Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

What type of glue for wood hull?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

What type of glue for wood hull?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM
QuickLTD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of glue for wood hull?

Hi everyone. I did a search the forums and didn't really get a clear answer. What type of glue should I be using to join the wood of my hull? I have read that both CAand Epoxys are fine. Is this correct? Anyother type better? Iam scratch building using standard hobby woods (Found a Midwest dealer nearby) with a few 5 galon paint sticks thrown into the mix. Ifeel a little silly even asking about this. Ihave been building plastic models, RC cars/trucks, model railroad and even some RCboats since the mid 80's. This being my first wood hull I really dont have a clue.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
niteshadow

Default RE: What type of glue for wood hull?

Hi i am building a atlas van lines hydroplane u-1 kit #1314 by dumas.
glue im using is 30 minutes slow-cure epoxy
and im using 30 minute slow cure hardener.
by pm hanson ltd
i bought this a t my hobby shop in duncan b.c. canada
also when its dry i use lepages easy flow system carpenters glue,cabinets makers quality,bonds with 2 tons of strenght,high initial tack,excellent sandibility.
i use this on top of epoxy when its dry
[email protected]
Old 05-09-2011, 04:05 PM
blizard05

I use titebond 2, then coat with epoxy Larry
Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 AM
advanced builder

I use all of the above. Also 5 min epoxy. 5 min will react with nitro so I seal all 5 min with a coat of 30 min over the top. or keep 5min out of the engine bay. The longer the the setup time the harder the bond. Or 5 min is good on ply. I use Ca on the framing. 30 min on all ply to framing. The Dumas ply is kinda cheap. I replaced all transom with a better grade of ply. same as the turn fin ply. Hobby lobby or your local hobby shop has better plywood. If the transom is set then lay over a good grade of ply on the transom use a 1/32 ply on the inside of the transom. The bolt's and washers will not indent the Dumas ply. Same thing on the strut, use better ply on the floor doubler.
PS I replaced all stringers in the transom bay so I could add a long thin small screw ,holding down the transom. Then I covered up the screws with another sheet of ply. 1/4 " total wood on the transom.
I 'm talking the .67 hull. The smaller hulls don't need as much reinforcing.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 AM
QuickLTD

Thanks for the help guys
Old 05-10-2011, 09:13 AM
TCHedOff

Well, I'll be... thought I was the only one that used wood glue to glue wood (titebond)!!

The wood to wood bonding is superior in strength to epoxy (glue t pieces with each, and try breaking apart.... the epoxied pices iwll break along the glue line... the titebond, the wood itself comes aprt before the bond gives way.)

I figured if it is properly sealed from water, then wood glue will be fine. So far no issues; I do use the exterior version of titebond.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have to agree with Advanced Builder, REPLACE OR REFACE THE TRANSOM, THE SPONSON TRANSOM AND THE STRUT DOUBLER
These areas take lots of abuse and the mahogany ply supplied isn't up to the task of handling it without caving in at best. What I also discovered is that the mahogany Dumas uses is 3/32 thick and not the advertised 1/8. If it was my boat, I'd replace all the framing with birch, using the kit as templates. You can use thinner materials and effectively make the boat lighter AND STRONGER while keeping the spirit of the kit intact. There are other things I would do as well, if you're interested
Old 05-10-2011, 01:11 PM
blizard05

ORIGINAL: TCHedOff

Well, I'll be... thought I was the only one that used wood glue to glue wood (titebond)!!

The wood to wood bonding is superior in strength to epoxy (glue t pieces with each, and try breaking apart.... the epoxied pices iwll break along the glue line... the titebond, the wood itself comes aprt before the bond gives way.)

I figured if it is properly sealed from water, then wood glue will be fine. So far no issues; I do use the exterior version of titebond.
I have used both type 2 and 3,titebond,like type 2,it sets faster. It is water resistant,not water proof,but our boats are not in the water for a long time.I seal with epoxy, no problems. Built over 20 boats this way. Larry
Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Rich404

I found that 5 minute epoxy is the way to go when joining wood.

I've tried a bunch of epoxy brands in the past but I happen to like the Devcon 5 minute epoxy Gel. The Gel is good because it does not run at all.

-Rich.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 AM
F1TUNNEL

I use most of the glues above-different glue for different job. A good 8-12 hour epoxy for marine use that I use is the West System line of products-can be thinned down no worries and great additives are available to use it as a filler-go to the chemist/drug store and get some large syringes for accurate mixing and applications. There is also another good/handy product Insta-set which is an accelerator for your ca glues-does what name says.
Check out the West System web page for details.