Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Favorite Tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:07 PM
cadmunkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite Tool

I thought it might be interesting to see what peoples favorite boat building tool is. This covers hand tools, power tools, clamps, anything. So tell us what it is and why.

My favorite tool is not really a tool in the way most people would think. I find that Lego is the most expandable tool out there. You can use it as spacers in clamps, build varying height holds and spacers, and can be used to build temporary mounts so you can build the final part with the motor in final position. I use it for all kinds of things I believe it is even structural in one of the boats I have built. I also love to play with it.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Favorite Tool

My favorite thing is duct tape. It fix's everything. LOL
Old 10-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I had LEGO in the workshop I am sure I would end up distracted by it. Wish I had a $ for every lego boat I made over the years (as a kid of course) - Sad that none of them would perform as well as a kids imagination would want them to.

My favorite tools - a tight quarters drill - not much bigger than a dentists drill but great for drilling in spots you cant get your fingers into.

Also a little micro jigsaw (actually the whole tool kit) that is perfect for working on models. The little saw will easly fit between engine rails to cut them down or carve them. Cuts fiberglass like butter but is maneuverable like a very fine jigsaw.

[link=http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Shop_Tools-All-Craftsman_50_pc__Mini_Tool_Set_61312] little mor einfo on the kit that Craftsman no longer offer[/link] []
Old 10-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

It would be a toss up between my Dremel tool and scroll saw. Us them both so much that it's about a draw
Old 10-19-2007, 07:01 AM
LtDoc

I seem to be using a lot of sheet plastic lately. Score the stuff, snap along the score, and end up with a length of plastic that's probably almost the right size, that sort of thingy. I want an infinitely adjustable, 'automatically' re-sizing, very light weight and storable metal-break that will work on almost everything. Oh, and very inexpensive! Anyone know where I can find one? And a winning lottery ticket while I'm 'wishing'? [Find me that winning lottery ticket and I'll worry about the metal-break'!
Hate to say it, but my most used tool is a foot long metal ruler. Call it a 'straight-edge', probably closer to what it's used for...
- 'Doc

Oh! And a new list of 'excuses'!
Old 10-19-2007, 07:30 AM
slivic003

3m 5200 marine sealent !!!! Works great on anything you want to stay put . This stuff will hold a strut on the back of a boat with no screws in it while the boats running !!!! ( I tested it one time ) Down fall ........its a dog to get something loose thats held down by it !!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The dead junior hacksaw blade with a Duct tape handle. Teriffic little pull-saw for close quarters.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My Dremel with a right-angle adapter. I don't know how I did anything without that attachment!
Old 11-23-2007, 04:37 AM
jetpack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite tool is simply any form of abrasives. Without it, building my boats would be impossible and I enjoy the skill it takes to make things perfectly the way they should be, or as close as I can get.

For framing, I use KISS file boards. They are finger nail files found at the drug store. Instead of folding sandpaper to knock the edges and splinters off, a quick rub with one of these and it's taken care of. Excellent control on developing a consistent chamfer. Great for fitting inside the slotted joints also and beveling all the way up to the inside on corners. Perfect for shaping ply formers. Many grades from 80 grit all the way down to ones you can polish out plastic with. You can also use them wet with a little bit of dish soap and block sand metal very nicely, such as rudders without the worry of rounding edges with floppy sandpaper. Great for working down paint lips or drips on epoxy paints, and last a good long time if your not too aggressive and use soapy water whenever possible to keep the loosened grit from destroying the good ones still on the board.

Second favorite would be stone polishing sticks. These are used primarily in working metals. They range in grit same as sandpaper and are actually man-made sharpening stones, but with a weaker binding agent, or could be called "self-sharpening". They wear into the shape you are polishing. Invaluable in working props or simply taking care of any kind of metal burrs left from the manufacture. Tips can be shaped by rubbing down on a flat piece of sandpaper, and oil is used to keep them from cloging. Can also be used as a sanding board for long chamfers and tight corners. They can be considered long-wearing so they can be trusted in staying flat for making surfaces true if cared for. These pick up where steel files leave off.

Third would be scotchbrite pads or polishing creams to form an even finish on metal. Great for after fine sanding or stone work to hide the strokes. All kinds can be found, from billet polish to copper creams. Each will leave its own finish. Copper cream and a scotch bright pad will leave a nice satin sheen, but if used with a soft brush will leave a flat dull look. Fun to experiment with for a final finish.

Abrasives are commonly overlooked as tools, but is always the most common companion in my workshop and as simple as they seem, there can be some time spent learning all its aspects and applications. They are used for each basic mediums that go into my boats, wood and metal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72535.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	809753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99049.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	809754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29183.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	809755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34605.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	809756  
Old 11-23-2007, 06:15 AM
topfuel4430

This would have to be my favorite tool in my shop. Followed closely by my lathe, dremel, and beltsander, in that order.

~James
Old 11-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dremel, with a flex shaft and favorite bits, reinforced cutting wheel, and sanding wheel.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:03 AM
LtDoc

After considerable thought, I've determined that my most used/favorite 'tool' is located on my right hand, the 'pinky'. It's equipped with a slightly longer nail than any of the others and will 'reach' places none of the others will. It's used to satisfy 'urges' such as scratching, testing the hardness of, and what things might be made from (tapping), and for auguring out thingys from places I don't want them. It is part of the original equipment supplied by the manufacturer/designer. Very versatile! Very cheap till you try replacing it.
- 'Doc
Old 11-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My credit card.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:31 PM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Laptop in the shop, so I can yell for help on any forum. lol
Old 11-23-2007, 10:43 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electric screwdriver. Seems like I use one every day.

I also like my pressure cleaner for cleaning the pool area and driveway.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Ultimate48

Dremel
table saw chop saw, cordless drill all DeWalt !

Steve
Old 11-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seriously, the #1 tool for any hobbyist who actually builds something is a Dremel rotary tool. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-25-2007, 06:24 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another vote for a Dremel. Very useful tool.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Earth Surfer

The best tool is not in the tool box or on the bench. It is your brain.

Nice little mill there TopFuel. Have they got a CNC version of that bench top mill? I have not seen that company (or can find "otimum"-) , and I am in the market. Do you have a link to their site?

Thank you.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:08 PM
MORE SPEED

ORIGINAL: Earth Surfer

I have not seen that company (or can find "otimum"-) , and I am in the market.

Thank you.
It says optimum. lol

MORE SPEED
Old 11-30-2007, 01:25 PM
773W

ORIGINAL: Earth Surfer

The best tool is not in the tool box or on the bench. It is your brain.

Nice little mill there TopFuel. Have they got a CNC version of that bench top mill? I have not seen that company (or can find "otimum"-) , and I am in the market. Do you have a link to their site?

Thank you.
I agree with the "brain" being the best tool.... but my fav is still my index finger and my thumb.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:04 PM
topfuel4430

Earth Surfer, yeah its "optimum", they are made in Germany. Very nice quality stuff, not cheap, but typical German precision. I have the matching lathe also. They do make a CNC kit for both the mill and lathe, it runs about 1700.00 euros ($2,250.00 Dollars) for the complete CNC kit, inlcuding stepper motors, controllers and hardware, no software, but thats easy enough to get. I may go CNC, but may not. I do like the manual portion for quick jobs.

The DRO did not come with it, I added it afterwards.

Here is the english site.

http://www.optimum-machines.com/

~James

Old 12-01-2007, 08:45 AM
fuelman8

My favorite tools are clamps!
Any size or configuration have proven themselves for me.