Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

new to boats

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:24 PM
NjBasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to boats

hey guys i usually do rc cars but switching over to boats. but alot of boats to see are rtrs. i want some kits. where are some good fun kits that are easy to start with?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: new to boats

I am really not sure how big you want to go, or what you consider easy? but if you want to build wood and like the looks of a crackerbox you might try the ones made by ZIPPKITS. Its pretty straight forward with a nice instruction book. its easy to find much more complicated builds. In the end its what interests you that will be the easiest.
I built the I box from ZIPPKITS, and other than getting my driveshaft wrong the first couple tries it built pretty easy...
Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 PM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: NjBasher

hey guys i usually do rc cars but switching over to boats. but alot of boats to see are rtrs. i want some kits. where are some good fun kits that are easy to start with?
How about you start off with your budget. These boats can start in the couple hundred dollar range and go into the thousands. Another thing to consider is where do you plan to use this boat.....ocean, pond? Just need all the pieces to lead you in the right direction. The budget is #1 and your experience comes in second.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Racer21

I totally agree that budget comes first...don't go crazy with something that you can't afford. This is a hobby..remember?
That being said, your skill level really comes into play. Almost any manufacturer has kits available for you to build your own boat...it's up to you to decide how much of the work you want to do!

Good luck to you...sounds like you have some great expectations!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:51 AM
NjBasher

yeah i would like to build a wooden boat kit. something that looks pretty scale. but not a static display model i want the rc. i guess maybe for the kit anywhere from 100-200 dollars for the kit only.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
TCHedOff

I just finished a .12 JAP rigger - plans are free: wood costs ($30), .12 Novarossi engine ($165) 2-servos ($60), car header ($15), pipe ($40), flexshaft/propshaft ($25 premade); prop s/b ($40) and strut (is optional - $30); epoxy ($30); 60% fuel $(40) - thats @ $500 - and several of these costs can be lowered if you do yourself. But that is about as "budget" as it gets.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:33 AM
monsterbombs

depending on how creative you are and if you have experience modifying things,
you can always do what i did. i had plenty of esc's,recievers and servos from my
cars and i wanted to build a boat. i bought a toy boat for like 40$ and spent a day
putting in all my gear. the toy boat could be drivin out of the box but the controller
and radio gear are toy grade, but give you a feel for a boat.
it has been trial and error for me but now my toy boat is water cooled with a beefed
up motor,waterproof electrics and its cost me nothing. but as i said trial and error
mostly error because i could find no valid info. but it has been fun.
good luck.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 AM
gauicanada
My Feedback: (12)

For your first boat start with electric power.Nitro is a pain when it decides to die in the middle of a pond. Wood boats come in all sorts of styles from tankers to row boats. If you are into scratch building, Svensens free model boat plans is cheap and for the most part easy to build plans. Search the net and you can get all sorts of help maybe advertise on RC Universe that you are looking for a kit.