Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

Yes, we use China Hulls, and tear them apart
and rebuild them.

That Kyosho Hull is in good shape. It just needs cleaned up.
I just got tired of it laying around the shop the past 4 years
and wasn't interested in cleaning it up. But I probably should !

Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM
itsfishi

daign, take the time, read the forum, all the info you seek is here.

surf is picking up here but as predicted so is the wind and rain, got through 2 packs mainly just testing stuff, could of stayed longer but just wasnt doing it for me.

as dom said i did some initial damage to his bro figure, after sending him out at cowries where he performed great in about 6ft face range, got pouded a few times and survived well, i took him to queensland where in some small surf 1-2ft i managed to snap his ankle in half, not sure why this happened, i suspect maybe he had a zillion kg of bags chucked on him in the plane and this was the cause and the waves were just the straw that brack the camels back. anyway i was surprised this happened as he is very strong,(although the ankle being the thinnest part of the leg is the obvious weak point), and has taken a beating. what i havve done now is install an o ring system aka kyosho/ nqd style but different, so much easier to change orings, and will i think make board and bro pretty much bomb proof, time will tell. so far testing has been sweet taking on numerous closeouts full speed(4s) head on with no ill effects, again this is not in big surf but my instinct tells me it will work sweet. to his credit Dom asked me to ride him like i stole him and to not hold back with any critisisms, he has made a great figure and taken any input into account, i believe in his new bros the ankles will be reinforced and he is considering the o ring idea. imho he is a way better figure than the nqd lisa(the only other i have had except for my own short lived design) and would be happy to buy one after ankles strengthened or o ringed. im not just saying good stuff cause he sent me bro free to test, it did cost a lot for the post($40 extra fast post) so he was not free and i have spent a tonne of time with him in the workshop. Dom has his screwed on build quality wise and some things need a good test to figure out so i guess thats why he sent me one.

how do you guys think he looks in the water. also i reckon he needs a new name, my mate in queensland called him bill after bill clinton, anyone got any better ideas.\

later
Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
daign

Yup been reading from the beginning. Lots to soak up. Thanks.

I got a line on a new in box kyosho that I can hopefully snag.

ORIGINAL: itsfishi

daign, take the time, read the forum, all the info you seek is here.

surf is picking up here but as predicted so is the wind and rain, got through 2 packs mainly just testing stuff, could of stayed longer but just wasnt doing it for me.

as dom said i did some initial damage to his bro figure, after sending him out at cowries where he performed great in about 6ft face range, got pouded a few times and survived well, i took him to queensland where in some small surf 1-2ft i managed to snap his ankle in half, not sure why this happened, i suspect maybe he had a zillion kg of bags chucked on him in the plane and this was the cause and the waves were just the straw that brack the camels back. anyway i was surprised this happened as he is very strong,(although the ankle being the thinnest part of the leg is the obvious weak point), and has taken a beating. what i havve done now is install an o ring system aka kyosho/ nqd style but different, so much easier to change orings, and will i think make board and bro pretty much bomb proof, time will tell. so far testing has been sweet taking on numerous closeouts full speed(4s) head on with no ill effects, again this is not in big surf but my instinct tells me it will work sweet. to his credit Dom asked me to ride him like i stole him and to not hold back with any critisisms, he has made a great figure and taken any input into account, i believe in his new bros the ankles will be reinforced and he is considering the o ring idea. imho he is a way better figure than the nqd lisa(the only other i have had except for my own short lived design) and would be happy to buy one after ankles strengthened or o ringed. im not just saying good stuff cause he sent me bro free to test, it did cost a lot for the post($40 extra fast post) so he was not free and i have spent a tonne of time with him in the workshop. Dom has his screwed on build quality wise and some things need a good test to figure out so i guess thats why he sent me one.

how do you guys think he looks in the water. also i reckon he needs a new name, my mate in queensland called him bill after bill clinton, anyone got any better ideas.\

later
Old 04-16-2012, 03:40 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

fish

looks like no one out ,,and perfect waves ,, your luckey,, super crowded over here maui john
Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

hugh

thanks for that great shot ,,that was pure luck i made it out of the tube , i wish all my waves were like that maui john
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
itsfishi

John No one was out because it was pretty much un surfable, those were set waves. i did try Cowries but it was overtaken by body board groms scavenging every last wave. they tend to pick up the scraps the stand up guys leave on good days too, they are my nemises. lol. it was a great day to be 1 foot tall.those 2 waves i got were from the 1st pack of the session after that it was too good to waste one handed. got a few little barrels and airs whic always gets me smiling. id love to have a go at those waves you are getting. Please send me a ticket lol. hoping for some good waves later in the week, fingers crossed. board is going great in the small stuff, hope it does same in bigger.

later
Old 04-16-2012, 04:39 PM
itsfishi

had an idea but my esc doesnt do it,

wanted to set the esc for braking to stop the prop free spinning and therefore hopefully being able to stall/slow the board when needed. just an idea, maybe i should try setting reverse and see how that would go.

anyone tried anything like this?

