Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help with a Graupner Kit "Systems"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Help with a Graupner Kit "Systems"

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
mlarsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a Graupner Kit "Systems"

I have built a few .60 and 90 size helicopters but never considered a boat until I got a deal on a Graupner Boat. Go Figure?

Just woundering if anyone knows where I can get some good buildinfo or pass some knowledge on to a newbie to this arena.

If this helps this is kind of whatI was thinking of doing if itlooks wrong let me know

nitro power K&B 3.5cc, water cooled engine?
Clutch/ flywheel
Pipesw/ silencer?
I have heli engines laying around can Imadify them to work also?
DS821 servos for throttle and steering (left overs from a heli)
Do Imake a waterproof box or buy one?
Prop?
Rutter?
Trim Tabs?
Can I use my Futaba 7C 2.4 radio or do Ineed to buy a 3 channel?

Thinking about this know, any information will help.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:26 PM
R.J. West

Default RE: Help with a Graupner Kit

I built that kit back in the early 90's. I used the graupners dual geared drive and 12 cells. The boat can be built either electric or nitro. You could use the k&b .21 although Graupner reconmends the OS MAX 21 RX-M. Graupner still sells the Systems and its a pretty cool boat, I'm sure your gonna have a blast with it...
I wouldnt use a heli or any other engine not designed for marine use. Marine engines are designed for the torque/rpm/cooling required for marine use, they also, for the most part come with a flywheel...
Octura would be my hardware of choice for that boat. They make something called a strutter, its a combination rudder and strut, check out pic...
For the rudder I would reconmend hitec servos, the Mg645 is very popular. any standard size servo is fine for the throttle, even micro servos...Now as far as the radio is concerned, you must use a radio for surface only....I'm not familar with the radio you mention, but if its designed for helicopters or airplanes, you cannot use it for you boat. And that per FCC for safety..
You dont really need a thrid channel for rc boats. one for throttle and the other for rudder is all you need to get going, I know some use a 3 channel for mixture control....
You can make a radio box yourself at home with 1/8 plywood....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63200.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1341837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29943.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1341838  
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Ghost in the shell

Default RE: Help with a Graupner Kit

ORIGINAL: mlarsen

I have built a few .60 and 90 size helicopters but never considered a boat until I got a deal on a Graupner Boat. Go Figure?

Just woundering if anyone knows where I can get some good build info or pass some knowledge on to a newbie to this arena.

If this helps this is kind of what I was thinking of doing if it looks wrong let me know

nitro power K&B 3.5cc, water cooled engine?
Clutch/ flywheel
Pipes w/ silencer?
I have heli engines laying around can I madify them to work also?
DS821 servos for throttle and steering (left overs from a heli)
Do I make a waterproof box or buy one?
Prop?
Rutter?
Trim Tabs?
Can I use my Futaba 7C 2.4 radio or do I need to buy a 3 channel?

Thinking about this know, any information will help.

your servos are according to google, high torque. im not an IC runner but i cant see a problem there
your radio, 2.4ghz, its surface legal, just remember to tell it "not heli" when you program the model parameters.
waterproof box... if your reciever case (the clear plastic one that the rx comes in from the supplier with the instructions in it) should work, just drill a couple of holes in it for the plug extention leads to go through