Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

? CA glue ??

Old 10-25-2009, 06:57 PM
blizard05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? CA glue ??

What can I use to get CA off my fingers?? Larry
Old 10-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: ? CA glue ??

Removing Super Glue - http://www.supergluecorp.com/removingsuperglue.html

Super Glue is renowned the world over for the strength of its bonds, its versatility of use, and easy application. Whether a hole needs a seal or a crack needs repairing, Super Glue is the first thing that craftspersons, hobbyists, and contractors use for all their construction or repair needs.

Because Super Glue is so strong and bonds so fast, some people may find that they have accidentally glued two fingers together, or found that that small piece of balsa wood or plastic from a model they were building has completely bonded to their skin! Not to worry, for even though Super Glue is incredibly strong, it has one weakness: acetone.

Acetone is often found in household nail polish remover, and a small amount on the end of a Q-tip or cotton swab applied directly to the glue should dissolve the bond without damaging the skin. Be very cautious in gently peeling the skin apart as in removing a bandage from the skin; pulling the skin apart may rip the skin! Read the label to make sure that the remover actually contains acetone, as more and more manufacturers are turning away from the chemical because of the growing popularity of acrylic nails (which are loosened by acetone).

Be careful - straight acetone will discolor a number of fabrics and can mar the finish of laminated counter tops (mainly the darker colored ones). Straight Acetone defats the skin; wash with soap and water after use and apply hand lotion to replenish the skin and remove any dryness effects. Use acetone sparingly and cautiously with these tips in the following situations:

Clothing/Fabrics
Use acetone and an old toothbrush, reapplying the acetone a number of times and brushing to remove it layer-by-layer. Work on outside and then on inside. May not come off entirely.
Counters, tables, floors, etc.
Use acetone to soften glue and then start working at the glue. Brush, scrape, shave, peel, sand or whatever mechanical means is available to work the glue off. Reapply acetone and continue to work at the glue.
Glass
Standard Super Glue is not recommended to be used for glass bonding applications. If bonded, soak in water until parts come apart.
The best suggestion is to properly cover your work area with metal foil before use - and always work with Super Glue and other adhesives in a well-ventilated area!

Should Super Glue bond to any body part where acetone should not be applied, such as the lips or eyes, the following steps will help you get out of any sticky situation!

Skin
Immerse bonded areas in warm, soapy water. Peel or roll skin apart; a spatula or teaspoon handle or even a pencil will help. Remove cured adhesive with warm, soapy water (may take several applications). Fingernail polish remover with an acetone base has also been successful for removal of cured adhesive from skin.
Lips
If lips are accidentally stuck together, apply a generous amount of warm water and encourage maximum wetting and pressure from saliva from inside the mouth. Peel or roll (do not pull) lips apart. It is almost impossible to swallow the adhesive as a liquid. The adhesive solidifies upon contact with saliva (moisture) and could adhere to the inside of the mouth. Saliva will lift the adhesive in 1-2 days, avoid swallowing the adhesive after detachment.
Eyelid
In the event that eyelids are stuck together or bonded to the eyeball, wash thoroughly with warm water and apply a gauze patch. The eye will open without further action within 1-4 days. To our knowledge there has never been a documented case of adhesive in the eye causing permanent damage. Do not try to force eyes open.
Eyeball
The adhesive will attach itself to the eye protein and will disassociate from it over time, usually within several hours. Periods of weeping and double vision may be experienced until clearance is achieved. Use of a warmed 3% sodium bicarbonate solution to wash eyes repeatedly may assist in aiding more rapid removal of the adhesive.
WE SUGGEST THAT ALL INCIDENTS OF EYE EXPOSURE TO CYANOACRYLATE ADHESIVE (SUPER GLUE) BE DISCUSSED WITH A PHYSICIAN.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:17 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata
WE SUGGEST THAT ALL INCIDENTS OF EYE EXPOSURE TO CYANOACRYLATE ADHESIVE (SUPER GLUE) BE DISCUSSED WITH A PHYSICIAN.

Been there, done that!!!! 2 liters of saline did the trick!

If on the skin, also use skin lotion. works wonders!
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

CA glue also does not like heat, so Hot water can be used to work of the bits stuck to skin.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 AM
toesupwa

I like picking it off of my fingers... It gives me something to do in the evening..
Old 10-28-2009, 11:46 AM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

A sanding block with medium grade paper.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Tachikaze

I always make sure it is dry before I pick my nose or go to the bathroom.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Justaddwata

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tachikaze

I always make sure it is dry before I pick my nose or go to the bathroom.
I am surprised they do not say those very words on the tube

I remember a court case where an ex lover used superglue on her hand and his unmentionables. I am not sure how he explained that one to his wife. Speaking of which - what you need glue removal advice for there Larry
Old 10-29-2009, 05:06 PM
blizard05

Building another boat from scratch, the Vrolijkheid. The boat from the movie "Father Goose" Larry
Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS

ORIGINAL: blizard05

Building another boat from scratch, the Vrolijkheid. The boat from the movie ''Father Goose'' Larry
Do a build thread please.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Bliz, I'm thinking that Hobbico or somebody makes what looks like a bar of soap that you can use to remove CA from your body parts.
I've learned the hard way to keep a bottle of debonder handy.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:00 AM
blizard05

ORIGINAL: DONS BOAT WORKS

ORIGINAL: blizard05

Building another boat from scratch, the Vrolijkheid. The boat from the movie ''Father Goose'' Larry
Do a build thread please.
I would love to,but I am old school and don't have a dig camera.Yoy can find the plans in RCBM Fall 2006 Larry
Old 10-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You dont' need a digital camera. Many film processing places can make you a CD from the negatives while they are being printed. Load CD into your PC and then you can post them in the forums.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:42 AM
blizard05

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

You dont' need a digital camera. Many film processing places can make you a CD from the negatives while they are being printed. Load CD into your PC and then you can post them in the forums.
Can't do that,don't have a PC. Using a web tv setup.looking to get a PC soon