Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:46 AM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howzit Indatube....I'm happy to 'sea' that a 120A ESC is doing the trick...have you mentioned the prop diameter / pitch ....and what has your average run-times have been ?
Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 PM
InDaTube

YPC
I have and use two different props.
CNC 3814 Magnalium 7075 propeller - 38mm diameter / 2.05" Pitch
CNC 4214 Magnalium 7075 propeller - 42mm diameter / 2.32" Pitch
My Leopard 3674-1400kv motor / 6S NanoTech 5000mah-25-50C Discharge LiPo setup pull 42mm prop easily and the motor runs cool.
Very smooth power delivery, powerful and punch you just can't believe.

As far as runtimes are concerned, I have monitored only two runs.
First run was using the 42mm Prop - 45 minutes returning with a voltage of 3.7 Volts per cell
Second run using the 42mm Prop - 50 minutes returning with a voltage of 3.65 volts per Cell

Old 11-21-2013, 01:26 AM
YPC

Originally Posted by InDaTube
YPC
I have and use two different props.
CNC 3814 Magnalium 7075 propeller - 38mm diameter / 2.05" Pitch
CNC 4214 Magnalium 7075 propeller - 42mm diameter / 2.32" Pitch
My Leopard 3674-1400kv motor / 6S NanoTech 5000mah-25-50C Discharge LiPo setup pull 42mm prop easily and the motor runs cool.
Very smooth power delivery, powerful and punch you just can't believe.

As far as runtimes are concerned, I have monitored only two runs.
First run was using the 42mm Prop - 45 minutes returning with a voltage of 3.7 Volts per cell
Second run using the 42mm Prop - 50 minutes returning with a voltage of 3.65 volts per Cell

Great info Indatube !......the run times are insane !....it that with 'constant' throttling throughout the session ?
Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 AM
InDaTube

YPC,
Thanks, its fun sharing the spec's of the our stuff.

As for runtimes, of course it's a function of how much throttle you are using during the session.
My style is very similar to a real surfers go out. In the lineup, I wait for the waves I want and very rarely get on the throttle fully.
Thus, my runtimes reflect my style of conserving my battery for surfing waves.
We have also been having fun surfing waves while using the least amount of throttle possible. We call it "Off Throttle" while on the wave .... it's really fun.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:51 PM
Saildoggie

Tube Dude gave me some killer tips and advice, what a fun day, hoping to get the guys out again this weekend!
Starting to get used to the new board and dialing in the right way to surf it, just watching MJ and Tube Dude is amazing, they are beyond dialed in!

Cannot wait t see some of the 300 pics Justin took that morning!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Hughengland

Film work has kept me out of the water for weeks - now ready to shred some winter waves on Maui

Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 PM
InDaTube

Dog,
What a great go out with you guys. Your new Maui RC Surfer is truly an MJ work of art. You are really getting used to its very high level of performance.
As you know, surfing with MJ is a learning experience money can't buy.......
Looking forward to seeing some of the photos taken during the session.
Thanks Dog.... We have a great crew of Maui RC Surfers here in San Clemente.
Larry

Old 11-25-2013, 06:05 PM
InDaTube

Hugh,
Talk about a "Meat Grinder"..... the nose of your board didn't even make it thru that monster thick lip!!!!!
Larry
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Hughengland

Aloha Larry,

Here are 2 frames taken after the thick lip - did just get thru lip - notice that Kimo lost his head on earlier tube ride into the reef!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 PM
InDaTube

Hi to All.....

I thought I would share my experience with the Airtronics MT-4 Telemetry Transmitter and special RX-462 Receiver.

The RX-462 receiver is an optional item that advertises being able to monitor the main motor battery in real time.
Well, if you are using 5S or 6S Lipo batteries....... it doesn't work well. Airtronics engineers told me they never thought anyone would use these large LiPo batteries!!!!
The problem is that the RX-462 will only return to the MT-4 telemetry display a maximum reading of 18.86volts.
Well, being able to see the true main battery voltage right on my transmitter is to me is quite important to make sure I don't hit LVC and in maintaining the health of these very expensive 5S/6S NanoTech Lipo's.
To make a long story, I figured out a way to use the balance plug on the Lipo battery to capture the accurate voltage of a single cell of the battery!!!! I crafted a female connection to the male connector from the battery directly to the RX-462. Bingo, it works perfectly.... returning to the the display of my MT-4 transmitter the voltage of a single cell. For a fully charged 6S battery, that value is 4.20. Now I can see in real time as my battery discharges, when the voltage drops to 3.5 volts...... it's time to come in for a fresh battery. If you are using 5S batteries, you do the same thing, but use a 5S female connector.
Because I always charge my batteries using "Balance Mode" my batteries are well balanced and the returned per cell voltage is quite accurate. Also, using the per cell voltage, you don't have to do the math so much to figure out where you are.
These RC Surfers are so fun to tinker with..........
Special thanks to the engineers at Airtronics for working with me on this issue.
Larry
Old 11-25-2013, 09:42 PM
YPC

The creative use of great adjectives and adverbs has my rcSurfing imagination racing .....would love to 'sea it' all - in action !...how about some 'vidoe' footage guys !....or am I going to have to bore you all with more of my same old - same old !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpZXJUbsazQ
Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Hughengland

Aloha Larry
Hugh only runs his 5S & 6S from balanced 4.2volts/cell down to 3.80volts/cell in a session - but I do kinda dash everywhere to catch the waves.
keeping full charge & good balance - if I do go down to 3.6volts - then I know that battery is on it's way out over time.
I may have to look into your RX462
Surf report says 6-10ft wave faces tomorrow - truck loaded with rc toys & golf clubs - great to be unemployed again!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:17 PM
InDaTube

Hugh,
Truth be told, my magic voltage to bring my model in is 3.7v per cell. Because have so few runs on these 6S batteries, I'm still getting a handle on where I a bringing him in run time and voltage etc.
I'm testing my new RX-462 setup in the morning and will have data that I will share as to the real time performance of the telemetry.
We have stormy, rainy weather coming in the next few days. Hoping to have some sizable waves shortly thereafter. I'm looking forward to surfing InDaTube II in waves that are not 1-2 foot....
Old 11-26-2013, 02:13 AM
YPC

Howzit Hugh / Indatube...all good info being shared..

