Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

O/B Rigger Tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Blackout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/B Rigger Tech

I hope to build an O/B rigger from scratch this winter and was looking for some tech.

I know the rear sponsons are moved back to help support the o/b engine in corners. I have also read that the turn fin is usually placed farther to the rear. Any other differences between i/b and o/b riggers?

Also, I found a 1991 magazine article on Mark Grim's Predator. The article makes mention of a "side mount rudder". What is that? I don't think they were talking about the turn fin? I assumed o/b riggers steered with the engine, not a rudder.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: O/B Rigger Tech

The rear sponsons have to be large enough to keep the boat afloat when the engine dies. Because the CG is farther to the rear on an OB, the turn fin (which has to be mounted near the CG) is farther aft. With few exceptions (OPC), fast boats don't turn well with a steerable outboard - it causes hooking when turning. The faster OB rigger guys were locking the OB straight ahead and using a rudder on the right (like an IB rigger does) to steer. Some racing rules allwed this, some did not.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:14 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What size rigger with what motor/engine?

Ryan
Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Blackout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.5 size rigger. Probably use a stock o.s. first, then upgrade to something faster if all goes well with the hull.