Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 AM
stalyoni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys Im from Sydney Australia and my name is Brendon. Beercave where abouts are you from mate? Im on the northern beaches in sydney

Hey Dom aka YPC (Im Brendon on facebook that has been liking your comments and chatting with you)

I thought I would drop in and see what you think of my new setup. Its been about a year since ive been on this forum.

I have a NQD clone called the bondi surfer girl. I stripped it out and put all my own stuff in it. I had it working last year but the first motor I had in it overheated and ceased. I replaced the motor but then had a problem with the shaft.

Heres a couple of videos of it when it was running last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-AonEXKeE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxxacBbScLQ

you can read in the comments what I was using in it at the time.

Well I got it out the other day and dad put a new motor in it. Its using the stock shaft and stock prop. Im using a coupling from surfcurls to hook up the motor to the shaft. Dad made a custom motor mount for it. Im using a tacon brushless 2858 2618kv motor. We have some hardcase 2s 4000mah lipos on the way. These lipos will be easier to waterproof and should fit snugly in the surfer. I have a 120amp turnigy esc in it. We waterproofed the ESC with silicone. Its using a HTX900 servo for steering but its not working right so I have another 9 gram servo coming with metal gears and should work better. I have epoxied all the seems on the outside and sanded and grinded them down smooth. I have two inlet and two outlet cooling pipes made from brass and drilled through and epoxied into place.

My main question for you all is will this 2858 2618kv motor be ok on the 2s hardcase 4000mah lipos

Im just wondering if it will be quick enough to keep up with the waves? If not I can run some 3s lipos that I have already.

I plan to get it all going this weekend with dad. All the parts should come by friday. The problems I had with it before is that the speed of the 3s lipo made the stock shaft coupling to the motor fail. Also it made the first motor I had overheat. Im hoping with the slower kv motor and lower power lipos 2s it will run more stable.

Im going to use a HK300 hand controller which allows me to turn up or down the speed of the motor. It also allows me to trim up easily.

Would just like some feedback and maybe some ideas that I havent thought of yet to mod this surfer.

Thanks so much

Brendon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140426_171130[1].jpg
Views:	77
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	1991056  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140426_171204[1].jpg (2.42 MB, 15 views)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 PM
K-H2o

Stalyoni- Hey your set up looks like it will go good. The kv and battery combo is about right. 2 cell will be good for small surf and if you are in larger stuff you will probably like the 3 cell. what ends up happening is on 2 cell you will be gunning it harder and you will burn thru 4k mAh pretty fast. It also has a lot to do with the drag in your stuffing tube and the size of prop. about 28 to 30mm should be good.
The best is to have your ship tight from leaks but if you are taking on water I would put the receiver in a balloon. Best of Luck !!

Dom- Motivation to get my charging station in a metal box !!! The stink is the worst if you don't lose everything !!! I shot some old lipos with my pellet gun and seen the results

Aloha, KH
Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM
YPC

Howzit Stalyoni - welcome to the forum !...

In the first vid - a 3900kv motor powered by 3s is a bit ' high' - you could well have shattered (split) the magnet on the shaft...RPM perhaps way to high. You want to stay within the 30 000 rpm limit (Volts X kv) - remember to consider the voltage on a full charge - 3s =12.6 v's = almost 50 000 RPM..coupled to a 3900kv motor...

The second vid was hard to see the performance.....but it sounded like you had the 2618kv motor fitted.

Karl has pretty much answered your question best - the 2s would be a good start..( 22 000 rpm)..working toward the 3s's ( 33 000 rpm).as you iron out all the creases........adjusting the timing through the ESC parameters allows you to advance / retard the RPM - increase / decrease the torque..

In the video below I am running my new SUP Bro board using a 3650 / 2450 kv motor set at 7.5 degrees timing - 3s lipo - 30 mm plastic prop.set up weighing in at 5lbs......I prefer even more punch from the 4s's ( lost mine in the fire)..set the timing down to zero degrees..keep the 30 mm prop....shipment on route - express mail....

Keep us posted on your sessions !......Share the STOKE !

Howzit Karl ....Yeah !...these little Bricks can be quite Nasty !... they deserve to be locked up...I've researched someviews on the safety and even transporting them seems best in an old metal ammo case...

TUESDAY SESSION:

Had 'another ' session with SUP Bro rc Surfer to-day.
The new board is certainly playing out its design expectations.......as I become more accustomed to it......riding out the hollows very smoothly .... pulling quick / responsive lip turns.....nice tail slides, due to the wide square tail.....currently powered by 3s lipo's (lost my 4s's in the fire)...looking forward to 'sea - ing' it rip when powered by the 4s's.....

