Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 PM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howzit RonkyTonk !.....the SUP concept worked really well with Bro even as he is ....

You board looks 'super quick'......just switch the direction of the push pull lever leading to your figures actuating lever.

Thanks for the SNOWBOARD EXPERIENCE - we all ( family) enjoyed the exhilaration down the slopes ,,,,absolutely beautiful serene scenery !
Old 04-24-2014, 03:43 AM
bearcave

ronkytonk
snowboarding calgary canada am so jealous, gopro vision like this wasn't availble my day or i'd be now livin next door to you n wondering why you are bothering doin rc surf behind a wake boat....
btw, prop talks selfrighting n how the dude leans etc etc are important but man, your surfer has no head!... lol
Old 04-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Darkseacret

Great videos Ronky . Can you reverse the surfers
servo on transmitter?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 AM
YPC

I reckon many would / could debate their personal 'preference' between a Production board and a Custom board......horses for courses.....BUT - you cant beat the authentic look and feel of a glass over foam, high gloss custom rc surf board....definitely at the next level ....so well worth the effort !.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qUmQ8dBO78 If you are tempted to give it a go ( highly recommended) ...follow this link for details : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-b...l#post11768555
Old 04-24-2014, 07:13 PM
ronkytonk

I fix the movement by turning the servo arm opposite, it took a little work with the dremmel but everything is turning the way it supposed to. I attached the dudes head and added a GoPro. I can't wait to take it out for second runs!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	1989715  

Last edited by ronkytonk; 04-24-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:14 AM
bearcave

hey ronkytonk i just read the bit in your post about surfer leaning opposite to rudder.... as you have already mechanicaly adjusted the movement prob no use now but like the others have said, somewhere within your transmitter there is provision to 'reverse' the servo's rotation.

In regards to gopro and most vision, the steepness or 'being there' is lost. K-H2o mentioned this before when he was in the tube but the vision suggested he was way ahead of it, much like the steepness of your snow hills doesn't show, except for the rapid acceleration!.

All good lookin fwd to next visions.. btw if the gopro makes the board a bit nose heavy an easy mod is to stick some of that thin lead sheeting plumbers use to waterproof brick walls to roofs under the battery to re-balance the cg
Old 04-25-2014, 03:46 AM
YPC

Just on 1 month of tinkering, between so many other things, including a few great surf session - the SUP Bro build is RTS ( Ready To Surf) ......

Flat water tested this morning....very happy with the performance......using 3s lipo's........ hoping for a surf session this Arvi !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ako_OxYFV-8
Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 PM
YPC

FIRE !!!!!!!.......

Fortunately for me ..... I was at home - my alarm sounded and drew my attention to the workshop...for those of us that think it will never happen.....here is evidence that it sure does..... !!!!!!"....fortunately it was contained to my charging area.

I had checked on the battery charging about 15 minutes prior - all was good ...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1990295   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire .jpg
Views:	277
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1990296   Click image for larger version

Name:	fire 2.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1990297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1990298  
Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 PM
casper1zrc

OMG YPC !

Hope everyone and the shop is OK. Lipo power is great
but I don't like to see this kind of thing happen.
I have heard stories of houses / shops burning down from Lipo.
I'm gonna stick with my safe NiMH...
Old 04-27-2014, 01:52 AM
YPC

Thanks Casper - all is fine - just lost the charger and 3 batteries - could have been worse...imagine some kid charging their batery under the bed .....
Old 04-27-2014, 02:05 AM
bearcave

nasty bro..
hey was it a lipo batt or some other electrical thing that decided to smoke.
i have some of those fiberglass bags recommended to be used when charging lipo batts in case they blow fiery smoke but i never use em..
thinkin maybe i should...?
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 AM
jefahead

Dom, any idea why the fire happened? Was the battery under 3v/cells, or was it swollen prior to charge?

I have a few swollen Nano-tech pack at home, still use them occasionally, but never felt confident about it.

here some shots about my new board prior gloss

Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 AM
jefahead

Bear, you replied so quick, i did not see, will be using the bags from now...
Old 04-27-2014, 02:53 AM
YPC

BC / Jeffa ...the battery was a 4s ....looked absolutely fine .....checked it about 15 minutes before it went up in smoke....