1 other idea for one of the new guys who is reading through the whole forum, it would be great to have a list of what mods are on what pages for a quick find mod guide, just note the mod and page its on as you are reading through, then post them all together, for others so then all we need to remember is the one handy page that the mod list is on. im sure doing something like this will help many, so if your up to it that would be great, thanks.

later
Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM
itsfishi

hey just looked up esc data on HK it says it has brake but it doesnt, but i set it to do reverse and when you push the trigger out it is a brake then if you let go and push again its reverse, so i will be trying this myself. awesome. may be able to stall into the barrell............bazzzzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Cananzi

fishi

we need our own thread section in Rc Universe. least people could search the mods/topics in the threads section. maybe we should send an admin a msg about it? i wonder if they would listen.

diagn

that kyosho from curly is a bargin i would be grabing that before an nqd any day

Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Saildoggie

Fun stuff guys, my flex shaft arrived from Offshore Electrics, pretty quick shipping..It has a teflon tube for the outside and they sent me a brass tube that I thought would slip over the Teflon tube but is too small, it does house teh flex shaft though a little loose.

Question, do I want to get a Brass tube that covers teh Teflon sleeze and have the tube extend far enough to get a good overlap on the prop adapter?

Looks to me that the prop adapter needs to be at least properly supported by a tube or else it can flex where it meets the flex shaft and chew the crap out the bottom of my board!!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
eddie5364

Antennas tubs.

Hi guys, I’m looking to install an antenna tube on the front portion of my surfer and I started thinking WHY, I’m using a 2.4ghz receiver (FlySky FS-GT3B Digital 3ch 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver) and all my other RC toys that use a 2.4ghz receiver has the antenna installed inside plane or boat with no external antenna, also the guys at my LHS agree that installing the antenna wires in an external tube in not necessary.

Has anybody else ditched the antenna tube on their boards when using a 2.4ghz reciever? And have you had any receiver problems?

Thanks
Eddie

Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM
rcdsurf

Hi Guys......update on my build........Laminated the bottom and routed out the the top for the motor etc. Foiled my side fins and worked on the weight distro....that's it for now as I have to pay the bills etc........bloody work getting in the way of having fun ha ha ha

Pics as soon as I get home again. 

I'm with Dom, I like the smell of resin 
Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Cananzi

Eddie

It will work fine with no antenna. Most guys don't run antennas
Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Fish: I took a look back for a few pages from page #1.
It was cool to sea that Maui John, Maui Jock And Me started on page 6.
That was over 4 years ago. Nowadayz it's a whole different - better approach.
I hope this site never goes down. There is a ton of History / Info here.

Regarding the mods, man there are so many ways to look at it.
I think today we are all running about the same gear.
It was proven "in those written pages" Areosmith -
Flex, Brushless, Li-po (Except me. I still feel safer with flashlight Ni-mh) and Marine ESC 60 - 120
NO BIRDIE - Dom Proved that. I wonder what ESC France was running on that 2 stroke/ anti stoke

Problem now is HK, Offshore Etc wont be able to keep up with the growing demand
for their parts. Heck my ESC order is 35 dayz old. I need some parts for Bro #2

Sail: I would build the stuff tube like Kite did. Looks strong and Functional...
I didn't like the teflon set ups I tried.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:29 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Yup, Jimi tested The 2.4 2 years ago from HK, and no antenna worked great.
The less holes in the Hull, the less chance of WATER!

I tried it on day 2 of Bro-down #1 And it worked great.
I didn't attempt on day #1 as I didn't want to loose my board if it failed.
Althought I always have all the faith in Jimi. He has tested ideas with me from
the time he got the first board...

I could sea why Daing was skeptical on that old red hull
I just wanted to make space. Now I am going to clean it up.
I didn't want to put the time in, but I will. "Pier Pressure" lol
Old 04-16-2012, 05:40 PM
itsfishi

yeah we may be running similar i agree but how to get it done is what guys need, like Jimi's how to on stuffing tube that saildog needs right now, im pretty sure its somewhere in the 70's page range but would be good to go to page 200 or whatever and see ok jimi stuff tube mod on page 76 with a link, and no offence to anyone instead of the same q's getting asked all the time, i see so many new names about we will be getting inundated with it. i have seen on other forums how the guys with the knowledge end up leaving because its just too hard to answer the same thing time n time again. this is a long forum it takes alot to read and by the end probably forgotten half. i mknow if i was building a new board it would be great to have instant access to the info.
again just 2 cents.

