Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Senior Project custom nitro drag boat

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Senior Project custom nitro drag boat

Old 02-04-2009, 02:28 AM
sportsfreak90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior Project custom nitro drag boat

Hey,
This is my first time on these forums so I'm still new..

For my senior project, I decided to build a replica drag boat of my cousins 18' V-Drive Drag boat.... I wanted to make the boat 1/12th scale and be rc nitro powered... I settled with going nitro only because i've always preferred nitro over electric.... I have almost 80 hours into the plug...and am getting very close to being able to pop a mold off the plug. I should be doing the mold this friday. Let me know what you think...its a different style boat that I haven't seen produced yet so.....yeahh its kinda cool I guess. The maroonish color you see was just spray paint so I could see little dimples or spots that still needed worked to flow with the rest of the boat... Just sprayed it again today with more primer, in hopes of only having one more coat needed after I fix two small spots.

What would you guys suggest doing as far as buying all the parts to make the boat run and operate? I need everything....controller to radio's to the nitro engine and everything... All I have pretty much is the empty boat. I was thinking about buying an Aquacraft Supervee 27 Nitro because I could get it for a reasonable price and it included everything I wanted....price out the door would be about $305 with some extra things like a rechargable glow plug, etc... I attached some pictures just to give you an idea of what i'm building.. thanks for any help.

-Kris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73456.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1127166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74609.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1127167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65248.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1127168  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
sportsfreak90

Default RE: Senior Project custom nitro drag boat

Any suggestions??
Old 02-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Mr.Freeze

I guess that it would depend on the size and weight of the hull, that will be the determining factor as to what engine and hardware to buy. Give us some more details and I'm sure the recomendations will start flying
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ross at speedmaster is a great guy, I am sure he could help you with everything you need. Check tower hobbies for radios, With there discount coupons there pretty hard to beat. Check servo city also, They have some really good servo and radio deals.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:40 AM
sportsfreak90

Approximate hull weight is 3 lbs. 27" long, 11" wide at the widest point, 2.5" deep in the back..
Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 AM
Dreamin Hemi

sportsfreak,
For starters, welcome to RCU! Here you'll find information to just about everything you'll need to make your senior project a success. I teach high school shop/manufacturing classes and my students have done similar projects. Look forward to your progress and hope that you'll be sharing with us!

Also send you a PM

-Scott
Old 02-08-2009, 06:13 AM
Mr.Freeze

Just my opinion, it looks like a .18 will move it out just fine. With that hull design it's not going to want turn well with out a skeg, I would get the smallest center skeg you can get, within reason of course. and set it up like a mini crackerbox. There are a few companies out offering hardware suitable for small nitro's. I would get a srtut like what is used on a miss vegas, and run the stuffing tube out the bottom so you can run the prop submerged or semi submerged, the sv27 uses a stinger drive which wouldn't be suitable, will it work yes but I think in the long run you would get better performance out of the adjustable strut. hope this helps, keep everyone posted on the build
Old 02-08-2009, 03:36 PM
sportsfreak90

Thanks for the info man. I emailed Aquacraft last week and got a response back saying what you said, use the Miss Vegas strut. I figured I'd need a skeg as well because the actual boat has one so I figured the scale version would act almost the same way... I just put my fourth or fifth layer of wax on and am hoping that the mold will release just fine with that many coats..... I've been told I can get away without using a special mold release so, I'm hoping to do so by adding a few extra layers of wax.. Any thoughts on that?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:14 PM
sportsfreak90

Update..

So, three weeks later....... My two mold halves are done and need to be polished now and should be then ready to start making parts from. It has turned out surprising well so far. I have also began to look into the Blackjack 26 SS to take running hardware from. The only extra parts i'd need are the trim tabs/turn fins/skeg I believe....correct? The strut assembly on it isn't like the Supervee's stinger setup..it sits a bit lower in the water and looks clean compared to the miss vegas.. Thoughts on it? Thanks
Old 02-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Where are the pictures??? We NEED pictures!!!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
sportsfreak90

Awww c'mon.. :P

The boats sitting in the back of my friends back garage. I gotta run over and pick it up and pull the two molds off. I used the original mold's flange to make the flange for the second half. Ill get pics tonight hopefully and post them. The only thing left on those molds is to trim around the flange and clean it up..

I'll run and grab it now.. Expect pics in about an hour to an hour and a half....
Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
sportsfreak90

First pic is what happened to the boat when i popped the other half of the mold off....not so good and kinda disappointing but oh well....

On the first boat im going to try to make it a seamless hull to see how that works...

Name:	Rp44206.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1144912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99036.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1144913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91143.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1144914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82145.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1144915   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98214.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1144916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne54277.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1144917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fh80323.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1144918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lk35946.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1144919  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj83206.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1144920  
Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 PM
sportsfreak90

Just got my Supervee 27 Nitro the other day. I'm going to be waxing, gel coating, and fiberglass the official boat here in the next week hopefully. Been busy lately. Any ideas on how to come up with a center skid/skeg/whatever it is.....fin in the middle of the boat about halfway up the hull? Any ideas on placement for it? 6" forward from the transom? 8"? 12"? How big of a fin? Not really sure how big it needs to be..... Thanks!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 PM
nickyszoe

i think you are going to have to put one together and play around with it to get everthing tuned in . look's like a cool little project !!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Dana W

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally Kris I think you ran your seams the wrong way . You may not get a true bottom with the seam running down the center of the hull . You also should have installed some exterior bracing on the molds before pulling them off the plug . I'll be watching your builds .

Name:	Yw66363.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1154924  
Old 03-11-2009, 01:59 AM
sportsfreak90

I didn't have much of a choice with the seams because of the lack of the proper tools.. I asked about 4 other people in the real boating industry and none had an answer. I worked at a boating place for about 3 months where I got a lot of the help from. You'd have to see the inside of the mold, the bottom is still flat. I didn't add bracing because I was told I did not need it based on the way it was cut and the amount of fiberglass used on the mold. The mold needs to produce one boat. Its not going to be perfect, which is fine. I'll take pics of the final boat and post them, I'm sure it'll turn out good enough for a senior project. I've gone about 3 times the requirements to this point, and I haven't produced a final product yet.

I should have run the seam horizontally but wasn't sure how to do so with the lines of the boat......no one really had any suggestions on it.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Dana W

Kris , this photo will give you a good idea where I split my molds . You can contact me anytime if you have questions .

Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 AM
nickyszoe

dana w , do you sell your hull ? do you have a wed page ? what size engine nitro or gas ? how long is it ? nice boat !!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Dana W

Yes I do sell my boats . They're 46" long and designed for gas engines . You can PM me and I'll give you all the info.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 PM
misshydro

Dana do you have any drag hydros?[&:]
Old 03-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Dana W

No , I just make the runner bottom & two deep v's
Old 03-14-2009, 02:45 PM
radioboatman

How much work would it be to design for nitro? Great looking! Would like to see finished product.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:25 PM
radiocontrolledboats

That looks like a great build. I can't wait to see the finished product.