Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

My first boat kit build.. Sea Queen.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

My first boat kit build.. Sea Queen.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:13 PM
lownslo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My first boat kit build.. Sea Queen.

I have started the painting and things were going well till I started applying the clearcoat. (ALL Krylon products). As you can see in the attached photo things went bad real quick. [>:] There is more detail on this in another post of mine about the paint. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8637793/tm.htm
I have re-grouped and had good success removing and repainting the transom. Fortunately...... that was all I hit with the clearcoat. I am giving up on the Krylon, (see my post above), and going to use Min-Wax, spar, polyU. I did not want to use this because it has a slight yellowing cast when applied. I will have to accept that because I am through fighting this Krylon thing and the crinkling of the paint. On the plus side ...... I didn't do a good job spacing the boat's name, so now I have a 2nd chance!!
lownslo. ..... Bob in Indy.

PS. One of my replies was humorous .... even to me, considering I got into a big mess. He said, "I love the weathering effect on the transom!.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50392.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1178956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc49245.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1178957  
Old 04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Dreamin Hemi

The clearcoat you're using is a lacquer based product. I'm betting the "basecoat" you're using comes from cans also, right? Well thoes cans are probably enamel. Enamel UNDER lacquer is not compatible and will definitely cause your wrinkles. Do you have access to basic spray equipment like a compressor, hose and small spray gun? If so than your guaranteed wrinkle free way out is to use urethane clearcoat, same stuff automakers use and what I use on the boats I sell. NEVER had a wrinkle in the 18 years of painting no matter what was under the clear. By the way, the stuff I'm referring to requires a hardener and dries quickly giving you a final product job like this.........

Name:	Jh16444.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	1178963  
Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 AM
lownslo

I assumed because I was using Krylon clear on top of Krylon color ....... there would be no compatability problem. That was my problem.... I ASSumed Wow..... that clear in your photo is like a mirror!! Unfortunately I don't have a compressor/paint gun, etc. I know that IS the way to go for sure, but my budget is too tight now that I am "off the payroll" and retired. I just repainted and put on the red trim. It should be ok with the Min Wax spar polyU rattle can. (OK means it will have to do)[:-]
lownslo ..... Bob in Indy
Old 04-25-2009, 09:39 AM
lownslo

OK Dreamin' Hemi, ..... And all others following my Sea Queen build, Day Dreamin', is finished! I do have to touch up a couple spots and float it for balance before the maiden cruise. I am pretty picky so I know all the bad areas. Fortunately there are not too many. I was pleasantly surprised how it turned out. Hope you all enjoyed the build.
lownslo ... In Indy.

Name:	Ig12473.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1186858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct17199.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1186859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz15392.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1186860  
Old 04-25-2009, 01:45 PM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, she really looks nice! You did a really nice job finishing her up Bob. Wish I could come and watch her sail around one of your five ponds. You will strap her on to the wagon, just in case won't you?[X(]

Bob in Danville
Old 04-25-2009, 06:20 PM
lownslo

Hi ya Bob,
Thanks for the compliment. Yes ...... I am tossing around a few ideas to anchor the Queen to the stand and wagon so it don't fall off. I am not to worried about the path to the lakes via the sidewalks and blacktop walking paths. It is that last few yards to the ponds over the grass that concerns me. I will come up with something that will hold the boat and not damage the finish or knock off the mast etc.[X(]
lownslo .... Bob in Indy