Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which radio for boat?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Which radio for boat?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM
1249Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radio for boat?

Hello,

I have been out of r/c boating for several years and am interested in purchasing a mid-range priced radio system. I have run an ancient Futaba (75mhz ?) airplane system with no problems. I have also heard that they have a longer range than surface systems. Thoughts? I run my boats by myself and don't race. I have also heard a lot of bad things about 2.7 mhz systems losing control (Thoughts). Is there a practical use for a 3 channel system or is 2 channel O.K.? I don't need to spend a lot of money, but shy away from spending more than I need to. I am putting it in a Dumas Deep Vee 60 (nitro)and might put it in a Dumas deep vee 10 (Possible electric, currently COX .049)

P.S. I fly heli and have a JR 9303 system already

Any advise is appreciated.

Ed

Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Dan S

Default RE: Which radio for boat?

is your JR 9303 the 2.4Ghz system?
there is an advisory that came out in 2008 for the 9303 2.4, an electrical problem. if your radio is newer than 08 you should be good.

as for a good radio at good price, you have the Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz FASST system that works great.
Spektrum also has a new radio with the MR3000 (Marine) receiver 2.4Ghz that is suppose to be working good which solved the problems that they had before in boats.

3 channel is fine and does not cost more, even if you don't use it right away, if the time comes that you do need it than you have it.

Dan.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 AM
TCHedOff

A third channel is often used to control a 3rd servo that is connected to a remote needle to fine tune the fuel mixture while the boat is running/racing. I have 1 boat w/3rd channel and 1 w/o 3rd channel. Frankly, unless your a SERIOUS racer, it isnt needed.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 AM
1249Ed

My JR 9303 is the older FM version. I haven't had any problems with it.

Ed
ORIGINAL: Dan S

is your JR 9303 the 2.4Ghz system?
there is an advisory that came out in 2008 for the 9303 2.4, an electrical problem. if your radio is newer than 08 you should be good.

as for a good radio at good price, you have the Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz FASST system that works great.
Spektrum also has a new radio with the MR3000 (Marine) receiver 2.4Ghz that is suppose to be working good which solved the problems that they had before in boats.

3 channel is fine and does not cost more, even if you don't use it right away, if the time comes that you do need it than you have it.

Dan.