Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 PM
tunda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dom cant wait to see my board be built........
Old 09-12-2013, 10:52 PM
YPC

Howzit Tunda !.....I will be starting your build on 'Monday'.....just finishing up the OZ board to-day !..two weeks ahead of schedule....

I made a point of recording the days and ours of the OZ build - worked out to 10 days at best - due to the 'twenty one' various curing process's - around 30 hours of labour all in all... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...l#post11606301

Yours will take a bit longer due to the yellow color pigment in the laminate layup - will need a few more process's.. could be done by month end !......as with all the builds - I will keep you up to speed every step of the way !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1919897  

Last edited by YPC; 09-13-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Hughengland

Hugh's update from Maui:
Finally some serious winter North Shore waves, yesterday Wed.
Spoke to Karl & he 'real surfed 10 foot faces - while I worked for Red Bull redoing their warehouse on Maui.
It has been about 1 1/2 months since I rc surfed - mostly due to lack of waves & MJ of course.....
Thursday today & Red Bull cancelled work, so got my golf fix and nearly 2 hours of smaller left over waves from the previous day's swell.
My Kimo, carbon swallow tail worked fantastic and I am all ready for the next series of swells - seems like winter waves may be coming early this year.

Dom:
I am starting to see lots of photos of Angola surf on the internet & facebook - I remember driving up to Eland's Bay & seeing many perfect waves up the Namibian Coast.
The water was sooo cold.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:38 PM
YPC

Howzit Hugh....Elands used to be a great getaway weekend for us !....have not been up there in ages...the West Coast is Rich in classic surf...very desolate...

Happy to hear the surf is rolling in....try and capture some footage...always good 'to SEA'...

Have a great weekend !
Old 09-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Saildoggie

San Clemente rippin' and buildin'!
Got to Maui John's in time catch the end of a fun session him and Larry were having.
Larry gettin' it:

MJ rippin'

My new 36" diamond squash tail looking schweeet!

Got the color scheme worked out, stoked to get this one in the water!

Last edited by Saildoggie; 09-14-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:17 PM
YPC

Saturday Surf Session:

Squeezed in a session between Gymnastic competition and the movies .....always good fum !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R6nGXWeYiU&feature=c4-overview&list=UUGF0z9XOc-eCEjP1qQh-aig
Old 09-15-2013, 08:48 PM
InDaTube

SailDoggie.....
Man, It's been fun watching your board come to life........ It's almost ready, your going to be stoked!!!!!
Thanks for snapping the photos....
Larry
Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Saildoggie

Can't wait!hoping MJ callls me back, I need to know which motor to order on the link he sent me!
It's all painted?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 PM
InDaTube

Hey Dog,
MJ is almost done with the paint..... I think the clear coat is next. It looks KILLER.
I'm pretty sure MJ wants you to get the Leopard 3674 / 1700KV motor with the long 65mm water cooling jacket.
With the 5S batteries the math shows 35,700 RPM's... Perfect.
Larry
Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 PM
YPC

GOT MY 'favorite' RIDE BACK.....

LHD - Ford Explorer V6 4.0L 4 x 4 Auto Track

This has been my most favorite car over the past 15 years - brought in in from Marin County USA back in 1997 - have had so much fun with it - done so many upcountry trips - finally had a gearbox issue sorted - which literally took two years to sort out...

Made a short video 'extracted' from the above video footage demonstrating how durable an aluminium bi-fin is and how simple it is to 'right it' if it happens to bend from any excessive impact. ....In this instance - I hit a branch of kelp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw8xstGCaG8

Name:	IMG_0801.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1921536  
Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 AM
bearcave

Hi enthusiasts

Was wondering if any of you have way's of sealing the open ends of a Lepoard motor i recently purchased... I'm thinkin of just masking tape?

Nice pics Saildoggie!

bc
Old 09-17-2013, 05:38 AM
YPC

what motor did you purchase that you have holes in the back ?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Hughengland

Aloha Bearcave,

I have been using Leopard motors for a few years now and they are "Da Best". I leave the holes open so that I can spray insides with expensive synthetic oils every now and then to ensure that insides and bearings are good & slippery!
I have had my rc surfer engine room fill up with sea water and the Leopard just kept running even underwater - his even impressed MJ.
My battery, ESC, servos etc are all waterproofed (to the best of my ability) but I keep the Leopard ends open so as to make easy flushing and oiling.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 AM
bearcave

Thanks for the info Hughengland

The motor is a Leopard 3650-2450kv.... has the 'y' winding cause i want the engine brake... thought i was getting the sealed end one.

Like your thoughts Hugh. Leaving them open with regular spray lubing might be good and anything in i can get out rather than being in forever.... gotta pull down a couple of Feigo motors off the kyo/nqd soon that need new bearings and can't wait to see what nasty corrosion has been goin on inside them last few years!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 AM
InDaTube

Hi Hugh,
On the topic of sealing the openings on Leopard Motors, Kite has a thread on his website that shows how he uses some tricky sealing tape to seal the motor.
Larry
Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM
YPC

Bro Saturday Surf session.....had some good swell rolling in !

Had snow on 'Table Mountain' this weekend 'again'....looks like a warm day...it was freeezng !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM-WMhJ1SmA

Last edited by YPC; 09-21-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:46 AM
YPC

SNOW ON MOUNTAINS !