My take on the low battery voltage scenario ...I have always simply used my esc's LVC as a final 'come in' indicator...In Winter I have it as low as 3.3v/cell....to avoid a cold voltage drop spike.

In much of the research I have done and experience I have had thus far...it is not as much the low voltage - as it is the High Temp that damages the battery...A high amp capacity - good C rated battery - board weight/ motor/ prop combo can manage a fare amount of safe discharge..Our batteries also stay quite cool withing the housing - being so close to the water.....almost water cooled to a small degree.

Most sessions I surf flat out for 20 minutes (using the timer on my radio) - but - if the surf is intense or if I ignore the timer when having a blast - as soon as the LVC kicks in - I back off & hitch a ride on a wave to bring it in...without overloading the battery discharge..

So far - running both 3s and 4s - I can say that I have had well over one hundred charges through the packs and they are all still good to go !

November has been a busy month for us - with our year end Annual school Assessments.......almost all done ...Cant wait to get back into the rcsurfing swing.

Still a few small jobs on my work bench..
Last F1 for 2013....off to Kenya !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1942434  
Old 11-26-2013, 06:52 AM
InDaTube

YPC,
This conversation about LiPo Battery Management has been a good primer on how to care for and extend the life of these expensive components.
Often, when new to RC Surfing the LiPo's suffer from the learning curve for the proper guidelines for use. Most understandingly because RC Surfing is so fun!!!!!!
Summary: Know the proper per cell voltage for LVC... i.e. 4.2v discharging down to 3.7v or so and be aware of your "How long you can surf until LVC kicks in".
Also, as part of your New Board Testing session, taking notes on the above is important because each new board will be different.
It just dawned on me that surfers new to RC Surfing might not fully understand what LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) is, how it works and programming your ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) for the correct LVC value.
YPC...... This might be something you could share with the forum.
Larry

Last edited by InDaTube; 11-26-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Saildoggie

Back down on Saturday, hope to see you Larry! Supposed to have 3' plus surf!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:01 AM
K-H2o

Tubes- On battery maintainance there are a couple more important factors. The 80% discharge rule, so no matter what your LVC is set at when you recharge the battery it should take 80% of the mAh that it is rated for. 5000 mAh battery takes in 4000 mAh. I will go over a little, but stay close to this rule. I use 3.7v for my LVC.
Next is storing at full charge, there is a storage level that batteries like and they will puff if stored at full charge much quicker.
Happy Hunting, KH
Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 PM
YPC

Indatube ....Spot On !

recieved a great mail from Chris in OZ.....just loving the rcSurfing...'addicted'..

gday dominic

still have a blast with bro surfer getting more hooked every day . been getting some great waves up to 5 foot ! he really goes well in offshore winds every day is a new day with different conditions which keeps it interesting . hoping to start tackling some reef breaks soon .

bro really attracts complete strangers to come up and say gday i would say you will get some orders from over here real soon might even order a shred a board for my quiver down the track . will send some video as soon as i get time to take some cheers chris

Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Saildoggie

Much bigger surf yesterday! Maui John and Larry were rippin' it as always!

Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 PM
K-H2o

Saildoggie- Nice looking waves !! a good spot to go makes all the diffrience !!! Keep shreading !!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 AM
bearcave

Originally Posted by K-H2o
On battery maintainance there are a couple more important factors. The 80% discharge rule, so no matter what your LVC is set at when you recharge the battery it should take 80% of the mAh that it is rated for. 5000 mAh battery takes in 4000 mAh. I will go over a little, but stay close to this rule. I use 3.7v for my LVC.
Next is storing at full charge, there is a storage level that batteries like and they will puff if stored at full charge much quicker.

Lipo battery info very good. Trying to keep it that way (bit harder than the Nimh scene hey...!...) but as K-H2o says i've noticed my Lipo's have puffed a bit when stored full charge (thinkin i'm gettin some wave's next day or two but no...) compared to the spare batts in storage voltage mode.....

All good great pics guys ya boards are rippin
Old 12-03-2013, 11:13 AM
InDaTube

InDaTube II at San Clemente
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0120.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	598.9 KB
ID:	1944443  
Old 12-04-2013, 01:57 AM
bearcave

got some time for another quick internetty look see.....

see this nice lip slash pic from InDaTube or should that be InDaSlash......
further looking i see saildoggie has a new 'avatar' pic so click on it but can't see a bigger pic BUT so happy the grinning dog with bikini bum background is still classed as the 'profile' pic

Anyway.... Indatube this pic could be a nice avatar or profile pic for you.... Saildoggie never loose that doggie pic every time i see it i smile....
Old 12-04-2013, 07:50 AM
InDaTube

Thanks Bearcave.......
MJ Snapped that photo, I love it.
I did attach it as my Avatar per your suggestion.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:33 AM
Saildoggie

Here's a little bigger pic of my Avatar just for you Bearcave!

Hoping for some more rippin' at San Clemente this Saturday!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.