Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 03:58 AM
Jimi Findrix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porky Pig,
I am probably not even gettin' close to guessng. LOL

JIMI
Old 08-24-2013, 05:57 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Ok, Here's some New Clues for what's up
since the World Enquirer has emailed Me.

Mushroom Minds,

Malt Shake Times

Resin with cloth to the Jet Drive thought. Positive Rocker Tail is in. Negatives are much too thin.
Flex Core, Flex Foam & Plasti Dip is now the norm.

The rest are simple to Sea. Like putting together a puzzle so Easily.

Per J, Curly Bub X 3
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mushroom foam 003.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	996.5 KB
ID:	1912523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mushroom foam 006.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	993.5 KB
ID:	1912532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mushroom foam 008.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1912540  

Last edited by surfcurls; 08-24-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:07 PM
YPC

Default Saturday evening session !

Had another session down at Fishoek - 2-3 ft face - a few good waves - few nice moves - great folk to share it with !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22EXh6PXGNQ
Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 PM
RC Resinator

I have a #6 for Jimis rc surfing history list. Or is it #4. Anyway it is before noise and ego. Kite has some how compressed all the information here, all 287 pages, into a well organized, user friendly format , that most hardcore builders post. This was created by the most technical Rc surfer builder out there. He has a step by step thread that shows you exactly how he made his unbelievable ********s. As far as I know Kite doesn't sell anything , he does it because he is into rc surfing . Totally humble, most really smart people are, Kite has done an incredible job with Rc*********. You could search for hours and stil find something new to check out. If you have never been to Kites site , check it out , you will be stoked you did! Jimi give him a spot on your list , he has earned it !

Surfcurls, Very Impressive !

Bearcave, could you show a photo of the porkers pod/tail? Lol

Rc Resinator

Last edited by RC Resinator; 08-24-2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Not done yet
Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 PM
RC Resinator

By the way,
Karl has to be the best surfer of the group...professional "real" surfboard shaper...living in Hawaii...photos or no photos...who are we kidding?? I can't what to see what you have been working on!

Rc resinator
Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Jimi Findrix

Res,
No doubt about Kite's building ability and Karl is my favourite RC Surfer ever.

Curls,
Thats's not a "Shroom" it's a "Stool".

JIMI
Old 08-25-2013, 08:04 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimi Findrix
OMG Curly you really are the king.
Nice pic.

I Might have to dust of the plastic fantastic and give the Dude a run.
Bit old school.

JIMI
Hi Jimi,

Hope all is swell.

With the latest developments on Boards Do you think you may go for shaping and glassing
your own custom board. It's Challenging and rewarding at the same time...
Old 08-25-2013, 09:05 PM
YPC

Default Do you do anything else ?

Was recently asked: "Do you do anything else but rcSurf ?".... Good question !....I most certainly do ....

One of the many aspects about rcSurfing which I have come to enjoy is that one can fit it into the busy day ..at the drop of a hat. Most other rc disciplines I have been involved in over the years require planning with others - organisation - venues - and - good conditions......usually a fixed schedule conflicting with family plans...making it very difficult.

Get this - I would only get to race my rcRacing boats a maximum of 40 minutes (8 heats) at a monthly race meeting - I have rcSurfed well over four times that amount of time, over this past week - averaging 'twelve' times as much rc time per month - rcSurfing is a winner !

rcSurfing can be enjoyed most anytime - most any ware - most any conditions - - very convenient ! suitable for busy folk.

Myself as an example: Having four very active sporting kids. This weekend the boys had soccer on Friday afternoon - Kids youth in the evening - Saturday morning Girls had ice - skating i - afternoon - Irish dancing contest - Boys had indoor Skate -Boarding - Sunday morning -Boys had Ice - hockey .... - YET - I have had 'four' awesome surf sessions this past week alone....having the family enjoy it with me..that is the bonus !

Ended the weekend off with a fun 2-3 ft face on-shorish session down at Fishoek -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR5CNwIafZ0 Love the Sound Track ..!

