Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Lindberg PT-109

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 03:48 PM
Flounder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lindberg PT-109

Has anyone built the Lindberg PT-109 1/32 scale boat? If so, would you recommend it? How about the difficulty level??
Old 04-18-2003, 01:22 AM
BrittB

Default Lindberg PT-109

I built one a few years ago and although it was a good boat, all the running hardware it came with had to be scrapped. I also had to lay up epoxy/ cloth to the inside of the hull as I felt the bond of the motor mounts left too much to be desired. If I were going to do another 1/32 PT boat, I would go with the Dumas.

Here's a picture of the PT at the 2000 San Francisco Regatta.

http://wmunderway.8m.com/gallery4/trafficjam.JPG
Old 04-18-2003, 01:27 AM
Flounder

Default PT boat

Thanks - I was going to buy one on ebay - but I think I'll wait until I find something better.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:33 PM
GMA451

Default Lindberg PT-109 1/32 Scale

I have built the Lindberg 1/32 PT-109 and it is a great kit. I originally purchased four of the kits from a store that had placed them on clearance. I paid $20 each for them! I unfortunately gave three of the kits away as gifts and have now decided to build a second, so I purchased one on ebay for $75! The going price seems to be about $75 to $85, which is about what the retail price was in most hobby stores. Although, I have seen a few sell for >$100, but that is too much for this kit. I am currently building the 48" Dumas PT-109, but the Dumas kits [33" or 48"] are far more complex to build than the Lindberg kit. The Lindberg kit is an easy plastic kit.

Now for the kit. You definitely will want to use different running hardware. This is what I did. Scrap the gear set and motor that comes with the boat. I still used the shafts that came with the boat and Dumas motor. I then installed two 540 electric motors with a Traxxas dual motor electronic speed control, which comes with two standard battery connections, easy to install and operate. Also, I replaced the propellers, since the pitch is the same on both propellers, therefore you cannot counter-rotate them to alleviate engine torque. I used Dumas 1.5" three blade bronze propellers [one left pitch one right pitch]. I later added water cooling jackets on the motors, which are a must. The water cooling jackets I made from 1/8" copper tubing. I also attached a small 12v CPU cooling fan on top of the speed controls radiating fins. One more item, only one since you can't get much more stuff in the hull! I added an automatic bilge pump in the stern of the boat and the boat is fully lighted. The bilge pump and lights operate off a 9.6 volt battery pack in the bow of the boat. The boat needed a little weight in the bow anyway. With this setup the boat really flies and looks great! I have been using 1500mah six cell NiCd packs, but will upgrade to 3000mah nickel metal hydrides soon to increase running time Just one more idea, do not permanently glue the deck to the hull! I used clear silicone and this enables you to remove the deck if you ever need access to the rudder connects or other items in the boat.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:01 AM
reelguy38

Default bilge pump

GMA451 wrote that he installed a bilge pump. do you know where i can get one?
Old 07-24-2003, 05:12 AM
GMA451

Default Lindberg PT-109

The bilge pump is manufactured by RAM Products and I purchased it from Tower Hobbies. It operates on 6-12V and includes an automatic switch, and small light so you know the pump is operating. Just be sure and don't mount the switch too low, or the water will activate the pump even though the water is not yet deep enough in the hull for the pump to prime itself.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Temps

Default Lindberg PT-109

try a robbe pt 15 very nice
Old 11-08-2003, 11:31 AM
tcl

Default RE: Lindberg PT-109

I got my Lindberg from E-Bay. With a lot of T.L.C. I have it running very good. Run times are between 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how heavy the throttle is. I agree that you should scrap the drive train that it comes with. I made mine from 1/8 stock and tubing. I run Prop Shop #1315 (1.3 in dia. X 1.5 in pitch) 3-blade left and right props and are mounted to turn inward instead of outward. This has improved handling in both forward and reverse without any loss of top end speed. Something you may want to try. I have Grunaper U-Joints and are hooked to 2 540 motors for direct drive. I did run into some major heating problems and went to a water cooling sytem. Alum. tubing around both motors and through the speed controller and the problem was solved. The twin pick ups are mounted in front of the rubbers and extend about 1/3 into the prop wash, forcing water into the system, one cools one motor while the other cools the ECS and other motor. Discharge is run out the stern between the mufflers. Looks pretty cool. I run a Futaba PH2 with ECS, (also Futaba, MC230CR that handles 90A forward and 45A reverse. Got this at Tower Hobbies for $80 as a package deal. I run twin 7 cell ni-cad (1800 mah) and both the motors and batteries and set up in parallel. One pack is in front of the motors, the other is behind the motor mount. Balance is not to bad, plus the front battery can be moved fore or aft as needed. Runs with about 1/3 of the hull out of the water, very close to scale.

