Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not my best day at the pond

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Not my best day at the pond

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Simon.O.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not my best day at the pond

Have you ever had a day where you went to the lake and realized that this is not your day and you should have stayed at home.?
Today I did.
I packed in the Rigger, Hydro, and Cat into the back of my wagon and off to the pond.
My favourite spot is currently off limits as the swans babies (signets) are under training from the parents and if you are not fully familiar with swans they are very protective of territory and their young.
I went over to the sheltered corner and parked under a big tree as it was just beginning to rain lightly.
Tape down the hatch on the rigger and give a quick control check. Good, into the water and its off like a greased weasel for about 20 metres and stops. What ??? Why ???
There is a light breeze beginning to blow it across the pond. The other side is only accessible from the water, scrub covered near cliff and all that.
It was too far from me to cast a tennis ball with the short pole that I have, I tried !
In goes the tug, it is a twin screw springer with a push frame on the front.
Riggers are very difficult to push forwards.
Upon arrival at the rigger the tug will only respond on one motor. What ?? Why ??
Back to my wagon to get the cat so that it can at least tow the fishing line out and I can get the rigger back. The tug can wait.
The Cat shares a motor with the ……………….you guessed it the rigger.
The hydro was quickly relieved of its motor so the Cat could go to the rescue.
I tied the line to the rear of the cat and off it went while I paid out the line.
Pass the rigger and swing round then back to shore at low speed pulling the rigger backwards. Once the Cat was on the bank I reeled in the rest of the line and in came the rigger.
One down one to go.
By now the wind had shifted a little and the tug was headed for the carpark side of the pond, I was in no mood to sit and wait for its very slow drift so decided to send the cat for another towline pass. Now with a steady drizzle I managed to get the tug back and decided to pack up and go home.

The tug picked up some rubbish in the starboard prop fouling it.
The rx in the rigger is now the chief suspect in this case.

I am reviewing my recovery methods.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:27 AM
Spetz

Default RE: Not my best day at the pond

Seems stressfull but in the end it all worked out ok so it's not so bad
Old 07-29-2008, 04:05 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Not so bad if that's all you had to worry about. I've been into 35% planes for a while, currently have an Aeroworks Yak54. I have just as much money in these planes as we do in the boats....usually more. A bad day at the airfield means the plane usually comes home in a garbage bag. At lease your bad day didn't even scratch your boat! That's one of the reasons I enjoy the floating type of r/c better [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 07-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Davy Jones

On my bad days I fry an esc or something or a northern pike takes a chunk out of the boat so your day wasn't really that bad. As far as boat retrieval, my solution is a full scale powrboat.