Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:16 AM
K-H2o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken
- Thanks for the heads up. Forum is looking good now !!!
It would be nice to get more people involved in this forum. Is there a way to get us on the main sub directory under boating? RC surfer is buried under Boating General Discussion. It is hard to find even if you are looking for it .

Mahalo !!! Karl
Old 08-09-2013, 10:23 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by K-H2o

Ken
- Thanks for the heads up. Forum is looking good now !!!
It would be nice to get more people involved in this forum. Is there a way to get us on the main sub directory under boating? RC surfer is buried under Boating General Discussion. It is hard to find even if you are looking for it .

Mahalo !!! Karl

i've looked several times about branching this our to make a RC Surfer sub-forum under the RC Boats forum, but I haven't been able to see enough different posts that would make threads in the new forum. If you can show us that there would be enough different threads started, and added to, in the new forum I don't have any problem branching this out into a sub-forum. But we're not going to create a sub-forum that's going to sit empty with only one or two threads going in it.

Let me know if you think you can support the traffic.

Ken
Old 08-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Jimi Findrix

Dom has asked me to pass on this message.

JIMI – here is a favour please POST ON MY BEHALF: on both the RCU forums.

Hi Guys !
For ‘some reason’ I am not able to access the RCU forums ??? – please contact me through www.bro********.com or [email protected] should you need any info – advise – product – whilst............... RCU hopefully sort this situation out......which I do hope is sooooooooooon !

Bro********

Last edited by Jimi Findrix; 08-09-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Hi Karl,

I totally get what RCKen is saying, and he is right. Maybe years ago sub threads would have worked.
Theses Dayz, The China / Japan models are Obsolete and not many viewers are interested in modifying those models any more.
This thread has become More of a custom builder site for the DIY Builder, Sharing Stories, Pix And Builds....
Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Jimi Findrix

Sorry, I always thought this thread was for All RC Surfers regardless of construction method..

JIMI
Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Hey Jimi,
All good, just the tide has changed. Kyosho is no longer available. Even China models are going out.
Better options exist. Since MJ made the first yellow mon with DVD, Creative art took off. Simply awesome.

All construction, anything rc surfing is great.
In fact, I helped Joe T last week get a Kelly slater mod solid. Joe did all the work
I just consulted him on the project, and supplied the parts he needed.
Turns out this is the best modified Slater model to date.
Well Done Joe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01739.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1906652   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01740.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1906653   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01745.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1906654   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01746.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1906655  
Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Jimi Findrix

Hey Curls,
Thanks for the email you sent me today, good to hear you are overcoming the problems with your V2 models.
Are you planning on changing to a flexi-frame for the Dude, like Bro's Gumby doll to minimse breakage?

JIMI
Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Default Go Figure

Funny you ask.
Dom approached me a few weeks ago about adding Bro figures as an option for my boards.
We discussed the possibility that he would build me custom frames for a Dude figure, with some changes
and I had some ideas of different coatings.

I'm sticking with my figure design at the moment. They take many hours to create, fiberglass, sand and paint.
But, I really like the fact they look a bit more realistic.

Years ago, I thought of making a thin, flat silhouette as a figure even to the point of adding a photo face just for kicks.
It was kinda like what Dom designed except it had no bends and no neoprene.
Dom did a fantastic job designing the Bro Figure, it's strong, surfs and ships well.

Here's a board heading out to Oahu, Mark made a custom figure for it...

