RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Boat Fatalities - News stories. PLEASE BE SAFE (updated 2-8-2011

Old 03-13-2016, 11:58 PM
Justaddwata

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

July 11, 2015
Police have confirmed a body found in the Brisbane River last week was that of a man who had been reported missing after trying to retrieve a remote control boat on July 11.
Queensland Police on Friday completed a formal identification of the body found at Yeronga on July 15.
Police searching the river for the man on July 11. Photo: Jorge BrancoPolice said the Collingwood Park man was 40 years old, correcting a previous statement that the man was 44.
The death is not considered suspicious.
The man's disappearance on July 11 triggered a large search of the river involving police, SES and firefighters.
It was believed the man waded into the river from a boat ramp on the Brisbane Corso but was swept away, with his partner last sighting him between 200 and 400 metres west of the Somerville House Water Sports Facility.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:00 AM
Justaddwata

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

June 15, 2015
AURORA: A 55-year-old Bedford man has been identified as the drowning victim Saturday evening at Sunny Lake Park in Aurora.
Portage County coroner’s chief investigator Thomas Decker said Monday that Howard Kutchmark drowned in a lake at the park.
“We just looked to see if there was any medical reason that would have caused him to die before drowning,” Decker said. “We could not find one. My guess is he probably got fatigued and ended up under water.”
Aurora Fire Chief David Barnes said Kutchmark, his sister and brother-in-law were at the lake Saturday operating two remote control boats, when there was a problem with one of the boats.
“Kutchmark swam out to see about the boat, when he didn’t return his family thought he swam to another shore and took a walking trail back to where they were gathered,” Barnes said “They went looking for him and called when they couldn’t find him.”
Relatives called for help around 9:45 p.m.
“We searched with sonar units until about 1 a.m., police secured the park and then we came back in the morning to search in the daylight,” Barnes said.
The body was recovered about 1 p.m. Sunday.
Barnes said there is no swimming allowed at the 14 acre city-owned park. It is a fishing lake and recreation area.
Kutchmark’s body was discovered about 200 yards into the lake.
Barnes said about 25 to 30 people helped from several agencies in the recovery, including the Aurora Fire Department, Aurora Police Department, Ohio Division of Watercraft and the Cuyahoga County Southwest Emergency Response Team.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:05 PM
The Saylors

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok i know that i will get flack for this but still. I get that these people lost their lives and it IS VERY tragic that they died in the name of trying to have fun but why is it so hard to wear a life jacket? I feel like this thread (even though i doubt that was the intent at all) kinda sorta makes the boats the ones at fault which i don't feel is true. I really don't want to see another witch hunt like the one that's currently going on with the drones vs model planes issue. You can get killed doing just about anything these day, hell every time i lay a finger on my street bike i take my life, not only into my own hands, but also I am forced to put it in the hands of other drivers. For this reason i wear protective gear because if i didn't it would make me a fool! It's sad that these families had to go through this as i know first hand how horrible it can be to lose family in any sort of accident. When my uncle died in a car crash 8 years ago did i blame Chevy for making a sports car that can do 140 mph? No! As much as it hurts to say out loud i blame my uncle for being foolish enough to not wear a seat belt while driving that fast which the coroner said that likely would have saved him. I loved him very much and miss him dearly but he should be ashamed for how much it hurt the family to lose him like that at only 27 years old over acting dumb. My Grandma still cries after almost a decade because she bought him the car as a birthday present My point is that you should be responsible enough to take the extra minute to think things through and be safe not only to spare yourself but the people who care for you. Don't blame the toys, blame the irresponsible ones that use them. Tear me up if you like but that's how i feel about this kind of thing.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Ron Olson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nobody ever said that it was a boats fault. It's not a firearms fault that it was used to murder somebody with.
These threads were started when I was still one of 2 boating forums Mod's here. These are merely informative threads and postings to make people aware what the consequences can be if you don't think ahead while out running our boats. I go prepared with a fishing pole and a rowboat. I know the water where I run and what my capabilities are. I don't swim after dead boats and rarely go more than knee-deep to get one on foot.
We simply can not explain the actions of those who died. The price of a most isn't more than a life. Uneducated people don't know how fast hypothermia can set in and the water doesn't have to be as cold as some think. River water moves faster than it appears to which is why I tell people not to run their boats in rivers.
Some of the best swimmers around have drowned. We've had people near me who didn't know what was under the surface and got tangled in weeds not 20 feet from shore and went under.
We're not RC cars and trucks. We're not planes and helicopters although I know there have been bad injuries and deaths from them. You can die climbing out of bed in the morning but if you can prevent it you can.
We see these losses as those than could have been prevented. We see traffic accidents every day that shouldn't have happened.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:54 PM
The Saylors

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know that no one has said directly that the boats are to blame, had that been the case my post would have been more flame than it was. Please understand that i'm not against what this post is attempting to do because i also advocate safety as well! I just remember that this was how it has started with a lot of the fun stuff that got banned because people were too dumb to handle it. People get to talking about the dangers of a product and soon you have a lobby of "concerned/nosy" mothers who think their opinion should be inflicted on everyone and unfortunately succeed. Good example of that was the Yamaha banshee. Yamaha can't sell or even make them because people got careless with what was essentially RTR race bike and got them selves killed or worse and ya it sucks that they did that but should that make it so that no one can have one especially those that have the skill to handle it? Another is the 3 wheeler. Were they death machines? Of course! But did that give the government the right to say you cant even register them anymore essentially making them illegal? IMO nope! The list could go on forever, i honestly just don't wanna see anything else taken from those who respect what they have due to someone else's negligence if that makes sense.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Justaddwata

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My thought behind this thread and the various tragic updates I have added is really just to raise awareness within the community that we must always exercise care and judgement when we boat and turn up at the lake with a retrieval plan in mind before the boat stops in the middle of the lake. And if it does - we need to let it go instead of swim for it.

I heard from someone this week regarding this thread and it left a mark with him. One lost boater is one too many for this small passionate community.

There are a million ways to die - retrieving your RC boat should not be one of them!!

Search this Thread