Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

PAINTING 101

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 PM
unclecrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PAINTING 101

I forget what forum I was on but the guy said they told him as long as he did his spraying out doors and in stages that a resperator was sufficient. Its not and he was exposing anyone in the area to the vapors. He said it actually messed up his lungs for about 10 days or more. I didnt know it there is actually acids in the catylist which tear your lungs up and your skin. I wondered why I was so red in the face after spraying a yellow polyurethane. And I was only in the garage long enough to spray a coat and leave till it flashed. Hit and run kind of deal. But now im going to be ever more careful.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:11 AM
misshydro

ORIGINAL: srw1960

My stick it in your pipe and smoke it coment was not intended nor directed towards anybody..I was implying wouldnt it be funny if after all this time a simple inexpensive product works....after all you never know until you try.... I try very hard not to make asumptions and I felt it was worth testing the minwax stuff sure would have been nice if it was fuel proof...I have been sick today and didnt get a chance to test the gasoline on it..ill try to do that tomorrow....

As far as DuPONT IMRON goes..that was the very first ployurethane paint made..It came out at the height of my auto paint career and I sprayed a TON of it on everything from yes rc boats to industrial trailers and hot rods...Almost impossible to spray without a respirator Miss hydro is right couple minutes and you cant breathe period.
Like I said I sprayed a ton of it and used a respirator but I still have to wonder even after taking the precautions if thats why Im sitting here with 36 tumors in my lungs?

WHATEVER you are spraying boats with USE CAUTION wear a respirator and HEAVY RUBBER GLOVES keep it off your skin no matter what it is your using..

Miss hydro if i offended you with the pipe coment i do apologize it was not my intent!

TCHedoff probably has the best solution and thats the 2k spray can clear coat kinda pricey buttttt if its gotta be fuel proof not to many options if you dont have paint equipment unless you have a friend at a body shop .....

Again ill test it with gasoline oil mix tomorrow and see what happens that would at least help the gas guys
no proublem srw1960,I was being a miss smartypant..lol!!..TC if any of your friends have a 10 gallon air compressor?If so that will work,plus you can buy a cheap HVLP gravity feed spray gun for 50 dollars or less at harborfreight...My boyfriend when he was just out of hight school he painted his uncles old chevy pickup in front of his house out side..He used a 20 gallon aircompressor and that did a complete paint job..man I feel alittle sorry for that compressor..even a 5 gallon should work too.. you can find the 5 and 10 gallons compressers under110 dollars.some at 89-100 price rang..
Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 PM
srw1960

Im glad were cool.....and on the compressor note just an FYI I bought a rigid dual tank compressor thats designed for nail guns I think the 2 tanks might add up to 5 gallon capacity and the compressor is like a 2 horse motor..and it worked great to run my binks no 7 to paint my brotheres mercedes in his garage....so if it did that itll run an hvlp no problemo...I still have it and use it when I need a portable compressor..I am going to continue to search for a good spray can clear that will do what we want someone has to make one..ill do my best to find it
Old 09-14-2009, 12:03 AM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: srw1960

Im glad were cool.....and on the compressor note just an FYI I bought a rigid dual tank compressor thats designed for nail guns I think the 2 tanks might add up to 5 gallon capacity and the compressor is like a 2 horse motor..and it worked great to run my binks no 7 to paint my brotheres mercedes in his garage....so if it did that itll run an hvlp no problemo...I still have it and use it when I need a portable compressor..I am going to continue to search for a good spray can clear that will do what we want someone has to make one..ill do my best to find it
When I was in a pinch and my bro took the big compressor all I had was an airbrush compressor. To paint my 38in. dumas I would let it pump up using a regular size gun. I would spray one way and back the other and stand there and let it pump up again.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 AM
srw1960

LOL yup been there done that too sucks but it will work..gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes
Old 09-14-2009, 12:26 AM
unclecrash

Actually turned out pretty darn good.