Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Do You Lay Your Fiberglass?

Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

How Do You Lay Your Fiberglass?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do You Lay Your Fiberglass?

I had a question about fiberglass. Do you lay it in one giant piece, patches, or other. Can you also use like tissue paper (which is thinner and light weight). Just a thought.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 PM
toesupwa

Default RE: How Do You Lay Your Fiberglass?

It depends on what you are trying to glass...

For a flat easy one piece deck (CC type) then a one piece light mat is preferable...

If its a complicated mold, then crumpled pieces of mat should be used and worked in to the 'corners'...

Old 10-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Deathwish

Am working on a 55 1/2" hull. I was thinking of tissue paper to make it light then layer that.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: Deathwish

I had a question about fiberglass. Do you lay it in one giant piece, patches, or other. Can you also use like tissue paper (which is thinner and light weight). Just a thought.
Tissue paper used to blow your nose.......and does not have the strength that strands of fiberglass has so no, with almost 20 years working with fiberglass on my own and in boat repair and manufacturing shops I've never heard of that. UNLESS of coarse you're speaking of a very light weight glass cloth in which you would have to add MANY layers to get any rigidity.

There is no magic formula as to what is the BEST layup. To get the best answers to you without turning this thread into "who does the best layups", or "this material is better than what you're using", we need more information..... Are you working from scratch on a mold laying up your own hull in it? Are you doing a repair? Are you thinking you need to add another layer in an existing hull for extra stiffness?(rarely ever necessary by the way). Would like to help you, just let us know exactly what you're doing.

In the meantime, my website has TONS of information on how to lay up a hull similar in size to the one you mentioned. It shows how to fill the corners and tight spots to actually laying in the glass.

www.firststatecomposites.com/howitsdone_.html
Old 10-24-2009, 03:19 PM
misshydro

Justaddwater.. I saw two boats at the races that the guys used paper shop towles as a fiberglass mat then soked it in epoxy reson and layed it over the hole...it was different..never seen that done before..The towle has looks like strings threw it.. it's the blue shop towle rages you use in bodyshops..He might be talk about them?
Old 10-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

No Misshydro, he was refering to the tissue covering used on the small aircraft models. I would have to agree with Dreamin Hemi on this one, stick with the lightweight glass.

Deathwish, is this going on your Missouri? If so, I'd be more inclined to do it in no less than three pieces. I'd lay out one to cover the whole bottom ond one overlapping that on each side going up to deck level. You may have to piece the bow and stern together due to their shapes. Half to three quarter ounce glass would probably be enough.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Deathwish

What i meant for tissue paper is like the stuff tracing paper is made out of or looks like it. Am doing a fully 55 1/2" battleship (Hull only) but keeping it light weight. Yea am sticking it on my USS Missouri i have enough to do the hull a couple of times. My steps are as follow: Wet hull with fiberglass resin place my tissue paper or tracing paper over it. Smooth out the wrinkles and bubble's. Dry. Again Overlap the first layer with the same stuff and wet it . then let that dry and maybe do a third layer. It may sound silly but it's worth the try. After it all has dried well enough hand sand any spot's i need to. Also when you say light mat how many oz. should i be looking for. Planning to buy it from ebay or my local hobby store.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I suggested in my last post to use either .5 or .75 ounce. Don't think I would try the paper you just described. MOst of the strength comes from the resin/epoxy getting between the fibers. Paper of the sort you're talking about is too dense to let the resin/epoxy get really soaked into it.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Umi_Ryuzuki

If you are just using laquer and paper, use the Silkspan that they paper the model
airplanes with. We construct the balsa hulls for the combat warships that way.

Laquer, then press the silkspan into the laquer and laquer it down, then move to the next section.
Afterward, sand out the bubbles, and apply a bit more silkspan to patch.
To finish, just apply more laquer inside and out, then sand smooth.

Same process as fiberglass, just laquer and paper.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:22 AM
Deathwish

Sounds like what i want to do. Thanks Umi