Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
RC Resinator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

SURF CONTEST
PLASTIC VS. RESIN
The winner of the Bro Down 2, Brian aka "THOR',  is willing to defend his title!  Anywhere,  Anytime, Anysurf!

RC SURFER didn't you run a Maui surfer at the Bro Down 2? I think you got 2nd place with it! I will help to get your plastic surfer going if you compete in the contest.  Thor is running a very old Maui surfer. You definitely have the skill to win.

Kite your comments are spot on!  Your boards are some of the nicer customs I've seen. John has been good to all of us! Get my cell # from John, S.C has been gong off lately.
RC RESINATOR
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM
marktw

Howdy fellas, It finally happened......I got through all 247 pages of this forum I was hoping to find the definitave setup for the 2 NQD's I have but now I'm going to have to start over because I didn't take enough notes, actually I figured technology would be very different between 2007 and now. It's fantastic that all of you have shared so much info but it is mind boggling. If anyone has a NQD or something similar that they have figured out the perfect setup, other than putting it in the trash, please give me a list of specifics. So far I've narrowed it down to 60-90-120 ESC, 2200-3900kv brushless motor, 120gms lead in front of the pod. ditch Lisa and make a foam figure, stick a bunch of brass tubes inside each other for a shaft, get a 2.4ghz tx&rx, several 2s-3s 5000mah batteries, deans connectors(?), chargers and power suppliy. I'm sure I'm leaving out many things but brain overload calls for a cold one or 12. Looking at Hobbyking and OCS(?) is see I have narrowed it down to some 600 or so choices. Any help making a "here's what I'm gonna by list" would be much appreciated. Please keep in mind I can afford a $50 radio but not a $200 one. Surfable waves here in LA (Lower Alabama) are few and far between and I live 30 minute from the coast but it sure looks like a good use of free time when the little waves are here. In the late 60's a friend of mine and I would sit on the beach thinking how great it would be if we were tiny and could ride the itty-bitty shorebreak -nows my chance.
Thanks for any help.
Mark in Mobile
Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Thor

I think A Bro #3 Is in order. Not sure how many plastic fantastics will show ?
Probably More Customs this round. You shredded it up Brah, But we all have new weapons of surf. Game on for fun !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd_2FM7LXuc[/youtube]
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 PM
InDaTube

Surfcurls

Bro Down #3…
Count me in....

InDaTube
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM
YPC

Howzit Curls.....

I'm genuinely stoked that you have 10 orders....it means that 'maybe' we will get to 'sea' one of them 'in the surf soooooooooooooooooon !

To change a well known adage ..........."Happy 'glass' times"

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Inda

May sounds good for #3

Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 AM
YPC

Howzit guys.............while we are flexing our muscles...........LOL

Thought I would show you what makes Bro so 'HARD CORE'

I have come a ways since my first Bro's......the manufacturing process is still the same, 3D fiber core laminated with 15mm neoprene either side - but - I know use +/- 45 degree and 90 degree layup cloth with uni directional carbon fiber in between , strengthening the stress areas laid up with Epoxy !

I also now 'epoxy' Bro onto the hatch cover. No bolt intrusion holes that may leak and no bolts protruding into the housing.

Next step is to laminate with black neoprene.

RCU not uploading pics................later.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM
RC Surfer

Bearcave Thanks for the kind words I'm just simply trying to help those who have Productionboardsto getto the point that I am at with mine . Ididn'thave to take my "Lisa" or Dude boardapart, add sponges,put reinforcement all over the doll, and stillhavehad back to back to back x?runs without any problems and then again you still get a few bumps in the road but usually lack of over looked maintaince just having too much fun! as far as the electrics go like everythingRC i've had has been modfied from Box Stock. and if you aren't planning to change the electro's on anything RC, don't bye it! To bad these production companys didn't askEd or I for our inpute mybe the production boardswould be still in production!! and to the other unsuccessfuls "You can lead a horse to water but you can't makethemdrink"!
Bro down#1 & #2 I didn't know they were contests!!!I sure saw a lot of hot waves caught that weren't on the vidio Iguess at the next contest (forgetnaming itBro down # 3, it's on now, nomore fun now!) you"ll probable need 5 or so cams to catch the true #1 Surfer, I won't be there, I'll be waiting for the Bro down #3! fun one that is! Oh by the way that was the first time I ever drove a MJ board because I had RADIO problems with mine not surfer problems. Thanks MJ I enjoyed it!
Later Dudes

Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
surfcurls
Banned

BB
I agree. The true spirit of the Bro Downs is all for fun, a gathering for the halibut.
I'm sure Thor was just having a fun joust about it all...
True that a lot of great rides went unfilmed, Just glad MJ Caught what he could. His captions
on the video for all the "Winners" is classic. Maybe someday we could Hire a pro film crew
to capture it all, and let MJ spend more time in the water than behind the lenz.

P.S. Thanks for teaching me how to Rc Surf better. The Servo Trimmed down
made it a whole new experience. Hope to sea you at Bro #3
Old 01-28-2013, 04:03 PM
kitekook

We finally made it back into the Surf today...

We had a week of Arctic Cold followed by a week of lousy Surf...which set me into Build mode...then we got a several days of Rain...my new board has been ready for a while now.

It was Sunny today!
Conditions were really bad....wind swell and onshore winds...didn't matter we had to get wet.

Meet Horse!

He is riding my new Maui Swallow Tail 34 x 11 wide

This board has some get up and go!

The Leopard 3665-B-2300Kv motor is powered by a 5S battery and pushing a Grim Racer 36 x 55mm Prop

I took the nose template of my favorite board and added a Swallow Tail to it... 1 3/4th inch Twin fin's to make it turn on a dime!

John suggested I make the pod a little deeper...baby steps for me...I made it 1/2inch deeper

Guess it helped...I added no additional weight in the end...we came in a 8 lbs.

Todays action a one big washing machine!

Camera was not pointed in the right direction...missed most of the action.

Did managed to get three shots out of hundreds[&o]

Horse jumps pretty well.

Can't wait to get into some clean conditions...gonna try in the morning...I might have to head North on my days off...no surprise!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM
RC HAWAIIAN STYLE

RC Surfer
[/b]

bad billy your a legend,, if not for australia making the kyosho,, and you making all the custom parts where would we be? no where with out you, ed, curls and all the rest of

the pioneers we would be lost . so i have to thank you and all the orignators of the hobby.. we dont really need a contest know that bad billy is numberone in my eyes, please forgive me

i had a great time rc surfing with you and i hope we can get together soon to share more ideas

maui john
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM
surfcurls
Banned

MJ
It's an honor for me to be mentioned in your comment to BB. Those Guys motivated me !
We ALL do this for the Fun of it, You too are a legend in my book. Along With Kite & Innovator Dom.
I am Stoked To witness the New direction the sport has taken Thanx to your efforts.
In The End, it equals the same thing. "Fun, Fun, Fun till daddy takes the Tbird away"

Tom
The new board is looking lean and mean. The shaping of the dude
at your shop at mission bay paid off.

Marktw Things are changing fast on this forum.
It's hard for anyone to keep repeat posting what works best or a complete list
to refit a plastic model. Best bet is to jot notes
on the back pages, everything stated works swell.
It's just that The boards are now shifting from the old school
Kyosho/shark/NQD to new school custom, or semi custom boards now.
Great thing is, The Info is all here.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Jimi Findrix

G'day to all the RC Surfer crew,

It is now about 9 weeks since I underwent major surgery to remove 3 cancerous tumorsfrom various parts of my abdomen.
While the surgery did go well and I now have a very large scar right across my belly it has been a very rough ride over the last 3 months to say the least and I will be starting 6 weeks radiation treatment and several months chemo half way through Febso there is plenty more punishment to be endured in the immediate future for this old seadog..

