Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Check This Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Check This Out

I hope this hasn't been posted here yet, but check this out
http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?...e=post&id=6107

This has been the topic of much discussion in the other forum and has generated a lot of emails to the editor, including one from yours truely
Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Hydro Junkie

Default RE: Check This Out

This was an email sent to the magazine editor by a member of another forum, along with the response. Take it for what it's worth

I can objectively see the humor in a guy having to take a swim to retrieve his boat(page 8), but from the standpoint of giving a general impression of what is a acceptable means to retrieve a boat I must say that we should really try and understand where this is not a good idea at all. the national organizations (IMPBA , NAMBA and APBA) that provide the boating enthusiast/organized racer a set of guidelines for not only racing but also safety, stress without prejudice how unsafe it is to swim out to retrieve a boat. The insurance that is provided through these organizations is absolutely essential and without it we would be without the most essential requirement for organized racing.

Thanks

Name Deleted

his response

Hi Gentlemen--

Thank you for your concern, and the gang up of emails. Iā€™m flattered that so many of you IMPBA boat members actually read a title called ā€˜RC Car Magazineā€™ and that all of you happened to email me at the same time.

I will gladly print one of your emails in ā€œFeedbackā€ next month so that your concerns are voiced to our readers. As Iā€™m sure you all know, we also have a sanctioning body (ROAR) for model car racing as well. While those rules are strictly followed during sanctioned races, when a racer/hobbyist is on his own time, what he does with his car is left to good discretion. We are not sanctioned by IMPBA or NAMBA, and we did what was necessary to retrieve the boat when it flipped as anyone would have done.

We did not race our Blackjack 55 boat, nor are we IMPBA or NAMBA members. On that particular day, we had fun with our boat at a private lake, and when it flipped less than 10 feet off shore and no one was there with a full size boat to help retrieve it. Iā€™m sure this isnā€™t the ideal ā€œsanctioning bodyā€ scenario and youā€™ll be quick to point out that no one should ever run a boat without the ideal support in place, but itā€™s what we had to work with on that day and the photo is simply funny. If none of you can see even the slightest bit of humor in the photo, thatā€™s unfortunate.

Still, I understand the need for rules and a general sense of safety when dealing with RC boats, and I appreciate your concerns. As I mentioned above I will gladly print one of your numerous emails in Feedback in an upcoming issue to address the issue.

Sincerely,
------------
Stephen Bess
Executive Editor, RC Car Magazine
25233 Anza Dr.
Valencia, California 91355
Old 03-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Please people, the editor of this magazine has gotten the point so there is no need for anyone to send him any more "fan mail".
From what I've seen, their next issue will have an apology in it to the boaters and hopefully they will include an article on boat safety.
He was bombarded with a lot of people going overboard with their language and is afraid to go into the forum sites to respond.
He is welcome here as I did send him a respectful e-mail about this matter.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Hydro Junkie

As did I. That is also why I didn't post an email address
Old 03-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We try to promote responsible boating on this site and others so there were quite a few people very upset about it. For a car mag to start carrying articles on boats is a plus to us but peole have felt that using that shot wasn't in good taste. Unfortunately I've seen things in RCBM and on DYI TV's show with Chris Chianelli that also had unsafe practices.
I don't want to see any of my fellow R/C boaters names in the news after having a accident.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:44 PM
kap64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't view it, says I don't have permission.