Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cheap prop balancer!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Cheap prop balancer!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:46 AM
lownslo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap prop balancer!

First of all ..... this is not my idea. Username danielplace, in my original post, told me about this type balancer...... and THANKS.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8497478/tm.htm
This was virtuatlly made for nothing by using scrap wood that I pack-rat away. My prop is 70 mm and the hole is threaded and NOT all the way through. My prop shaft is more than long enough to keep the shaft balanced across both razor blades. This will cheaply give me a balancer that will be more than enough since I am not in racing or competition.
Thanks again Dan,
lownslo ..... Bob in Indy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64600.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	1141154  
Old 02-21-2009, 09:10 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Cheap prop balancer!

Cool.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2009, 09:42 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

you might want to check the balance of all that hardware before you start grinding on your prop.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I started out I used a piece of 1/4" brass tube and would use the edge of a drinking glass or sauce pan (Careful using saucepan if your wife is around). It will get you pretty close. Cost about $1 for the tube.

Thing I dont like about the balancer with the razor edges is the razor edges - you know they are going to draw blood at some point in their lives in the shop.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:33 PM
danielplace

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

When I started out I used a piece of 1/4" brass tube and would use the edge of a drinking glass or sauce pan (Careful using saucepan if your wife is around). It will get you pretty close. Cost about $1 for the tube.

Thing I dont like about the balancer with the razor edges is the razor edges - you know they are going to draw blood at some point in their lives in the shop.
Yes you have a good point best to hit up the kitchen for a solid plastic container and religiously store it in that up on a shelf somewhere or it will inevitably get you.

Thanks Daniel
Old 02-22-2009, 05:32 AM
lownslo

I was going to add the split fuel line tubing over the blades for a second photo........ but did not. You are correct. It will draw blood![:-]
lownslo
Old 02-22-2009, 05:35 AM
lownslo

black talon, What do you mean by "all that hardware"? Remember....... I am new to boats. Do you mean the prop shaft? The boat is large and has a 17 inch prop shaft. I laid the prop shaft on the balancer and it consistantly went to the same spot, marked with a Sharpie. I realize the shaft, being so long, could be bent slightly. I used to straighten aluminum arrow shafts, (even by hand), when I was shooting target leagues, and this looks real true. I have a plate glass top on part of my bench and it rolled as true as my eyes could see. One blade on my 3 blade prop is heavy, and so far filing has not helped. I lined up this heavy blade with the "alleged light side" of my drive shaft, but did not see a difference in balance. (Figureing there would be a little change anyway. If I keep filing I will have a 2 1/2 blade prop. Kiddin' ..... but I am keeping an eye on comparison with the other blades. Remember ..... I am not into competition or racing, but I know I don't want to run with this balance as it is now.
Thanks ..... lownslo
Bob in Indy