Name:	cooper board 003.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	858.1 KB
ID:	1906870  
Old 08-11-2013, 01:18 AM
YPC

Default Bro********.com

Howzit Chaps.......Eventually !....... I am able to get back onto the forum !.....Big Thanks to MATT for following me up and for helping me out !!! 10+

Man ! I wish I could say that I was happy with the look and feel and operation of this new forum..I am all for change as long as it is for the better..but frankly I don't like it.. Even simply clicking on the thumbnails for a bigger view is now a 'brief process'. irritates the crap out of me....it used to be so slick with the previous package..enlarging the photo's....are you guys serious when some of you say that you feel this package is better ???? and great... I'm trying to understand your strategy....or is it going to be like the Kyhoso board project all over again....it kind of looks ok...now lets try to fix it......mmmmmmmm

What happend to the American idiom ? " if it aint broke - dont fix it"

As for my Bro ******** Dude's..look ?.(even though many like it).......as the understanding goes. tough guys generally are not too concerned about what they look like..its more about what they can handle..... as I have shared so often before.......having well over 30 years of rc design experience..In the true performance arena of any sport /discipline- its all about.lasting integrity..you have to finish a race to win it.... which in this case is 'in the surf' .for me......at 40 yards plus off the beach,... the detail is in the strength and ability.of the dude and board..not in the '.on the shelf - in the box look'....unless ?.. you are one of those who actually believes you are playing with dolls...... or your board spends more time on the mantel piece...... rather than 'in the surf.'.

If you seriously want the dude to handle sizable surf - punch through the thickest lip to pull a big move - survive the highest air you could hope to launch - face plant him into the sand in a massive shore break close out- AND - last through out the 'entire session' ...not spoiling your fun.. every session...you have to build a dude designed 'specifically' ( first and foremost ) to play hard....not to just hopefully 'look like' a barbie Ken...perhaps a little over weight.

Surely this thread is a 200 page plus testimony and as a result of.so much that may have been highly 'spoken about'.. looked good in the pictures and on the work bench - but - did not actually perform well at all...I'm still left quite confused why the Kyhoso board has received so much credit over the years, when not one that I know of was able to be taken out the box- assembled -powered up and actually enjoyed .........every Kyhoso board I have seen that manages to perform to some degree of satisfaction, has required a complete make over of just about every aspect,.for it. to be able to do so-- DUH !....If you are judging/criticizing. a product /component simply for its authentic scale look, rather than its Integral ability and strength to perform at the highest end of the performance scale...you are still focusing at the scale/ toy level....$60's worth..with free shipping.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-No...t-p-48059.html

Performance Custom ********s on the other hand require very specific design application. and skills -to deliver the expected performance and lasting integrity, many of which can be seen in detail at: RCU Bro's Custom rcSurf baords
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...om-boards.html

with well over 100 rcSurf videos, putting words into action: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGF0z9XOc-eCEjP1qQh-aig to enjoy

Bro********- seeking to 'freely' Share the STOKE !..of rcSurfing...IN and OUT of the water

One of my recent 'favorite' sessions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNhMhzNBsYU A closer look...up close..... in detail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98QbEUUiYfY

Last edited by YPC; 08-11-2013 at 02:30 AM. Reason: add 'more' info
Old 08-11-2013, 12:50 PM
YPC

Default Sunday Afternoon session:

Managed to get down to Muizenberg beach for a few good 2-3 ft face waves... late this afternoon.
As usual - even though it was a very chilly afternoon, the beach was social and happening........

Always good fun and a laugh to be had when sharing the STOKE........ !

Nice example of rail to rail surfing : 4:15 into the vide.
Pulled a very nice 'reverse 360' in this session: 4:50 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-t8k88n_9U

Last edited by YPC; 08-11-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:51 AM
bearcave

Originally Posted by Jimi Findrix
Hey Curls,
Are you planning on changing to a flexi-frame for the Dude, like Bro's Gumby doll to minimse breakage?

JIMI
Hi enthusiasts.

Hey Jimi a mate called in last weekend while i was fixin a lawnmower and sanding some fiberglass on my new creation.... after explaining/showing the little boards and how the dude rider flexes to handle the wave forces i mentioned i bought a fully flexy dude from SA to suit my new one.
His first words were... 'you mean like Gumby'.... haha!

ANYWAY its always interesting see'ing the changing world of rcsurfing real and forum wise.
Kyo/nqd era possibly now over except for those that have them and enjoy their characteristics (modified no doubt but still sweet in the little waves hey.. just my opinion and def keepin my ones goin)

btw the only KS board is BarrEls one.... KS himself signated the deck check it out on the OZ ******** site....

