Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

post ur weird boating story....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

post ur weird boating story....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:07 PM
wave waker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default post ur weird boating story....

ok guys, yesterday late afternoon i was out in the lake to test my tunnels coz last week when i was in the race all my boats ran crappy[:'(],,btw, when i put the glow plug igniter on the OS .21 OB the engine started [:-]even i didn't crank yet with the starter, it caught me in surprise, then i felt kinda goose bump when i started thinkin' maybe there is some lurking spirit[X(] around me, there's nobody in the lake except me and my lil' dog..

i heard stories way back that they can start the engine by spinning it with their finger...or cranking the engine without a glow plug..

the only way i can think how it happened is probably the piston is in the top dead end and there's a compressed gas between the piston and the botton head that when i ignite it there's a combustion occured theat makes the engine start..

thus this thing happened to u? any other explanation?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:31 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: post ur weird boating story....

That is weird, I'd blame the dog.

Ryan
Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Heres a quick story, one that happened over the summer. I was helping a friend by babysitting their 12 year old son. Of coarse we had to hit the pond as his syes lit up when he walked into my garage and saw all the boats. We went and grabed a Rio and one of my Dreamin's and headed out. I taped a block to the trigger of the Rio and allowed this child to make circles and told him it was almost like driving his r/c toy trucks. After a few almost brushes with the bank he had things under control and I was able to get the Dreamin fired up and started walking to the pond edge. He yells out "Does that boat you have go faster?", I replied "Yes". Suddenly the Rio HE was driving went full bore right in front of me, never turned away from the bank, hit the bank and my Rio was launched 10 feet at least into the air, flipped over and landed like a dart into the grass about 30 feet away. Jaw dropping to the ground, I looked at the boy and he only said "You told me I could go faster!" Somewhere lines of communication fell.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Randall Thomas (IMPBA D-1 and FE Director) showed me a few years ago how he could start his OS OB with just a flip of his fingers but I've seen other engines try to fire up when the ignitor is attached. All it needs is enough fuel in the cylinder and the piston in the right position.
I've got a few stories of my own but I'll save those for later.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:39 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

Well in June this year my son and me were out tuning our first boat a 52 forabuck cat when the port attority camer and told us to leave the pond we were at so no complaint we left and choose to go to the lake side open water .lake ontario .. so we were bombing along the shore and as he was turning around doing a sweep the engine stalled .. so being a dumb ass and not having proper retreaval stuff i thought the waves would just bring it into shore , well needless to say the current took it away :9 .. i got to about my waite and turned around water was too cold and didnt wantto swim for it .. it was 830 pm and lake was empty not a soul on the water , called cops they said im outta luck .i woulda paid them ther wages to retieve it but still no.. so put adds in papers all around and then 11 days later my son calls me at work saying someone found it ..
so go to get it and a guy was in a fishing derby and it was styill in the middle of the lake about 15000 yards from shore full of water but still floating water noodles great ideas .. any ways offered the guy 200 reward and he totally refused it , so got him a case of beer ..
thats my story and huge lesson learned with boating ..
Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 PM
10x8

cyclops1970 - thats tops. I had a similar case where a fellow HUMAN BEING did not want reward but settled on beer. Great stuff. Both beer and your story. Mine did not involve rc but rather foolishly taking a real 2wd on 4wd track. We were in the middle of nowhere, and I mean nowhere, when a fella just walked out of the bush and towed the car out. He had big pigin' dogs and told me not to drink as the law even patrol these bush roads. I told him I was not driving, me mate is and he does not consume whilst driving. Anyway, offered him $$$ and he refused. Offered up my Coopers Pale Ale 6 pack - no problems. Even gave him my seventh. His dogs were big and mean but friendly too.

Peter

Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

I'm just shaking my head on this thread. Jul is asking about weird.. Hhhhmmmmm, makes me wonder if you have looked in a mirror lately there buddy

A quick [link=http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/data/594/JJ1.mpg]VID[/link] of Jimmy Johnson (not NASCAR Jimmy) starting his 7.5 OB by hand. Just might have to redo this vid with sound next time.