Sail i have found the lead teflon bearings to be the best for holding the prop end in shaft, i tried brass but have gone back to them. JImi's how to is good. maybe i can find it for you. i ahd to a couple times for myself.

later

i like the smell of whatever it is that shoiuld be dry from last night being dry and ready for a wave.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 PM
itsfishi

sail d i knew it was in the 70's page 71

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10311997

later
Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Saildoggie

ORIGINAL: itsfishi

sail d i knew it was in the 70's page 71

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10311997

later

Thanks so much, I understand the same questions being asked over and over again, my Caribbean travel and sailing forum is the same way!

Would be sooo nice to index different tops such as motors/drive, boards, esc, etc. but we are limited on what we can do here.

The sailing forum limits threads to about 7 pages and has multiple threads with different subjects, much easier to navigate than 179 pages of gonzo good info that is mind boggling to find what you need to know...

Thanks guys, I will try not be a bother in the future.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Hughengland

John even make the small waves look good
- yes this is a 2 shot sequence

Hugh on Maui still trying to figure out best fin setup my Vee surfer.
I have 4 fins (quad) + steering skeg - kept the quad fins very small - rides well but does not snap turn at speed.

Last night I glassed on a single 1.5" fin in middle of board - to see if it would allow me to make sharp turns at speed.....
Feedback is that it caused Vee baord to trip on outside rail again when turning left...............same as larger thruster side fins did.

Monday afternoon removed the middle 1.5" fin - installed 6" long by 1/2" deep carbon plate, along centerline
- hoping to create some type of resistance forward of my turning skeg, so that board can turn sharper under speed..........
Will test Tuesday.

Hugh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89253.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1751421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32702.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1751422  
Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Honolua Hugh: HH For Short.

I hope Maui John Got you and Jock First Class Tix For The Flight to U.S. Bro- #2.

If Not, Maybe A U.S. Bro Event could come to Pipeline in Dec 2012.
That would be a quicker flight...

Curlz - Party Planner of the 3rd Da Kine Ya
Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 AM
rcdsurf

This is my newer version of the turning weight system that is attachedto the rear fins to help get the board to roll over onto it's inside rail. A quad setup with the 2 rears the are the rudders. It's very adjustable so I should be able to get the right balance. It will even have a removable weight system where I will be able to play with different size weights etc.

That's the plan anyway. Call me crazy ha ha ha.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mk26699.pdf (17.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-17-2012, 01:39 AM
itsfishi

people have called me crazy all my life, i take it as a compliment now. Not many really crazy people would come up with a diagram like that. looks cool. Have you considerd having it set up on a seperate servo, i just think it may give you more options,with a computer radio you could set it to work exactly like you have it but if you dont like it that way you will be able to program the movement exponetially etc also i think i said it before you can set the weight to the right side to dig that rail while on right yet still be able to turn left with weight still on the rail for quick adjustment across the face and vice versa, also something i wanted to try with the weight is connect it to a gyro.

One thing i have found is even when i think the board is going good enough, i want to mod something else to make it better, sometimes i have done a couple of things at the same time and end up not knowing what has affected what. lol.

Tried the brake thing this arvo and could not notice if it slowed the board any more or not so...........

Still waiting for my new batts n motor

maui ive been checking your u tube hoping for that new vid.

Weather bad here now

beer is cold though

later

Sail d definatley not bothered by your q's mate thats not how i meant to come across at all, sorry if i did

its more like if its someones 1st post and they just want someone to write them A-z of rc surfing next post just cause they couldnt be bothered to read a bit.

i think its abit give n take, give a bit respect and youll get alot in return.

you dont turn up to a party with no beer and walk in the house with muddy boots and expect the owners to get you a cold one and say "welcome sit in my lazy boy, heres the remote"

hope that came across right

later

Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 AM
Jimi Findrix

You guys are all a bit

Crazy Ha Ha Ha

Crazy Ha Ha Ha

Crazy Ha Ha Ha

Crazy Ha Ha Ha

Crazy Ha Ha Ha

Crazy Ha Ha Ha

Crazy Ha Ha Ha
Crazy Ha Ha Ha
BUTI THINKYOU ARE ALLAWESOME!
JIMI Findrix

Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 AM
Jimi Findrix

Oh, I see Seb's online.
G'day Mate!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 AM
itsfishi

BUllsh$T jimi and seb signed in simultaiously,

whats doin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.