Anyway on a serious technical note was wondering if anyone out there has used these plastic in/out watercooling pickups.
I made a similar setup on a kyo and it works well for the motor, the esc has a seperate inlet and punches out the std kyo side outlet.
May work better as a motor only and esc only setup (dual setup not single setup) with only 5mm protrusion into the water...

Any thoughts welcome

Name:	cooling in.out.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1907113  
Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 AM
YPC

Default water cooling

Howzit BC...LOL

I would rather suggest that your water cooling pick ups have at least 10 mm's of reach from the hull surface, down into the water to 'ensure' constant water pressure and flow.Flush water pick ups work well on racing boats running on flat water - but - as you know, the ******** tends to bounce around 'allot' on the ocean surface..and run in aerated water....the longer tubes will certainly 'ensure' better overall water flow.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 AM
bearcave

Cool bro... was thinkin they might be better suited for flat and fast action...
Was also thinkin the extra drag of a 10mm protrusion might help with stallin our ********s for more functionality in sections.....

Rc surfing is just so different to everything else hey!

bc
Old 08-12-2013, 06:17 AM
YPC

BC - for the most of it - the board is running on the pods surface - so I reckon that the 10mm pick ups are not really creating much drag.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM
K-H2o

Water inlets- Sorry I had to give an opinion, I have pickups that only extend the diameter of the tubing so about 4mm or a little over an 1/8" below the bottom surface and cooling is fine. True I have a pretty foiled keel so I am not up bobbing on it a lot, but we are also in 80 degree water. I get longer run times probably in part due to having less drag on my hull. I bend brass tubing in a U shape to get a scoop entry to the water instead of an abrupt 90 .
Best wishes !! KH
Old 08-12-2013, 01:58 PM
YPC

Default Gumby "Bro Dude"

Found this 60's Gumby promo video....the chap is a legend.....Who knows...maybe Bro could pick up the lead roll in a "Gumby goes Surfing" block buster come back movie...LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bl0VqfdRb7k We grew up in SA with a little chap called Morph - perhaps more like the glass over foam style of dudes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jSMRPKM1evk I can offer Gumby T-Shirts to clients now - even Flexible Gumby branding - keeping up with technology.

All for a good laugh Chaps !.....LOL

Name:	Gumby-Pokey-Shirt.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1907308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gumby_Super_Flexible-T.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1907309  

Last edited by YPC; 08-12-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:53 PM
YPC

Default Bro******** e-book Poll

Howzit all !

I have started a Poll on my Bro Custom RCU forum - wanting to realise the enthusiasm for myself to compile a complete DIY Bro******** e-book.

Please pop over and 'make your mark' - it would be great to know the general feeling.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...om-boards.html
Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Hughengland

Aloha Bearcave,

Yes I have used the nylon water cooling, 1 for engine & another for esc. They are mounted on my Stealth Carbon swallowtail, they worked well.
I do not like the water intakes from sticking out too much below board's surface, reduce drag where possible.

Name:	IMG_0508.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	862.3 KB
ID:	1907585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0509.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	875.7 KB
ID:	1907586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	836.3 KB
ID:	1907587  
Old 08-13-2013, 01:37 AM
YPC

Howzit Hugh ..love the carbon job.10+ ...the water units do have a very stream lined look....slik !

A few Q's

1. What is the measured protruding height of the unit from the board surface to the top of the unit ?
  2. Is it plastic or nylon ?
  3. What glue do you use to ensure a good bond ?
  4. What is the narrowest diameter of the actual flow hole ?
  5. How much does a such a unit cost ?
  6. Do you have a link to share where you purchased them ?

Thanks !
Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 AM
bearcave

Here are some rough specs of the water inlet.

Had this one for a while no-idea where it came from but have seen them at ose for a couple of dollars.

