Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

new zippkits rigger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

new zippkits rigger

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 07:28 AM
quicksilver78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new zippkits rigger

JAE 12G Nitro Rigger has anyone started building one yet
Old 09-21-2009, 08:36 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: new zippkits rigger

Not yet, my kits should be in today's mail.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17001.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1279378  
Old 09-22-2009, 12:40 PM
TCHedOff

I have one finished.... was drawn up for me by Rod before the kits & plans went public.... and have been racing it at the local club w/success (got a 1st and a 2nd last weekend out of 5 boats - 3rd race my pit man "submarined" my boat launching it, and he couldnt recover it before time was up). Was a ALOT of FUN!!
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Ron Olson

My kits showed up Monday morning. I went through the instructions last night at work during breaktime.
So far the directions look very good but I might add my personal touches that I hope will work, I'll let you know how it goes. Nothing slick but maybe a shortcut or two to make building faster plus possibly a carbon fiber radio box lid then down the road a small cowling to streamline the engine.
So, do you guys want a build thread on this boat?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Blackout

A build thread would be great.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I didn't know you built boats Ron
Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Ron Olson

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

I didn't know you built boats Ron
Thanks a lot pal! Most of my builds have been in fiberglass but there's also a EZ-Vee sitting on the building table right now. Normally I can't glue sawdust together but they built this kit to be fairly idiot-proof. I'm sure Joe didn't have me in mind when they put the kit and directions together but it doesn't look too bad if the builder pays attention.
This past weekend at the Hobart Hydro Masters, 3 of the 4 designers were there. Rod Geraghty I've talked to on the phone before but it was a first time meeting Rod Hall. Ron Zaker Jr. was also in attendance and Martin Truex Jr. was watching the race online. Rod had the .12 and .21 there. The .21 won the "B" hydro class!
If all goes well with the two .12's I'm building I might give the .21 version a shot when it comes out.

OK, I just realized that I didn't show the shots of the JAE's in this thread yet so here they are...........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64815.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1280425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10799.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1280426  
Old 09-23-2009, 07:44 AM
quicksilver78

i second that, i think this is going to be a popular boat now
ORIGINAL: Blackout

A build thread would be great.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay Ron, no getting excited. I want to see a build too, be nice to see someone else building something, you sure you don't want to build from plans instead?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:24 PM
srw1960

I plan on starting my kit next week.I think id rather see what Ron can do with his kits...Im sure ill have plenty of questions..want to see Rons personal touches..
I also read the instructions it looks pretty staright forward and well thought out..I have all my hardware together and will make my own motor mount so im ready to go soon as I finish the windy airboat I have on the bench..
Old 09-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Ron Olson

I should have used one of those smiling or laughing emoticons in my reply! < There it is! [sm=lol.gif]
As a matter of fact, I do have the plans that Rod sent out to anybody who wanted them but when I found out that Joe was going to do all of the hard work for about what it would cost me probably just for the wood alone, I bit. Actually my plan was to send the plans over to my sister and have her cut them out on one of her laser cutters. Now I've got to find out where Rod got those cool little nylon wheel collars at to keep the sponsons on the booms. I tried Du-Bro's before but they're simply way too heavy. Plan B would be to use something like radio box tape and zip ties.
srw, one little trick that I'll try on the first set of sponsons is to use double-sided adhesive tape (carpet tape but I get better stuff from work) to attach the sponson sides. This works as good as any glue that I've tried and zero cure time. It's super-thin also not to mention sticky. All joints will be glued though. I've still got some thin carbon fiber sheet that I can make a radio box and a possible fuel tank cover in just for the cool factor. I just love the look of carbon fiber so I use it where I can. I also have one of Grimmie's fuel cells that might just drop right there in place of the Sullivan 4 oz. tank but I've been typing to Walt Barney (Tanks 2 U) about having him make fuel cells for these hulls. He's waiting for his kit to show up the last time that I typed to him so he might be making a lot of them soon. His fuel cells might also be lighter than the Sullivan plastic tank.
In the plans they say that you can offset the tub a little to the right if you want. With another .12 'rigger that I worked on in the prototype stage, it was offset 3/4" to the right. This is something that can be played with once the boat is done and if you want to try a little tinkering with something on it.
When I talked to Rod during the weekend, he let me know that they're still not done messing with the design yet and that Martin Truex Jr. has alreay burned up 50 gallons of fuel playing with the test hulls. Yes, 50 gallons! I'm sitting here with a lousy gallon of 45%, a gallon of 50% and 2 gallons of 65%.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Ron Olson

OK guys, an update this morning from Rod Geraghty. Hopefully the .21 version will be ready in time for you to get what you really want for Christmas. Yes, that was a .45 version in the shots above, I didn't think that so was but just Rod going crazy with a new sheet of decals. A gas version is in the works along with a twin. A twin what wasn't mentioned, maybe for .67's. A .67 to .90 size will be the last in line.
Please don't inundate Joe or anyone else on the team of designers with questions as they will let us know when the hulls are going to be near a release date. I'll try my best to keep everyone updated as I find out.