Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:30 AM
bearcave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YPC

We only have to look to the Surfboard Industry to realize that there are few options to making a surf board - all of which require - cost - equipment - skills - hard work - which ever way you process it - to deliver an integral product...

If it was easy !.......every one would be doing it !
And that's why rcsurfing is so good.....

Tunda.... Karl knows everything... atm just annoyed his mate went back to SoCal

just oinkin
Old 08-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Jimi Findrix

Default 3D Printing

Hey Dom,
Thanks for your recent discussions concerning possible methods of constructing RC Surfing equipment which came about as a result of RC Resinator's post which stated;

"Keep an eye on MJ, he is on to something big, if he will share anymore."
rc resinator

There is also a "New" technology called 3D printing.
Perhaps MJ intends to try to clone his RC Surfer Hulls and Dudes using 3D printing.
It appears MJ or someone close to him has mentioned the idea to Curls.
Now Curly says he can clone anything.
Whether or not this technology can be used to produce models that perform at or beyond current levels remains to be seen.

Check out a little of what Curls said in a couple of emails he sent to several forum members yesterday;

MJ: I just Copied you for the laughs about it all.
With My Production Methods I can Now Clone Anything. We'll Talk Soon
About The Production Schedule That Will Push Gumby Back To 1960 Lol ...
Once I mastered how the 2lb - 16lb density foam flowed. It's crazy fun and easy with my 3D Printer
I can set a program to make a mold, then it's nearly done.
I will probably go to $300 for just a hull from the curls.

Last edited by Jimi Findrix; 08-29-2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM
K-H2o

Cooling Tubes- Reciently there was some discussion on Watercooling inlets. I just did that step on my new build, and it came out pretty slick so I thought I would do a " how to " on the subject.

Glad I dont know everything, if you did it might be hard to sleep

I was out of the usual 5/32" brass tubing so I thought I would try to bend some 3/16 that I had on hand, hoping I could get it to make the necessary bend. I took the tube taped one end closed and filled it with table salt, then found a solid steel rod that just fit into the tubing. I inserted it about a half inch into the other end and grabed my tourch. Holding up the tubing in my left hand I rested the solid rod on a block of wood I slowly heated the tube in one location and gave a very gentle downward push with my left hand. as it heated it sank and bent. being carful to not overheat or push to much on the tube I moved the tourch on the tubing untill I got the bend I was looking for. ( if you get the tubing glowing red it is to hot and might weaken it )

After my pipes were trimmed and roughed up for glueing. I drilled the hull and 5 min. epoxied them in place. Next glass around on the inside to make a good seal and add strength. I use milled fiberglass and resin mix to fill around the tube and then table lam small squares of glass cloth and pack them around the tubes to finish the job. At the same time I mix a little Aerocil in the fill resin and make some farings behind my inlets. the exaust tubes run behind the intakes and are at a slight angle. having them in this angle helps to evacuate the tube with the water that is passing by.
Bon apetite !!! Aloha, Karl
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0532.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	1914647   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0538.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	1914648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_0546.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1914649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_0542.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1914650  

Last edited by K-H2o; 08-30-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Jimi Findrix

Cool 2 part "Pour Foam" vid (Curly's Mushroom stuff ?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F26eIesDDQg

"Flexible Moulding Foam" vid (possible Flexi - Dude making materials ?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BnBnlbC_kE

Last edited by Jimi Findrix; 08-30-2013 at 02:57 AM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 PM
YPC

Nice work Karl !...very slick .. and well installed to last !

Howzit Jimi ! ... all things can be 'said' to be possible...but ..only believed once actually seen to be done. speaking from my own experience. Having initially intended to produce affordable molded production boards myself - having the experience of producing many many rc racing hulls..I have looked at several options / methods to produce an 'integral' ******** at an affordable price and come up empty handed. One has to acknowledge that Mega companies producing the Kyhoso and NQD .mass production boards..etc.. have also 'thrown in the towel' so to speak - not being able to produce a product that could present the out of the box performance and integrity required and expected to survive the salt water and surf. ( which most of this thread is testimony to)
Looking at the modern Surfboard production systems - if they could mold it and glass it they would. - Boards are either CNC shaped or hand shaped. The only boards that come close to a molded foam /cover system are the 'soft top boards' -Cheapies ! - break easy - repair by replacement - very little performance and integrity.included in the price.

If you want a Quality ******** presently- You have to either pay the justifiable price for a hand shaped Custom ******** board - built by one of the few custom builders who have proven their products work well in the surf.. .or..modify a production board or...look to build one - oneself !

I sell a custom Bro******** board with all hardware for $500 - with a Bro surfer Dude for $600 - Ready to Surf - with all electrics included (excluding radio and batteries) $900 - shipping globally $70 - or -earnestly look to help individuals build their very own by supplying as much information as possible -
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...boards-15.html as well as offer to supply any hardware components that cannot be sourced or manufactured.