Love the video sound track - Africa - by Toto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBff71el3ok

Last edited by YPC; 04-29-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:11 AM
YPC

TEST REVIEW

Edited the previous video's to highlight and demonstrate the SUP Bro boards noticeable features - looking forward to getting to know them better and enjoy them in the coming Winter swell .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DeN6YRyJ3g
Old 04-30-2014, 02:21 PM
K-H2o

Technology- Were in the computor age!!! I am watching Hugh on a webcam( http://www.mauiwindcam.com/liveView/sprecks/ )RC Surf while I am writing this. Hugh called me to go but I am waiting for a call to go to help a friend on a carpentry job. So I thought I would check the surf and there he was. He is actually changing batteries right now. To bad it is a only frames not motion it is hard to see his rides. How's the new board ????
Old 04-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Hughengland

Wednesday Maui's North Shore turned up some waves in the 2-5ft range.
- played an early round of golf & then had 2 sessions totaling 8 x 5 cells bricks - feel mentally exhausted.
- my new board just gets better & better!

You can see beach cam on "video mode" by clicking on link on right above picture that says "streaming video"
http://www.mauiwindcam.com/liveView/sprecks/

dug thru some old props from movies I made and got my metal amo case for storing/charging my lipos in
- thanks to the President of USA.

Name:	IMG_2001.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	1991478  

Last edited by Hughengland; 04-30-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:50 PM
YPC

Howzit Karl - Agreed !!!.. technology is just soooo amazing - I am still always amazed how easily we can ' instantly' communicate globally - video / editing our surf footage ( i grew up with Kodak film) - viewing live streaming is just amazing......

Hugh - way to go with the ammo box ... great that the new board is ripping - very cool surf spot you have there......let us know when you are down again and I will dial in to check it out .......

Our Muizenberg wave cam http://www.wavescape.co.za/tools/web...zenberg-2.html I surfed it last night - I stand to the left - unfortunately Cemetery does not have a wave cam.

Who know - one day we may all be able to live stream our surf sessions - awesome thought !

Last edited by YPC; 04-30-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:46 PM
YPC

Thusday Arvi - the swell keeps delivering and SUP Bro just cant hang around the workshop....,,,,,really enjoying discovering this board...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JviwsncS10s
Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Hughengland

Quick picture of Hugh's lipo charging & storage amo boxes:
I had these lipos scattered around my work shed - now got them all stashed in one of my metal amo boxes: 3,4,5 & 6 cell bricks
Used another amo box for actual charging - prevention has to be better than a burn down.
Also had the rare opportunity of holding the Louis Vuitton Cup during a lunch meeting of America Cup folks here on Maui.

Name:	IMG_2006.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	1991860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	1991861  
Old 05-02-2014, 01:41 AM
bearcave

hi hellvan stalyoni long time no hear of was wondering if you were still enthused.

thinkin K-H2o and bro have covered all i could say regarding your bondi blitzer...
i was running a 26 turn brush on my surfers and trying to keep it similar when i went brushless bought a 3650 can size at 2400kv to run on the 7.2v nimh batts then 2s lipo... the 3s i'm now running is more than ample and never fully on it unless its a big fast wave or i'm peakin to get out the back before the sets whitewater me back to shore.
then again i'm usualy surfing under 4' waves.

I live down south of sydney near sutherland but unfortunately too caught up in other stuff to surf or do anything good atm. There are a few other dudes around sydney close to you but.

Check out oz rc surfing at 'rc surfers wordlwide' and kitemans 'rc surf world' for more... hope you enjoy this weekend.

Btw the lipo batt scene is a bit dangerous but so is life when doing anything new or exciting... anyway i've always carried and store my batts in a steel fold out toolbox and may start using the fiberglass sac bags from now on, i was gunna do 4 batts at once and have the charger power supply etc to do it but erring on the side of caution i just charge one at a time at 1c and yeh it takes almost an hour each batt.
I also never discharge them under 3.6v... thanks to a cheapo hk telemetry system..

all good enthusiasts always good reading whats happening..
Old 05-02-2014, 11:18 AM
YPC

Special moment Hugh !....not to many will get their hands on it .....

The love catalyst for
Lisa-Marie Young and myself over the past 20 plus years has certainly been spending many precious moments together - sharing our sports - creating business's - growing our family - Today was no different - Sharing a few amazing moments on the beach together - enjoying something we enjoy - with the one we love - enveloped in Gods creation - just does not get any better - Love You Babe !

still trying to find out which one took my batteries ........
......lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lwm-Y9gWis
Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 PM
YPC

Surf dropped off - weather got cold and windy !...

Simply love the sight and smell of the beach - no matter what the weather - food for the soul - more so - always such a great place to make new friends - cant count the number of wonderful folk we have come to know sharing the
Bro rc Surfer stoke !

