Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

re:jetdrives

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
launchpad51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re:jetdrives

Hello;
I am starting another project and I could use some suggestions on how to do what I want to do.I am starting with a 36" deep vee hull and 2 graupner jet drives,traxxas ev-2 esc jr python trans and receiver.Also I will be installing trim tabs and 2 turn fins.This is something that I have never done so I could use some help with this.I am highly mechanically inclinded and looking forward to accomplish this project.Hopefully spmeone has done this and can give me some suggestions. Thanks
Al
Old 11-19-2007, 03:08 PM
kahnen

Default RE: re:jetdrives

Heres a jet drive thread, bet you can find your answers there, or atleast be able to find others that can tell you the answers.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6523863/tm.htm
Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 PM
blizard05

With jet drive, forget the trim tabs and turn fins.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 PM
launchpad51

Thankyou for the reply;"thats what my wife says to me once in awhile............HA!HA!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 AM
launchpad51

Hello Again;
When you stated to forget the trim tabs and turn fins what would be the reason for that.Are they not needed?This is my first attempt with this conversion so I would need a little help;if you don'tind.How does the jet drives compeciate for the turn fins and the trim tabs?
Thankyou
Al
Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 AM
blizard05

Jet boats stick to the water. when turning they tend to pivit on the water intake. At least the fat ones do.The pump suction holds them down,they can turn in there own legnth, however they don't steer so good when going slow
Old 11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
launchpad51

Hello;
Thankyou very much for the info.I like learning new things each day.I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got any pictures of this boat? What drives you using? ...all that good stuff.

I disagree with the trim tab question, they may not be needed, but you may find the boat better with them, theres no way to tell until you run it. Turn fins I dont recommend, however runners can be helpful. Basically enlarged chines, it'll be like the boat's on rails. But it depends on speed and application. Spin outs can be quite annoying unless theyre on purpose.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
texas_hippie

You won't need the turn fins, and I'm guessing you mean rudders. The jet drives have nozzles that direct the outflow from side to side, thus steering the boat. You need to remember that only forward is needed on your ESC. If you want the boat to back up, you're gonna have to add reversing buckets. The trim tabs, I'm not so sure about. I have the Graupner jet drives on my American Enterprise. The thrust from the drives tends to lift the stern, at higher speeds. Normally, that's what trim tabs would be used for, so I don't see why you'd go to the expense of adding them. If anything, you're going to have to ballast down the stern to get water to the intakes. Before you pick which drives to use, make sure you can get replacement impellors, as they seem to wear out, or break if you pick up twigs and such with the suction intake. One more thing, get the beefiest couplings you can find, preferably ones with a "breakaway", in case of sudden stoppage of the impellor.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Quicksilver
Turn fins I dont recommend, however runners can be helpful. Basically enlarged chines, it'll be like the boat's on rails. But it depends on speed and application. Spin outs can be quite annoying unless theyre on purpose.
Seconded

Reading what the thread starter is considering I personally think that twin pumps on a Vee are going to give you a boat that will likely suck air in one pump through any cornering. Unless you are aiming to modify the rear 1/3rd of the boat to be more of a flat bottom I dont think 2 pumps would be the ideal (though have no experience with the pumps or hull in question).

I have a couple of gas jet boats. They run single pumps which is an easier install than a twin setup for sure. Jet boats are hard to beat for maneuverability at low speeds. Running a reverse bucket on the pump will give you a boat you can drive or reverse in any direction as well as rotate on the spot (no easy feat for most other drive configurations).
Old 12-02-2007, 02:14 AM
launchpad51

Hello;
I do have some pictures,how would I get them to you.Also,the drives are Graupner with stinger 20 turn motors.The radio gear will be a traxxas TQ-2 2channel system.Not sure what servos to use yet.I have a 50 amp esc that I would like to know if it would work with the 2 motors or do I need two?The floor in the boat is not flat so I will more than likely have to build a floor to mount these units on.I put one of the jets to together and I found it interesting.I have to some how set this up so that they are below the water line.I thought that I could have them on an angle but I am not sure.If they are on an angle will the nozzels work that way?How would I set up the steering?
Enough for now.If you would like some pics let me know how to send them,
Thankyou

Al
Old 12-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure who you are trying to get pictures to but if you want to add them to the thread you can click on the link below the text box which will enable you to add files for all to see
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kk26256.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	816901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30722.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	816902  
Old 12-02-2007, 05:38 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

Not sure who you are trying to get pictures to but if you want to add them to the thread you can click on the link below the text box which will enable you to add files for all to see
Not to be rude or anything but you forgot to say in order to load a picture the first thing you have to do is click reply, it's in the top right corner of any post.