This is a vocation to me .....I simply really enjoy 'doing it'

Old 08-30-2013, 03:03 AM
bearcave

Hi K-H2o

Sorry about the know everything thing.... no-body knows everything hey... lol

All my little boards run dual cooling (imo if one blocks up i loose either a motor or esc not both) but was thinkin to make it easy might go a single system, suction of course but through esc then motor on my new have a go at it board.

mj and many run the single system with exhaust out the side (a recent vid showed the water powering out the exhaust too.. looked cool too btw!)

Anyway... imo smooth running shaped tubes for each unit are the go even though its a way more time consuming way to build... in my experience when reverse flushing said tubes after a sand grovell the water comin out was warm....(possibly way warmer if running single system?) and was wondering if you have ever run a single esc then motor system?

Was also wondering what you mean by milled fiberglass... like could i make some of that buy choppin up some glassfibre stuff i already have?

BTW
I dont have a torch anymore but last time i bent brass i heated a length on my gas BBQ burner flames (no plates meat or sauso's at the time.. lol) to a kinda yellow glow just before the red then let it cool... packed with salt i could hand bend it pretty good around various pipe sizes to acheive desired bend... no idea how strong the brass is now but it sure corrodes good without a coat of something resiny.

PS... thinkin latest cooling go came out pretty slick too just oinkin.

All good enthusiasts... and just sayin a popa expanding whatever still needs to be shaped unless a pro shaped your mould...
Old 08-30-2013, 03:38 AM
bearcave

BTW

I'm havin way big probs with sending/receiving personel messages lately, even real public domain ones..... Squeal!

Unless i smell pork and hear oinking might just get back to my cave...

All the best mini surfers... bc
Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 AM
tunda

K-H20 post some pic of that board .............
Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 AM
K-H2o

Cave- I think I got all that, Don't speak Ausie real well. I don't have experience with running one pick-up for both cooling jobs. We are in tropical water and I have always wanted the best possible cooling. It is harder to fit more hoses inside the hatch.

You can make up milled fibers with a scissors and some fiberglass, but what a hastle. it is very short glass fibers like 3mm or shorter. Your supply house should carry it and it is nice to have some other fillers like Aerosil and Microlite to add to resin when you want to thicken it. I thicken with milled fibers when I want strength and the others when I want it light weight.

I'm not sure if you could do the bending on a barbie. It sounds like it. I had a good go this time around so shared my method.

Will post shots of my new board when it is done.

Thanks!! Aloha, Karl
Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Jimi Findrix

Originally Posted by K-H2o
Cave- I think I got all that, Don't speak Ausie real well. .

Will post shots of my new board when it is done.

Thanks!! Aloha, Karl

Hey Karl,
I think BC speaks Bear not Aussie, I usually have to read his posts several times and I am still left wondering.
Bit like Stoolzy's posts but always nice not nasty.

Can't wait to see both your boards when they are done.

JIMI
Old 08-31-2013, 12:40 AM
bearcave

Hi all

I give KH-2o 5 stars for sharin his bending technique... might get some gas for my torch and have a go at this method too.... thanks for the explanation of the milled fiberglass scenario too.

btw i dont bend the pipe on the BBQ i put some wire inside the tube to hold it and just use the flame to do the metal softening thing then later fill with salt and bend... and i don't speak bear i'm just a bit retarded.... lol
Old 08-31-2013, 01:13 AM
bearcave

Originally Posted by RC Resinator
Kite has some how compressed all the information here, all 287 pages, into a well organized, user friendly format ,He has a step by step thread that shows you exactly how he made his unbelievable ********s. As far as I know Kite doesn't sell anything , he does it because he is into rc surfing . Totally humble, most really smart people are, Kite has done an incredible job with Rc*********. You could search for hours and stil find something new to check out. If you have never been to Kites site , check it out , you will be stoked you did!

Bearcave, could you show a photo of the porkers pod/tail? Lol

Rc Resinator
Kite has a great site damn there is some info in there.... patent section regarding kyo/boardsharks interesting read too...

Resinator, here is a pick of the porkers pod/tail..... told you all i was retarded... LOL

Name:	porky tail.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1915025  
Old 08-31-2013, 02:43 AM
YPC

BC - another name for the 'glass fiber shavings is 'cotton flocks' - I use it when mixing up my bonding epoxy used for the drive shaft housing and rudder tube...also in the resin when filling in the initial corners of the POD when layering the cloth over.....

Name:	IMG_0130.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1915031  
Old 08-31-2013, 01:10 PM
YPC

Bro******** Saturdays Surf Session !

2 - 4 ft face - Wind & Rain - a few hollow ones... surfed it !...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fIW7s1odvY a few moments in time

Name:	b2jp.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1915207   Click image for larger version

Name:	b3jg.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1915208   Click image for larger version

Name:	b4jp.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1915209   Click image for larger version

Name:	b5jg.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1915210   Click image for larger version

Name:	b1jg.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1915211   Click image for larger version

Name:	b6jg.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1915212  

Last edited by YPC; 08-31-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Jimi Findrix

Bro,

Your board is great for the type of waves you surf regularly.
Fast, powerful and tough, perfect for them slammin' semi-closeout beachbreak waves.
Too much of that would destroy my little plastic surfers.

