Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Airtronics M11 DSS 2.4 GHz Radio System

Hello, I am wondering if this radio is any good for boats and over water? I am thinking of getting this one or the Futaba 3PK 2.4G Fastt.
    Thank you for any input.
    Harold

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Airtronics M11 DSS 2.4 GHz Radio System

I just ordered it to test it out, give me some time to test it & I'll get back to you. It's currently in the mail. With any luck it will arrive in time & I'll try it out this weekend.

I have had no problem with the M11 running the Pro module & receivers, but I have had issues with the standard spektrum receivers.

If you're going to buy a new radio, I'd get the Futaba to be on the safe side, it's a proven performer on water. I had the M11 before I got into boats & have a lot of money sunk in receivers already. If I were to do it over I'd get the Futaba, although I like the feel of the M11 better (which is why I bought it to start with). If only Airtronics made an FHSS for the M11 like they do with their standard 2.4GHz radio.
    The answer is always more power.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harold,
    I think you may probably know that UHF stuff works just fine 'over' water, does terrible 'through' water. Keeping that in mind, most of the 2.4 Ghz systems are great for any R/C stuff except for submarines.
    It's very common that different manufacturers do things just a little differently from each other, offer different 'features', etc. Find the brand that offers the features you want and give it a try. I'm not going to get into the 'brand' debate, they're really not all that different as far as capabilities go (besides, if it ain't Kenwood, you got squat! Right?? )...
    - 'Doc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Dicko, I am not going to be getting the radio for at least a week, so I will be interrested in your tests, please let me know.
    Harold

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Doc, Thank you for the reply, as far as I know most UHF radios work vary good over water, however there is one brand that I here alot of talk about and it also is a 2.4G
    radio that has alot of glitches over water, but works vary good over land.
    Harold

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Duble

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harold, it arrived today. If I get a chance I'll try to test it this coming weekend & let you know.

I'll only be able to test it in 1 boat this weekend (if i get time at all), so i'll do it in the one that glitches the most (FE). When I get time I'll run it in my gas, nitro & FE boats.

Cheers
    Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Jason, Good luck with the new radio, I hope it works vary good for you, I still have not settaled on witch radio I am going to get, I may wait to see how your testing comes out. Thank you
    Harold

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harold,

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, probably won't until after Xmas - mid January now, but I wrote to Airtronics to ask them about it & here is their reply. I'll post this in the gas forum too. My email is the bottom bit.

Hi Jason,

Our MX3 FHSS uses a frequency hopping system, while our M11 DSSS uses a direct sequence system. Many people have used both radios in boats with great success. Our Product Manager advised me that both should work fine, but the MX3 FHSS has a slightly higher power output which would give you a little more range.

-Farrell

To Whom It May Concern:

I have a question regarding the DSS module for the M11 radio. I use my M11 radio with my boats and have in the past used the Spektrum pro module. I have experienced some issues with signal loss and failsafe cut offs with the Spektrum system. I have recently found out that Spektrum do not recommend the use of their product for boating applications. I know that the Futaba FASST system is proven with boats and I believe that your MX3-FHSS is a similar system. I am trying to find out if your DSS module for the M11 is the same as the FHSS system that constantly hops frequencies, or locks onto a frequency like the Spektrum DSM system. From what I understand it is the same as the DSM system, is this correct? Basically I want to know if the Airtronics DSS module is safe to use for boating applications.

Regards
    Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Harold,

I finally had a chance to test it out. I ran the spektrum module on the same outing to make sure I was having issues with it at the time of testing. I tested the Airtronics DSSS setup in a FE boat and a Gas boat on glass and rough water and behind prop wash. NO ISSUES AT ALL!! I'm happy enough with it that I just ordered another receiver & plan on swapping all my boats over to this setup.

Cheers
    Jason

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hello Jason, That is good news, I have not yet got a new radio, still building. Thank you vary much for giving me this report.
    Harold