Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: new to boats

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

new to boats

hey guys i usually do rc cars but switching over to boats. but alot of boats to see are rtrs. i want some kits. where are some good fun kits that are easy to start with?
    TRAXXAS-Stampede, 4tec
    TAMIYA-Pajero,midnight pumpkin, super hornet,Team Associated rc10t

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: new to boats

I am really not sure how big you want to go, or what you consider easy? but if you want to build wood and like the looks of a crackerbox you might try the ones made by ZIPPKITS. Its pretty straight forward with a nice instruction book. its easy to find much more complicated builds. In the end its what interests you that will be the easiest.
    I built the I box from ZIPPKITS, and other than getting my driveshaft wrong the first couple tries it built pretty easy...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NjBasher

hey guys i usually do rc cars but switching over to boats. but alot of boats to see are rtrs. i want some kits. where are some good fun kits that are easy to start with?
    How about you start off with your budget. These boats can start in the couple hundred dollar range and go into the thousands. Another thing to consider is where do you plan to use this boat.....ocean, pond? Just need all the pieces to lead you in the right direction. The budget is #1 and your experience comes in second.
    These opinions expressed here are my own and may not necessarily represent the views of RCUniverse.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I totally agree that budget comes first...don't go crazy with something that you can't afford. This is a hobby..remember?
    That being said, your skill level really comes into play. Almost any manufacturer has kits available for you to build your own boat...it's up to you to decide how much of the work you want to do!

Good luck to you...sounds like you have some great expectations!
    Owner - RadioControlledBoating

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah i would like to build a wooden boat kit. something that looks pretty scale. but not a static display model i want the rc. i guess maybe for the kit anywhere from 100-200 dollars for the kit only.
    TRAXXAS-Stampede, 4tec
    TAMIYA-Pajero,midnight pumpkin, super hornet,Team Associated rc10t

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just finished a .12 JAP rigger - plans are free: wood costs ($30), .12 Novarossi engine ($165) 2-servos ($60), car header ($15), pipe ($40), flexshaft/propshaft ($25 premade); prop s/b ($40) and strut (is optional - $30); epoxy ($30); 60% fuel $(40) - thats @ $500 - and several of these costs can be lowered if you do yourself. But that is about as "budget" as it gets.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

depending on how creative you are and if you have experience modifying things,
    you can always do what i did. i had plenty of esc's,recievers and servos from my
    cars and i wanted to build a boat. i bought a toy boat for like 40$ and spent a day
    putting in all my gear. the toy boat could be drivin out of the box but the controller
    and radio gear are toy grade, but give you a feel for a boat.
    it has been trial and error for me but now my toy boat is water cooled with a beefed
    up motor,waterproof electrics and its cost me nothing. but as i said trial and error
    mostly error because i could find no valid info. but it has been fun.
    good luck.
    its not because we cant, its because we cant be bothered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For your first boat start with electric power.Nitro is a pain when it decides to die in the middle of a pond. Wood boats come in all sorts of styles from tankers to row boats. If you are into scratch building, Svensens free model boat plans is cheap and for the most part easy to build plans. Search the net and you can get all sorts of help maybe advertise on RC Universe that you are looking for a kit.