Also if it says the file is too large or you just want to change the size, use www.imageshack.us
Old 12-02-2007, 06:21 PM
launchpad51

Hello;
Here are some pics with the boat in question.The red one is the one that I want to convert.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 PM
DRAGONFIRE81M

i have a 31" deep v with two graupner mini jets it is easy to install you can see most of the build on http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6523863/tm.htm but i have a tread just on it to here is a link to a vid of it running its half way after the mini jet v http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsbsIvdWmc that is two 15t 550 motors on two 6 cell 3300 mah batterys it was a good scale speed it really needed a bl set up
Old 12-04-2007, 10:06 PM
launchpad51

Hello there;

I thought I was the only brave person to do this conversion.I checked out the vid;man that sucker flies.I tried to open the link that you sent about installing those mini jet drives.I tried about 7 times and I could not get it to load.Do you have another way to view this.If you would like my email addy to send it to me that way;just let me know.I am installing 2 of those jets in a 36"deep vee hull..One thing I am not sure about is,how do I connect them for steering it?Presently the jets are in the boat but I have some mudding to do to seal it up.Let me know how I can view that build.
Thankyou
Al
Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 AM
DRAGONFIRE81M

you should really go to "The Unofficial all things Jet drive thread" thats the name of the tread its in electric fourm of boats . what drive are you useing from graupner? i hope its not the mini jet . its really to small for this build you really need the 29mm like quicksilver used in his villin . ill post a pic of how i did it but there is a nother way . i did it this way so i could adjust the nozzle to mix the streams has they come out .

here my build tread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62...tm.htm#6299061

Name:	Ki17894.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	818949  
Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 PM
launchpad51

Hello;
Yes,I am using the mini-jet from graupner,but I am using two,with the 600sr motors.Hopefully them both combined should get it up and going,don't know the speed yet.Hope its not to slow;if it is then I will remove the transom and install a new one.Once I do that I will get 1 or 2 jet drives from another company.Would you know of some good jet-drive suppliers?Well its almost time to put this thing together once the motors get here.I just painted the hull,with kandy apple red with a silver metallic over lay.I am going to check out that forum you mentioned.Wil let you know how this project turns out.Never know;it might sink on its maiden voyage,hahaha
Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 PM
texas_hippie

I'm not sure a 600 size motor will fit the mounting plate on those Graupner mini-jets. I'm not positive, but somewhere I think I read that the speed 500's are the biggest they'll take. Here's the site for some other jets by Graupner, that are larger. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jetdrives.htm This is where I got mine, and the service was outstanding!. When you install the transom, be SURE the transom is exactly 90 degrees from the bottom hull planks! Mine was a few degrees off, and I had a big gap to compensate for, a real pain in the butt to deal with. I too have two jet drives installed, and I left room for a third larger one, in the middle, if it was needed. Turns out, the vessel has a very scale speed without the third unit. Not "hell raising" fast, but just what I wanted. The above web site has some bigger units listed. The reversing buckets seem kinda large on the bigger drives, and you may have some problems getting the actuators to squeeze in under the transom lip. You have a choice with the speed controllers. You can run one high amp controller to both motors with a Y-adapter, or go with two seperate ones. Of course, you need forward only controllers, as the reverse buckets are what make the boat back up. I used two ESC's, and wish now that I'd used one of the single, twin motor controllers. (That is, one controller, with outputs for two motors). Keep in touch, enjoy the build, and holler if you need anything. Click on texas_hippie profile, then select my gallery, and you'll find some pics of the kit as it was nearing completion, if you're interested. As I recall, the blog has info on the real vessel.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:20 PM
launchpad51