As for Lisa-Marie Young braving the cold to film - It must be Love !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL89QL-ON2o
Old 05-05-2014, 12:27 AM
Hughengland

Maui North Shore scheduled have waves in the 6-10ft range Monday.
I did get 3 bricks worth of surfing, this evening in 3-6ft waves at Sugar Cove.
Going to hit same spot again Monday before golf at 11am.
- here are two pictures taken by a guy I met at the beach

Name:	IMG_2020.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1992615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2021.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1992616  

Last edited by Hughengland; 05-05-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 AM
YPC

Some serious 'thick' lip action Hugh !.....look forward to 'sea-ing' a few great pics !....
Old 05-05-2014, 01:45 AM
bearcave

hi enthusiasts

my mate now living in Tasmania sent me another vid with the caption 'ever wondered where Derek Hynd is now'

as we can't ride our rc creations its maybe irrelevent but as i've shared it on my other two favourite sites thinkin it only fair i share it here too.

all the best surfers, all surfing is good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in08uV97QFE
Old 05-05-2014, 01:58 AM
YPC

Howzit BC....lovely stuff...being different - takes courage !

I'm ( slowly) working on a 2 motor/ counter prop project - which may give a simiar look and feel to the ride ........researching the mixing electronics...any help will be appreciated..
Old 05-05-2014, 04:55 AM
stalyoni

just wondering how long I will get out of my 2s 4000mah lipos on a 2858 2618kv motor?

I got the parts today. I replaced the servo and cable tied it in but it was moving around so I used some epoxy to hold it in place. I couldnt test it out as I had to wait for the epoxy to dry. I had to limit the throw as its close to the post but i should have enough steering. I will try and get a video soon when I go back to dads.

The 2s 4000mah lipos are nice and flat and fit in the surfer nicely. They should work well. I didnt get a chance to test them out on the motor yet but they should work ok.

I should be able to get some test runs in this weekend if all goes well.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:15 AM
bearcave

hey Brendon rekon you may get 20mins surfing but maybe only 10mins flat strap... btw not a lot of rudder is needed...
just go for it n let us know what happens

edit..
whoa Brendon just realised goin for it maybe bad with lipo batts.... unlike the nicd nimh batts that get slower n slower then just go flat, lipo batts go like a full charge all time but they don't like being disharged less than 3.6v per cell...

Recomend doin a full blast for 5mins somewhere then bring in and check volts..again and again.. then surfing again and again.
when ya know how long you can run the board without dischargeing too much run your wave times around them times...
or get a hk telemetry system (bit squeezy to get inside hull) or a transmitter that tells you real time volts of the batt while operating.

Lipo's are good but do come with restrictions... !

Last edited by bearcave; 05-06-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 AM
YPC

Classic Surf to-day !....

Been limping on only 3 remaining batteries for the past days... since the fire.....that ship from China best 'hurry up'

Had some clasic rc Surfing surf roll into the bay to-day...

Ran two rather puffed 3s's in this session....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69_mj9kW3nk and....one puffed 4s in this session.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MyUR1uAyMM
Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Zaps

Hello guys!

I have a NQD Lisa Surfer, with original electronic.

I want to upgrade all the electronic (Tx/Rx, servo, esc, motor, battery).
I´m in a doubt about the motor (what I should choose). I´m beginner in this hobby and I´m very confused about what KV, rpm..to choose.

How many rpm is a good choice for this board?

And could you guys advise me options of motors (in Hobbyking) please?

And about the servo, I should choose an option with metal gear, right? And how much of torque (in kgs) is the a good choice?

Best Regards
Old 05-07-2014, 01:27 PM
YPC

One more session - just before Sun down.....because I am Free to...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cju8CLUP3Eg
Old 05-09-2014, 05:58 AM
YPC

Epic Friday session !...

Aqua Blue ocean - Off-Shore Breeze - Triple overhead surf- Nickleback sound - one or two little barerls to cap it - Having it all to oneself - Great way to start the weekend !

Cemetery Beach - False Bay - Cape Town

.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpFPgnaVouw
Old 05-10-2014, 07:45 AM
YPC

Cant Stop ....Addicted !.

After spending the morning in the workshop shaping a new board... - it was time to hit the surf again.

Tide was fairly low - back line to far out - BUT - managed a few good waves in the reform...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LmBYZiC7bw
Old 05-10-2014, 10:44 PM
K-H2o

Hi Zaps- Hows it ?? On your NQD you will want a 3650 or 2860 range motor with 2200 to 2700 kv and about a 30mm prop. For some speed use 3 cell lypo battery, 4500 to 5000 mAh Last time I looked HK did not have any marine motors in this kv range. if you get a 4000 kv motor you will probably burn up something. There are pages in this forum that discuss the NQD mods and on other forums as well.

Have fun !!!
Old 05-11-2014, 12:55 PM
YPC

Happy Mothers Day to all the rc Surfing Mommies !..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwAMrfuulII crafted by one of our local market crafters out of wire and a soda can...

Name:	IMG_0055.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1994502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1994503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0027.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1994504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1994505  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.