The hull is not to scale, having to much of a V at the back. Problem is the stern runs to low in the water. I added a chime strip to the hull (check pt photos on web sites) running from the bow to the stern. This was made from 1/8 square balsa and just guled in place. This took care of 2 problems. #1. The boat rides a good inch higher out of the water in the stern area. #2. It also keeps water off the deck and from running into the hull.

Overall, I like the kit. It's been a game of learning, as I'm an ex-car person and boats are a whole lot different. Currently I am working on a Dumas Brooklyn Tug the wife won at our club. THIS IS A LABOR IN PROGRESS but it's taking shape.

Hope this has helped anyone with a Lindberg PT-109.

P.S. I forgot. I also had to raise the rudder tubes about an inch to prevent water coming in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17476.jpg
Views:	1872
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	73235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41932.jpg
Views:	2487
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	73236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23001.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	73237  
Old 11-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

tcl: that is the best looking and set-up Lindberg PT I have seen! Fantastic!

What club do you have in Long Beach? I'm up in Northridge, looking for a club that does scale.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:59 AM
tcl

Thank you KMOT

Our club is Maritime Modelers. We run tugs, pleasure and scale. Only electric, and we don't run super fast electrics. We meet at Cerritos Park every 2nd and 4th Sunday mornings. Cross streets are Del Amo and Broomfield. We will be there today, drilling holes in the water with the PT.

Come on down and check us out.

tcl
Old 01-24-2004, 12:13 PM
bugfanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have built several of these Lindberg PT kits & think they are great! In fact I'm doing another build-up this winter. They are right, toss out the original running gear & lengthen the rudder tubes. I use the Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem motors that come on both forward & reverse so I can have counter-rotating Dumas props. I also use the Traxxas BXL-1 speed control that will use 2 battery packs with 2 motors. This boat will not only run scale but will be very fast! When finished out properly you will have a great running boat!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...em&FVPROFIL=++

http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...009dddf3394795
Old 02-07-2007, 10:52 AM
lrotor

Flounder:
Like other modelers. I have built the Lindbergh PT109. I have had my model for the last 24 years, I believe that's when it was out in the market. I run a two channel radio in it, planning to upgrade to four channel and new drives. "It's a lotta fun". Take care..
Lrotor
Old 11-06-2008, 01:37 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

I know this is an ancient thread...

But has anyone ever considered making it an accurate three-shaft boat?

I realised the spare shaft I have laying about is the same diameter, although its a bit shorter and SAE threaded while the two outer's are metric (I think) I could drop it between the paired outers, and use it for 'silent running' mode like the PT's used, and then when I wanted to make the torpedo run, I could cut the other pair in, and go for broke. If I did it right, I could even have an 'intermediate' high-cruise mode, with just the two outer prop's running.

Thoughts?
Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

3 shafts would be about the only thing accurate on the Lindberg PT boat. It is not very scale. Sure, it looks like an ELCO PT boat but, scalewise, it has many problems.

While slightly smaller at 1/35 scale, the Italeri PT boat is what you want if you want scale accuracy. This is an amazingly detailed kit.

I have both kits. Night and day difference between them if you are looking for a true scale PT boat.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:23 AM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

Well...

For $45 bucks and shipping, it was an economical choice. I'll probably give it a shot w/ the Italery and a refit later, but have many other marine projects on the books first:
[ul][*] Graupmner shark to get watertight & running...[*] Dumas American Enterprise to get seaworthy again (1/2 way through a hull strip)[*] get the Lindberg running.[*] try for that Dumas Dauntless kit...[*] see if I can get my 1/16 LCM-3 frames & keel cut so I can get her afloat too...
[/ul]

And thats ignoring my land projects, and my sole airbourne one, a Graupner delta-wing microlite (SkyFlex #3184)
Old 07-07-2013, 08:28 AM
1sgt

Wow, Pretty good old Thread. I would love to hear from the previous posters on How Their PT boats came out. Thanks for sharing.

Jim
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM
lrotor

I have. Mine is about 30 years old. I have a two channel RC in it. all original. It could use two high torque motors and nocads, other than that is fun to get it gliding on the water. Have fun with it if you get one.