I did manage to get a few rc surfing sessions in a couple of weeks ago thanks to Luke who was on holidays and was kind enough to come and take me to "Pages" and "St Georges" a few times while he was on holidays.

Even though we are only old school production board users it was still a real blast to get back to the beach and carve up a few perfect little peelers.

The progress being made by many members on here is incredible to see and I just wanted to say that I wish you all good health and long run times for 2013.

See ya.

JIMI

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
YPC

Howzit JIMMI !...sorry to hear about the tumors.......we will continue to keep you in our prayers ! Please keep us up to speed on your progress!

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 PM
YPC

RCU..........sorted for uploading pics.

Bro's HARD CORE !.............this system works well for me........one should 'never say never' when challenging the ocean - however this layup combination has done well to prove it's strength.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20779.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1845418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17791.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1845419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40437.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1845420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14101.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1845421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88440.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1845422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do83543.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1845423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iy35879.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1845424  
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Keep Good Health Jimi

You are a big part of the Rc Surfer World.
If Needed, Dr.Curls will make a new spell, stronger than ever...
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM
surfcurls
Banned

YPC
Nice engineering. Just not sure it can handle 10 foot faces.

How many layers of glass is it ?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Now you got me going! I have a Kyosho surfer "the dude" sitting on a shelf in my garage for many years now... It was a fun runner back in the day, gotta go brushless, lipos, 2.4 and get that thing back on the water.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM
YPC

Curls.........I'm going to call you "Doubting Thomas" from now.........LOL...........DT !

Hey ! even the Engineers from the TITANIC learnt not to dis the ocean...so I am not going to satynever......even real surfboards and surfers 'break' in the ocean..but - I can say this based on solid R&D, that over the past 40 + sessions in various surf conditions so far, with this new layup as you see it, I have not broken my Bro.

I certainly don't hold back when hitting the white water or when getting big air........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S2rOgHVIS0[/youtube]

Only weighing in at 150 grams - standing a 1ft tall........yeah.......I guess that's good engineering.

At 10ft face I just might be tempted to paddle in..............LOL

Bro works well on the Production boards as well...........One of the my original Bro's that was sent to Itsfishi in OZ for testing !.......since then , the layup has changed to what it is now.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IVok7G0Pkg

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Jh14460.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1845438   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45387.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1845439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32941.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	1845440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93391.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1845441  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM
kitekook

Quote: Only weighing in at 150 grams - standing a 1ft tall........yeah.......I guess that good engineering.

When you start making statements like that it triggers reactions in me/others that you get upset about.

My Surfer stands 15 inches tall and weighs a little over 10 ozs

cube square law

15/12 = 1.25 cubed = 1.95

150g = 5.29oz (shouldn't all measurements be metric/imperial???)

1.95 x 5.29 = 10.33

I'd say that it ain't all that as far as engineering goes....oppps! there I have pissed you off again.

All could have been avoided.....if it wasn't for the above statement...

Nothing personal...just sayin'
Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 PM
kitekook

I think it is difficult to know how our Surfers will handle huge Surf without actually being in Hugh Surf....

I did a little Goggle research just now and found this:

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/u10l2c.cfm

I quote:

The energy transported by a wave is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave....

(still quoting) This means that a doubling of the amplitude of a wave is indicative of a quadrupling of the energy transported by the wave. A tripling of the amplitude of a wave is indicative of a nine-fold increase in the amount of energy transported by the wave. And a quadrupling of the amplitude of a wave is indicative of a 16-fold increase in the amount of energy transported by the wave.

So, our experiences in 3-5 ft Surf do not predict how we will perform in 6-10 nor 9-15ft Surf...as the forces involved are growing exponentially...

There has to be a limit to what our models can withstand...just hard to predict what that might be.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
YPC

Howzit Kite........ didn't mean to spoil your day.........and No !....you did not piss me off...LOL....I'm merely sharing the SPECS of my Bro Surfer........and raising my cap to Curl's engineering compliment he passed.........although all things 'structured' are in effect engineered.