Had another very cool surf session to-day ( Sunday) - unfortunately our camera packed up 'again'...must be all the salt air !

Captured a few cool shots on the way to the beach - Cant believe we have SNOW on the mountains surrounding the bay...its really awesome to 'SEA'....

Very blessed to live in the Cape !

Name:	IMG_0564.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1923886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1923887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0558.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	878.7 KB
ID:	1923888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1923889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0560.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1923890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1923891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0562.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1923892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0563.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1923894  

Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM
YPC

Follow the next Bro******** build: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...l#post11622089

This board is having a yellow color pigment added to the resin - giving it that deep authentic glass look.

Name:	IMG_0859.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1924203  
Old 09-28-2013, 07:54 PM
rebelz

Looking to get some boards...
We looked at board shark, nqd, kyosho, surfcurls, bro surfrider and maui
so many choices !
Old 09-28-2013, 09:37 PM
YPC

Howzit rebelz...welcome to the forum...!......tight decision. I would say that it would boil down to 'how much you are willing/wanting to spend' and 'what conditions you are wanting to/have access to - surf'.....ensuring that the board you chose will have the lasting performance and integrity to match it. There is plenty of video footage around of 'most' all the boards you are looking at.... - for you to get a good overview of each boards performance 'in the surf'

Bro'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJM7WTP_XXE Youtube Page:http://www.youtube.com/user/formulaish
Old 09-29-2013, 01:57 AM
bearcave

rebelz

there are only 2 choices

bc
Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 PM
rebelz

Hi bc, thanks for the response. I really like a board shark I saw on a go pro video, got the radio waves down load for the Kyosho
one friend had a board built by surfride, another friend got a modification kit from surfcurl ( they are both satisfied)

I dont have 900 dollars (or more) to spend on toy surfers, so I need to spend more time and less money.
Being an rc guy I know how to make stuff run and know about the places to get parts cheap.
I saw some nqd for about $100 or less. I can probably fix the problems.

What board do you use ?

Reb
Old 09-29-2013, 09:55 PM
YPC

Howzit Rebelz... unfortunately - these ********s are costly which ever way you require one - time & money - two costly commodities - always best to spend the one that is least costly or that we have the most of.....

There are further options:

Here is a link to a plastic production board for only $200 - http://www.trendtimes.com/remote-control-surfer.html and I am sure that there are still quite a few of the various production boards ( second hand) available on e-bay etc at good prices...baring in mind that most all the electrics and running hardware needs to be 'upgraded' to have it surf satisfactorily - so it only matters what the state of the board and surfer is in....I

This ******** forum has plenty of info covering just about every 'upgrade' these mass production boards require. (plenty of info in the first 150 plus pages) - and there are still quite a number of kyhoso/nqd/boardshark mod experienced guys around who could help you further if need be. ...I reckon you would be in for another $200 - making the spend around $400.....plus your time...

Building a DIY Custom board is also an option - depending on your choice of motor/esc/battery combo - you could build a Custom board for as little as $400 - around 40 hours of work - depending on your skill levels. MJ offers a DIY build DVD - and my Bro Custom Forum RCU site http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...om-boards.html covers just about every step - with myself being only a PM away should you need any further info. ...

Here is a video demonstrating the laminating process of a Custom ******** - building and surfing your very own custom built ******** is a rewarding stoke !....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5as1zQ7K8k
Old 09-30-2013, 01:26 AM
bearcave

Hi Reb

Brosurfer has pretty much said the state of affairs with rcsurfing atm in his last two posts...

Btw the Boardsharks has a 'leaning guy' operated by wires and thinkin if the one you saw on the Gopro vid may have been K-H2o's fully customised take on it which is way cool way better and way far from the original.

I have a Boardsharks (guts completely removed running brushless motor) with a std kyosho dude standing just behind the moulded 'feet' of the leaning guy.
Also have a Kyosho 'foam hull' original (brushless motor 10mm fwd and much tail mods) and an NQD plastic (same deal but also glued fiberglass around seam of hull to stop leaks).
They all leak and the decks need extensive strengthening mods to keep them ridgid to stop them leaks.

If you have time not cash any board would be a start but a Brushless watercooled motor and esc are a mandatory mod.... and everything including servo has to be waterproofed cause they will leak!

I've had no money forever and being handy have been modifying for years.... atm i'm making my own one similar size but trying to fix the biggest probs the others had/have.... ie bigger battery space, deck seal leaks, a hull that may not need constant playing with for a good ride, a guy that doesn't break or snap off and get drowned far out at sea and a board upside down that will not self right... etc etc etc...

I hear what you're sayin with the $cost and i did/do enjoy modifying... I can't afford the 'only two choices' either but they are custom made and go well strait from the start.

All the best whatever way you go.... and more you experiment with now will/should help with designing your own eventual custom..!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:45 AM
bearcave

Hey Reb... couple more things.

There are a few new ******** site's/forums out there atm... Kite has one with heaps of info new and old and the Aussie one is pretty cool too.

I've been putting up my efforts in pics and words on both regarding the one i'm building in case others see something they may like to do to their own ones but it has taken me nearly a year to build it.. can't see it wet for another month and it may not go that good either...lol

Anyway remember these comments are just my opinion and many may disagree... Radio Waves is a great vid and much of what is said can be adapted to the nqd/plastic kyo... and salt water even air corrodes everything!

bc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.