Hi there;

The mini drives I have are supposed to be able to handle the 600's;thats what I have been told by a tech at Graupner.I found out what you mean by having it at 90 degrees;I had to do some a patch job on it.I will be using one esc that is set up for two motors.I have the traxxas bx-11 marine esc.There is one thing that I am not sure of;how do you get the buckets for reverse to work.The install info says nothing about that.The instructions they sent are not that good.The drives are in and no leaks now.Took 3 dumps in the tub to find them.What size of boat did you install the jets in and what jets did you install?I had a big argument with the people at hobby-lobby about the motors.In there ad page it shows that the motor is attached to the jet which is a 500.No where did it say that the motors are not included.But the other jets state that the motor is a separate cost over and above the cost of the jets.Well;I *****ed enough to them and told them if the motors are not included then there ad is misleading and also false advertizing.After 3 days of me getting at them;they are going to send the two 60's,and I just have to pay for the shipping,which I have no problem doing.So I assume that there ad will probably change now.
I am working on another boat also,it is the Cesa 1882.Got it real cheap and I have spent the last two weeks working on that one.Wife says I have to many on the go.Oh Well!!I went into youtube and checked out this boat there,and they where racing it against a nitro boat and it was beating it,no problem.If you want to check it out go to you tube,click on videos and then type the name of the boat in and check it out.Let me know what you think.
Time to go,will chat again soon.
Wish you and your family
A Merry Christmas
Old 12-12-2007, 11:24 PM
launchpad51

Before I forget,I have a Aquacraft super vee 27 on the way.In ebay someone makes batteries just for this boat.He runs two 4500 mah at 8.4 volts.He had it clocked at 47.5 miles on hour.That is super fast for this boat.Better not turn to quickly.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:42 AM
launchpad51

Hello;
I finally got some pics up.The burgandy one is the boat I am converting over to jet drive.The cat is the wifes and I am not sure what I will do with that yet.To many projects on the do.I finished builing a Cesa 1882(thats not the age) when I bench tested it today all seemed ok.Will know more on the weekend.Whats on the bench right no is a volan catamaran that I got last week.It is on the bench now.No mods,but a nice paint job.I stated with 2 coats of Kustom Kolor base white,two coats of there black,and 2 coats of Kustom Kolor,green/blue/purple flip.I was impressed on the out come.It is dark but a emerald green.Thats the canopy.I will post some more pics later.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL;

Name:	Zx71028.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	829805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72922.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	829806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68312.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	829807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81812.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	829808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu11238.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	829809  
Old 12-20-2007, 01:45 AM
launchpad51

Hello;
I finally got some pics up.The burgandy one is the boat I am converting over to jet drive.The cat is the wifes and I am not sure what I will do with that yet.To many projects on the do.I finished builing a Cesa 1882(thats not the age) when I bench tested it today all seemed ok.Will know more on the weekend.Whats on the bench right no is a volan catamaran that I got last week.It is on the bench now.No mods,but a nice paint job.I stated with 2 coats of Kustom Kolor base white,two coats of there black,and 2 coats of Kustom Kolor,green/blue/purple flip.I was impressed on the out come.It is dark but a emerald green.Thats the canopy.I will post some more pics later.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL;
I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THE BLUE ONE IS SUPER VEE 27 i PAINTED THE CANOPY METALLIC SILVER ALONG THE SIDES THE SAME COLOR.i AM GETTING A OCTURA X440/3 propeller.

Name:	Zx71028.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	829810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72922.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	829811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68312.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	829812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81812.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	829813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu11238.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	829814  
Old 12-21-2007, 03:43 PM
narn

600 is Graupner's name for a 550, and it has caught on with everyone else as well. Their 500 motors are actually 540s.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's boat's pretty nice looking. I think based on the hull shape, you're going to want to read my thread, as well as another thread some of us have started in another section
this is my build thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45...tm.htm#4549478
this is our jet boat thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6523863/tm.htm
My boat is on it's 8th version or so. [sm=tongue_smile.gif] You should read a lot before jumping into this. Being I'm on my 8th version, there's a lot to learn.