Dont quite understand that formula you have their or the exact point you are making - but - conman sense tells me 'the lighter the surfer size for size, the less centrifugal force it will generate in the turns and the easier it will be to self right itself .........when you calculate buoyancy you have to take into account the weight of the actual structure intending to be bouyant and subtract that from the buoyancy equation to realize the actual buoyancy potential.

The 10 ft wave face myth is also starting to bore me somewhat.......I wish some would rather show videos of actually ridding 10ft face........rather than talking about it.

I would even go as far as saying that the force of a particular 5 ft wave could quite easily be greater than the force of a different 10 ft wave - depending on the type of swell - ground swell or wind swell - what type of break it is - reef or sand bank......even the water temperature plays a part. We have both the ATLANTIC and INDIAN ocean to surf and I assure you.....the cold Altlantic waves knock the CRAP out of you by comparison to the INDIAN oceans waves.......

Personally IMO....at 10ft face......its time to put the ******** down and pick up ones own board for a paddle out............

Lets rather focus on SOME TECH TALK !.....when securing the hatch studs................'for any newbies'

-Fit a stopper to the drill bit at the correct depth -TO- prevent drilling to deep ( even through the board....LOL) try to have a stopper as wide in diameter as possible to ensure that the hole is drilled perpendicular to the flange surface, which will present the studs.

- Place a sliced silicon tube around the stud to set the protruding height.

- Inject the epoxy into each hole - holding it under pressure for the count of 15 seconds to ensure that it saturates into the surrounding foam.

- When you position the studs into the pre -glued holes - turn it in like you would skrew it onto a nut.

- Once the epoxy is semi set - remove the silicon slice and masking tape and clean up around the thread.

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Name:	Vt56673.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1845475   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44228.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1845476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54252.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1845477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16876.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1845478   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs97048.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1845479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31613.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1845480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58777.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1845481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93081.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1845482  

Old 01-29-2013, 12:54 AM
bearcave

ORIGINAL: marktw
Howdy fellas, I was hoping to find the definitave setup for the 2 NQD's I have but now I'm going to have to start over because I didn't take enough notes,

In the late 60's a friend of mine and I would sit on the beach thinking how great it would be if we were tiny and could ride the itty-bitty shorebreak -nows my chance.
Hey marktw.

Taking notes of interesting stuff is the way to go andpretty sure everyone watching this forum has mind surfed the sometimes perfect little waves on the shoreline at some time too.

This rcsurfing pastime has come a long way since a surfer with a broken leg took his rc boats into the waves too see what would happen many years ago.

Imo all the masters of this pastime past or present and their willingness to share some of their stuff has got us where we are today...... hope you enjoy your new addiction.

Btw surfer guys.
I need to upgrade my radio system and like marktw can't afford $200 either.... even though i understand you get what you pay for.
Kite has posted much stuff regarding radios and imo would like an airtronics like his atm BUT was thinking of buying a Turnigy 3XS FHSS 2.4ghz one from Hobbyking for $50 i've heard good reports about and giving it a go..... any thoughts?

bearcave
Old 01-29-2013, 01:07 AM
YPC

Howzit Bearcave..............IMO

I have not had a moments trouble with the inexpensive $14 HK pistol grip radio.........I don't even run an external antenna on my board.

I dont care what 2.4 gig radio one uses.....if you have an obstacle between the board and the radio...( ie under water or behind a wave....you will lose the bind........2.4 gig transmits like a beam of light.
Since the RX's now have longer antenna's than the originals, they work even faster when binding.

The TX antenna direction when in use is important..........once again like shinning a torch. I find it best to direct the antenna at a 45 degree angle to the ocean surface pointing toward the ocean........

Bro ********. ...
Share the STOKE !

Old 01-29-2013, 02:08 AM
bearcave

hey Jimi.... nothin better than a good friend takin your ass out of the house and down the beach hey... all the best for the next sessions

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.