Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

It can't be this complicated.... can it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

It can't be this complicated.... can it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 AM
lownslo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It can't be this complicated.... can it?

It wont be long and I will be making a paint choice for the hull of my Sea Queen. Assumming the finishing resin and surface is ready for primer I need to select products. I did a search in RCU, and the more I read the more I was confused. I also went to some manufacturer's sites. (Example: On a manufacturer's site they noted for poly-u .......... "for use ABOVE water line").
So here is the deal. ........I don't have spray equipment and need to use rattle can paint and primer. I want to stay with one brand and type to eliminate an incompatabilty I looked at some epoxy paints. Kind of expensive .... AND mostly white. That is just fine, but they did not mention type of primer .......... AND below the water line the color will be a royal or true blue. I saw no epoxy paint that color.
I was thinking of buying all Krylon products in their regular paint line ..... primer, the white, and the royal blue. Then I would use their crystal clear as the top coat. Have any of you used the all the Krylon products as I have mentioned? Do they hold up well for the hull in water?
Thanks in advance,
lownslo ..... Bob in Indy
Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: It can't be this complicated.... can it?

Unless your boat is going to be treated like a real one, spending 99% of it time sitting in water rather than 99% on a shelf, any outdoor paint will be fine as long as it will lay comfortably over the preceding coats.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi
i just got done using rust-oleum white for my cc work out great and then i am going to use crystal clear rust-oleum as for prime the same they have a sandable prime for cars i like it better then the airplane paint i was using and now you cant get it in all colors anymore ,if you spray lite coats and let it dye end between coats it really looks go and dye fast in 15 m to the touch 24 hours to sand if you want to i didnt need to sand it turn out great there where some fussys but all i did was rub them off with my hand put on some pinstipping and now i am going to clear coat ill post a finish picture later as for hold up i did a boat for a freind last year and no leaks and still looks new thanks rye
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37104.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1163204  
Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 AM
dbm0011

Lownslo -
"I don't have spray equipment and need to use rattle can paint and primer." I went to E&M Paint and Supply and found a reusable spray device. It utilizes CO2 cannisters. Use mix up the paint and add hardener and spray away. Cost was $50? I think.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:06 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi
do you have a web page for them , thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 07:46 PM
dbm0011

http://www.emautosupply.com/