-Down Event #2
It Would be great to Run A "Bro" Ypc Figure or 2 at the event.
We Will Have Some of The Best Rc Surfer Pilots / Builders From The United States In Attendance.

There would be some great footage for Your AAA Product.
Let Me Know. I can send a first class ticket ( Mail Fees) for (2)

Keep Up The Good Work. All For Good. Great For All ...

Curlz
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 PM
YPC

Hi Curlz

Sounds like a great 'idea' - how much time do we have ? Visa's can take a while from the local US embassy.............................

Would you want to bolt or bond Bro' onto the deck ? ( the bolts will protrude about 5 mm on the inside of the deck )

What boards will he be riding ?

Regards
Dominic (YPC)

PS - Bro' sais he's tired of hanging around and flat water testing - wants to get into some REAL SURF like his brother in Aus !!!!............................LOL

Name:	Hf98472.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1746257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93862.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1746258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33486.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1746259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69953.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1746260  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.