Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

prop test tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM
ekim1940

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop test tank

I have built a prop test tank to check KVA and watts for my motors . I have a AMP & WATT meter from Hobby City and I can check what each prop will produce on each motor . I can chenge battery's and props to get the max for my KVA .Also you can check to see if you have your ESC program right . It is a must it will supprise you about youe set up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58839.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1382410  
Old 02-19-2010, 10:28 PM
DONS BOAT WORKS
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: prop test tank

Cool!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can vary the depth of the water also to see what a difference that makes but from the setup I think that it will do it by itself! You're going to toss a lot of water out of that box in no time.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:38 AM
wave waker

nice idea and initiative, keep posting of result and video of the testing..
Old 02-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just curious what you will really be learning from this setup. I could see some value with a gas or nitro as a means of breaking in a motor or getting a carb adjusted. But I am not sure it will give much real world info on a prop setup for a motor as a boat will move and lower the resistance the prop has on the water. Unless your thinking of a tug boat setup where you will just me moving water from a possible stationary boat. Just curious
Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 AM
ekim1940

This post is to justaddwater I ran my boats last year and they were not as fast as i thaugh they should be . With the test tank I found out they were not achieving full watts and amps . I am running 36/74 inrunners with 1778 t0 2800 kva . If you are licky enough to get all the from the manifactor one of the motor was listed as 1000 watts and the setup I was using was only producing 560 watts not enough and the amps was far below what it should be .By using the test tank I was able to get the watts up and and amps where they should be .I also have atac so I can register the prop speed . For me it works without puting the boat in the water and not over amping the speed control . Thank You for your remarks
Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 PM
c-cat

I think justaddwata meant, the test set up may be an overload situation. Static water infeed vs. dynamic. If your boat tops out at 50mph, shouldn't the tank water be doing 50mph (prior to) the prop?
Not pickin on ya, it is a cool idea, fun one too I bet.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM
c-cat

After some thought on the test tank possibilities, give this some thought. A circular tank, with a central hub. (think whirling sprinkler) Motor and drive-train on one end, counter weight on the other. With this set up the water remains as it should, at rest, while the propeller travels across it. A rudder can be placed behind for drag realizm as well as water pickups. revolutions can be monitored and calculated into speed. Electrics will need a radio box with power supply centrally mounted, while gas engines will need be only throttled. Definate possibilities. Hmmmm,
Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If I were going to make a testing tank I'd have it so that I could place the hole boat in there (yeah, it would have to be a big tank so get the cattle out of the way!) so that I could hold the boat in place somewhat and hook the hull up to a fishing scale to measure pounds of thrust.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:06 AM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is good for comparing one of the same item against another. Prop to prop...motor to motor...etc.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:32 AM
TCHedOff

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

If I were going to make a testing tank I'd have it so that I could place the hole boat in there (yeah, it would have to be a big tank so get the cattle out of the way!) so that I could hold the boat in place somewhat and hook the hull up to a fishing scale to measure pounds of thrust.
We used the son's inflatable pool once - should have seen how wet the wife & I got!!