Do you have any reef or point breaks nearby that you could film Brosurfer at?
Would really love to see your board in some more cleanly defined peeling type waves if you know some spots.

JIMI

Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 PM
YPC

Howzit JIMI...Thanks !......we do have a few local reef breaks - BUT - as I have mentioned before - if they are 'happening' - surfers are surfing them - pretty much a no go zone - most all our reefs also have much 'kelp' which is not conducive to rcSurfing..

The beach breaks are pretty much my 'only' and 'safe option'.......a few perfect - hollow - peeling off waves would be great to shred sometime .......maybe i'll get lucky one of these fine days !
Old 09-01-2013, 08:47 AM
RC Surfer

Back in the day of making motor cooling tubes winding a 5/32 tube around a 1 1/2 stick seven times we used water and sand in the tube, with the ends sealed, stick it in the freezer overnight and bend it and then thaw it ,sand and water came right out, using a gas car fuel filter that you can unscrew to clean works well when running in the surf.
Later BB
Old 09-01-2013, 10:49 AM
YPC

Default Bro******** - Sunday surf session

We've had much hype the entire week about 'Big Surf' rolling into the bay .... predicting near perfect conditions...just in time for one of our annual local surf events...the Kalk Bay Reef Shoot Out !

Unfortunately.. it was not to be - there was some swell size rolling into the bay- but the wind and actual swell direction were not quite on the button...for the predictions to become a reality - true to form... we rcsurfed what was happening anyway - looking to rack up a few more battery packs on the Bro's R&D log - and - to demonstrate the frustration of surfing in 'far out' swell conditions.... ...not very conducive....

Conditions not conducive for rcSurfing: swell/white water 'too far out'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl6axFEqq3c

Name:	1235387_514750341934357_1938366995_n.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1915425   Click image for larger version

Name:	1236035_514750371934354_400828327_n.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1915426  

Last edited by YPC; 09-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Jimi Findrix

Nice peak in the 2nd pic.
Send Bro out there !

NOW !!! LOL

Go Bro
Old 09-01-2013, 09:46 PM
YPC

Howzit JIMI....Dont I wish I could park Bro in a predictable reef barrel like that .......like taking candy from a kid...

Surfers and Huge heads of kelp everywhere.....leaves fist size dings in actual surf boards..

I'll need LED lights with a pair of night sites to surf spots like this locally....

Name:	1239547_514353205307404_966399757_n.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1915713   Click image for larger version

Name:	1185251_514353671974024_1548330722_n.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1915714   Click image for larger version

Name:	1233460_514353195307405_144833232_n.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1915715  

Last edited by YPC; 09-01-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Jimi Findrix

Me and Luke went to "Pages Beach" and gave the Dudes a run this arvo.
Nothing special but it was fun.
Both our boards were running well and stayed dry but I need to resolder my ESC battery connector which stuffed up after a couple of packs.

JIMI
Old 09-01-2013, 11:54 PM
YPC

So happy to 'SEA' you back in the surf JIMI !.....
Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 AM
bearcave

K-H2o and Bro....
I cut me some fibers (ranging from 1-8mm lol might call em wooly sheep tangles ) out of 6oz cloth and mixed with uv resin, used the mix to fillet my motor mount and battery bulkhead...... awesome knowing the fillets are mostly glass fibres.... was like draggin wet hair out of the plughole of a shower drain hole but... lol

BB.... i have heard of the freezer trip to bend tube too..... but gunna get a gas bottle for my burner like Karl has but just the normal propane bottle ($20) not the MAP Gas yellow bottle... (i hear MAP Gas burns way hot and you can even silver solder with it)... but they want $130 for a bottle and torchburner... Ouch!

Hey Bro..... are you sure that is Kelp?..... them huge floating lumps look more like Sammy Seals offspring from a sexual meeting with Bigfoot
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 AM
YPC

Howzit BC - Big Kelp Heads - not conducive to rcSurfing -and- not great for surfboards at all - huge dings - we have to much Kelp on our coast line - especially on reefs..

Finished up the UK float'er today - runs well !......next we are off to OZ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt1kbbyGKlM

Last edited by YPC; 09-02-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 PM
RC Resinator

Bearcave, your humor keeps me coming back! That porker has a tail a little wide for my taste, but the pod looks just right!

K-H20, looking forward to seeing your current project, 4 servos, wow! MJ said you are the true genius of the group, and easily the best surfer. Have you ever surfed Hanamanu bay? I could never score it going off.

Check out Rc********* MJ posted a few pictures of his barrel riding skills, he pulled out of most of them,saw it with my own eyes!

Rc resinator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.