Last edited by YPC; 08-25-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Jimi Findrix

Originally Posted by surfcurls
Hi Jimi,

Hope all is swell.

With the latest developments on Boards Do you think you may go for shaping and glassing
your own custom board. It's Challenging and rewarding at the same time...
No

Name:	_MG_5826.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	1913288  

Last edited by Jimi Findrix; 08-25-2013 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 08-26-2013, 01:54 AM
Jimi Findrix

Surfcurls,

MJ and Kite and Dom all hand shape their boards and are without doubt "Real RC Surfboard Shapers" but your boards are different aren't they ?

Is it true that your cloned V2 blanks are home blown in a mold as some have suggested ?

JIMI

Name:	_MG_7054.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1913331  

Last edited by Jimi Findrix; 08-26-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Add pic
Old 08-26-2013, 08:13 AM
YPC

Default Classic rcSurf wave ...

Often asked the question about what the ideal wave for rcSurfing would be.This video would be a good example of what I reckon 'my ideal' rcSurf wave is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCvh-vEqizw

Last edited by YPC; 08-26-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Saildoggie

Met with MJ at has shop on Saturday, his new boards are unreal!
Kicked off a build for me, 36" Diamond Squash single fin, super stoked!

MJ asked me to dig up an R&D video I took of the longboard nose riding system in use, see link below.
Lot's of additional R&d needed on the longboard concept, just too little time to work on it these days.

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/saild...10582.mp4.html
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 AM
K-H2o

YO- I was taking a little break when the forum was a getting a bit chippy, but saw I was mentioned ---- Mahalo !!
It is hard to be stoked right now. MJ took a lot of enthusiasum with him to Cal. and it has been totally flat for weeks. My new build has been in the work stages for months. ( the last 1/3 becomes work ) I think I have the bugs worked out now and will hopefully be testing soon. This one is by far the most complicated I've tried to build. It uses 4 servos. It may end up being a total flop but we will see, hopefully not ???
Reading up on your going ons has helped get me stoking again!!
Jimi- Great to see back in full swing !!!!

Saildog- Glad yar posting again too !!!

John- Nice new build, I guess it is getting to cold in Cal. to trunk it ?

Aloha, Karl
Old 08-26-2013, 03:07 PM
tunda

Anybody bought any parts from Ed at rcsurfrider?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Jimi Findrix

YPC,

I saw that which once was and now is not. and yet is.

How do you think the V2 cloning is done?

JIMI
Old 08-26-2013, 07:02 PM
tunda

nobody knows this guy Ed Dietrich from rc surfrider?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 PM
K-H2o

Tunda- I have seen that guys website for a lot of years. it was around back when I was first getting into RC surfing, but I have never heard anything on a forum from him or anyone who has made reference to his Co. Basically hops up NQD's and Kyosho's as far as I can tell. Getting one of his or doing your own NQD hop-up might be a good starting place. Thruster fins don't work so I would recommend staying away from that model.

My friend told me there is a really nice left for RC surfin that goes right along the shore on the right conditions, in front of his buddies house in Kaneohe. Do you know where it is ? Welcome to the forum !

Aloha, Karl
Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 PM
tunda

Yes I know that spot.... Who is your friend Dan Kalahiki? Thanks for the info im cleaning the dust off my kyosho lisa to see if she still works.....
Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 PM
YPC

Howzit Karl - I'm so looking forward to 'sea-ing' what you are doing with 'four servo's'.....sounds awesome.....As Ivan says ...if you dont go you will never know"

Howzit JIMI.- I have never 'sea-n' a bare blank of the V2 - can only presume that it is machined from a block of extruded foam...ask for a few pictures !

