Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Dope and Balsa

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Simon.O.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dope and Balsa

I am sure someone here knows ho all this works.
I recall from my youth that Dad and I used dope, nitro clulose , to strengthen balsa as well as an adhesive to apply silk covering to wings.
The reason I am asking is that I am in the process of building a Balsa FE hydro and am looking to treat / seal the hull prior to painting.
Can anyone tyell me if I am on the wrong track for this as I want to use it as a sealer before priming and then a top coat of spray enamel or acrylic.

Thanks all
Simon.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:35 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Dope and Balsa

It works very well, even better if you use the dope to stick a layer of tissue over the surface.
I would e uncertain as to its ding resistance on a FAST boat - for that a covering of epoxy and glass tissue would be better.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Simon.O.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impact resistance is not my priority on this build. My main concern is sealing the wood before painting.
Have you painted over doped balsa with sucess.
If I can paint and dope then this will be good.
Epoxy is very expensive so I will not be covering a whole hull with it.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:04 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

After a very light sanding, I painted directly with that nice-smelling car touch-in paint from the auto spare shop. (It was a LONG time ago) and got an instant silky smooth finish. It lasted without trouble for about six years, until the cat walked behind it on its shelf and dropped it about seven feet, when it lived separately ever after.
Unless you can guarantee that the water you are going to plane over is completely free of debris, the underside may need a stronger finish.