Not sure if its plastic or nylon but doesn't look very gluable (Hugh might have some info there) has a small screw in the guts.

Had to laugh seeing the gumby shirt and then remembering Pokey (i think) pink flexy horse... lol

Name:	water inlet.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1907634  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:07 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Great to see the new upgrade on RCU.

Over my years of being involved in Rc Surfing, There has always been "friendly" competition amongst those following threads

and those that are building their own boards with company affiliation. No one ever put down a design, concept or product.

The Rc Surfer's in the water today are performing better than even Jason or Spenser would have imagined.
Better parts, better boards, better figures, bigger ideas to make them even better than they are today.

From "friendly" Competition brings an even better product.

I'm going to talk to YPC on a "Hybrid" Figure I have in mind.
His Flex Core, with my idea of flex foam.

That way we get the strength of the core and a bit more detail
within the flex foam mold process.

Last edited by surfcurls; 08-14-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Jimi Findrix

Love that pic.

That Dude looks like he has been to Hell and back.

JIMI

Last edited by Jimi Findrix; 08-13-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Because I can.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Jimi Findrix

Originally Posted by surfcurls
Great to see the new upgrade on RCU.
Unfortunately, some recent posts on it have taken missteps.

Over my years of being involved in Rc Surfing, There has always been "friendly" competition amongst those following threads
and those that are building their own boards with company affiliation. No one ever put down a design, concept or product.
Those times have changed with the entrance of a new company. Seems they have to put other boards down
to make their own product look better.

I recently saw an example of this, on a thread within the boat forums that showed a picture of a well surfed figure
that Maui John had made and surfed extreme waves with. It was degraded with a picture presenting the fact that
the figure needed a few minor repairs, and only shown for the purpose that this new company made their own figures
that they felt were superior to Mj's.

Wow, Really ? Whatever happened to "friendly" competition, and moreover respect to Maui John that started Custom Built Boards ?

G'day Micro Shredders,

I don't think anyone is deliberately being disrespectful to MJ at all.

The change to foam and glass board construction is certainly not seen as disrespectful to the original designers of the plastic models.
It obviously came about as a result of the desire to overcome the limitations of the production boards. It is simply the EVOLUTION of the craft.

No one can deny that Dom has proven the durability aspect of his design to be far superior to the fixed solid glass and foam figures that often require fixing after a heavy session.
I reckon if someone can come up with a version of the flexi style figure that looks as good or better than the Original Kyosho Dude at a reasonable price they will probably have a lot of very happy customers.

Perhaps in years to come the flexi-frame Surfer figure will be considered as innovative as the change to foam and glass board construction is seen today.

Time will tell.

JIMI

Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 PM
YPC

Default Out of Context !...again...

Curls..once again...you have chosen to take a post of mine 'out of context'...to stir ! and to make it more than what it was intended to be. It is interesting how you can 'discuss' my dude product publicly - give it a negative connotation and play it down to be a simple looking silhouette...not been as authentic and to scale as yours......

The photo I used was published. on another rcSurf forum for all to see. I would say that it speaks volumes for itself and if the owner did not want it to be seen, he would not have published it.
http://www.rc*********.com/post1501....879cb9a8#p1501

The only reason for the use of the picture in my post ( which is very much a Tech talk post) was to compare the 'durability' and lasting look of a 'glass over foam' dude to a 'flexible core dude' ( such as my design - a first and only if you are keeping notes)
I made 'no mention' of who the board/dude belonged to. If anything, I would say 'you' just blew his cover....
I also think you are overrating the ' first to build a custom board fact'....surely others like Jason Hall had to have built quite a few custom boards, way before they licensed production boards to be manufactured....

I'll be very happy to follow the moderators instructions on this one....
Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Hughengland

Aloha Jimi,

Well said about custom made figures and other figures.
Surfcurls seems to try to "bait" Dom into negative situations - drop the egos so we can all have more fun with these exchanges.
No waves in Hawaii

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.