Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

An Ocean-worthy vessel

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

An Ocean-worthy vessel

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 PM
g0831

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Ocean-worthy vessel

Hello folks,
I'll be heading to Florida on vacation in a few weeks. I'm usually a car or helicopter person, but I'm thinking that now would be a good time to get a boat for some fun. I'd like to find something that I can take in the ocean. Maybe a little jetski type vehicle, gotta be completely waterproof of course. The waves aren't huge, but I'm sure it will get soaked.

My cousin just got an RC surfer. Looks like a Ken doll standing on top of a 14" long board. Little propeller in the back, and a rudder. Says its ocean-worthy, and I think it'll be a blast. I'd like to have something to chase it with.

Failing a boat, I was thinking about some kind of submarine to use in the pool.

I've looked around online but haven't found anything that lists "ocean" as one of its possible terrains. Any of the subs that I've found have bad reviews and seem prone to leaking after just a few minutes of use.

I'd like to stay under $50. I'll be using this for part of the week, then it will go in the closet for a year. So I don't want to spend a lot on it.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that anyone has to offer. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 PM
13BT

Default RE: An Ocean-worthy vessel

for that kind of money, I dont think the boat will keep up with the rc surfing ken doll.
I wouldnt use a model sub in the ocean, unless you wanna lose it.

I have a Nikko cabin cruiser toy that im not afraid of using in the ocean. Its slow but still kinda fun. It has an auto bailing mechanism. The best part about it is its toughness. Even if you get it flooded inside, just take out the batteries and wash it thoroughly with fresh water and leave it out to dry. Ive had my Nikko for years and its still going strong!

I bought it for 10 bucks at a garage sale.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You'd have to spend a few more bucks but the Aquacraft Reef Racer 2 is about the closest that you're going to get. The components are sealed up better than comparable boats and for the price, a lot faster than department store toy boats with the same if not higher price tags.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:08 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Either Robbe or Graupner makes a Seadoo thats rather well sealed, and uses twin contra-rotating props for a drive, another model that uses a water-jet unit. There is a cheap copy of same, seen it for sale on the Mato-Toys site (www.matotoys.com)

Personally, I'd go for something along the lines of a Graupner B24 (that sleek eco-stealth hull) or the copy... if it noses into a breaker, nothing to rip off coming out the other side.

Then again, I'm partial to big... had a Graupner Portofino with twin strudder drives... could almost completely beach it, and still back it off again. Can't wait to see what my 'revised' Dumas 'American Enterprise' can do (52" ocean drill rig tender)

Look over the Enterprise and the Dauntless if you want to build it up, or Grapuner for an ABS hull/deck and great drives. Used, check out the RCU sales area, of course.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:08 PM
g0831

I found the Graupner B24 and the Graupner Phantom on a site, both for $50. Would either of these have any issues with going over/thru waves? I get the impression that the B24 needs flat and open water, since it boasts a speed of 40kmh.

I'd hate to get it out for the first time, and have it snap in to if a small wave comes down on it.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Thin water

I live on the east coast of Florida. I have never seen an RC boat that could run here unless you are talking about in bays and other protected areas. The open ocean at the beach would pile up my 16' boat with a 50 hp on it in seconds if I strayed that close to shore after going out through an inlet. Good luck, I would love to see a video of it but it would not last long unless you have a bunch of power to move it between wave crashings.

JIM
Old 06-03-2007, 05:50 AM
pompebled

ORIGINAL: g0831

I found the Graupner B24 and the Graupner Phantom on a site, both for $50. Would either of these have any issues with going over/thru waves? I get the impression that the B24 needs flat and open water, since it boasts a speed of 40kmh.

I'd hate to get it out for the first time, and have it snap in to if a small wave comes down on it.
undefined

Both hulls will survive a trip on the open ocean is the boat is taped shut completely, once you get salt water inside it's usually a matter of time before everything rusts solid...

Make sure you rinse the boat after a day running with sweet water to remove salt residue.

Personally, I'd feel a lot more comfortable running my boat in the ocean, if all hardware was stainless steel and the boat had a floodchamber for self righting.
It's no fun to see your boat floating upside down, out to sea on the tide...

Regards, Jan.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:31 PM
g0831

We'll be going to Destin, so we'll be in the calm portion of the gulf. Most days the waves don't even break while we are there.