Howzit Tunda...(one of the early days ******** poster's)...sound like your Bro******** is going to have a few sweet waves to surf .... cant wait to 'sea' a Bro in some Hawaii surf.....it would be good for you to 'get back into the swing' of rcSurfing with the kyhoso board... whilst your build is in progress..
Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 AM
K-H2o

Tunda- My buddy is Paul Moreno, he lives in Wailua but his friend lives in front of the spot, I don't know his name. I lived on North Shore Oahu from 79 to 85. I visited last Nov. there are a bunch of good spots to RC between swells. maybe again this winter.
Aloha, karl

Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 AM
tunda

K-H2o There is a bunch of places to rc surf on the east side of Oahu just gotta look good:-) Lol.......Aloha Kale......
Old 08-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Jimi Findrix

MJ could make clones of his boards with that mushroom foam stuff that Curls clones NQD's with.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:50 PM
YPC

Howzit JIMI...almost didn't recognize your post - it looked so bland without all the colourful signature !

Cloning ? - I have been looking into trying to make my own reproduction blanks of both my Shred'A' and float'er - working closely with my foam supplier who manufactures various kinds of polyurethane foams everyday. As he rightly said. "if it was possible - Surfboard shapers would be doing it already"....by the thousands....all surfboards are either hand shaped or CNC'd....or glass molded then foam blown....

What I have found: Basically - you cannot simply mold a perfectly shaped blank and then just glass over it

The polyurethane two part foam leaves a very 'sealed' layer on its outer surface when removed from the mold. This sealed crust would be a problem for the adhesion of cloth/resin when laminating. Therefore - sanding down of the crust would be necessary - but- not ideal as it will reduce the boards shape and remove the required detail.

The actual curing process of the foam needs to be at a consistent temperature within a specialized mold with accurate controlled bleed off's to ensure 'consistency' in the foams 'density' through out . Most DIY two part foam products would not achieve the consistency of 'density' anyware close to surfboard type foam. Very specialized tooling molds are needed to produce the foam at density's higher than say 40kg's/cube. Density (strength) is all important in a ******** board ,not been able to rely on a stringer for its rigidity. All the strength would be required in the wrapped rails - either side of the housing.

Even when using such specialized tooling molds - the foam still has a tendency to warp and bend slightly when released - which would be a problem for the boards performance.

At best IMHO - One could try to produce an 'Oversize Blank' much like today's surf board blanks being used - but - without the right foam product and specialized molds/process - the result would be a - low density - inconsistent shaped blank- not achieving the required density strength, especially needed to bond the hatch cover studs and rudder post in place... to hold fast under the expected stress....
Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Jimi Findrix

Default V2 Cloning ???

Dom,

Well, I don't believe every V2 is CNC'd.
Maybe the first one was and then he had it glassed by a pro.

I would not be surprised if he just glasses straight over the mushroom foam but if that doesn't work perhaps he makes a fibreglass mold of the pro built "Master Copy" template and then fills it full of the mushroom foam.

Is this a feasible construction method?
Could he then be planning to do this to MJ's shapes & Dudes?

As for the Kyosho Dude clones, he probably tried molding them with the mushroom stuff but we do know he has had problems with them breaking and by the sounds of it he is now working on a glass skeletal core like you use surounded by flex-foam and possibly an outer coating of with that plasti-dip stuff..

Looks quite promising actually.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-F...121/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2AIptpZ2uI

JIMI

Last edited by Jimi Findrix; 08-28-2013 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Add links
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 PM
YPC

Glass fiber molding the skins into a mold... then foam filling the board 'when still in the mold, would be an option - much like the original Kyhoso was built - BUT - its not as easy as it my seem...there are several challenges and limitations that will effect final products integrity. You will still be using the inconsistent low density foam.,.,so bonding integral components will still be a major issue...and you wont have the strength along the rails which is created by the wrapping of the glass fiber layers.

Comparing the above process to 'hand shaping and glassing' - I cant see it being a faster more affordable process - delivering a better looking product....in fact ..it may be even more work and look no where near anything like an authentic glass over foam board.

We only have to look to the Surfboard Industry to realize that there are few options to making a surf board - all of which require - cost - equipment - skills - hard work - which ever way you process it - to deliver an integral product...

If it was easy !.......every one would be doing it ! ...Got to love it .....to do it !

This one is in its final gloss coat stage...really like the 'glass over foam look and feel'.... "Authentic"

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...l#post11594484

Name:	IMG_0411.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1914091   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1914092  

Last edited by YPC; 08-28-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.