Jeffa.......I like your new build ....very nice tinting ....what are the DIMS of the board and how deep is your housing ?
I've already had two great surf sessions with the SUP Bro.....very happy with its performance....pulls very nice lip slides and seems easier to pull the occasional 360 on the wave face...Lisa- Marie will hopefully join me this Arvi on the high tide to film a few rides...
Old 04-27-2014, 03:35 AM
jefahead

Thanks Dom, both are 24" x 8.5, about 40mm thick, the new one has more deep vee, more nose volume and less tail rocker. Hard to see difference on the picture tho.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:55 AM
YPC

Finally ....in the surf .....not the best of surf ...but showing good promise for the coming Winter swell ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI5hZJUFFBg
Old 04-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Darkseacret

YPC glad you caught it when you did.

1 min test run today gave me a little water in compartment , a little in hull. I think it came from rudder area or possibly from lid screws .? I had electricial taped the main lid seal so I dont think it was there.

Last edited by Darkseacret; 04-27-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Darkseacret

video from today ? I fabbed up a leash for the heavy surf around here !!
http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/Da...f57e8.mp4.html

Last edited by Darkseacret; 04-27-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:06 PM
ronkytonk

Holy Jebus YPC glad everything is all right!!,

Thanks for the tips guys, BUT

I had a chance to get out for a second run on the lake. I was rushing because I had to get home right after work today to get the ankle biters to bed. I brought the RC to work with me and swung by the lake after work for a few minutes. Needless to say I FAILED big time!!

#1 Rule with RC'ing is NEVER RUSH!!

Anyway I missed ONE screw and the Rc Surfer filled up with water out in the lake. Coldest gosh dang swim ever this year for sure... here is an edited version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMJNTKBGnCE Most of the electronics are waterproof, everything seemed to be working when I shut the power down. Fingers crossed everything still works after drying it out.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 PM
ronkytonk

Originally Posted by Darkseacret
video from today ? I fabbed up a leash for the heavy surf around here !!
http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/Da...f57e8.mp4.html
Nice Man
thx for sharing.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:37 PM
Hughengland

Lipo Fires when charging:
Dom - sorry to hear about your lipo fire & thanks for sharing because your story has prompted me to make a weather proof, mobile charging cart that I can wheel out of my workshop into the yard away from any structures that could flame up.
I will then run electrical extension to outside charging unit.
I sometimes charge up to 8 batteries at one time - which would be a big burn!
Suggest others also look into protecting their property from lipo fires.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:06 AM
bearcave

Prob just my rooted computer running windows xp but i now have to sign into RCU all the time and it sucks.
The free forum kite and oz sites work randomly... then i come here and go through the login find the section time consuming crap again.
I have to buy quick time to see darkseacrets vid... therefore i no see it... am so over this cyber bull****....

Anyway. while i can post...

ronkytonk.. never doing anything in a rush works in every world. btw i'm always ready for a swim every time i launch an ******** (hence why i do it more summer than winter lol)

btw if the tail of a sideways ******** is in the water a rudder tilt to dig the tail down will get prop in water tends to get it moving for a maybe self right. Thinking your camera is weighing the board nose heavy this point may not work in your case.. just saying.. lol.. so been there and still go there when its windy.

Jefa... could say more but atm just want to say i like the wooden deck hold down provisions in new board.. cool

And even though the new lipo tech gives us better bang for buck power and weight wise... it does come with more respect time and effort for the charging/discharging scene and the danger present when not done properly or the limitations off mass produced products failing... sometimes with catastrophic outcomes..
Old 04-28-2014, 05:10 AM
bearcave

and isn't it good to see that RCU still can't get Radio Controlled Surfer as a word.

******** is rc serfer faark me how hard is to get that right... even though rcu said it would get it fixed...
Old 04-28-2014, 10:31 AM
YPC

Howzit Hugh ...the fire was an eye opener...no WARNING signs of the potential flame out ....just blew ........like your ' outside ' idea ....prevention is sure better than cure ......

Ronky - as BC said, it could be the camera unbalancing things - or - your board needs more weight to sink down to the rotational axis - centre line !

DS -
boards looking " surf ready " ....

Bro Surfer getting a shot at the ' new build '...he enjoyed it somewhat !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pezxIF0wGDs
Old 04-28-2014, 01:16 PM
YPC

SUP Bro got his board back.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OEnupeDhyg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.